[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by avid1010
[Today at 09:16:40 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 07:22:54 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Curious on how prepared MU is on program  (Read 10866 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Curious on how prepared MU is on program
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2019, 02:13:11 PM »
The Lens
I am very good with your list.

So am I.   I’d also like to add some super models to my list to date in the event I should not be married. 

In both cases, the lists aren’t happening.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2019, 02:15:30 PM »
Our fanbase is small and tame as hell compared to a lot of other programs. And yet those coaches seem to be able to deal with it.

There are certain programs you don’t leave.

Let’s just say this, if Wojo left for a UNLV it would just be another stamp on the stepping stone...I would perition for a nickname change to MU Stones as the official mascot.  We could schedule Slippery Rock University and have some fun.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2019, 02:17:01 PM »
There are certain programs you don’t leave.

Let’s just say this, if Wojo left for a UNLV it would just be another stamp on the stepping stone...I would perition for a nickname change to MU Stones as the official mascot.  We could schedule Slippery Rock University and have some fun.
No it wouldn’t. It would suggest Wojo jumped before being pushed.
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2019, 02:21:22 PM »
No it wouldn’t. It would suggest Wojo jumped before being pushed.

No one is suggesting he is going to be pushed except for some MU fans that are in the fetal position rocking back and forth.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2019, 02:34:02 PM »
No one is suggesting he is going to be pushed except for some MU fans that are in the fetal position rocking back and forth.
In the hypothetical scenario that you referenced that would not indicate MU is a stepping stone job. It would indicate Wojo jumped before he was pushed. And that’s what national perception would be. You don’t use a “stepping stone” job to step down to a lower tier
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:35:37 PM by NickelDimer »
No Finish Line

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2019, 02:58:36 PM »
You don’t use a “stepping stone” job to step down to a lower tier

Buzz did.

But to the original point, as keefe said, MU is prepared. It just takes some phone calls. Schools that are willing to spend what MU does are always prepared.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2019, 02:59:49 PM »
In the hypothetical scenario that you referenced that would not indicate MU is a stepping stone job. It would indicate Wojo jumped before he was pushed. And that’s what national perception would be. You don’t use a “stepping stone” job to step down to a lower tier

That's exactly what Buzzard did.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2019, 03:08:02 PM »
The Lens

There is no doubt MU can lure away a big name. The biggest name they have chased in last few coaches was Shaka and they had big time chance of landing him. Everyone on here makes excuses, hard place to recruit to, can’t land a big name coach and the list goes on.
As for Crash’s post on being prepared, that is fine and dandy. Who is preparing the type of coach desired? What is their ball background? Hiring a search firm is only as good as the info they are provided.
I can say with 100% confidence, that the two best outside hires (KO and Crean) was done by an outside group that made it happen. Every other hire has been made in house and outside of Buzz, how did they work out?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2019, 03:20:17 PM »
That's exactly what Buzzard did.
Was he not pushed?
No Finish Line

Goose

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2019, 03:21:46 PM »
Nickel

While I love Cheeks as a poster, I do not believe he is already right. He is always steadfast in his posts.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2019, 03:25:51 PM »
No doubt goose. I enjoy watching him chase his tail though.
No Finish Line

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2019, 03:26:31 PM »
Was he not pushed?

He clashed with the AD. The AD was fired.
The new president tried to rein him in. The new president was ousted.
Does this sound like being pushed out?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2019, 03:26:46 PM »
The Lens

There is no doubt MU can lure away a big name. The biggest name they have chased in last few coaches was Shaka and they had big time chance of landing him. Everyone on here makes excuses, hard place to recruit to, can’t land a big name coach and the list goes on.
As for Crash’s post on being prepared, that is fine and dandy. Who is preparing the type of coach desired? What is their ball background? Hiring a search firm is only as good as the info they are provided.
I can say with 100% confidence, that the two best outside hires (KO and Crean) was done by an outside group that made it happen. Every other hire has been made in house and outside of Buzz, how did they work out?

With all due respect, Shaka was a coach at a mid major.  We have not come close to luring away a coach at a high level (non mid-major) coach.  And I say this as someone that was excited with the idea of getting Shaka.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2019, 03:30:03 PM »
Cheeks
Come on, Shaka was a big fish. Sometimes you like to argue for sake of arguing. For the record, if you did not think Shaka was a big fish, so be it.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2019, 03:30:16 PM »
He clashed with the AD. The AD was fired.
The new president tried to rein him in. The new president was ousted.
Does this sound like being pushed out?
It’s safe to say the door was opened and no one stood in his way. Let’s not act like his departure was like Crean’s. Crean absolutely viewed and used MU as a stepping stone.
No Finish Line

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2019, 03:30:24 PM »
We have not come close to luring away a coach at a high level (non mid-major) coach.

Cuonzo Martin practically begged for the job five years ago.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2019, 03:31:13 PM »
Was he not pushed?

Nope.  Were they accepting of the fact he left, yup.  But he was not pushed.  Now, the converted of the Messiah will say things like they made it so hard for him to succeed, he was effectively pushed out.  Yes, we forced him to run an ethical program, not lie to his bosses, and better control his team....you know, really crazy stuff.   ::)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2019, 03:32:09 PM »
It’s safe to say the door was opened and no one stood in his way. Let’s not act like his departure was like Crean’s.

Let's not pretend that "no one stood in his way" is the same as "pushed out."

The school fired the AD, ousted the president and made all sorts of other accommodations for Buzz, and he still wanted out. At that point, the only reasonable move was to not stand in his ay.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2019, 03:33:19 PM »
Nickel

While I love Cheeks as a poster, I do not believe he is already right. He is always steadfast in his posts.

Chico's Last Stand

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 03:35:24 PM by Jon »

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2019, 03:34:58 PM »
Let's not pretend that "no one stood in his way" is the same as "pushed out."

The school fired the AD, ousted the president and made all sorts of other accommodations for Buzz, and he still wanted out. At that point, the only reasonable move was to not stand in his ay.
We’re too far down this rabbit hole so just to reset and re-establish the point; cheeks says Wojo going to UNLV would indicate MU is a stepping stone. I said it would indicate he jumped before he was pushed. This has nothing to do with Buzz and getting into a drawn out semantical debate sounds...lame
No Finish Line

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2019, 03:35:20 PM »
I bet Marquette extends Wojo’s contract in the next two weeks.

He is the clean cut coach they want. He’s getting it recruits and good kids.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2019, 03:36:30 PM »
Cheeks
I might not know sh1t about MU ball, but I do know you are wrong in regards to Buzz’s departure. Was Buzz told a year before he left that MU would not stop him from exploring other options?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2019, 03:37:32 PM »
Nope.  Were they accepting of the fact he left, yup.  But he was not pushed.  Now, the converted of the Messiah will say things like they made it so hard for him to succeed, he was effectively pushed out.  Yes, we forced him to run an ethical program, not lie to his bosses, and better control his team....you know, really crazy stuff.   ::)
See above; semantics. He didn’t leave because he viewed it as career progression. It’s a wayside to a destination job. It doesn’t reflect on MU being a stepping stone in any way just like Wojo going to UNLV wouldn’t.
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2019, 03:37:42 PM »
Cheeks
Come on, Shaka was a big fish. Sometimes you like to argue for sake of arguing. For the record, if you did not think Shaka was a big fish, so be it.

In name, yes....but as we have seen, not exactly lighting the world on fire at a program that he should be lighting the world on fire with.  This is my problem with this approach we keep doing. We keep hiring "top assistants", but they have to prove themselves.  Or, go after top mid majors, who also have to prove themselves at the highest level. It certainly can work, no one is suggesting otherwise, but it's always a long wait and see.

I agree completely with you that Shaka was a big name, and again I was very excited by it and fully supportive of it....but we never have been able to get a PROVEN head coach from a major DI program.  That's all I'm saying. 

Look, I love Len's list.  Love it.  I'm pragmatic and know that it is never going to happen, but I will gladly eat crow if it does.

The landscape is littered with very good mid major coaches with big fish names that don't make it, and plenty that do.    From Monson to Minnesota from Gonzaga,

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2019, 03:37:49 PM »
Cheeks

I agree. Shaka was a hot name back then. You are exactly right.