[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

Would you fire a head coach with the following record...first job, 11-14, 20-8, 19-9, 14-11, 9-17 1 NIT win.  Second job...17-13, 10-17, 11-17, 24-10, 23-8...2 NCAA wins?

Yes
12 (19.4%)
No
50 (80.6%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: March 28, 2019, 08:28:01 PM

Author Topic: I poll for all you geniuses who want to fire our fine head coach  (Read 7266 times)

denverMU

• All American
Re: I poll for all you geniuses who want to fire our fine head coach
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2019, 09:09:33 PM »
I get where you're coming from.  But here is the rub.  What was Duke basketball before Coach K?  It literally did not exist on the map.

Go check wikipedia if you need some schooling on that.

Marquette though.  We existed before Wojo.  We were kings before Coach K coached a minute at Du

THAT is the issue.
Maybe you should take your own advice....I did

Duke 1977-78 NCAA Finalist
Duke 1978-79 NCAA round of 32
Duke 1979-80 NCAA Elite 8
Literally not on the map?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2019, 09:10:40 PM »
I get where you're coming from.  But here is the rub.  What was Duke basketball before Coach K?  It literally did not exist on the map.

Marquette though.  We existed before Wojo.  We were kings before Coach K coached a minute at Duke.

THAT is the issue.
?  He took over an Elite 8 team that was in the national championship game just three years prior.  You're right, I doubt any college basketball fan knew Duke existed when he took over.

PS.  Wojo is testing but has not yet exhausted by patience.

I see denverMU beat be to it.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2019, 09:13:23 PM »
Ah yes, you're right.  His logic was sound, but mine is wrong.

Got it.

mocking, but no rebuttal, but you're the one who is embarrassed.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I think we agree on Wojo. But the "choose the president" game is too much.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2019, 09:28:30 PM »
I think we agree on Wojo. But the "choose the president" game is too much.

That's the point.

Yeesh.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2019, 12:26:09 AM »
Maybe you should take your own advice....I did

Duke 1977-78 NCAA Finalist
Duke 1978-79 NCAA round of 32
Duke 1979-80 NCAA Elite 8
Literally not on the map?

Exactly. It wasn't what it is now, but it was still one of the better programs in the country.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2019, 12:29:30 AM »
Exactly. It wasn't what it is now, but it was still one of the better programs in the country.

So, logically, are you prepared to say that Wojo is on the same career trajectory as Coach K was at Duke in the 1980s?

I'll let you think on how absurd the original premise of this entire thread is before answering.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2019, 12:36:02 AM »
So, logically, are you prepared to say that Wojo is on the same career trajectory as Coach K was at Duke in the 1980s?

I'll let you think on how absurd the original premise of this entire thread is before answering.

That's not what I said at all. It's absurd to assert I did.

But saying Duke literally did not exist on the map is the height of ignorance. You made a ridiculous statement & were justly called on it. I'm not doubling down with an equally ridiculous statement.

Right now I don't know where I am with Wojo. Could he be the next K or Wright? I suppose, I mean anything's possible. Is there strong enough evidence to suggest he is? I don't believe so. I thought this year would be the decisive "is he or isn't he" year. We got 3 months of "he is" followed by a month of "he definitely isn't." At this point, I don't feel like I know any more than I did a year ago, which is rather frustrating.

I'm sure he'll be here next year, so I'll continue to tentatively support him because I support the program, but after the last month I feel he's more in a "prove the doubters wrong" than "prove the supporters right" situation.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2019, 12:43:51 AM »

They had a bump in performance under Bill Foster who had inherited a train wreck. We used to play Duke back then - those teams had Gminski, Spanarkel, Gene Banks.

One year they were #2 and we were struggling under Hank. We went to Cameron and beat them squarely. Al was calling the game and as the horn sounded Hank ran over to Al at the broadcast table and they did a high five.

It's funny but there was another Bill Foster coaching DI at the same time. That Bill Foster brought Clemson and Tree Rollins into the Arena. I think Marquardt was out from the car crash so we had Schlundt playing the 5. They beat us, barely, and The Tree went on to take Clemson to a Final Four. 

drbchilds

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2019, 01:29:46 AM »
“pick the guy you would vote for:

It is time to elect a new world leader, and only your vote counts. Here are the facts about the three leading candidates.

Candidate A - Associates with crooked politicians, and consults with astrologists. He's had two Mistresses. He also chain smokes and drinks 8 to 10 martinis a day.

Candidate B - He was kicked out of office twice, sleeps until noon, used opium in college and drinks a quart of whiskey every evening.

Candidate C - He is a decorated war hero. He's a vegetarian, doesn't smoke, drinks an occasional beer and never cheated on his wife.

Which of these candidates would be your choice? Decide first, then when i remember and enough of you have voted, i'll post the real identities of the candidates”

A is FDR
B is Churchill
C is Hitler

Goose

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 05:14:43 AM »
Crash
Are you sure that W against Duke was at Cameron? Hank and the boys upset Duke in Madison for a big, big victory for Hank. I don’t know remember the win at Cameron, but I am an old man and getting forgetful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2019, 08:03:00 AM »
You pick the guy you would vote for:

It is time to elect a new world leader, and only your vote counts. Here are the facts about the three leading candidates.

Candidate A - Associates with crooked politicians, and consults with astrologists. He's had two Mistresses. He also chain smokes and drinks 8 to 10 martinis a day.

Candidate B - He was kicked out of office twice, sleeps until noon, used opium in college and drinks a quart of whiskey every evening.

Candidate C - He is a decorated war hero. He's a vegetarian, doesn't smoke, drinks an occasional beer and never cheated on his wife.

Which of these candidates would be your choice? Decide first, then when i remember and enough of you have voted, i'll post the real identities of the candidates
thought politics was banned here.
Anybody that slams down 8 to 10 martinis a day should belong in Beefeaters Hall of Fame
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2019, 08:08:34 AM »

Marquette though.  We existed before Wojo.  We were kings before Coach K coached a minute at Duke.

THAT is the issue.

*stands and applauds* This is the grand slam of all posts right here. This poll is ridiculous...sure if you are at a program like Wofford or something, those records would be fantastic..and no way would you fire that Coach. This is Marquette, the expectations SHOULD be so much higher.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2019, 08:24:46 AM »
what the hell are you trying to prove. either this makes no sense or i am drunk. maybe both
Maybe you are the guy that plows through 8-10 martinis a day.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2019, 08:41:35 AM »
Crash
Are you sure that W against Duke was at Cameron? Hank and the boys upset Duke in Madison for a big, big victory for Hank. I don’t know remember the win at Cameron, but I am an old man and getting forgetful.

Don’t know where you’re getting one of Hank’s team beating Duke in Madison. That would had to have been NCAA’s. Never happened. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2019, 08:44:10 AM »
Don’t know where you’re getting one of Hank’s team beating Duke in Madison. That would had to have been NCAA’s. Never happened.
I assure you it happened, as I was there.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2019, 08:47:24 AM »
I assure you it happened, as I was there.
Yeah, it did.  Feb 10, 1980. I stand corrected. WTH did they agree to play regular season game in Madison and not the Arena?!?

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2019, 09:08:20 AM »
Everyone wanted Mike Deane fired and everyone knew he could coach.  The problem is that he couldn’t recruit. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2019, 09:19:01 AM »
?  He took over an Elite 8 team that was in the national championship game just three years prior.  You're right, I doubt any college basketball fan knew Duke existed when he took over.

Uh.  I did.  Duke was considered a decent program.  A step behind UNC and NC State in the ACC, but definitely a good program.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2019, 09:32:00 AM »
Of course it happened, I was there. Duke wanted a neutral location and Madison was the choice. Far amount of excitement after the win and great time had by all.

Hey Hutch, you sure seemed pretty sure of yourself in your reply. Stick with me, I know my history.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:35:28 AM by Goose »

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2019, 09:41:45 AM »
*stands and applauds* This is the grand slam of all posts right here. This poll is ridiculous...sure if you are at a program like Wofford or something, those records would be fantastic..and no way would you fire that Coach. This is Marquette, the expectations SHOULD be so much higher.

Stand and applaud.....for fake news...the reason we are where we are.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2019, 12:39:46 PM »

I am pretty sure Duke had more all time wins than MU did the day Coach K was hired.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2019, 01:38:29 PM »
You want to change our identity?

That was a long time ago. Embrace it, but Jimmy Carter was President to put it in perspective.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2019, 01:41:00 PM »

You say some stuff too often without facts.  Much like your NIT quips last year.  Duke was a very good program, and very much existed on the map.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2019, 01:48:21 PM »
This thread not only doesn’t  prove anything  but it doesn’t even have a valid point. And you have the nerve to sarcastically call others geniuses? That’s funny.
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2019, 01:50:32 PM »

Denver, your poll is wrong....more on that later.

Guru....And since the program was Duke and they were patient...oh that’s right, it was only Duke....they are like Wofford and should have fired him.  The rest is history because they acted like grown ups.

Denver is wrong, but I understand why.  In 1984 Coach K made it to the round of 32, but because of a bye.  Only 48 teams made it then.  They were the three seed and lost their first game to Washington.  The next year they expanded to 64 teams, Duke again a 3 seed.  Won the first game and lost to an 11 seed in Boston College in the second round.

Duke only won ONE NCAA game in Coach K’s first five years despite twice being a 3 seed.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire