[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 15 top assistants in college basketball  (Read 5268 times)

vogue65

• All American
Re: 15 top assistants in college basketball
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2019, 08:27:20 AM »
You already know the answer. He who wields the laser power point like a Jedi knight gets thr gig and thr cash and the worship.

You can't coach athleticism, you have to recruit it.  And there is not much athleticism in Wisconsin. 
Buzz knew that, everyone knows that, but some people in authority at the university don't.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 10:35:41 AM »
I'm curious why it made you laugh. Because it was a fairly good article? The top-4 on the list are all current head coaches with NCAA berths on their resumes. 4 others (Antigua, Dunlap, Graves, Schroyer) had head coaching jobs since the article was written. Another 4 are either still at the job listed in the article (Robinson, Stephens, Jones) or retired from that job (Blaney).

So 12/15 either became head coaches in short order or stuck with their current jobs. Seems like they did a pretty good job of identifying guys that were either at the top of the assistant game or ready for the next step.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2019, 10:56:54 AM »
“The former NCAA Defensive Player of the Year motivates the Blue Devils to excel on the defensive end and on the glass.“

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2019, 11:43:07 AM »
Not sure K gave Wojo any specific line responsibility as Beilein has with Yaklich. Wojo was more the sidekick or right hand man who had administrative responsibilities.

Sure, Wojo worked with the Duke 4's and 5's. But that doesn't compare with Yaklich's scope of responsibility and span of control.

A color commentator this fall said that U of M had the two finest defensive coordinators in college sports - Don Brown in football and Yaklich in basketball.

Wojo has had his chance. In Year 5 it seemed he had finally turned the corner but the magnitude and completeness of The Collapse gives lie to his ability to run a top program. Factopinion is, he lost that team. And there is no more damning criticism of a leader than that.

FIFY
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2019, 12:19:03 PM »
I'm curious why it made you laugh. Because it was a fairly good article? The top-4 on the list are all current head coaches with NCAA berths on their resumes. 4 others (Antigua, Dunlap, Graves, Schroyer) had head coaching jobs since the article was written. Another 4 are either still at the job listed in the article (Robinson, Stephens, Jones) or retired from that job (Blaney).

So 12/15 either became head coaches in short order or stuck with their current jobs. Seems like they did a pretty good job of identifying guys that were either at the top of the assistant game or ready for the next step.

Because not a single one of them did what so many posters here think we should be or are entitled to be.  I don’t have to name names here, but there are peolple so stuck in 1970’s and believe Al is waiting to come back.  He’s not, and no one on that list comes close. 

That’s why it made me laugh.

Second, who was number 2 on that list?  Our guy, meaning we landed one of the best of the list (if you believe in these lists), and of course people here bitch about the results.  And since some posters here have made it clear all we can get are assistants, we have the #2 guy already....it made me laugh. There is no pleasing some here, especially if they are stuck in another century.

It is why we drive the good coaches here out (plus their own indiscretions), and why we have to constantly take chances on up and comers.  Vicious cycle.  Land a good one, they leave because never good enough.  Land one not up to par, we force them out. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

feedback