[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Refs in NCAA TOURNAMENT ???  (Read 1409 times)

Ardmore Mug

• All American
Refs in NCAA TOURNAMENT ???
« on: March 23, 2019, 07:44:02 PM »
I was wondering, how are the refs picked/assigned in the NCAA Tournament??  I haven't really seen any BE refs so far in the tournament.. Until tonight.... I see Jeffery Anderson and Driscoll doing the NCAA TOurny Big Ten game, (MSU vs Minny) ....  I thought I saw saw 1 the BE ref in another game..  I know I saw like 3 BE refs early in the NIT Tournament....   Just wondering how they're picked and assigned..  Thanks for any input..  8-)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 08:35:40 PM by guzica »

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Refs in NCAA TOURNAMENT ???
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 07:50:48 PM »
I was wondering, how are the refs picked/assigned in the NCAA Tournament??  I haven't really seen any BE refs so far in the tournament.. Until tonight.... I see Jeffery Anderson and Driscoll doing the Big Ten game, (MSU vs Minny) ....  I thought I saw saw 1 the BE ref in another game..  I know I saw like 3 BE refs early in the NIT Tournament....   Just wondering how they're picked and assigned..  Thanks for any input..  8-)
Driscoll has done a first round game as well as Connell.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 07:54:30 PM »
James Breeding is doing the Gonzaga/Baylor game & called a flagrant on Baylor.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 07:57:52 PM »
Beat me by 3 minutes Brew. How in God's green earth are they letting Breeding do a tourney game after the debacle at MSG last week?
GO WARRIORS!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 08:01:00 PM »
Everyone gets a trophy eyn’a?🤷🏼‍♂️
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 08:03:36 PM »
Beat me by 3 minutes Brew. How in God's green earth are they letting Breeding do a tourney game after the debacle at MSG last week?

Crapshoot?

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 08:08:59 PM »
he gave technical for clapping too

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 01:56:20 AM »
One thing my friends and I have noticed the last few years is—at least anecdotally (maybe someone can find stats—the refs aren’t calling much in the tournament.  The first halves have been low-foul.  Few players are fouling out.  Lots of contact is made, but fouls are called late seemingly ONLY if the shot misses (few and-1s).  It seems games are officiated differently than the regular season. 

We think the NCAA has issued memos that games can’t run excessively long.  In particular, given the time constraints with playing two games, clearing an arena, and playing two more games, they would rather games not grind to a halt in round 1.  We’re probably wrong, but who doesn’t love a conspiracy theory. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 07:35:17 AM »
One thing my friends and I have noticed the last few years is—at least anecdotally (maybe someone can find stats—the refs aren’t calling much in the tournament.  The first halves have been low-foul.  Few players are fouling out.  Lots of contact is made, but fouls are called late seemingly ONLY if the shot misses (few and-1s).  It seems games are officiated differently than the regular season. 

We think the NCAA has issued memos that games can’t run excessively long.  In particular, given the time constraints with playing two games, clearing an arena, and playing two more games, they would rather games not grind to a halt in round 1.  We’re probably wrong, but who doesn’t love a conspiracy theory.
FWIW, I thought all season that games were called more tightly in the second half than the first. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 08:33:37 AM »

Who says you are probably wrong, you are probably right?  Believe your eyes, business is business.  You think all this is on the level, ha?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 10:22:49 AM »
The stuff that drives me crazy is that you have 3 guys and when the guy with the ball, especially down under gets bodied and hammered-no call?  That is where the focus of one if not two refs should be-the action.  The other is defense on the guy with the ball-the amount of physicality allowed/ disallowed is so arbitrary depending on who it is and the time of the game.  Too many calls are assumed when the dude goes hard to the hole.

Iwould just like a little consistency, like calling balls and strikes.  If they are going,to,call the low ball all game then play ball
don't...don't don't don't don't