[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Woj Coaching Context  (Read 6516 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: Woj Coaching Context
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 05:45:59 PM »
What's dumb about it?

You said..."predict next year may be his last...he hasn’t shown he knows how to prepare his team for the tourney...".

So you're really saying you hope Wojo recovers from this year and does better next year???
That you’d accuse a fan of hoping for the failure of their team. Silly. I hope Wojo turns out to be the greatest basketball coach in NCAA history and brings multiple titles to MU. Is that a real question?
No Finish Line

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2019, 05:48:54 PM »
Actually, Bruce Weber undermines your point. KSU lost in the first round to a 13 seed and that sucks, but they went to the Elite Eight last year. Wojo has been here 5 years and we haven't done anything in the tourney but get blown out in the first round (if we make it at all). 'Tis the fundamental difference.

Yup. Webber went to the Elite Eight last season, his sixth year at KState. Can you guess how many NCAA Tournament wins he had at KState in his first 5 seasons? 🤭
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2019, 05:49:09 PM »
Rocky
I sure hope no one hopes Wojo fails and gets fired and I do not believe that. Wojo bring successful is the best option out there. I sure he still knocks out of the park, but just hoping that does not mean it will happen. He has every tool possible at his fingertips and it is up to him.
Stating an opinion on what might happen on negative side has no less value than the glass is half full crowd. I find it frustrating that only pro Wojo comments are considered to be truthful on here.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 05:52:07 PM »
Is that a real question?

Actually, I believe a decent number of MU fans don't like Wojo mostly because he came from Duke and think he brings in too many white players.  They don't hope for MU failure, but certainly hope Wojo is gone sooner than later, and losing would accomplish that.

Sorry to peg that on you, it's hard to keep track of why people are being negative

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2019, 05:55:25 PM »
Actually, I believe a decent number of MU fans don't like Wojo mostly because he came from Duke and think he brings in too many white players.  They don't hope for MU failure, but certainly hope Wojo is gone sooner than later, and losing would accomplish that.

Sorry to peg that on you, it's hard to keep track of why people are being negative :)
All good Rocky. Any true Marquette fan that dislikes Wojo for whatever reason would quickly learn to like him if he won big. I have no doubt about that.

Although now that you say it I do seem to remember feeling like some, or one fan rooted against MU because they disliked Buzz. So maybe those peeps do exist?
No Finish Line

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2019, 05:55:38 PM »
Is this a private fight or can anyone join?

Everyone wishes Wojo would be a raging success and Marquette would be hangin banners to infinity.

Unfortunately, the product on the floor after 5 years has been a disappointment (see in re O'Neill Success).

I do not see enough development to warrant the continued Wojo experiment.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2019, 05:55:55 PM »
Rocky
This fan loves he came from Duke, the most successful program over past 25 years. That is a major positive. Recruiting white guys? The three best players, IMO, he has recruited are white guys. Add a couple of very good grad transfers and best guys, aside from Howard, he brought into program. While I would recruit differently, anyone that is against recruiting white guys is a frickin idiot.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2019, 05:56:54 PM »
So maybe those peeps do exist?

All kinds of crazy on the internet!

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2019, 05:57:47 PM »
All kinds of crazy on the internet!
Someone should sell tickets eh?
No Finish Line

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2019, 06:11:15 PM »
On KSU, just to note that they were without their best player.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2019, 06:17:36 PM »
Sad part about that, is that you're predicting it, and probably hoping for it.

I hope he does well, and I think next year MU will put together what fans hoped they could put together this year when they were 23-4.
Yeah. And then they crapped the bed to 24-10.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2019, 08:00:25 PM »
watching bucky go past us while we sit at home and contemplate next year in the tourney year after year is getting really old. 

No worries Mate, they lost 72-54.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2019, 09:09:06 PM »
Some context of where Woj is at in his coaching career:

Here's the list of Power 5 coaches + Big East with at least 60 career coaching wins at their current program (so they have been there through a full four recruiting classes) and zero NCAA tournament wins in their career is this: Tim Miles, Danny Manning, Pat Chambers, Jim Christian, and Wojo.

Of the names above, it's rumored Miles will be fired, and Wake Forest, BC, and Penn State all had to go out of their way to issue statements that their coaches would return next season.

As others have pointed out, really odd misleading sate. But the obvious difference I see between Wojo and all of those listed? Wojo's teams have been trending up. Their teams have been trending down.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2019, 09:47:33 PM »
Here's a stat on Wojo that ISN'T misleading...he is the ONLY coach Besides Mike Deane(and he was fired within 48 hours after failing to do so) that coached at MU at least 5 years with no sweet 16's in those 5 years. He is also the ONLY one of those Coaches without a tournament win within 5 years. Beyond no tournament wins, the two tournament losses under Wojo have been in the top 6 worst margins in MU history.

What F'n more does the admin need to see?? There is NO disputing based on that alone, he is the worst Coach in MU history after 5 years on the job. This guy deserves to keep his job, why??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2019, 09:53:06 PM »
Here's a stat on Wojo that ISN'T misleading...he is the ONLY coach Besides Mike Deane(and he was fired within 48 hours after failing to do so) that coached at MU at least 5 years with no sweet 16's in those 5 years. He is also the ONLY one of those Coaches without a tournament win within 5 years. Beyond no tournament wins, the two tournament losses under Wojo have been in the top 6 worst margins in MU history.

What F'n more does the admin need to see?? There is NO disputing based on that alone, he is the worst Coach in MU history after 5 years on the job. This guy deserves to keep his job, why??

Because they’ve largely improved each year and he has done so without recruiting issues or players who are getting in trouble. Of course they want him to lead MU to the Final Four, but they aren’t going to fire him after this season.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2019, 10:00:31 PM »

When Hank went to the Sweet 16, you only had to win one game to get there.  Pacific, the team we beat, was 14-11, including 11-10 to start their conference tournament (the PCAA) which they won.  Same for Nagle and Hickey. 

As stated with data last week, trending in right direction, program is clean, that's what the admin needs to see and is seeing.  Record attendance this year....people going to games. 

This is not updated yet, but won't change dramatically.  Line says it all (in this case, lower means better).

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 10:02:53 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2019, 10:01:25 PM »

Bob Dukiet?
Rick Majerus?
Eddie Hickey?
Tex Winter?

Did MU history start with KO?

I don't think there's any argument that puts Wojo's tenure below Bob Dukiet, Mike Deane, Rick Majerus, Eddie Hickey, Jack Nagle, or Tex Winter's tenure at Marquette.

We'll see if he passes any of the others
TAMU

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2019, 10:37:11 PM »
I’m not sure how the stat is misleading. It’s pretty straight forward. A lot of coaches with over 4 years experience in power conferences have won an NCAA game. Purposely not including newer coaches would be dumb. You three that said it was misleading are all usually smart posters here too.

Listen, I like Woj. I have his cell # in my phone. He’s a genuinely good guy. From a coaching perspective, he’s got work to do, and quick.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2019, 10:40:59 PM »
Bob Dukiet?
Rick Majerus?
Eddie Hickey?
Tex Winter?

Did MU history start with KO?

I don't think there's any argument that puts Wojo's tenure below Bob Dukiet, Mike Deane, Rick Majerus, Eddie Hickey, Jack Nagle, or Tex Winter's tenure at Marquette.

We'll see if he passes any of the others

Tamu, if you re read what i said, I said of ANY Coach that was at MU at LEAST 5 years. Dukiet was not, Majerus was not, Tex was not, and Eddie Hickey made the tournament twice...although it was much smaller then...but he still made it twice. Even Deane had a tournament win within 5 years.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2019, 10:48:12 PM »
Tamu, if you re read what i said, I said of ANY Coach that was at MU at LEAST 5 years. Dukiet was not, Majerus was not, Tex was not, and Eddie Hickey made the tournament twice...although it was much smaller then...but he still made it twice. Even Deane had a tournament win within 5 years.

Ah I see what, you were saying. I misunderstood you.

Even so, your second paragraph was still ridiculous.
TAMU

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2019, 11:12:48 PM »
Fire Tony Bennett.

Fire me? What the f#ck did I do to this punk Aircraftcarrier?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2019, 11:15:06 PM »
I’m not sure how the stat is misleading. It’s pretty straight forward. A lot of coaches with over 4 years experience in power conferences have won an NCAA game. Purposely not including newer coaches would be dumb. You three that said it was misleading are all usually smart posters here too.

Listen, I like Woj. I have his cell # in my phone. He’s a genuinely good guy. From a coaching perspective, he’s got work to do, and quick.

I just don’t know how much better I’d feel about Wojo or the program had our game against St. John’s last Thursday been an NCAA Tournament play in game like Bobby Hurley’s one nice NCAA Tournament win was.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2019, 01:56:23 AM »

No he doesn't really. I think Wojo bashers ARE OVERREACTING.

Most of the losses were close...they improved vastly defensively and they got the most out of what they had and played hard. Come on now! Until January they led the Big East!

His only issue to me was is guard play over the long haul. Losing Greg hurt and he did not believe in or trust Cain [which was a mistake if you ask me.] and Chartouny gave him nothing and Bailey was not quite ready to play as many minutes he was forced to give him.

It was small minor things that derailed things that was no big deal., They are not going to be worse next year or at all. But it depends. I say next year they can win the Big East.     

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2019, 10:05:00 AM »
Can we all agree he's just an awful game coach.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2019, 10:28:03 AM »
When Hank went to the Sweet 16, you only had to win one game to get there.  Pacific, the team we beat, was 14-11, including 11-10 to start their conference tournament (the PCAA) which they won.  Same for Nagle and Hickey. 

As stated with data last week, trending in right direction, program is clean, that's what the admin needs to see and is seeing.  Record attendance this year....people going to games. 

This is not updated yet, but won't change dramatically.  Line says it all (in this case, lower means better).

Impressed with this Cheeks. BOT will be also. Probably prepared by Wojo's power point guru.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.