[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU tournament losses - when we go out, point differentials have often been big  (Read 1900 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
MU lost big yesterday, no question.  It isn't the first time and it has happened to just about every MU coach that has made the NCAA tournament.  Double digit losses through our history....we've had more wins than losses, and yes some close losses, too.  Yesterday, however, was hardly an outlier.  Yes, I realize not all opponents are the same, but at the same time people rip on losing to South Carolina by 20 without the context they went to the Final Four that year.  Perspective.

Wojo, losses by 20 and 19 points

Buzz, losses by 16 (in a game in which we scored only 39), 10, and 18 points

Crean, losses by 12 and 33 points

Deane, losses by 22 and 10 points

O'Neill, losses by 10 and 12 points

McGuire, losses of 22, 12, 16, 18 points

Hickey, losses of 16 and 29 points

Nagle and Raymonds' losses were all single digits

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MarquetteFan94

• All American
MU lost big yesterday, no question.  It isn't the first time and it has happened to just about every MU coach that has made the NCAA tournament.  Double digit losses through our history....we've had more wins than losses, and yes some close losses, too.  Yesterday, however, was hardly an outlier.  Yes, I realize not all opponents are the same, but at the same time people rip on losing to South Carolina by 20 without the context they went to the Final Four that year.  Perspective.

Wojo, losses by 20 and 19 points

Buzz, losses by 16 (in a game in which we scored only 39), 10, and 18 points

Crean, losses by 12 and 33 points

Deane, losses by 22 and 10 points

O'Neill, losses by 10 and 12 points

McGuire, losses of 22, 12, 16, 18 points

Hickey, losses of 16 and 29 points

Nagle and Raymonds' losses were all single digits

Apples to oranges.

Wojo’s embarrassing losses were both in the first round and he’s never won an NCAA game.

NickelDimer

• All American
If this makes you feel better you’re one hell of a rationalizing voodoo wizard.
No Finish Line

#UnleashSean

• All American
Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't buzz's loses an elite 8 (against a Syracuse team that later would have wins vacated) a sweet 16 against North Carolina and another sweet 16 against a team I cant remember?

Hardly the same.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't buzz's loses an elite 8 (against a Syracuse team that later would have wins vacated) a sweet 16 against North Carolina and another sweet 16 against a team I cant remember?

Hardly the same.

2011 UNC
2012 Florida
2013 Syracuse

The 2013 team is not the Cuse team that was vacated, that was the year prior because of Fab Melo.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Wojo lost to a Final Four team, we will see what Murray State does.

Nothing I said was unfactual.  When we lose, we often lose badly despite the coach.  Some of the teams we lose to go on deep runs, some do not. On that particular day, we have had some stinkers.

I will be cheering for Murray State, a fun team to watch.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
Cheeks

Seriously? You are better than this thread. WTF does that have to do with anything, other being another stat thrown out there?

#UnleashSean

• All American
Wojo lost to a Final Four team, we will see what Murray State does.

Nothing I said was unfactual.  When we lose, we often lose badly despite the coach.  Some of the teams we lose to go on deep runs, some do not. On that particular day, we have had some stinkers.

I will be cheering for Murray State, a fun team to watch.

Was South Carolina a good team? No. Duke had an off game and South Carolina had their best game of their lives. Then the bracket opened up their way. No different then it has in the past with Loyola or Wisconsin or butler or insert number of Cinderella teams that got there because of a wide open bracket.

South Carolina should have lost in the 1st round and the 2nd round.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Yeah, I'm definitely not on the burn it all down bus, but this is not useful information. There is no excuse for the blowout yesterday. Wojo and the players got the pants beat off them by a team they should have beaten. Sucks, but it happens. Put in the file, figure out how to improve from it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NickelDimer

• All American
Yeah, I'm definitely not on the burn it all down bus, but this is not useful information. There is no excuse for the blowout yesterday. Wojo and the players got the pants beat off them by a team they should have beaten. Sucks, but it happens. Put in the file, figure out how to improve from it.
Yeah remember yesterday when you asked who was defending Wojo’s performance? You’ve found your answer.
No Finish Line

feedback