[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Quickly Becoming a Mid-Major  (Read 14660 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Big East Quickly Becoming a Mid-Major
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 08:29:54 PM »
Not to worry, we have the same players coming back and can look forward to more 3 star recruits while Vill, St Johns,X and Gtown have top 10 classes coming in. S. Hall good class too. So, we will win some games next year, get into the tourney and lose early or maybe get lucky and get to the S 16.  SOS

Big East is a major. We are becoming a mid major

Who should Wojo kick off the team so he can recruit 4 and 5 stars for next year?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2019, 08:33:32 PM »
Ya, no...
But when the 2nd best game of the year is Xavier or Creighton instead of Syracuse, Notre Dame, Louisville, Pittsburgh, or Uconn, it leaves a hole in my fanbase. The great thing about the old Big East was there were enough big time schools that it didn't matter if 2 or 3 had a down year.
UConn is trash in the AAC. Pitt's program is lost in the ACC.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Ron Swanson

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2019, 08:33:49 PM »
I posted my concerns on this very same topic a couple weeks ago.  Time will tell whether this is just a down year or a trend.  I fear that because of the lack of national coverage, respect and success by non-Nova schools, more and more recruits will choose to attend ESPN promoted conference schools.  I hope I am wrong, but the conference is definitely trending in the wrong direction.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2019, 08:34:55 PM »
Xavier and Villanova have huge recruiting classes coming in.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2019, 08:36:13 PM »
I posted my concerns on this very same topic a couple weeks ago.  Time will tell whether this is just a down year or a trend.  I fear that because of the lack of national coverage, respect and success by non-Nova schools, more and more recruits will choose to attend ESPN promoted conference schools.  I hope I am wrong, but the conference is definitely trending in the wrong direction.

That’s why UConn fans are thrilled with their new TV deal with ESPN

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2019, 08:36:54 PM »

Big East schools are on national tv every conference game.  Some big recruiting classes coming in.  Not very many departures. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2019, 08:37:34 PM »
That’s why UConn fans are thrilled with their new TV deal with ESPN
No, they were pissed off.
-Bill Walton

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2019, 08:38:34 PM »
No, they were pissed off.

They need to read scoop, then

nyg

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2019, 08:39:23 PM »
False on so many levels

Yeah, I am not even going to verify.  Too many to list, but started and just off top of head, confirmed:

Brunson
Ponds
Govan
Bridges
Henry
Joey
Derrickson
Spellman
Whitehead
Diablo
Too many others, BE doing fine

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2019, 08:41:19 PM »
Let's not forget though that if Nova wasn't around this conference would have been a joke for the last 6 years.

If my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Ron Swanson

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2019, 08:43:52 PM »
Big East schools are on national tv every conference game.  Some big recruiting classes coming in.  Not very many departures.
I understand that Cheeks and I hear you, but FOX is not ESPN.  High School kids, watch Sportscenter and ESPN, not Butler and DePaul on FS2.  I really don't think it is comparable....Hope I am wrong!!!

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2019, 08:49:55 PM »
I understand that Cheeks and I hear you, but FOX is not ESPN.  High School kids, watch Sportscenter and ESPN, not Butler and DePaul on FS2.  I really don't think it is comparable....Hope I am wrong!!!
I'm not sure anyone watches Sportcenter anymore. It's not the 90's. That why ESPN had that major fail in SC6. They can't get it correct, because nobody watches.
-Bill Walton

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2019, 08:52:59 PM »
Everyone knew this year was a rebuild, next year most teams have a lot coming back.

This. 

And a Big East team has won 2 of the last 3.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2019, 08:53:30 PM »

High school kids don't watch TV.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2019, 08:57:26 PM »
Probably forgot how bad the B10 was last year too.

And the Pac 12 last year and this year. And it was just a few years ago the SEC was garbage.

The chicken littles are out in force today.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2019, 08:57:44 PM »
This thread should be locked as enough stupidity has been spewed here.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2019, 08:58:33 PM »
5* freshman Bryan Antoine on Villanova is gonna set the league on fire next year. One and done player likely though.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2019, 08:59:18 PM »
This. 

And a Big East team has won 2 of the last 3.

This is losing its ring to it. National perception is Villanova is the huge fish in the small pond now I fear. Much like Gonzaga in the WCC.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2019, 09:00:09 PM »

Thing is, people don’t watch SportsCenter any more.  Those shows are way down because people can get their sports fix from the internet, apps, etc.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2019, 09:00:18 PM »

How old are you?  Do you need a box of depends?  This thinking was dated 20 years ago. 

Hint, High School kids watch each other on Instagram, ask your grandkids about this new-fangled thing called the internet.

And while you're at it, check out Morant and Howard talking to each other on Instagram, you might learn something.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2019, 09:02:08 PM »
This is losing its ring to it. National perception is Villanova is the huge fish in the small pond now I fear. Much like Gonzaga in the WCC.

Yeah I don't think so.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2019, 09:03:01 PM »
For some reason I have a taste for a beef n cheddar.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2019, 09:04:29 PM »
Thing is, people don’t watch SportsCenter any more.  Those shows are way down because people can get their sports fix from the internet, apps, etc.

ESPN only exists for old people.  No one under 25 even has cable, let alone watches ESPN.

It is more important for your coach to have a social media presence than getting praise on ESPN.

Ron Swanson

• Walk-On
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2019, 09:05:27 PM »
How old are you?  Do you need a box of depends?  This thinking was dated 20 years ago. 

Hint, High School kids watch each other on Instagram, ask your grandkids about this new-fangled thing called the internet.

And while you're at it, check out Morant and Howard talking to each other on Instagram, you might learn something.
You're class act

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2019, 09:07:31 PM »
You're class act

Do you have any idea how stupid and out of touch you sound by saying this about ESPN?  It is a comment about what a fossil you are.

Delete your account and start over, you have been permanently damaged.

feedback