'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Quickly Becoming a Mid-Major  (Read 14099 times)

ryegge

• Walk-On
Big East Quickly Becoming a Mid-Major
« on: March 21, 2019, 08:07:48 PM »
A lot of you guys are good with looking up stats. I am wondering- after Villanova won National Championship last year, is the Big East getting the Four and Five Star players in great numbers than the so called Mid-Major conferences?
I mean if someone has the numbers for the last two years and the coming year, is the Big East still contending for these players against the ACC, SEC, Big Ten?

Johnny B

• All American
Re: Big East Quickly Becoming a Mid-Major
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 08:09:03 PM »
Sometimes

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 08:11:44 PM »
A lot of you guys are good with looking up stats. I am wondering- after Villanova won National Championship last year, is the Big East getting the Four and Five Star players in great numbers than the so called Mid-Major conferences?
I mean if someone has the numbers for the last two years and the coming year, is the Big East still contending for these players against the ACC, SEC, Big Ten?

The Big East hasn’t gotten a four or five star since 2013
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 08:12:14 PM »
From an eye test? It's what I feared a ten team jesuit conference would come to. Nova and Marquette ROFLstomping the rest, with one coming out of the ashes for a 6/7 seed occasionally.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 08:13:45 PM »

Everyone knew this year was a rebuild, next year most teams have a lot coming back.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 08:14:15 PM »
From an eye test? It's what I feared a ten team jesuit conference would come to. Nova and Marquette ROFLstomping the rest, with one coming out of the ashes for a 6/7 seed occasionally.

I wanted to join the A-10

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 08:14:42 PM »
Yes. The conference that got 2 #1 seeds last season and won 2 out of the last 3 national championships is becoming a mid major.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 08:16:33 PM »
Yes. The conference that got 2 #1 seeds last season and won 2 out of the last 3 national championships is becoming a mid major.

How quickly they forget.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 08:18:47 PM »

How quickly they forget.
Probably forgot how bad the B10 was last year too.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 08:19:21 PM »

Nova*
 Xavier had some hangon, but they are going down fast. Marquette has at least caught up to what they were supposed to be when the new big east started.

Let's not forget though that if Nova wasn't around this conference would have been a joke for the last 6 years.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 08:20:10 PM »

Quinerly from Nova was five star and I believe Nova has two coming in next year.  So just not true.

Henry was a five star.  Markus would have been, maybe Joey if they stayed for senior years. There are others, have to research abit. 

Norm

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 08:21:02 PM »

+1,000

One down year and people are over-reacting. Most teams will be better next season.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 08:22:09 PM »
Nova*
 Xavier had some hangon, but they are going down fast. Marquette has at least caught up to what they were supposed to be when the new big east started.

Let's not forget though that if Nova wasn't around this conference would have been a joke for the last 6 years.

That’s why we needed to join the A-10

ryegge

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 08:22:27 PM »

That’s why I asked the question, the BE was so good before this year, so I simply asked, has the recruiting fallen off previous levels. Or was it just a rebuilding year? Guess we shall see next year.

Hopefully Villanova holds on and Seton Hall plays well later.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 08:22:39 PM »
I can see why some of the nba talent players that need more than a year to develop would choose a mid major to play in.  Beat up the in conference foes and be the story come tourney time.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 08:24:30 PM »

False on so many levels
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 08:25:32 PM »
That’s why we needed to join the A-10

Ya, no...
But when the 2nd best game of the year is Xavier or Creighton instead of Syracuse, Notre Dame, Louisville, Pittsburgh, or Uconn, it leaves a hole in my fanbase. The great thing about the old Big East was there were enough big time schools that it didn't matter if 2 or 3 had a down year.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 08:27:02 PM »
Join the big 12 eh

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 08:27:08 PM »
Ya, no...
But when the 2nd best game of the year is Xavier or Creighton instead of Syracuse, Notre Dame, Louisville, Pittsburgh, or Uconn, it leaves a hole in my fanbase. The great thing about the old Big East was there were enough big time schools that it didn't matter if 2 or 3 had a down year.

Then we need to join the ACC

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2019, 08:27:22 PM »
False on so many levels

I didn’t teal

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2019, 08:28:06 PM »
Then we need to join the ACC

That would have been great, but it either wasn't offered or MU said no. I hope it was #1.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 08:28:31 PM »
Beat up the other major conferences in non-conference portion of the season and we will get more bids.
A benefit large team conferences have is they possess some major bottom dwellers.  Other teams get to beat up on the bottom dwellers and boost their record in conference play.  Then take a weak out of conference schedule with a lot of cupcakes and they have a decent record.   A small conference where there is a lot of parity doesn't have that luxury.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 08:28:40 PM »
Not to worry, we have the same players coming back and can look forward to more 3 star recruits while Vill, St Johns,X and Gtown have top 10 classes coming in. S. Hall good class too. So, we will win some games next year, get into the tourney and lose early or maybe get lucky and get to the S 16.  SOS

Big East is a major. We are becoming a mid major

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 08:29:11 PM »
Lol
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ryegge

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2019, 08:29:51 PM »
That would have been great, but it either wasn't offered or MU said no. I hope it was #1.

No Football!!
That is why the ‘new’ BE was created out of non-football schools.

feedback