[Today at 06:19:23 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I’ll Eat Crow  (Read 7165 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: I’ll Eat Crow
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 10:46:26 PM »
Best player MU has faced this year.

Unless one played Duke this year, Morant is the best player anyone faced.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2019, 10:55:13 PM »
Is this sarcasm? Anyways I'm not demanding excellence. I wasnt even mad they lost. I haven't gotten this upset over a game in years. It was just how they lost. How helpless and lost these final stretch of games went. Just utter collapse. I made some knee jerk posts but I'm good now. My bad
No sarcasm intended . I like that you want excellence.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2019, 11:01:35 PM »
Theres a ton of unwarranted hype on Elliot being our savior PG. He showed 0% towards being a capable pg last year. Theres a lot of "hope" his hand is what brought him down, but thats what it is, hope.

Greg makes winning plays.  He’s not a savior though.  At least two games last year he made winning plays at the end of games that won games.  Some Illinois directional school being one last year by taking a charge. I remember well because it was in Maui after the invitational and we were still there while the team was back In Milwaukee. 

Greg has s going to add a lot because he is a winner and exponentially more athletic than anyone on our current roster.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2019, 11:13:21 PM »
This is not a Greg Elliot issue.  Yes, we could have used him this year.  But he is not A point guard.   We have McEwen here, but we are slow on defense, non athletic.  So a player not two will not fix this.  But we need everyone to get better.  Not an easy task.  We Nd everyone to getbtougher.  Not easy.   

But the team plays with passion, and they don’t quit.  Very valuable assets.   abo easy solution to the issues we have.   Maybe next year.   

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2019, 11:32:09 PM »
Where is arrogant tower with the match ups or crap shoot excuse? Just cant wait to here this garbage.

You mean Chico - he's been all over the board with the match up/crapshoot excuses.

You don't get dominated like we did today because of match ups or luck. We got beat by a much better team with a much better game plan today. Period.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2019, 11:38:35 PM »
You mean Chico - he's been all over the board with the match up/crapshoot excuses.

You don't get dominated like we did today because of match ups or luck. We got beat by a much better team with a much better game plan today. Period.

I agree that matchups and luck alone don't led to the kind of beatdown we saw today.

Despite the outcome, I still think we are the better team by a significant margin. I think we witnessed Murray State playing damn near close to their ceiling and we were pretty close to our floor. There are few matchups where that can happen and the team playing near their floor doesn't get blown out. Playing at our worst in the biggest game of the season? That's a big red flag for the coach.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2019, 11:47:35 PM »

No doubt brotha

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2019, 12:09:59 AM »
I agree that matchups and luck alone don't led to the kind of beatdown we saw today.

Despite the outcome, I still think we are the better team by a significant margin. I think we witnessed Murray State playing damn near close to their ceiling and we were pretty close to our floor. There are few matchups where that can happen and the team playing near their floor doesn't get blown out. Playing at our worst in the biggest game of the season? That's a big red flag for the coach.

Late February and March are where the rubber meets the road. We didn't even need to finish strong to have a season with notable accomplishments. All we had to do was avoid a total, unadulterated collapse. Sadly, we couldn't. Were we better than Murray State? In November, December, January and part of February, sure. In the last month, week or today? No way. They would beat us tomorrow, Saturday, Sunday and every day next week. We were the worst team in the Big East over the last month and certainly one of, if not the, worst power 6 conference teams in the country. We're not the team we were in January and early February. That newspaper is a month old. The more recent ones tell an entirely different story. Over the last 20% of the season (by far the most important part) we were a bad team.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 12:11:44 AM by Lennys Tap »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2019, 12:12:47 AM »

Yes. The coach is under the microscope now.  One more year to judge.   Playing Markus at the point next year will be an indictment on his coaching.  Better results next year and the 2020 class will be huge indicators of the direction of our program.  This time next year we will all know. 

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2019, 12:23:25 AM »
Late February and March are where the rubber meets the road. We didn't even need to finish strong to have a season with notable accomplishments. All we had to do was avoid a total, unadulterated collapse. Sadly, we couldn't. Were we better than Murray State? In November, December, January and part of February, sure. In the last month, week or today? No way. They would beat us tomorrow, Saturday, Sunday and every day next week. We were the worst team in the Big East over the last month and certainly one of, if not the, worst power 6 conference team in the country. We're not the team we were in January and early February. That newspaper is a month old. The more recent ones tell an entirely different story. Over the last 20% of the season (by far the most important part) we were a bad team.

But, it's a bad matchup. Oh, it's the refs. Hey, that was a tough break.

The truth is this team played poor ass basketball over the last month. Issues everywhere. Poor defense, problems on the glass, turnovers, way too many fouls, lack of ball movement, inability to grab 50-50 balls, etc. What happened today sadly wasn't surprising. It was the culmination of what we have seen the past few weeks.

But, just keep kicking that can down the road though. Next year, just wait until next year.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2019, 12:32:26 AM »
Short twelve months. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2019, 01:06:27 AM »
But, it's a bad matchup. Oh, it's the refs. Hey, that was a tough break.

The truth is this team played poor ass basketball over the last month. Issues everywhere. Poor defense, problems on the glass, turnovers, way too many fouls, lack of ball movement, inability to grab 50-50 balls, etc. What happened today sadly wasn't surprising. It was the culmination of what we have seen the past few weeks.

But, just keep kicking that can down the road though. Next year, just wait until next year.

Which assistant coach do you and Lenny want to hire?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2019, 01:11:49 AM »
Which assistant coach do you and Lenny want to hire?

Snark when you can't address the facts.

Here's another one. I've never said Wojo should be fired. More fake news from "Cheeks".

1SE

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2019, 02:49:44 AM »
Late February and March are where the rubber meets the road. We didn't even need to finish strong to have a season with notable accomplishments. All we had to do was avoid a total, unadulterated collapse. Sadly, we couldn't. Were we better than Murray State? In November, December, January and part of February, sure. In the last month, week or today? No way. They would beat us tomorrow, Saturday, Sunday and every day next week. We were the worst team in the Big East over the last month and certainly one of, if not the, worst power 6 conference teams in the country. We're not the team we were in January and early February. That newspaper is a month old. The more recent ones tell an entirely different story. Over the last 20% of the season (by far the most important part) we were a bad team.

Yes. All tower and others pointing to the "body of work" avoids this. Once we got to 22-4, getting top 2 BE and a 5 seed in the tourney (with no NCAA win) was no longer meeting expectations.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 03:55:32 AM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2019, 07:26:00 AM »
Yes. All tower and others pointing to the "body of work" avoids this. Once we got to 22-4, getting top 2 BE and a 5 seed in the tourney (with no NCAA win) was no longer meeting expectations.

No.  You don't get to change expectations mid season. The collapse kept Wojo from exceeding expectations but not from being them. That's like a professor changing the rubric for grading a test 4/5ths through taking the test
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2019, 07:35:33 AM »
I have said all year, Wojo exceeded my expectations this season. I thought the talent assembled was a bubble team, not a five seed. Even factoring a bad BE and overall down season nationally, I would have bet money they had no chance for five seed.

Do want to add, unlike many believers, I am not anxiously awaiting next year because the great pool of talent. In addition, not counting on that “really big” 2020 recruiting class. The 2020 Buzz really confused me. What has Wojo done to believe he is going to have that dream recruiting season? For all the Wojo love, that one still blows my mind.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2019, 02:07:22 PM »
Where am I unbalanced? Honestly I am over the game. Saying keep wojo one more year unless there is significant improvement. Are people crazy for getting pissed about this game. You're crazy if you dont throw some shade at this team rn

I don't know, I think most fans aren't so imbalanced that they're "embarrassed" or angry about a college team losing a basketball game. But there certainly are plenty of immature and entitled fans on this site.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2019, 04:36:28 PM »
I don't know, I think most fans aren't so imbalanced that they're "embarrassed" or angry about a college team losing a basketball game. But there certainly are plenty of immature and entitled fans on this site.
I was frustrated/angry for like an hour. Vast majority of.us were so not sure what you're on about

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2019, 06:12:08 PM »
In my last post here before the Murray State game, I compared taking on the Racers to the most recent matchup against St. John's -- where we beat a long, athletic, talented team on their home court by 30+.

Obviously not a good comparison. I didn't think a win was guaranteed for MU; anybody who's watched them at the end of the season had to have doubts. And anything can happen in the NCAA tournament. But I did predict a comfortable win (6-7 points I think). And I didn't even consider the possibility we'd be run out of the gym.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2019, 07:11:39 PM »
No.  You don't get to change expectations mid season. The collapse kept Wojo from exceeding expectations but not from being them. That's like a professor changing the rubric for grading a test 4/5ths through taking the test

I disagree. Say your favorite baseball team's wins over/under was 81 and they were 79-60 with a 7 game division lead on Labor Day. Then they lose 19 of their final 22 and finish 82-80 and go home for October. For you, they exceeded expectations. Hooray, let's celebrate!  For me, they were a failure.

Autoengineer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2019, 07:25:50 PM »
I'm waiting to pass final judgment on the season until I see how good Murray State really is.   If they go to the final 4 or beyond, will that change anyone's opinion?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2019, 07:35:56 PM »
I'm waiting to pass final judgment on the season until I see how good Murray State really is.   If they go to the final 4 or beyond, will that change anyone's opinion?

If they manhandle the rest of the field the way they did us - yes, it will change my opinion.

CleanishProgram

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2019, 07:42:33 PM »

Yes, it would.
But it won’t happen. Theyre going to get crushed in their next game.