[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Where’s (was) Sacar? redux  (Read 2742 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Where’s (was) Sacar? redux
« on: March 22, 2019, 08:47:24 AM »
This has been lost in all the discussion, but to me this was as critical to yesterday’s abomination as anything; what in the holy hell was up with Sacar yesterday? His shot was way off from the jump. He was timid and struggled with things as basic as cleanly catching passes. One thing about our offense down the stretch that became obvious was when Sacar was on we were really tough to stop. His total disappearance yesterday was as shocking to me as the final score.
No Finish Line

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Where’s (was) Sacar? redux
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 08:52:18 AM »
This has been lost in all the discussion, but to me this was as critical to yesterday’s abomination as anything; what in the holy hell was up with Sacar yesterday? His shot was way off from the jump. He was timid and struggled with things as basic as cleanly catching passes. One thing about our offense down the stretch that became obvious was when Sacar was on we were really tough to stop. His total disappearance yesterday was as shocking to me as the final score.

Sacar has always lacked consistancy.  Some on the board have also called him agreat defender, which he is not.  Hes just the best defender in a group of poor ones.  Brendan bailey is the best defender on the team and did a really nice job on JA.  Unfortunately brendan is not yet good at anything else, including shot selection.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 08:55:25 AM »
Yes huge disappointment yesterday  0 points from two starters John and Anim

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 08:56:44 AM »
Sacar is a great defender despite what MSK said, but he was AWOL yesterday. BB did a much better job. Personally, did not like the defensive game plan. We didn't play hard double teams like that all season, now was not the time to break it out. Wish they would have given Sacar and BB a chance to defend him one on one.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 08:58:19 AM »
Sacar tried, but just didn't happen.  After Morant twisted him around, Bailey got the minutes.  Bailey played him after that and when Joey fouled out, Sacar came back in  Sacar played 25 minutes, Bailey 29. 

I hope next year he comes off the bench, with McEwen playing the PG. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 10:21:00 AM »
Sacar tried, but just didn't happen.  After Morant twisted him around, Bailey got the minutes.  Bailey played him after that and when Joey fouled out, Sacar came back in  Sacar played 25 minutes, Bailey 29. 

I hope next year he comes off the bench, with McEwen playing the PG. 

I'd rather see Joey off the bench.  Sam and Joey are essentially the same player so having Sacar out there as a wing makes sense to me.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 11:09:43 AM »
Through the final 7 games of the season, our team became increasingly one-dimensional on offense -- and more inconsistent on defense.

At Villanova, Markus scored 25 points on 49% usage (per KenPom). But his offensive rating, due in part to 7 turnovers. Sam was our only other double-figure scorer. MU set a season low by scoring just 61 points (the previous low had been 68 against Kansas).

Similar story at home against Creighton. Markus scored 33 points on 43% usage in 39 minutes. But 6 turnovers limited his offensive rating to 106. Nobody else scored in double figures, and the team set a new season low with just 60 points.

At Seton Hall, Markus bombed out almost completely. He scored 6 points on 2-11 shooting. Only Sam Hauser scored in double figures with 25 points. Marquette turns in its third-lowest scoring output of the season with 64 points.

On senior day against Georgetown, the offense finally showed signs of life. But Markus struggled again, shooting 8-25 on 45% usage with an offensive rating of 95. The team found a new way to lose, giving up 86 points (third-highest total of the season).

Against St. John's in the Big East tournament, all seemed right again as MU kicked Shamorie Ponds and company all over the court. But the very next game, the defense proved unable to stop anyone -- giving up 81 points (then the fourth-highest total of the season).

And the wheels fell off on both ends of the court against Murray State. Markus shot 9-27 on his way to a 97 offensive rating. Sam was the only other scorer in double figures. MU scored just 64 points (tied for second-lowest of the season) -- and gave up 83 (a new fourth-highest total).

To sum up: in those 7 games, MU posted its 4 worst offensive performances of the season and 3 of its 5 worst defensive performances. It wasn't just Sacar. The whole team was struggling mightily.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

monkeyman34

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 11:24:24 AM »
Through the final 7 games of the season, our team became increasingly one-dimensional on offense -- and more inconsistent on defense.

To sum up: in those 7 games, MU posted its 4 worst offensive performances of the season and 3 of its 5 worst defensive performances. It wasn't just Sacar. The whole team was struggling mightily.

I think the main take away from your post is that in these games, Markus became a ball hog and it crippled the team.  The ball needs to move and other guys need to get involved. I think when guys go multiple possessions without touching the ball, they get taken out of the flow of the game both offensively and defensively.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 11:36:41 AM »
TAMU

Sacar is a great defender? Is that comparison to his teammates or on national scale?

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 11:41:35 AM »
I think Markus was a "ball hog"" by default. Our so-called motion offense is stagnant. Markus can step back, or get free for a drive. He doesn't have the capability of Ja that we saw yesterday to get it to guys in position down deep or to kick it out to an open 3-shooter. Plus, his handle is not the greatest. I think playing off the ball will help him. And, we'll see what a "true point" can do vis a vis "making teammates better" (which presumably means getting them open shots).

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 11:45:47 AM »
I think Markus was a "ball hog"" by default. Our so-called motion offense is stagnant. Markus can step back, or get free for a drive. He doesn't have the capability of Ja that we saw yesterday to get it to guys in position down deep or to kick it out to an open 3-shooter. Plus, his handle is not the greatest. I think playing off the ball will help him. And, we'll see what a "true point" can do vis a vis "making teammates better" (which presumably means getting them open shots).
I think there’s shared responsibility for our lack of movement. On one hand guys have to move to get open so Markus can find them. But on the other, arguably bigger hand guys have to trust that if they work to get open their PG will find them. Watching Markus you have to wonder whether his teammates believe that about him.
No Finish Line

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 04:25:18 PM »
Sacar is a great defender despite what MSK said, but he was AWOL yesterday. BB did a much better job. Personally, did not like the defensive game plan. We didn't play hard double teams like that all season, now was not the time to break it out. Wish they would have given Sacar and BB a chance to defend

him one on one.

Not a great defender.    At all

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 04:48:27 PM »
TAMU

Sacar is a great defender? Is that comparison to his teammates or on national scale?

I don't have access to the numbers so I don't want to speak for TAMU, but through 25 games or so I know Sacar graded out as "Excellent" on a national scale. Not sure if that rating dwindled as the team lost 6 of 7 to end the year.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 05:05:05 PM »
Eagle
Why do you guys always quote computer stats. In your opinion, how did he defend top players? I saw some good players play quite well against us.
For the record, I think he is a nice defender, but far from great. Howard is a great scorer, Sacar is a nice defender.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 05:16:00 PM »
Eagle
Why do you guys always quote computer stats. In your opinion, how did he defend top players? I saw some good players play quite well against us.
For the record, I think he is a nice defender, but far from great. Howard is a great scorer, Sacar is a nice defender.

Because it measures how a player did against ALL the players he guarded. Not just the top players. If I had a database that could compare how he did vs. Ponds, Powell, Ja, etc. vs. how others did then I'd use that. I simply don't have that information.

My eye test agrees with you.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 05:19:35 PM »
Eagle
I was not trying to bust your chops, but I think the computer stats are somewhat misleading. In baseball I definitely get it, based off the pure number of games, at bats or fielding chances. In college ball the sample size is not big enough for me. In college ball a stiff can get hot or a stud can stink it up fro time to time.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 06:59:57 PM »
Love Sacar.

But he disappeared a few weeks ago.  After that awesome stretch in BE play, his downfall has definitely correlated with the teams late season slide.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

feedback