[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Upward trajectory of MU/wojo  (Read 8877 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Upward trajectory of MU/wojo
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2019, 07:15:08 AM »
Couldn't disagree more. He has shown literally nothing over the 5 years he has been here. Regular season means absolutely nothing after the colossal collapse.  It was not even a game tonight they were simply run out of the freaking building. Embarrassing for the program to be honest.
It is embarrassing. There are lots of people laughing about that blowout.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2019, 07:19:32 AM »
So, in a situation where MU wins 25+ games next season, takes the big east conference regular season title outright, makes it to BET championship (and loses) and gets a 3 seed, but loses in the NCAAs... You'd fire him?

I wouldn't.
Lots of wishful dreaming here
Wash  rinse, tepeat.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2019, 07:21:41 AM »
It’s an interesting question. That would undoubtedly be a successful regular season by any measure.

However, the games that really matter are the ones in the NCAA tournament and they need to start winning them. Otherwise, what’s the point?

Regular season conference championships are fun and all, but do you even remember who won the big east last year?
I would if we had won it, and that's all that matters.  (BTW, X reg season, Nova tournament)
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

connie

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2019, 07:23:29 AM »

In classical Rome or medieval Japan a disgraced leader would fall on his sword after such an abysmal performance. 
Wow.  I'm down on Wojo, but am not going to call for ritualized suicide.  I'm out.  Have a summer people.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2019, 07:26:14 AM »
If he can’t win in the tourney with next year’s team he doesn’t have much hope as a coach
Which tourney? 

This game to me perfectly illustrated why MU will not win anything of significance with Markus as our point guard. Morant is obviously very skilled individually, but he also made his teammates better. Markus does not. He doesn’t do anything but constantly try to score himself. The only time he stops dribbling or passes the ball is when the defense makes him. I know he averaged 4 assists per game. But the team doesn’t really function as a team like MSU did and it’s not even really close. Their offense was a clinic compared to ours.

I don’t expect us to be much (if any) better next year since Markus is still going to be playing 30+ a game and have the ball in his hands mos of that time.

Pops Sims

• Walk-On
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2019, 08:57:38 AM »
I believe a lot of our problems under wojo would be lessened if we had more "athletes" on the roster. I think wojo realized this after a season or 2 and so went and got Ike, Cain, Elliott. Now going after more of that mold. (Versus Hausers, Henry, etc).

With regards to this season (and the brutal finish over the last month+), I think fatigue, injuries and a short bench/capable depth proved fatal.

I can't explain how Wisconsin is successful without the athletes.

If wojo can rollover success from this season, into another successful 19-20 campaign and sell that to the potential (highly talented) 2020 recruits, I think we'll have a snowball effect with regards to roster talent in the long run. That's what I'm hoping for in the least.

If wojo also happens to significantly improve as a coach as well, then that's the best case scenario. Because I think you can have sustainable success with an average coach with top 75/100 talent. And you can have outstanding and sustainable success with a good/great coach + top 75/100 talent.

UW is successful because they consistently "coach up" their roster. MSU has 4-5 star talent but Izzo and hi staff must "coach up" their roster as well. If you don't get 4 and 5 star talent successfully, you better have a staff who can coach. Pretty simple.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2019, 09:29:50 AM »
I believe a lot of our problems under wojo would be lessened if we had more "athletes" on the roster. I think wojo realized this after a season or 2 and so went and got Ike, Cain, Elliott. Now going after more of that mold. (Versus Hausers, Henry, etc).

With regards to this season (and the brutal finish over the last month+), I think fatigue, injuries and a short bench/capable depth proved fatal.

I can't explain how Wisconsin is successful without the athletes.

If wojo can rollover success from this season, into another successful 19-20 campaign and sell that to the potential (highly talented) 2020 recruits, I think we'll have a snowball effect with regards to roster talent in the long run. That's what I'm hoping for in the least.

If wojo also happens to significantly improve as a coach as well, then that's the best case scenario. Because I think you can have sustainable success with an average coach with top 75/100 talent. And you can have outstanding and sustainable success with a good/great coach + top 75/100 talent.

The most sensible thing said over the last 24 hours.  Agreed completely.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2019, 12:24:52 PM »
Wow.  I'm down on Wojo, but am not going to call for ritualized suicide.  I'm out.  Have a summer people.

Nobody is calling for ritualized suicide.

It's about accountability and responsibility. College coaches don't commit seppuku. They get fired.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2019, 12:27:48 PM »
It's about accountability and responsibility. College coaches don't commit seppuku. They get fired.

I've asked elsewhere but I'll ask again. Who was the last coach to get fired after earning a 5 seed without their being an off the court issue?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

curbina

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2019, 12:52:26 PM »
Big fan of our program. I love this roster. I'm very pleased with the trajectory of MU basketball. Looking forward to continued success. Here's hoping the administration will give wojo an extension this off-season to lock down the 2020 class where we appear to be in great position with top talent.

Is MU basketball trajectory upward or downward sloping? Please plot the win/loss data and let the board know what you think.
“You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”
- Winston S. Churchill

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2019, 01:08:52 PM »
I'm as pissed as everyone about the epic collapse, but as Jesmu84 points out, the trajectory is positive.  Did anyone ever think we would be ranked in the Top 10 at all this year?  I mean come on that's something!  Granted it's rendered meaningless after what happened yesterday and clearly they were overrated but that they achieved it at all is not insignificant.  While expectations were definitely high at the start of the season, I don't recall anyone on here claiming we were anything close to a top 10 team.  I also think Greg's absence this year probably had a greater impact than we'd all like to admit.  That kid is a baller!  Without him we have no transition game whatsoever and his speed and athleticism certainly would have come in handy down the stretch.  Not saying we'd have been undefeated but 2-2 or even 1-3 is better than 0-4.  Given Greg's absence and lack of a true PG, I think this team performed about as well as reasonably expected under the circumstances.  If the record were the same but the losses spread out more, the vitriol routinely expressed here would be more measured.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 01:12:04 PM by Disco Hippie »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2019, 01:18:09 PM »
I've asked elsewhere but I'll ask again. Who was the last coach to get fired after earning a 5 seed without their being an off the court issue?

JTIII?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2019, 01:30:32 PM »

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2019, 02:49:49 PM »

Spot on TAMU.  I'm not a big poster, but love to keep up with this site.  I really appreciate the insight from most of you, especially if you are close to the program.  Helps for those of us out of reach.

I remember how everyone was disappointed with Al in '77 after the 6 losses (Michigan was the 7th on the day Al got the bid), and I really don't think hindsight proves they were right (gentle sarcasm).  Yes, we're all disappointed with losing in the opening round this year.  I wish we were a little healthier (I think Markus is worse off than indicated), and deeper (Greg out was painful for the guard position).  We really had no point all season.  We exhausted our guards.  We had to use a forward at the point in one game.  Kudos to Markus for trying, but he's a shooter, and also human (really … I heard that somewhere).

We return next year with all five starters, plus Greg and Kobe (unproven, but looks to be a significant improvement).  It should give a lot more options to Wojo, and a lot more energy at the end of the year.  I don't think Markus is going to the NBA this year.  Also, there is one new guy coming in, and a potential in Ike (he's looking pretty healthy to me).  I'm not on the inside, and I'm by no means an expert.  I do know leadership.  I've worked with the best.  I think Wojo has what it takes to be long term.  That said, if not, he won't be easy to replace.  I don't see a lot of hot prospects out there.  No next coming of Coach K or Wooden banging on our door.  Guess what?  There won't be.  It takes years to become one of those guys.  Jay Wright's best success has been in the last 5 years.  If I was an expert, I'd be coaching Duke, but the reality is we need to run with Wojo for a while.  My gut says he's good.

For those that laugh at us for losing to Murray State, the reality is they were way under seeded.  That was one of the best guards I've seen at the college level in a long time (Doc Rivers?). He was a deadly passer that can drive and shoot.  Who has someone who can lock him down?  I don't hold this against anyone at Marquette.  The teasing started right away in my case (starting to hate my Nova friends), and in each case, I praised Murray State.  They were a good team.  They had an incredible superstar that made them work as a team. 

I loved watching our team make a run, and am a proud fan.  They'll make a run at the Big East title next year for certain, and the competition will only be tougher.  As I mentioned earlier, I think they'll have enough to get there.

See you guys on the flip side.  Stay civil.  We all love the place, so keep it classy!