2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 15, 2024, 10:20:46 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

[Paint Touches] Shaka reaffirms MU commitment by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 15, 2024, 07:07:35 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: FiveThirtyEight Sports Analytics  (Read 2957 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
FiveThirtyEight Sports Analytics
« on: March 20, 2019, 11:31:44 PM »
They think Buzzard has a great shot to Sweet 16 with easy draw and 25% chance to beat Duke.

For us....ugh.  Here it is

Don’t bet on: No. 5 Marquette. Teams seeded fifth aren’t usually good bets to make it past the Sweet 16 anyway, but Marquette might be an especially bad pick. According to the FiveThirtyEight power ratings, the Golden Eagles are by far the worst No. 5 seed in the field, and a first-round date with breakout mid-major superstar Ja Morant didn’t do them any favors. Marquette has some star power of its own in junior guard Markus Howard, who ranks sixth in the nation with an average of 25 points per game, but this team lost five of its last six games and has a tough tournament road ahead of it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
Re: FiveThirtyEight Sports Analytics
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 11:49:40 PM »
We get it cheeks. You think we’re losing this one.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 11:51:09 PM »
They think Buzzard has a great shot to Sweet 16 with easy draw and 25% chance to beat Duke.

For us....ugh.  Here it is

Don’t bet on: No. 5 Marquette. Teams seeded fifth aren’t usually good bets to make it past the Sweet 16 anyway, but Marquette might be an especially bad pick. According to the FiveThirtyEight power ratings, the Golden Eagles are by far the worst No. 5 seed in the field, and a first-round date with breakout mid-major superstar Ja Morant didn’t do them any favors. Marquette has some star power of its own in junior guard Markus Howard, who ranks sixth in the nation with an average of 25 points per game, but this team lost five of its last six games and has a tough tournament road ahead of it.

In line with Pomeroy's analytics. He (Ken Pom) thinks V Tech should be a 3 seed and MU should be a 7.

Good news is Murray St is rated #51.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 12:02:21 AM by Lennys Tap »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 11:57:59 PM »
We get it cheeks. You think we’re losing this one.

Going to be tough game, but I think we squeak it out.  I posted a bunch of guys that pick us to win earlier today, problem is most of the talking heads and internet b-ball sites have not.  Jay is something else.  Sacar sounds like he wants the task, he will have his full.... the kid is something else.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 12:01:12 AM »

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:05:15 AM by mu_hilltopper »

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 12:23:42 AM »

lol
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:04:51 AM by mu_hilltopper »

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 07:42:03 AM »
Seriously do members of this board and the national pundits believe we are taking on the Golden State Warriors? Listen I understand that this Ja Morant is a top 5 pick based on projections. Does that mean his game is going to translate to the NBA? Could Murray State beat Marquette? Absoutely. But I would not bet a cent of my money on them. 

I am so tired of hearing that Marquette has lost 5 of the last 6 but did anyone outside MU actually understand how they lost those games. Nova was supposed to be a loss. 2/3 we blew leads late. The last game of the regular season the team shot out of thier minds. And then in the BET we got screwed but the refs. Had we beaten SH theres no doubt in my mind we would have been Big East Tournament Champs. I think everyone would be singing a different tone if it were Murray State vs BET Champs.  Besides I believe this team is going to be playing with fire because of how that SH game ended.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 08:36:35 AM »

You use this to bash fivethirtyeight, but they gave Trump a 28% chance, while every other model had him at like 5%.

So they know their stuff.

On this one, they're right.  I like us to beat Murray State, but it isn't a given.  I think we would struggle with Florida State due to their length, so I'll be cheering for Vermont.  FSU is also probably the best 4 seed.  I have a hard time seeing us getting past Gonzaga, they just have too much offense and we don't play the slow-em-down style that St. Mary's used to beat them. 

The models rightfully don't think we're likely to go deep in this one.  Neither do I.  But I'll be cheering my ass off and hoping for several big Ws and a trip to Minneapolis.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 08:43:09 AM »
I agree. We win this game. Got that shoulder chip weighing heavy and we defend well.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 10:31:31 AM »
Seriously do members of this board and the national pundits believe we are taking on the Golden State Warriors? Listen I understand that this Ja Morant is a top 5 pick based on projections. Does that mean his game is going to translate to the NBA? Could Murray State beat Marquette? Absoutely. But I would not bet a cent of my money on them. 

I am so tired of hearing that Marquette has lost 5 of the last 6 but did anyone outside MU actually understand how they lost those games. Nova was supposed to be a loss. 2/3 we blew leads late. The last game of the regular season the team shot out of thier minds. And then in the BET we got screwed but the refs. Had we beaten SH theres no doubt in my mind we would have been Big East Tournament Champs. I think everyone would be singing a different tone if it were Murray State vs BET Champs.  Besides I believe this team is going to be playing with fire because of how that SH game ended.

To be honest, I would not bet Marquette either. To any non MU fan, this is an easy upset to pick. We are playing terrible. I get all the negative comments about MU. My assistant picked MS in his bracket. Can we win this game? Of course we can but I would not be surprised if we lose.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 10:52:16 AM »

So was isiah cannon
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

dannyb334

• Walk-On
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 12:05:40 PM »

If MU had won the BE Tourney, they wouldn't even be playing Murray. They'd probably be a 4 anyways (in the grand scheme being a 4 vs. 5 doesn't matter at all)

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 07:47:08 PM »
You use this to bash fivethirtyeight, but they gave Trump a 28% chance, while every other model had him at like 5%.

So they know their stuff.

On this one, they're right.  I like us to beat Murray State, but it isn't a given.  I think we would struggle with Florida State due to their length, so I'll be cheering for Vermont.  FSU is also probably the best 4 seed.  I have a hard time seeing us getting past Gonzaga, they just have too much offense and we don't play the slow-em-down style that St. Mary's used to beat them. 

The models rightfully don't think we're likely to go deep in this one.  Neither do I.  But I'll be cheering my ass off and hoping for several big Ws and a trip to Minneapolis.

It was a joke, but I couldn't use teal on an image.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 07:58:29 PM »
Listen I understand that this Ja Morant is a top 5 pick based on projections. Does that mean his game is going to translate to the NBA?   

I have been saying for months that he will be the #2 pick after Zion. I'm guessing there are a lot more believers now.

feedback