[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Decourcey picks Murray State  (Read 6681 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
Re: Decourcey picks Murray State
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 01:16:06 AM »
Many experts will.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/march-madness-bracket-2019-upset-predictions-final-four-pick-in-west-region/qiy5yi59v9lv1tn8tnt12c519

These Racers are the perennial “wise guy” horse. That horse never wins the Derby.

Alas, there are no absolutes in games of chance...as of course, no horse since Apollo had won the Roses without a start at age 2 and in 2018, we know how unJUSTIFY-ed that line of reasoning can be...

Still, Murray St is looking over at Eddie Moysh in the bathroom while Coffee-Cake face stares them down. And expectedly, Kryptonite is on an easy lead.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 09:37:54 AM »
Are we going to start a new thread every time some guy with a sports blog picks Murray State?
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 09:46:53 AM »
Are we going to start a new thread every time some guy with a sports blog picks Murray State?

If it maximizes the chances the team sees how everyone's picking against them, why not?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 09:48:26 AM »
Colt
They are the "wise guy" pick and I am not biting.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 09:56:09 AM »
If it maximizes the chances the team sees how everyone's picking against them, why not?

I don't want the team to care who everyone else is picking.

Or to read Scoop, for that matter.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 10:12:18 AM »
Davidson was the trendy pick in 2013 as well. Granted, they did pretty much have that game won but still.

Marquette will come out playing hyped between the last game against Seton Hall, and the media attention Murray St is going to get. The important thing is going to be the ability to play with an edge while still playing in control.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 10:32:12 AM »

Generally agree (especially about Scoop), but I don't think it's the worst thing in the world for Wojo to be able to play the "nobody respects us" card.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 11:33:47 AM »

I kind of do.  Let them know that the world thinks you are going to be beat and prove them wrong.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 11:45:51 AM »
This is an easy upset pick for both the national pundits and Joe Fan. We lost 5 of our last 6 and they have a top-3 draft pick. Plus the whole 12-5 thing.

Heck, I've been surprised the few times I heard guys were picking u, as I believe both Dakich and Bilas have.

I usually chuckle at the "nobody respects us" card -- especially loved it when guys like Michael and Kobe used to play it -- but you obviously gotta play it if you're Wojo. And he will, if he hasn't already.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 11:53:13 AM »

And call them "experts"?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 12:05:23 PM »
Heck, I've been surprised the few times I heard guys were picking u, as I believe both Dakich and Bilas have.

I usually chuckle at the "nobody respects us" card -- especially loved it when guys like Michael and Kobe used to play it -- but you obviously gotta play it if you're Wojo. And he will, if he hasn't already.

Dakich may be the kiss of death.
The Patriots played the "nobody respects us card" all the way to another Lombardi trophy. Saban loves the nobody respects us card. Much more than rat poison.

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 12:12:54 PM »
Many experts will.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/march-madness-bracket-2019-upset-predictions-final-four-pick-in-west-region/qiy5yi59v9lv1tn8tnt12c519

I know you couldn't care less but you manage to ruin this board every March with your relentless "look at me" posts and superfluous commentary.  I'll do my best to ignore but man, you make it so tough.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 12:15:09 PM »
Who besides MU fans is NOT picking Murray State?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 12:16:31 PM »
I would much rather have the Nova matchups w/ St Marys and Purdue. if we get by Murray St then FSU is arguably the 2nd best ACC team

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 12:18:47 PM »
Bilas and Greenberg were borderline dismissive of the idea that MU would lose
No Finish Line

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 12:18:58 PM »

Yessir. So easy to pick Murray State in this one.

Gonna be fun blowing up the brackets of all those who thought they were going out on a limb to pick the 12 over the 5.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Class71

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 12:21:24 PM »

Computer model says MU 67% of the time wins.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 12:28:28 PM »
Computer model says MU 67% of the time wins.

The computer must think Markus's wrist is worse than we thought.....

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 12:32:55 PM »
CBS “experts” were 7/7 taking Murray State lol
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 12:35:16 PM »

All seven?  ::)

Not the fault of Murray St. obviously, but I hope Marquette whoops them by 30 now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 12:37:33 PM »

On the other hand, the CBS Sports computer model loves Marquette:

If you're looking for a pick that will give you a huge edge in your 2019 March Madness bracket, SportsLine's model says you should back No. 5 Marquette with confidence. Look for the Golden Eagles to bounce back from a tough end of the season to make a Sweet 16 run.

The Golden Eagles' first-round matchup against Murray State will feature two of the most talented guards in college basketball. Marquette's Markus Howard was named Big East Player of the Year and enters Thursday's matchup averaging 25 points, four rebounds and four assists. He's been sensational for the Golden Eagles, scoring at least 30 points 10 times this season, which includes a herculean 53-point effort against Creighton.

On the other side of the court will be Murray State's Ja Morant, who's expected to be a lottery pick in the 2019 NBA Draft. Morant has been lights-out for the Racers, averaging 24.6 points and 10 assists.

The Racers have won 11 consecutive games, while Marquette stumbled down the stretch, losing five of their last six. However, SportsLine's model sees a clear advantage for Marquette in this 5 vs. 12 matchup. Don't be fooled by Marquette's recent struggles - the model is still all-in on the Golden Eagles to avoid the upset, and you should be too.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ncaa-tournament-2019-bracket-picks-predictions-from-proven-computer-model/

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 12:41:18 PM »
I kind of do.  Let them know that the world thinks you are going to be beat and prove them wrong.

But that is what Wojo's bulletin board is for; not Scoop.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 12:47:44 PM »
Knot a crazy pik. MU will have a tuff tyme checkin' Morant. Dude is projected top 5 Association pik. Markus will struggle ta get his shot up, rist or know rist. Gonna give Morant his poynts and shut down the udder Racer dudes, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 12:52:22 PM »
What do the statistical Gurus from Cracked Sidewalks say?  Those are the guys I believe.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 02:01:20 PM by NCMUFan »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 02:07:19 PM »
Dakich may be the kiss of death.
The Patriots played the "nobody respects us card" all the way to another Lombardi trophy. Saban loves the nobody respects us card. Much more than rat poison.

Actually, Dakich is one of my favorite analysts along with Bilas. Maybe you don’t like him because he learned his jerkiness lessons well from Knight. He’s probably the analyst I would least like to spend time with.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 02:38:02 PM »
Actually, Dakich is one of my favorite analysts along with Bilas. Maybe you don’t like him because he learned his jerkiness lessons well from Knight. He’s probably the analyst I would least like to spend time with.

Nah. He's just wrong very often.
Like when he said Jeff Brohm had accepted the Louisville job (he hadn't).
Or he had Steve Alford replacing Tom Crean (he didn't).
Or when he said Mikes Bridges "has no game." (he does).
Or when PJ Fleck was taking the Cincinnati job. (he didn't).
Or when he wrote earlier this year that the Rutgers and Penn State hoops squads were "dangerous" (they weren't, unless he meant dangerously bad).
Or when he wrote that any team that drafted Porzingis "would regret it" (I dunno ... maybe the Knicks do, but they're the Knicks for a reason).
There are others. Just saying, I take little comfort in Dakich thinking MU wins Thursday.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 02:55:19 PM »
After giving it some thought... if Markus Howard is sidelined or otherwise neutralized by health issues, this game is a slam dunk for Murray State.  I'm sure the thought is that you can't replace a national top-5 scorer, and none of these "experts" has time to go back and look at the Georgetown game (among others).  But what they did have time to see was the highlight of Markus wincing in the hallway during the SHU game.  When Todd put pressure on the side of his wrist, that made for very powerful video.

So in my opinion, virtually everyone picking against MU right now is relying on Markus being injured.  Whether that's the case or not, I can't say, but what I can say is that if I had no affiliation to MU and saw that wince on Friday, I sure as hell would be betting on any #12 upsetting MU in the first round.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 04:24:26 PM »
Nah. He's just wrong very often.
Like when he said Jeff Brohm had accepted the Louisville job (he hadn't).
Or he had Steve Alford replacing Tom Crean (he didn't).
Or when he said Mikes Bridges "has no game." (he does).
Or when PJ Fleck was taking the Cincinnati job. (he didn't).
Or when he wrote earlier this year that the Rutgers and Penn State hoops squads were "dangerous" (they weren't, unless he meant dangerously bad).
Or when he wrote that any team that drafted Porzingis "would regret it" (I dunno ... maybe the Knicks do, but they're the Knicks for a reason).
There are others. Just saying, I take little comfort in Dakich thinking MU wins Thursday.

Can't argue with anything you say. My take was as a color analyst. DURING games, I think he does an outstanding job.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 04:59:21 PM »
Sounds like Murray State is better than Buffalo. Quite frankly I can't remember when the basketball gurus ever liked Marquette.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 05:04:12 PM »
Sounds like Murray State is better than Buffalo. Quite frankly I can't remember when the basketball gurus ever liked Marquette.

They aren't.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2019, 05:10:00 PM »
Can't argue with anything you say. My take was as a color analyst. DURING games, I think he does an outstanding job.

I think you are in the minority with that opinion. I don't know anyone else who shares your admiration for him although I'm sure there are some.

Most cbb fans that I know have a hard time deciding who they dislike more between Vitake and Dakich.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2019, 05:20:57 PM »
Better than Buffalo? I’m assuming this is sarcasm
No Finish Line

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2019, 05:36:00 PM »
I think you are in the minority with that opinion. I don't know anyone else who shares your admiration for him although I'm sure there are some.

Most cbb fans that I know have a hard time deciding who they dislike more between Vitake and Dakich.
Add Anderson to the list of awful broadcasters next to Vitals and Dakich.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2019, 05:37:27 PM »
Anyone know anything about the peeps calling our game?
No Finish Line

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2019, 06:08:53 PM »
Add Anderson to the list of awful broadcasters next to Vitals and Dakich.

No..... Anderson is a play by play guy not an analyst and he is really good...........add Walton to go with Dakich and Vitale and you have the Mount Rushmore  of awful analysts.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2019, 06:17:37 PM »
No..... Anderson is a play by play guy not an analyst and he is really good...........add Walton to go with Dakich and Vitale and you have the Mount Rushmore  of awful analysts.
Bill Walton is outstanding! Must see to TV for myself.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2019, 06:19:25 PM »
Anyone know anything about the peeps calling our game?
I put the entire NCAA link up in the Big East TV thread. Found no point starting a new one.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2019, 06:30:05 PM »
I put the entire NCAA link up in the Big East TV thread. Found no point starting a new one.
Yeah I know who they are but I’m wondering how they are
No Finish Line

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2019, 06:37:00 PM »
Yeah I know who they are but I’m wondering how they are
Oh.

Debbie Antonelli has done games for ESPN, BTN, CBS, FOX, Raycom and Westwood One. She also does WNBA games for ESPN and NBATV, and has been the main play-by-play voice of the Indiana Fever; since 1996. I like her! She does her homework.

Carter Blackburn has already done a Marquette game this year on CBSSN.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:39:12 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2019, 06:43:53 PM »
Oh.

Debbie Antonelli has done games for ESPN, BTN, CBS, FOX, Raycom and Westwood One. She also does WNBA games for ESPN and NBATV, and has been the main play-by-play voice of the Indiana Fever; since 1996. I like her! She does her homework.

Carter Blackburn has already done a Marquette game this year on CBSSN.
Nice thanks for the info
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2019, 07:39:20 PM »
I know you couldn't care less but you manage to ruin this board every March with your relentless "look at me" posts and superfluous commentary.  I'll do my best to ignore but man, you make it so tough.

I enjoy Spotted Cow, of course.

Use ignore function.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:43:57 PM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2019, 07:41:22 PM »

I thought we were Buzz's bulletin board.   :D

🏀

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2019, 08:01:09 PM »

One bulletin board at a time

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2019, 08:06:18 PM »
You know, there's nothing like tuning in for an awful WCC game in San Diego on a Friday night enjoying a beer with nothing to do.  And old Bill Walton rambles on about god knows what with the play-by-play ignoring literally every other statement.  It can be fun...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2019, 08:28:15 PM »

looks like someone needs a snickers...sheesh.  judging from this comment, don't tell me there aren't any others on your ignore list besides cheeks...and now me 8-) 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2019, 08:29:34 PM »

While we disagree on Dakich, we certainly agree on the other two. But there’s a guy who is worse than both and it’s not even close. I was in my car lat week and turned on the Score. Rick Mahorn was doing color for the Illinois game. It was only radio, but he made Dickie Simpkins seem like a color guy god.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2019, 08:39:40 PM »

Isn’t that just a 75in tv with a live feed of scoop?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2019, 01:28:56 PM »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2019, 01:56:03 PM »
The entire cbssports.com college basketball writers team is picking Murray State.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2019-ncaa-tournament-bracket-predictions-march-madness-expert-picks-upsets-winners/

This is some serious bulletin board material.  Wojo doesn't strike me as the kind of coach that would use it...but wow.  Just zero love.  Not that we've really earned any over the last few weeks. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2019, 02:08:02 PM »
Doesn't DeCourcy have a Big Ten game to handicap?

Go Warriors!