[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Use It  (Read 5487 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Use It
« on: March 16, 2019, 01:26:15 AM »
If I'm on the team, I'm mad as hell with how this game went down. Heck, I'm a fan sitting on my couch and I'm mad as hell about it.

Use it. Let this disrespect fuel everything we do for the rest of the season. I may be crazy, but this has me fired up and thinking that we go on a nice run in the tournament.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 01:36:59 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Use It
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 01:29:42 AM »
In 50 years of watching hoops, I have never seen a more pathetic group of refs. The 3 should never work a Big East game again.

I understand a Flagrant 1, but that elbow Powell threw into Sacar was a Flagrant 2 and should have been ejected.  Right or wrong?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 01:32:05 AM »
In 50 years of watching hoops, I have never seen a more pathetic group of refs. The 3 should never work a Big East game again.

I understand a Flagrant 1, but that elbow Powell threw into Sacar was a Flagrant 2 and should have been ejected.  Right or wrong?

Right.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 01:32:35 AM »
Heck, I'm a fan sitting on my couch and I'm mad as hell about it.

It’s 1:30 and this many people are still pissed off on Scoop.

Agree with everything.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 01:33:39 AM »
It’s 1:30 and this many people are still pissed off on Scoop.

Agree with everything.

I literally cannot sleep because I have so much adrenaline flowing through me right now. I need to find something to punch.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 01:35:19 AM »
I literally cannot sleep because I have so much adrenaline flowing through me right now. I need to find something to punch.

Find Myles Powell.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 01:35:44 AM »
Love the optimism. all you can do at this point is focus on the big tourney

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 01:39:07 AM »
Yep. Time to go win the real tournament.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 01:41:19 AM »
Gotta say I always cheer for all the Big East teams in the NCAA tournament but I’m fine with Seton Hall eating a giant sh!tburger next week.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 01:47:07 AM »

friends. Let me introduce you to a wonderful elixir: whiskey
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 06:44:21 AM »
If I'm on the team, I'm mad as hell with how this game went down. Heck, I'm a fan sitting on my couch and I'm mad as hell about it.

Use it. Let this disrespect fuel everything we do for the rest of the season. I may be crazy, but this has me fired up and thinking that we go on a nice run in the tournament.
Sorry....nothing in MU's performance in the past 4 weeks should leave someone with the feeling that we go on a nice run in the tournament. Losing 5 of the last 6 does not give that impression.
This was the first year in a long time that I felt there was a chance for that, but then the team crapped the bed. Other teams improved and learned how to beat us, while we went into a shell. That is not the makings of an elite, or even very good NCAA team, nor is it a "trend" in the right direction.
Look, Wojo may be a good guy and wants to win as we all do, but he just does not have the acumen to get us there. He has been there 5 years now and we are still flailing around. The last part of the season has been a total fiasco, losing those 5 of 6 when we were in the drivers seat, in a very down year. Hell, Wright lost almost his whole team to the NCAA and is winning the conference again.
Wojo is the guy making the bucks, has tremendous resources available to him with budget, facilities, arena, etc. So he must be held accountable, unless we all have accepted that making the dance twice every 5 years is "sweet". I suspect many on this board want more than that, and we should be getting it with the program resources. Soon we will be saying Oh well there is next year and we will be stacked. Right. Same coach and players that we had this year that collpsed down the stretch. I hope I am wrong, and some type of miracle happens, but holding ones fingers crossed and wishing does not make it so. Maybe thinking "there is still a chance" is a better option. The way we schmucked it down the stretch this year reminds me of the Louisville Meltdown under Buzz, only difference was that was one game while this destroyed the potential of a very good season.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 07:12:17 AM »
I want to believe this will fuel a run and I obviously hope it does, but I have my doubts. In the last 5 close games we’ve played we’ve tightened up and failed to make winning plays. Each game was ours for the taking.
No Finish Line

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 07:17:02 AM »
TAMU
I said several times last night that last night be a turning point for the program. I thought they battled awfully hard in a hostile environment. They easily could have lost by 10+ points the way things were going,
I am not sure this will be a “use it” moment or not, but I hope so.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 07:47:47 AM »
TAMU
I said several times last night that last night be a turning point for the program. I thought they battled awfully hard in a hostile environment. They easily could have lost by 10+ points the way things were going,
I am not sure this will be a “use it” moment or not, but I hope so.
So do I, but they have had several use it games in past few weeks, and managed 1 win out of those. Not very good odds.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 08:37:54 AM »
Looks as if MU will have a new rivalry going forward with SH.  It will be very interesting if last night's game carries over into next year.  SH was predicted to finish 8th in the BE and lost Delgado, Rodriguez, Carrington and Sanogo and yet they won 20 games, are playing for BE Championship and will make NCAAs.  Willard should have been COY.

Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong last night.  Powell's elbow to chest should have been classified as a punch and he should have been gone, MU had leads of 12 and 10 and could not hold on, the first and fourth best free throw shooters in the BE missed eight free throws down the stretch.  On and on....

Looks like 6 seed now, down from a 3 seed a few weeks ago, but at least they are still in the mix.  Wojo advised his players were upset, sobbing in the locker room.  It's time to use this game as a motivation factor for the players and even after a problematic bad game streak, it's a new start next week.  Looking forward to see who the opponent is and the kids get pumped up for the new season to begin. 

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 08:46:14 AM »

Look, Wojo may be a good guy and wants to win as we all do, but he just does not have the acumen to get us there. He has been there 5 years now and we are still flailing around.

I think the issue is not whether or not Wojo can coach or even is a good coach.  I think he has improved in that capacity greatly over the years.  And I really do not understand the incredible optimism everyone had with this team...it is a flawed product.  We do not have a point guard.  Without a true point guard you are going to do what we did, be great in some games, suck in others.  The issue is whether or not Wojo can build a roster.  He deserves more time on that front.

I inferred this in another thread and no one commented, but I think you give this roster to Coach K and he is only a game or two better than what we did this season.  The issue is not the coach.

Aren't we all tired of rebuilding?  Get a new coach and that is back where we are.  Or does that give us a reasonable excuse for sucking and that is why so many want to start over?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 08:56:40 AM »
I think the issue is not whether or not Wojo can coach or even is a good coach.  I think he has improved in that capacity greatly over the years.  And I really do not understand the incredible optimism everyone had with this team...it is a flawed product.  We do not have a point guard.  Without a true point guard you are going to do what we did, be great in some games, suck in others.  The issue is whether or not Wojo can build a roster.  He deserves more time on that front.

I inferred this in another thread and no one commented, but I think you give this roster to Coach K and he is only a game or two better than what we did this season.  The issue is not the coach.

Aren't we all tired of rebuilding?  Get a new coach and that is back where we are.  Or does that give us a reasonable excuse for sucking and that is why so many want to start over?
This “fire Wojo” mantra gets waaaaaay too much attention. Reality is not a single rational poster I know of has suggested he should lose his job. Of course the reason it gets so played out by many is there are a handful of posters on this site who do nothing but cherry pick the most negative of posts and dry hump them to death daily
No Finish Line

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 09:00:37 AM »

Right.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 09:06:30 AM »
Powell's elbow was dirty.   I believe that refs chose flagrant 1 for two reasons.   1.  The elbow was to the sternum and not above the shoulders.   2.   They made the choice, ironic in light of what was to come, to not dictate outcome by running a star player.   So they applied a narrow and strict interpretation.    IMO, the T-on Sacar, again ironic in light of what was to come, was to keep things from escalating.   Again,  IMO they thought, at the time, they were bringing order and doing what they could to let the players decide the outcome. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 09:08:47 AM »
This “fire Wojo” mantra gets waaaaaay too much attention. Reality is not a single rational poster I know of has suggested he should lose his job. Of course the reason it gets so played out by many is there are a handful of posters on this site who do nothing but cherry pick the most negative of posts and dry hump them to death daily
Reality is we pissed away a conference championship while in the director's chair and now people seem to think it is better to cherry pick posters commrnts to criticize and not focus on the collapse.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2019, 09:13:37 AM »

Correct. Sacar should have fallen down and acted it out. It was hard enough of a shot he should sold it. But his ego got in the way He wanted to prove he would not back down. When you demonstrate that emotion you hurt the team. With ice in your veins make the smart decision next time. It is hard to do but it will serve you well in life.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 09:14:09 AM »
Powell's elbow was dirty.   I believe that refs chose flagrant 1 for two reasons.   1.  The elbow was to the sternum and not above the shoulders.   2.   They made the choice, ironic in light of what was to come, to not dictate outcome by running a star player.   So they applied a narrow and strict interpretation.    IMO, the T-on Sacar, again ironic in light of what was to come, was to keep things from escalating.   Again,  IMO they thought, at the time, they were bringing order and doing what they could to let the players decide the outcome.

Well it was still within their right to make the proper calls thereafter. Sacar did absolutely nothing when he got ejected. He and Cale pushed each other a bit. Cale did not get a foul. Sacar got a tech. It’s insane. They should have given Powell a tech 2 on that play as well. He initiated a fight,after previously elbowing a guy as hard as he could in the chest. His night should have been done. The fact that Sacar paid 2x for Powell’s transgressions is just comical.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2019, 09:37:55 AM »
Yeah! We know every ref will be gunning for us.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 09:38:53 AM »
Correct. Sacar should have fallen down and acted it out. It was hard enough of a shot he should sold it. But his ego got in the way He wanted to prove he would not back down. When you demonstrate that emotion you hurt the team. With ice in your veins make the smart decision next time. It is hard to do but it will serve you well in life.
I am totally fine with and LOVED the fact that Sacar got in his face after that elbow.

People here bitch and moan about the team being “soft”.  Well, I’ll tell you what:  Sacar was making Powell his bitch up to that point and was clearly in his head. Keep pushing that advantage all day long. Don’t let up.  Keep trying to take Powell out of his game. 

I’ll live with the consequences but to clearly send the message “ you can’t unnatural carnal knowledge with me” is totally worth it IMO.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 04:46:10 AM »

No.  Nothing about this is right.  Acting isn't the right decision and if that's your life advice as well then yikes.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 06:49:38 AM »
Warriors don't flop.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 07:30:30 AM »
imho...it's not a "use it" moment because the reason MU ultimately lost was a terrible game by markus.  if he shoots a half-way decent percentage MU wins.  i think we win in the tourney as long as markus has decent games (shooting percentage wise).  the problem with markus' game is that when he doesn't shoot well, he still shoots often, and will not impact the game on the defensive end or from an assist side of things.  sam can shoot poorly but get boards...same with joey.  theo can own the lane.  sacar can be a shut down defender.  seems like it's been all or nothing for markus. 

PVMagic

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 08:11:12 AM »
If Wojo has learned anything in his 5 years, he will smooth out any chips on their shoulders and rally the team against Markus's recent struggles

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 09:58:43 AM »
1. Over the course of the season BE teams learned how to beat us by adjusting their defense and attack accordingly. Hey, these are good teams with good coaches and the experience of playing us twice.
2. We don't really have a point guard. Markus is a combo and at his best in the 2 position. Greg Elliot's red shirt hurt us more than expected and though Joe C's defense helped, providing offense was never his game. To play in the NBA Markus needed to play the point more and this year was an opportunity to get better and showcase this side of his talent. The results thus far have been uneven and he is pretty beat up as a result. The last several games demonstrate this all too well. 
3. I don't think MU can sustain a long tourney run this year but with adequate rest for Markus, I do believe he can lead us to a win or two. But whether does this or not, he should stay for his senior year. It will be good for him, good for the team, and good for MU in general. There is no better example of college basketball dedication, talent, class, and character than Markus.
4. Coach Wojo has won some and lost some but he gives credit to the players when they win and takes the blame when they lose. I respect him for this and much more. Though I love Sacar's mojo and banjo, Coach Wojo is the real glue man. This has been a very good year already. Maybe it will last just a bit longer. You deserve it Coach. Hell, we all deserve it after Seton Hall.     

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2019, 11:08:01 AM »
I think you can prove you are tough and that you won't "lie down and take it" without clapping your hands in the opponent's face.

Sacar already "won" that battle by not going to the floor after absorbing Powell's elbow and by getting into Powell's head so much that Powell committed a flagrant foul. As soon as he responded by clapping in Powell's face, Sacar turned a win into at best a tie (and, as it turned out, a loss). I don't see how clapping in an opponent's face is seen as "tough" or "manly" or "not backing down." It's silly macho crud and it hurt his team.

Now, it's easy for me to say all of this when I'm not the one in the heat of the battle. Sacar reacted. Athletes do that kind of thing all the time ... including Powell after Theo "shoved" him. So I'm not upset at Sacar at all; just trying to figure out why some Scoopers think Sacar's post-elbow actions were somehow good.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2019, 11:27:33 AM »

I'm with you 100%, BUT what about next year?  When it happens to Butler or Xavie what do we say?  Do we want a secret appology from the Big East commishoner?  Hell no, we want a public
admission.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2019, 11:31:08 AM »
I'm with you 100%, BUT what about next year?  When it happens to Butler or Xavie what do we say?  Do we want a secret appology from the Big East commishoner?  Hell no, we want a public
admission.

I don't want anything from the Big East.  Missed calls are a part of the game. What I want is a stellar postseason performance from our team
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 12:51:54 PM »
I don't want anything from the Big East.  Missed calls are a part of the game. What I want is a stellar postseason performance from our team

This year looks great.  Next year, as Yogi would say, will be like "Deja Vu All Over Again".

Luck, missed calls, injures, poor game plan, match ups, travel, sickness, tranfers, academic eligability, are all part of the game. 

Nefarious systemic paterns of behavior are not part of the game.  Do you work for the Big East or Marquette?  I'm sorry, have fun, I understand.  I'll be on the edge of my seat Thursday night listening from afar.  I'm with this team 150%.  I never ever want to see them disrespected again.  Obviously we see last week differently.  You see a few missed calls, I see something else, so be it.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2019, 01:13:57 PM »
I don't want anything from the Big East.  Missed calls are a part of the game.

I would like the Big East to evaluate their refs and replace some of them.  I don't know about the rest of you, but it seemed to me this officiating this year in particular, well was awful.  And I am not stating awful against MU in particular.  Awful overall.  So yes, I want something from the Big East.  I want them to get better refs.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2019, 03:41:26 AM »
I would like the Big East to evaluate their refs and replace some of them.  I don't know about the rest of you, but it seemed to me this officiating this year in particular, well was awful.  And I am not stating awful against MU in particular.  Awful overall.  So yes, I want something from the Big East.  I want them to get better refs.

Hay, it was only the Marquette vs. S.H. game.   The decision process was, let the second class refs. have at it.  That way S.H. might win.  If it was well officiated Marquette would win and thats not good for the Big East tournament.

They let it happen, they did not make it happen and that is the crime.

feedback