[Today at 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[Today at 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is Today the Greatest Hoops Day of the Year?  (Read 2876 times)

Benny B

• All American
Is Today the Greatest Hoops Day of the Year?
« on: March 15, 2019, 10:27:01 AM »
For the more-than-casual fan of college hoops, anyway?  Granted, the greatest hoops day of the year for the die-hard Marquette fan will occur next month, but strictly from a quality plus quantity standpoint, is there anything better than Selection Friday?  Consider:

1) 44 games today tipping off between noon and 11:59 EDT.
2) All of the major conference tournaments (and some of the mid's and low's) in their respective quarter- or semi-finals, i.e. generally speaking, most of the conference bottom feeders are already eliminated.
3) 20 of the top 25 teams are in action today.
4) Most of the tourney at-large selections will be in action.

Without a doubt, nothing compares to the energy and anticipation of the first round games next Thurs & Fri, but there's only 16 games each day, and unless you get a Cinderella, the majority of the games are real snoozers.

I'm likening Selection Friday today to Thanksgiving... not only is it the holiday immediately preceding the most wonderful time of the year, but even though Christmas is much more special, Thanksgiving is observed by many more.  I like Christmas, but Thanksgiving seems like more fun and a lot less stressful.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUfanatic45

• Team Captain
Re: Is Today the Greatest Hoops Day of the Year?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 10:30:27 AM »
For the more-than-casual fan of college hoops, anyway?  Granted, the greatest hoops day of the year for the die-hard Marquette fan will occur next month, but strictly from a quality plus quantity standpoint, is there anything better than Selection Friday?  Consider:

1) 44 games today tipping off between noon and 11:59 EDT.
2) All of the major conference tournaments (and some of the mid's and low's) in their respective quarter- or semi-finals, i.e. generally speaking, most of the conference bottom feeders are already eliminated.
3) 20 of the top 25 teams are in action today.
4) Most of the tourney at-large selections will be in action.

Without a doubt, nothing compares to the energy and anticipation of the first round games next Thurs & Fri, but there's only 16 games each day, and unless you get a Cinderella, the majority of the games are real snoozers.

I'm likening Selection Friday today to Thanksgiving... not only is it the holiday immediately preceding the most wonderful time of the year, but even though Christmas is much more special, Thanksgiving is observed by many more.  I like Christmas, but Thanksgiving seems like more fun and a lot less stressful.

Definitely disagree on that part

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 10:34:26 AM »
I like the Thanksgiving analogy, but then next Thursday/Friday is like 4th of July, which is better than Thanksgiving because it's summer out. Both are awesome.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 10:35:44 AM »
Thanksgiving is the best.  The absolute best.  May only be topped by the 4th of July (I live in MU Topperland, he and his minions crush it on the 4th).

Well done Benny B, well done.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 10:44:41 AM »
Thanksgiving is the best.  The absolute best.  May only be topped by the 4th of July (I live in MU Topperland, he and his minions crush it on the 4th).

Well done Benny B, well done.

In Topperland, Bucky Badger stains his crapper on the 4th.  Let’s hope that scene repeats itself today and MU grabs their four seed.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 11:58:50 AM »
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday by far. And while I don't know about the greatest, this is definitely one of the best of the year. TAMU is out for spring break and I have the day off. Gonna be a good day.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 12:02:49 PM »
I do love conference tournament week as much as the first day of the NCAA Tournament. For me, Thursday is better than Friday as there isn't any afternoon Big East games. Always on vacation for me!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 12:20:09 PM »
I greatly enjoyed my sick day yesterday (to take care of my sick kid), but the waiting for the games to begin at noon was annoying.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 12:28:49 PM »
Next week is vastly superior for me.  I do love the drama of the smaller conference tournaments but the power conference tournaments aren't that exciting.

Take Florida State vs Virginia Tech yesterday.   Close game,  thrilling finish in both regulation and overtime,  but ultimately meant nothing.   Both teams will still be playing next week.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 01:01:38 PM »
Next week is vastly superior for me.  I do love the drama of the smaller conference tournaments but the power conference tournaments aren't that exciting.

Take Florida State vs Virginia Tech yesterday.   Close game,  thrilling finish in both regulation and overtime,  but ultimately meant nothing.   Both teams will still be playing next week.

The first Thursday and Friday of the Big Dance are always the best, but when one of those falls on St. Patrick's Day then it's epic.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 01:03:35 PM »
Far prefer the first couple days (and actually the first entire 4-day weekend) of the NCAA tourney.

That's especially true if MU is in it and advancing, because I care about the whole thing more.

I simply don't care that much about most of these conference tourneys. I can watch SportsCenter or Gameday for 20 minutes and get all I need from the highlights.

But I can see why college basketball junkies might love a day like today more.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 01:09:11 PM »
The first Thursday and Friday of the Big Dance are always the best, but when one of those falls on St. Patrick's Day then it's epic.

It's also epic if St. Patrick's Day falls on Saturday.   Then you basically get 3 St. Patrick's Days.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 02:53:43 PM »
This week is fun because it is also sad for me in how we get our basketball since November. FS1 coverage of the Big East. Big Ten on BTN. Pasch/Walton on the Pac-12. ESPN, CBSSN. It feels like the season is over.

We start new with the CBS/Turner partnership. It like a new sport for lack of better word. What other sport is like that where the faces, sound and view points change. None.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 02:56:36 PM »
It will be the best day if there are enough upsets to help MU.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 04:06:28 PM »
Count me among those who consider next Thursday and Friday as the best two days of the year...by a huge margin. Then comes next Saturday and Sunday...again by a huge margin.

After that, I still watch and enjoy (especially the Final Four), but my interest wanes if MU isn't playing.

Regarding this week's games, I've always been lukewarm. Sure, the final seconds of a mid- or low-major punching its ticket can be fun...but it's just one mid- or low-major beating another mid- or low-major. The magic of the first four days of the Dance is that you get mid- and low-majors playing (and often beating) big-name high-majors. You just won't get that today or tomorrow....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 04:25:00 PM »
A few years ago, I met my brother and his friends in Vegas for the second weekend of the NCAA tourney. We had a blast ... from what I can remember.

At least I didn't wake up with a Tyson-ish tat on my face.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 04:53:50 PM »
A few years ago, I met my brother and his friends in Vegas for the second weekend of the NCAA tourney. We had a blast ... from what I can remember.

At least I didn't wake up with a Tyson-ish tat on my face.

did you wake up with a tiger in your bathroom?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Eye

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 09:34:47 PM »
I actually like the Thursday - Friday of this weekend better than Thursday - Friday of next weekend. Just better overall level of play. But not the case by next Saturday.
GO WARRIORS!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 11:03:36 PM »
Just a reminder, folks: I said “no” well before the MU game even started.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 12:02:24 AM »
Just a reminder, folks: I said “no” well before the MU game even started.

Not sure the rest of the nation cares that much that MU lost.  As far as excitement goes, it was a damn good game. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2019, 12:05:39 AM »
Not sure the rest of the nation cares that much that MU lost.  As far as excitement goes, it was a damn good game.

I think you’re confusing a close game with a good one.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 12:08:03 AM »
Non MU or SH fans kept watching that game the same way they would have watched a YouTube video of a multi-car accident

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2019, 12:10:11 AM »
Non MU or SH fans kept watching that game the same way they would have watched a YouTube video of a multi-car accident

A comedy of errors is still a comedy.   

Think of all the inPlay action Vegas took in during the ‘extended’ 2nd half.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 12:13:24 AM »
A comedy of errors is still a comedy.   

Think of all the inPlay action Vegas took in during the ‘extended’ 2nd half.

You got that sow’s ear turned into a silk purse yet? ;)