Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East POY  (Read 9847 times)

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
Re: Big East POY
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2019, 05:32:11 PM »
Congrats to Markus who represents MU so we’ll off and on the court.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2019, 05:34:35 PM »
Right on.  Congratulations Markus.  You are a great Warrior.  Hope you have enough left to turn it up a notch to lead the team to win out.  Play hard like it's your last game.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2019, 05:44:43 PM »
Nice going, Markus. It does sorta make you wonder about next year.

Not any different than had Markus not won the award, imo.  College performance and NBA draft range are not always synonymous.

The SI big board ranked Markus 44th about a month ago.  That was up from 63 on their January board, so Markus was trending up. 

I expect Markus will declare and test the waters.   The feedback Markus receives will be more influential than what awards he wins.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2019, 06:13:18 PM »
Not any different than had Markus not won the award, imo.  College performance and NBA draft range are not always synonymous.

The SI big board ranked Markus 44th about a month ago.  That was up from 63 on their January board, so Markus was trending up. 

I expect Markus will declare and test the waters.   The feedback Markus receives will be more influential than what awards he wins.

They just released a new one today.  They have him at 61 I believe.  Below Ponds, Strus, etc.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2019, 06:19:13 PM »
Congrats Markus

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2019, 06:36:42 PM »
They just released a new one today.  They have him at 61 I believe.  Below Ponds, Strus, etc.

Thanks for the update.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2019, 06:46:30 PM »

This
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2019, 07:00:19 PM »
Congrats to markus!  Let’s get another!

Has anyone won 2 poy’s  ?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2019, 07:04:04 PM »

Yes - a current big east coach won it twice and another won it three times. Multiple others as well.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2019, 07:09:09 PM »

Yup, in the days where players actually stayed especially.  Ewing won twice, and Mullin won three times.  Richard Hamilton (2), Troy Murphy (2), Troy Bell (2), Kris Dunn (2).

No freshman has ever won it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 08:00:39 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2019, 07:09:35 PM »
Yes - a current big east coach won it twice and another won it three times. Multiple others as well.

Markus returns, wins it again, Wojo goes to Duke, Markus graduates and takes over as HC.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2019, 07:09:43 PM »

And interestingly, the two coaches (Mullin and Ewing) shared the award twice.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2019, 07:16:48 PM »
Vote was unanimous for Markus as POY according the Inside MU basketball show tonight.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2019, 07:19:51 PM »
Yup, in the days where players actually stayed especially.  Ewing won twice, and Mullin won three times.  Charles Smith (2), Richard Hamilton (2), Troy Murphy (2), Troy Bell (2), Kris Dunn (2).

Believe those are two different Charles Smith’s

MuMark

• All American

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2019, 07:49:03 PM »
https://amp.jsonline.com/amp/3144240002?__twitter_impression=true
What a classy Representative of Marquette.   We’re fortunate to have him in a lot of ways. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2019, 07:51:55 PM »
Yup, in the days where players actually stayed especially.  Ewing won twice, and Mullin won three times.  Charles Smith (2), Richard Hamilton (2), Troy Murphy (2), Troy Bell (2), Kris Dunn (2).

Who won it in Carmelo's freshman year?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2019, 07:57:25 PM »
How did Jay Wright win COY over Willard??? I love Jay Wright, but Willard got robbed.
Why the hell didn't Wojo win COY.he is the man
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2019, 07:58:08 PM »
Who won it in Carmelo's freshman year?

Troy Bell, Boston College

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2019, 07:59:31 PM »
Why the hell didn't Wojo win COY.he is the man

You know he got votes, including Jay Wright's who admitted he voted for him.  If he was such a slouch, or used car salesman as you implied, he would have received any.

By the way, how long you been following MU?  You've said 1954, 1955, 1957.  You keep changing the years, how long as it been?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2019, 08:00:18 PM »
Believe those are two different Charles Smith’s

You are correct.  Charles E. Smith and Charles D. Smith.  I will correct.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2019, 08:02:28 PM »
Where’s Sacar redux?

"There's guys like Theo (John) and Ed (Morrow Jr.) that are setting screens to get me open that go unnoticed. Guys like Sam (Hauser) and Joey (Hauser) who are unbelievable players and their attention (from opponents' defenses) gets me open. I'm just so grateful for those guys. This is as much their award as it is mine." 
No Finish Line

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2019, 08:03:50 PM »
Congrats to Mr. Howard. A huge and well deserved honor. I think he and I would agree that we won't be satisfied unless we bring home a BET championship along with it!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2019, 08:09:45 PM »
You know he got votes, including Jay Wright's who admitted he voted for him.  If he was such a slouch, or used car salesman as you implied, he would have received any.

By the way, how long you been following MU?  You've said 1954, 1955, 1957.  You keep changing the years, how long as it been?
I believe it was 55. But hat was s long time ago
Likely longer than you though
 What is your point?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2019, 08:14:01 PM »
I believe it was 55. But hat was s long time ago
Likely longer than you though
 What is your point?

Yes, I was born in the 60's so it would definitely be longer.   I'm just curious because you keep throwing around how long you have been a fan, but the year keeps changing....that's all.