[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:43:51 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hell of a regular season  (Read 19985 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Hell of a regular season
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2019, 04:31:02 PM »
I was referring to the five years Wojo’s been here.

Understood, but because you said "a program like Marquette's", I included the entire run from previous coach to current coach.  Let's hope it doesn't happen.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2019, 09:36:14 PM »
Spaniel

Weren't you the guy telling us older guys to get over the '77 team? Why in the hell are you referencing a team you told others to stop talking about? FYI--we were talking about '77 in reference to this team. Consensus--apples and oranges, zero comparison can be made outside of both teams representing Marquette University.

LOL I would never tell anyone to stop talking about 1977 - I was there! I just think it was a different era and the game has exploded in popularity since then. It is a lot harder to field a championship caliber team these days, especially in a short period of time. That was my only point in referencing 1977. Not only are the teams apples and oranges, so are the eras they competed in. I appreciated the way the 1977 team represented the university and appreciate the accomplishments of this team as well.

The 1977 team remains the gold standard. I wanted to point out how that team kind of stumbled into the tournament - as this one appears to be doing - and it all turned out OK in the end. Hopefully there are a lot of meaningful games coming up for this team. Go Marquette!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2019, 09:44:09 PM »
Spaniel

Was only teasing. I agree with your post, really is different times.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2019, 10:31:02 PM »
I appreciate that Goose. Hard to tell sometimes with the way the last 2 weeks have gone!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2019, 10:36:27 PM »
When a team is shooting above 50% from 3, a zone is not the answer.

When a team has a guy blowing by his defender and getting fouled in the lane time after time after time maybe it is.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2019, 11:36:05 PM »
When a team has a guy blowing by his defender and getting fouled in the lane time after time after time maybe it is.

Akinjo shot 3-10 on 2s, McClung shot 3-5 on 2s, and other than the FTs with 10 seconds left when we were extending the game they combined to shoot 2 FTs in the last 4 minutes (missing one).  Our 2 point D was not the problem, for the game Gtown shot under 40% from 2s, where they beat us was shooting an absurd 58% from 3, that's over 20% higher than their 36% team average, for the game they made 11 three's and only 12 two's.  Throwing a zone in the mix was not the answer. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:56:13 AM by Its DJOver »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2019, 06:26:30 PM »
Der is know comparision between the '77 team's losin' streak and dis yeer's losin' streak. Absolutely nun, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2019, 07:01:27 PM »
1977 hugely important.  1974.  1970.  1955.  Etc.  But those were years when televised basketball was rare, ESPN didn't exist, travel was harder, and scholarships allowed teams to horde players.

The world changed....a lot.   Doesn't mean we cannot get there, but I believe realism has to be factored in.  There's a reason why we have to keep hiring assistant coaches.  There is a reason why some kids don't like 20 degrees for 3 straight months and grey skies.  Scholarships and the explosion of programs has created many more opportunities.  Xavier was a joke program in the 60's and 70's.  Gonzaga...LOL.  University of Florida...if you would have told those people even in the 90's they would win 2 national titles  and play for a third in the next decade they would all be laughing on the ground.

We have a fighter's chance and our history should never be forgotten or a beacon of what is possible, but it also took some very special circumstances and special human beings to make that happen.  Nothing routine about it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2019, 07:34:12 PM »
Cheeks
I love you as a poster, but you talk a lot of crazy stuff. No, we are not repeating the Al era at any point. That said, to believe we cannot be a national recognized program is false. If Gonzaga can be a top five program, no reason in hell MU cannot be as well.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2019, 07:58:55 PM »
Cheeks
I love you as a poster, but you talk a lot of crazy stuff. No, we are not repeating the Al era at any point. That said, to believe we cannot be a national recognized program is false. If Gonzaga can be a top five program, no reason in hell MU cannot be as well.

Exactly. Tale of the tape: Marquette ve Gonzaga.

History:       Advantage Marquette
City:            Advantage Marquette
Conference: Advantage Marquette
Arena:         Advantage Marquette

Crap conference, minor league city in the middle of nowhere, very little TV exposure, no history, etc., yet somehow the very less than dynamic Mark Few has made Spokane an "it" place to be. 7 or 8 years ago we were on the verge, no reason it can't happen here.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2019, 08:35:37 PM »
Der is know comparision between the '77 team's losin' streak and dis yeer's losin' streak. Absolutely nun, hey?

Why? This isn't a snarky question, I wasn't alive so I don't have the context. The stories I have always been told was that at the time the streak was devastating and demoralizing but obviously wasn't the end of the story. Is there context that I'm missing that actually makes that streak "better" than it appears to the eye?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2019, 08:42:40 PM »
Why? This isn't a snarky question, I wasn't alive so I don't have the context. The stories I have always been told was that at the time the streak was devastating and demoralizing but obviously wasn't the end of the story. Is there context that I'm missing that actually makes that streak "better" than it appears to the eye?

Simple answer: #15
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2019, 09:12:11 PM »
Doc
You could add their draft selection numbers as well. I believe all were drafted in the NBA, with four making the show.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2019, 09:56:35 PM »

Simple answer: #15

I wasn't asking about the team. I was asking about the losing streak. Wouldn't a better team mean the losing streak was worse?
TAMU

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2019, 11:04:17 PM »
Cheeks

We already are a national program, I don’t believe I said we cannot as I don’t believe that...I believe we are a national program already.  I get crazy with the Al comparisons, the 1970’s stuff, etc.

Gonzaga is an exception the rule because of the conference they are in....and it took them nearly 20 years to get to this stage.  They are guaranteed to get to 24 wins every year bas d on their conference schedule alone.  When Few retires, what happens to them?  I think they go down considerably.

When you play in a tough conference, momentum is a bitch.  Sustainability very tough.  But national program, we are already there and have been since the Crean years.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2019, 11:11:34 PM »

Crap conference, minor league city in the middle of nowhere, very little TV exposure, no history, etc., yet somehow the very less than dynamic Mark Few has made Spokane an "it" place to be. 7 or 8 years ago we were on the verge, no reason it can't happen here.

All opinions...nothing more.

I love Milwaukee, would take Spokane at times.  Different strokes for different folks...eye of the beholder.  Not everyone likes urban areas, just as not everyone likes college towns.  Same for weather, etc, etc.

Conference is advantage until it isn’t.  Gonzaga will win that conference every year, always be top 20 because of it...their easier conference helps them.  Eye of the beholder.  Think Memphis back in the day.  Big East huge befit for us, but also a problem, too.  9 other teams can beat you any night...two other WCC teams can do that to Gonzaga.

Arena...eye of the beholder.  Their little on campus arena is sold out always always always.  We have a great arena, play second fiddle to Bucks and so far sell out most games...but tarps still come out at times.

History is the only one....but guess what, 17 year old recruits think history started around 2000....relativity.  If history was as strong an indicator as some would like, Minnesota football would still be dominant...so would Fordham, Army, Navy.  St. John’s and DePaul basketball, Houston, Georgetown, NC State.  History is great, but is fleeting and relative
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 02:37:04 AM by Cheeks »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2019, 11:47:32 PM »
All opinions...nothing more.

Right. A city in the east Washington desert may be an advantage over an NBA city on Lake Michigan.

Games that 90% of the USA never sees (because they're not on TV or are on so late people have gone to bed) are an advantage over having almost all of your games on national TV, most weeknights at primetime.

Having zero history is an advantage to having a storied past.

And finally, if being in the Big East isn't an advantage over being in the WAC, why have you referred to it as the crown jewel of the Cords/Crean administration? Are you now saying that maybe we would have been better off moving down in class to a conference we could have dominated? Is it now Cord's and Crean's fault instead of something to their credit? LOL.

Pretty much everything on Scoop is a matter of opinion, though. Some informed, some logical, some not so much. Even contradictory ones can amuse. Carry on.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 12, 2019, 11:57:40 PM »
Let's rest up the injured boys and kick some tail.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2019, 01:28:29 AM »

Agreed with the above.  Now instead of running our coach out of town prematurely we need to have Wojo stick around for 15-20 years and the coaching tenure advantage will be marked in our favor as well. 

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2019, 01:31:38 AM »
Let's rest up the injured boys and kick some tail.

Hear hear!   Let’s get em boys!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2019, 02:46:33 AM »
Right. A city in the east Washington desert may be an advantage over an NBA city on Lake Michigan.

Games that 90% of the USA never sees (because they're not on TV or are on so late people have gone to bed) are an advantage over having almost all of your games on national TV, most weeknights at primetime.

And finally, if being in the Big East isn't an advantage over being in the WAC, why have you referred to it as the crown jewel of the Cords/Crean administration? Are you now saying that maybe we would have been better off moving down in class to a conference we could have dominated? Is it now Cord's and Crean's fault instead of something to their credit? LOL.

Pretty much everything on Scoop is a matter of opinion, though. Some informed, some logical, some not so much. Even contradictory ones can amuse. Carry on.

Not everyone likes 10 below in the winter, higher crime, etc.  Sorry to break it to you.  If NBA city was crucial, how have programs like Duke, UNc, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, and on and on and on done so well.

Different strokes for different folks.  Surely Paul George will go back to his hometown in Los Angeles.  Surely Bryce Harper will go to the Dodgers.  Surely ....stop calling me Shirley.

Please read what I said again about the conference, it appears it didn’t take root.  It’s a benefit, but also a curse.  If you are really good, like Nova, it is a huge benefit.  If you are trying to get there, it can make the sustainability year in and year out difficult to maintain.  I love that we are in the Big East, all I am saying is the WCC means Gonzaga will remain ranked forever as long as Few is there.  It’s like the joke of the Big Ten football divisions and how Wisconsin has a built in lay up every year and that benefits them as a result.  If they played in the other division the competition would be better, but their results poorer.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2019, 03:14:02 AM »

Lenny

You are forgetting the Bing Factor: Der Bingle went to Gonzaga.

Advantage Zags

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2019, 09:52:00 AM »
Not everyone likes 10 below in the winter, higher crime, etc.  Sorry to break it to you.  If NBA city was crucial, how have programs like Duke, UNc, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, and on and on and on done so well.

Different strokes for different folks.  Surely Paul George will go back to his hometown in Los Angeles.  Surely Bryce Harper will go to the Dodgers.  Surely ....stop calling me Shirley.

Please read what I said again about the conference, it appears it didn’t take root.  It’s a benefit, but also a curse.  If you are really good, like Nova, it is a huge benefit.  If you are trying to get there, it can make the sustainability year in and year out difficult to maintain.  I love that we are in the Big East, all I am saying is the WCC means Gonzaga will remain ranked forever as long as Few is there.  It’s like the joke of the Big Ten football divisions and how Wisconsin has a built in lay up every year and that benefits them as a result.  If they played in the other division the competition would be better, but their results poorer.

1.The weather is beyond our control. It's crummy in Milwaukee, a disadvantage against many and a push against some. Never said differently, though if I were you I would say "some kids love the cold!" and be technically factual and intentionally misleading. BTW, the weather sucks in Spokane too.

2.The reason Harper didn't go to LA was $$$. Unless you're suggesting that Gonzaga outbids us for players, your argument is senseless.

3. A "blessing and a curse"? Fine. Most things are. But you're on record as saying that all things considered the Big East is a NET blessing. Conversely, I think you would agree that a conference like CUSA or the WAC is a NET negative compared to the Big East. If not, why did we move.

4. You never touched on TV, so I'll assume you agree that being televised nationally in prime time regularly is an advantage to an occasional national game that ends after midnight in most of the country.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2019, 10:15:37 AM »
Gonzaga is such a weird program. Hard to compare them to anybody honestly. Villanova is the better aspiration for a program like Marquette IMHO. Absolutely possible for Marquette to reach those levels with the right coach in place. Is Wojo that coach? I hope so, but I'm not convinced yet.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 10:27:52 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2019, 10:23:46 AM »
Gonzaga is such a weird program. Hard to compare to them to anybody honestly. Villanova is the better aspiration for a program like Marquette IMHO. Absolutely possible for Marquette to reach those levels with the right coach in place. Is Wojo that coach? I hope so, but I'm not convinced yet.

Gonzaga also has a weird international recruiting pipeline that I don't think anyone else can really replicate.  Hachimura couldn't have been on too many people's radar considering the overall talent level coming out of Japan.  When they made their run to the championship game, they were anchored by 7-1 Karnowski out of Poland.  They've got Arlauskas coming from Lithuania next year, and he's supposed to be the real deal.  I have no idea how they established this pipeline, but other than SMC down under, no other program really comes close in that regard.