[Today at 09:43:19 PM]

Pitino's Modern Take on a Maguire Move, Blow off the NIT by BLWarrior91
[Today at 09:38:18 PM]

NIL legal update by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 09:10:52 PM]

Kolek Update by PointWarrior
[Today at 08:49:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: 2019 Coaching Carousel  (Read 198535 times)

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #1075 on: May 18, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »
It is said you can take the boy out of the Lanche, but you cannot take the Lanche out of the boy. Sadly, some forget this lesson.

Al said it best - the best finishing school for college boys is behind the wheel of a cab or tending bar for working stiffs who know the meaning of an honest day's wage for an honest day's work.

For me, it was the crucible of war. Jumping out of an aircraft to operate deep inside bad guy land with 7 other Ranger-trained warriors for two weeks at a time strips away the superficial, the pretensions, and the gilded edges.

There is no finer compliment one can pay a man than to trust him to have your back. Few have that privilege.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1076 on: May 18, 2019, 01:34:12 PM »
Al said it best - the best finishing school for college boys is behind the wheel of a cab or tending bar for working stiffs who know the meaning of an honest day's wage for an honest day's work.

For me, it was the crucible of war. Jumping out of an aircraft to operate deep inside bad guy land with 7 other Ranger-trained warriors for two weeks at a time strips away the superficial, the pretensions, and the gilded edges.

There is no finer compliment one can pay a man than to trust him to have your back. Few have that privilege.

at what point did those come back?

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #1077 on: May 18, 2019, 01:34:59 PM »

Michigan has a lot of money, but they cannot claim they are a blue blood when it comes to basketball.   

My guess is internal.

Not sure of the precise definition of Blue Blood but Michigan Athletics is a machine. They win consistently in every sport , men and women's, in which they field a team. 

And the University of Michigan is an academic powerhouse which excels in every way possible. It's student athletes are expected to perform both on the field and in the classroom. And they matriculate to go on to lead lives of distinction.

Duke only wins in basketball while Kentucky and Kansas are great in hoops but, really, nothing else.

Taken as a whole I would rather be U of M than KU or UK. 

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #1078 on: May 18, 2019, 01:50:55 PM »
How do you know if someone went to Harvard? Don't worry, they'll tell you.

And when is the last time Michigan football won something of consequence?

Now, back to talking about coaching changes.

How do you know if someone didn't go to Harvard? Don't worry, their jealousy and anger at the unfairness of life will tell you.

And when is the last time Michigan football won something of consequence? Does a National Championship under Lloyd Carr count?

When is the last time a Congregation of Holy Cross school won anything of consequence? How you say...Ronald Reagan era...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1079 on: May 18, 2019, 01:53:12 PM »
Not sure of the precise definition of Blue Blood but Michigan Athletics is a machine. They win consistently in every sport , men and women's, in which they field a team. 

And the University of Michigan is an academic powerhouse which excels in every way possible. It's student athletes are expected to perform both on the field and in the classroom. And they matriculate to go on to lead lives of distinction.

Duke only wins in basketball while Kentucky and Kansas are great in hoops but, really, nothing else.

A bit of hyperbole here....they are certainly an upper echelon athletic department with the funding to show for it.  They have also historically had some nice majors for some of these kids to be housed in to pull that off specifically in football and hoops.  That said, an excellent academic school and excellent athletics, but they do not win in every sport they field a team in.  Men's Lacrosse, as an example, are 35-76 in their history....MU gave UM a loss this year to help that cause. 

Duke has won 6 national titles in golf, 3 in Lacrosse, 5 in basketball, 1 in soccer and 1 in tennis.  That's more than just basketball. 

Kentucky won a national title in football as well as cross country. 

Kansas has won a number of track and field national titles and cross country....8 in total. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 01:59:01 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #1080 on: May 18, 2019, 02:09:29 PM »

Good mellow drama
Should we just name Jon the GOAT and shut down the internet?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 02:11:19 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1081 on: May 18, 2019, 02:48:53 PM »

Michigan and Ohio State are in their own special class. Neither is a Blue Blood but both are consistently highly competitive ,and in the national conversation, in most sports  .  They are both schools that kids and their families are interested in . As such , these two can reasonably compete in recruiting for the best athletes year in and year out. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #1082 on: May 18, 2019, 03:29:02 PM »
Michigan and Ohio State are in their own special class. Neither is a Blue Blood but both are consistently highly competitive ,and in the national conversation, in most sports  .  They are both schools that kids and their families are interested in . As such , these two can reasonably compete in recruiting for the best athletes year in and year out.
They are blue bloods in FB.  Everything else is a minor sport...  :)

coffee cup

• Walk-On
« Reply #1083 on: May 19, 2019, 12:31:01 AM »
"For me, it was the crucible of war. Jumping out of an aircraft to operate deep inside bad guy land with 7 other Ranger-trained warriors for two weeks at a time strips away the superficial, the pretensions, and the gilded edges."

Good Lord.

As a currently serving, 29 years in, Army soldier this is.........really something.

All day, every day I work, serve with sailors, soldiers, airmen, marines, USCG in what is called in the military a "Joint" environment. You can imagine the experiences these men and women have had in the last 18 years. Not one of them talks like the quote above. Inconceivable. I'm sure Jon served with distinction but as a service member I'm embarrassed that comments like that could be seen to reflect on myself and the people Ive served with.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:33:37 AM by coffee cup »

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #1084 on: May 19, 2019, 12:49:38 AM »
Thx for saying that coffee, i would hope so.  Read his post on the superbar “For the Scoop Pilots” quite certain the fact that it has a grand total of 0 responses says it all.

Thank you for serving.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:52:27 AM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1085 on: May 19, 2019, 07:43:25 AM »
Thanks for your service coffee.  Glad your 'carrying a weapon and on the wall'.  Post more often.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1086 on: May 19, 2019, 12:38:32 PM »
"For me, it was the crucible of war. Jumping out of an aircraft to operate deep inside bad guy land with 7 other Ranger-trained warriors for two weeks at a time strips away the superficial, the pretensions, and the gilded edges."

Good Lord.

As a currently serving, 29 years in, Army soldier this is.........really something.

All day, every day I work, serve with sailors, soldiers, airmen, marines, USCG in what is called in the military a "Joint" environment. You can imagine the experiences these men and women have had in the last 18 years. Not one of them talks like the quote above. Inconceivable. I'm sure Jon served with distinction but as a service member I'm embarrassed that comments like that could be seen to reflect on myself and the people Ive served with.

Great post. And THANKS for your service!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #1087 on: May 19, 2019, 01:22:59 PM »
Thanks to you, Keefe, and all other service members for your service.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1088 on: May 19, 2019, 02:12:43 PM »

+1000

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1089 on: May 19, 2019, 02:49:00 PM »
How do you know if someone didn't go to Harvard? Don't worry, their jealousy and anger at the unfairness of life will tell you.

And when is the last time Michigan football won something of consequence? Does a National Championship under Lloyd Carr count?

When is the last time a Congregation of Holy Cross school won anything of consequence? How you say...Ronald Reagan era...

Half a title before anyone on the current team was born.  Bravo. Let us know when Big Blue makes the Big Ten title game. Of course, they’d have to beat Ohio State first, for just the third time since 2000.

Now, about that coaching search. Would they really go with Juwan Howard??
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 10:57:47 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1090 on: May 19, 2019, 04:26:59 PM »

that's a dittos and a big 10-4 over here
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1091 on: May 19, 2019, 10:44:43 PM »
Did y'all see the Curb Your Enthusiasm in which Larry refused to thank the veteran for his service?

It was really funny.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #1093 on: May 20, 2019, 08:18:59 AM »
Agreed, thanks to Jon and Coffee for serving. 

With regard to Jon’s hubris and his graduate degrees, nobody gives a crape except his buddies who seem to lap it up like puppy dogs.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1094 on: May 20, 2019, 11:48:40 AM »
Did y'all see the Curb Your Enthusiasm in which Larry refused to thank the veteran for his service?

It was really funny.

loved that one!  ;D ;D ;D

It's coming back - I can't wait.

RIP Marty Funkhouser.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1095 on: May 20, 2019, 12:46:53 PM »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: May 20, 2019, 02:26:13 PM »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1097 on: May 20, 2019, 04:34:37 PM »
Ed Cooley legitimate candidate at Michigan

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1130569643184336904

@chrisgrenham
49m49 minutes ago
More Chris Grenham Retweeted Jon Rothstein
Worth noting here that the search firm hired by Michigan is led by Gene DiFilippo. DeFilippo was the Athletic Director at Boston College when Ed Cooley was an assistant coach for the Eagles. #pcbb
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1098 on: May 20, 2019, 04:56:59 PM »
Ed Cooley legitimate candidate at Michigan

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1130569643184336904

@chrisgrenham
49m49 minutes ago
More Chris Grenham Retweeted Jon Rothstein
Worth noting here that the search firm hired by Michigan is led by Gene DiFilippo. DeFilippo was the Athletic Director at Boston College when Ed Cooley was an assistant coach for the Eagles. #pcbb
Cooley would do well at Michigan.
                       ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1099 on: May 20, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »
 Jeff Goodman @GoodmanHoops

Ed Cooley was expected to meet with Michigan AD Warde Manuel today, Juwan Howard tomorrow. Luke Yaklich interviewed on Friday. The plan is to have a new coach in place by the end of the week, sources told @Stadium.

feedback