[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2019 Coaching Carousel  (Read 199170 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #1025 on: May 14, 2019, 03:16:16 PM »
Sandy

No nerve touched. Another stellar post on your part.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #1026 on: May 14, 2019, 03:25:20 PM »
Beilein was from outside of the "family." Basketball doesn't have the same "it has to be a Michigan Man" delusion that football does (maybe since they aren't hanging on to their glory days that are long gone).

If they were to really stay within 'the family" with a qualified hire then Brian Dutcher would be the guy, but as we know that isn't going to happen considering his ties to the Ed Martin scandal.  Jordan was briefly an assistant there and didn't play there. Maybe Saddi Washington? Again though, he didn't play there.

Michigan football is very relevant today.

A top 10 finish last year and a Top 10 preseason ranking today suggests they are very much in the discussion.

Even though Michigan is the winningest program in the history of the sport, I am not one who thinks Michigan needs to win it all. I love the team, the home field, the tradition. There is no finer place on earth than Ann Arbor on a Saturday in October. Michigan alumni understand this.

Go Blue!

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #1027 on: May 14, 2019, 03:27:56 PM »
Not to commingle posts but Jon would pick his nose to show you his class ring.

I have three alma maters but two class rings.

One from one of the oldest colleges in America. The other from Marquette.

When I wear one it is almost always the Marquette signet. And I wear it with pride.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1028 on: May 14, 2019, 03:29:10 PM »
Sorry if i touched a nerve, Im guessing ur an underacheiver ??
Keep up the good posting. We need more guys like you who see the big picture for what it is and less out and out slurpers. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #1029 on: May 14, 2019, 03:30:45 PM »
Living on the east coast was fun. I used to ask Michigan grads "so how many Ivy's rejected to make you go to U of M?" They'd usually say that they only applied to every Ivy school because their moms made them, then start crying.  At least those who went to Wisconsin admitted it was because Madison was "an awesome party town" and didn't try to pretend they could have gone to an Ivy, NESCAC, Duke, Northwestern, UVA, Wash U, etc.

Yea, but I did go to Harvard. So what's your point?

Is matriculating from Harvard the moral equivalent of working for, say, Columbia?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1030 on: May 14, 2019, 03:50:30 PM »
Wow this thread got worthless fast

Guess I'll check back in on the site around October

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1031 on: May 14, 2019, 03:57:42 PM »

You will miss a lot of good stuff between now and then. Recruiting, the foreign trip etc.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1032 on: May 14, 2019, 04:09:40 PM »

Pfft. Sounds like something a graduate of an inferior university might say.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1033 on: May 14, 2019, 05:26:31 PM »

Is matriculating from Harvard the moral equivalent of working for, say, Columbia?
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/alan-dershowitz-mccarthyism-harvard-winthrop-house-sullivan-weinstein
                       ---Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1034 on: May 14, 2019, 05:55:09 PM »

How do you know if someone went to Harvard? Don't worry, they'll tell you.

And when is the last time Michigan football won something of consequence?

Now, back to talking about coaching changes.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #1035 on: May 14, 2019, 06:38:10 PM »
How do you know if someone went to Harvard? Don't worry, they'll tell you.

And when is the last time Michigan football won something of consequence?

Now, back to talking about coaching changes.

Didnt take long did it 😂😂
Like the sun in the East 😂😂
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1036 on: May 14, 2019, 06:41:50 PM »
Sum y'all kneed ta find yo entertainment bye fartin' in da bathtub, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1037 on: May 14, 2019, 08:24:51 PM »
Sum y'all kneed ta find yo entertainment bye fartin' in da bathtub, hey?

Think some of the fools on here are getting dutch oven'd by the old lady every night.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #1038 on: May 14, 2019, 09:43:52 PM »
Jonny has seen talent here on the west coast, he would know.

But how?  I don’t get it. How could I have watched so many pac 12 games?   It just doesn’t make sense. 

☝️  This guy

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #1039 on: May 14, 2019, 10:01:27 PM »
Not really.  Most Harvard grads I know don’t talk about it a lot.  They went to undergrad there though and when you do that it’s the equivalent of “old money”.  You don’t have to say anything, you just know you are rich.  Grad school people tend to brag.  They are the equivalent of “new money”.  They wear it on their sleeve or their finger to feel like they are in a club they are really not in.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1040 on: May 14, 2019, 10:05:19 PM »
But how?  I don’t get it. How could I have watched so many pac 12 games?   It just doesn’t make sense. 

☝️  This guy

Ahh yes, the west coast
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1041 on: May 14, 2019, 10:21:04 PM »
Not really.  Most Harvard grads I know don’t talk about it a lot.  They went to undergrad there though and when you do that it’s the equivalent of “old money”.  You don’t have to say anything, you just know you are rich.  Grad school people tend to brag.  They are the equivalent of “new money”.  They wear it on their sleeve or their finger to feel like they are in a club they are really not in.
I agree with this analysis.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1042 on: May 15, 2019, 07:24:31 AM »
Well this thread has nothing to do with the topic. Suppose other than the Recruiting & NM, that's par for the course.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1043 on: May 15, 2019, 01:30:53 PM »
Brendan Quinn from The Athletic lists florida's Mike White as the likely top candidate for Michigan, Wojo, Steve Prohm and Mike Brey in the next group. Also says Juwan Howard would draw interest if he wants to leave the NBA for college.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1044 on: May 15, 2019, 02:00:57 PM »
Brendan Quinn from The Athletic lists florida's Mike White as the likely top candidate for Michigan, Wojo, Steve Prohm and Mike Brey in the next group. Also says Juwan Howard would draw interest if he wants to leave the NBA for college.

Goodman reported that both White and Brey aren't interested. I just can't see Howard being a legitimate candidate because A) he has no college coaching experience, B) he has no head coaching experience and C) he was a member of the Fab Five and some in Ann Arbor are still spooked by any connections to that group and their history.

"Media speculation on the candidates is laughable. For example:  As for potential candidates Michigan may consider, The Sporting News' Mike DeCourcy came out with a list on Monday detailing where the program may turn. Former Florida coach Billy Donovan, who is now with the Oklahoma City Thunder, is at the top of the pecking order followed by Davidson's Bob McKillop and Ed Cooley at Providence."
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1045 on: May 15, 2019, 02:04:54 PM »
Goodman reported that both White and Brey aren't interested. I just can't see Howard being a legitimate candidate because A) he has no college coaching experience, B) he has no head coaching experience and C) he was a member of the Fab Five and some in Ann Arbor are still spooked by any connections to that group and their history.

"Media speculation on the candidates is laughable. For example:  As for potential candidates Michigan may consider, The Sporting News' Mike DeCourcy came out with a list on Monday detailing where the program may turn. Former Florida coach Billy Donovan, who is now with the Oklahoma City Thunder, is at the top of the pecking order followed by Davidson's Bob McKillop and Ed Cooley at Providence."

McKillop? Michigan isn't hiring a 68-year-old who's never been above the mid-major level in any role.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1046 on: May 15, 2019, 02:15:59 PM »
Considering how far down their wish lists UCLA and SJU ended up, it will be interesting to see how it goes for Michigan. 
Michigan has a lot of money, but they cannot claim they are a blue blood when it comes to basketball.    Thanks to the vacating of so many games thanks to the Fab 5, their official record differs from their regular record.      But Brian Ellerbe and Tommy Amaker did not have great records at UM, and even Beilein was only 248-143 and 111-87 in 12 years.    In other words, 21-12 and 9-7 ish on average. 

Should be entertaining.    My guess is internal. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:34:20 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1047 on: May 15, 2019, 03:40:09 PM »
Considering how far down their wish lists UCLA and SJU ended up, it will be interesting to see how it goes for Michigan. 
Michigan has a lot of money, but they cannot claim they are a blue blood when it comes to basketball.    Thanks to the vacating of so many games thanks to the Fab 5, their official record differs from their regular record.      But Brian Ellerbe and Tommy Amaker did not have great records at UM, and even Beilein was only 248-143 and 111-87 in 12 years.    In other words, 21-12 and 9-7 ish on average. 

Should be entertaining.    My guess is internal.
Most every school not a blue blood would be delighted with 2 national championship games in 12 years.
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1048 on: May 15, 2019, 03:46:57 PM »
Most every school not a blue blood would be delighted with 2 national championship games in 12 years.

I think Beilein was a very good college coach.    I think he had a couple of great runs that he should be proud of and that I am jealous of.   But it cannot be argued that Michigan is a blue blood in basketball or that Beilein had an overall record that was truly awesome.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1049 on: May 15, 2019, 03:56:35 PM »
I think Beilein was a very good college coach.    I think he had a couple of great runs that he should be proud of and that I am jealous of.   But it cannot be argued that Michigan is a blue blood in basketball or that Beilein had an overall record that was truly awesome.   

People often lump Syracuse and Arizona in with the Blue bloods, Michigan has more final fours and runner ups than either of them. Not saying that they're a blue blood but just that I think if one was going to include AZ and SU they'd have to include UM.
Maigh Eo for Sam