[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Entrance Exam Cheating Scandal  (Read 22155 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Entrance Exam Cheating Scandal
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2019, 11:00:05 AM »

Talkin' select skools heer. Last eye looked #75 orr sew in USNWR rankin' wuzant part of da mix, hey?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2019, 11:18:40 AM »
Doesn't this also highlight part of the problem. She has done nothing herself. Her contribution to her company/brand is taking pictures of herself hanging out with her famous and rich friends.

Her work is going out and partying and being seen. That is simply marketing her rich/famous lineage. Kind of like "royalty".

You are calling that an accomplishment, being born rich and famous is in your mind, a worthy accomplishment that should let her into an elite school. When she herself says she had no intention of going to class or doing school stuff, but would talk to Deans to "work it out".

It is disgusting.
+1
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2019, 11:19:26 AM »

You are calling that an accomplishment, being born rich and famous is in your mind, a worthy accomplishment that should let her into an elite school. When she herself says she had no intention of going to class or doing school stuff, but would talk to Deans to "work it out".

No matter how she got in, if my kid posted something like that to social media, I am buying her a ticket on the next Megabus out of town.  And she ain't coming to my house to live.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2019, 11:25:42 AM »
Lori Loughlin's daughter Olivia Jade was aboard USC official's yacht in Bahamas when mom was charged

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/lori-loughlins-daughter-was-in-usc-officials-yacht-when-mother-was-charged.amp

I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were more to that story.

It's the worst kept secret in Hollywood that models, reality stars, and female C-list celebs make quite a bit of money as "yacht girls", especially in the UAE.

I Kould give you some Klues as to who some of them are.
Have some patience, FFS.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2019, 11:37:31 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were more to that story.

It's the worst kept secret in Hollywood that models, reality stars, and female C-list celebs make quite a bit of money as "yacht girls", especially in the UAE.

I Kould give you some Klues as to who some of them are.

She and the board president's daughter are friends and were Spring Breaking together.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2019, 11:41:04 AM »
Allegedly, She and the board president's daughter are friends and were Spring Breaking together.

How bad were her scores that knowing the Board President wasn't enough to get in?

ETA: FIFY
Have some patience, FFS.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2019, 11:46:59 AM »
How bad were her scores that knowing the Board President wasn't enough to get in?

Yeah, it's probably more likely she was working as a "yacht girl" for some wealthy sultan in the UAE.
Even though she was on the board president's yacht. In the Bahamas.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 14, 2019, 11:50:23 AM »
Yeah, it's probably more likely she was working as a "yacht girl" for some wealthy sultan in the UAE.
Even though she was on the board president's yacht. In the Bahamas.

No one's been able to figure out how Rob Kardashian got into USC.  Just saying.
Have some patience, FFS.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2019, 11:51:19 AM »

Could have become friends in fall semester. Feel like that’s a little more likely story.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2019, 12:07:02 PM »
Could have become friends in fall semester. Feel like that’s a little more likely story.

You guys are spoiling all my fun!

Also, 20,000 undergrads and her bestie just happens to be the daughter of the Board President?

Have some patience, FFS.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2019, 12:14:59 PM »

Nope. Wrong answer.

burger

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2019, 12:50:34 PM »
It does sound squirmy. But at least this girl knows what soccer is, unlike the rich "crew star."

The Madison of our "state".....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2019, 01:01:12 PM »

I'll answer my own question, I guess they were so insecure about her already impressive achievements that they cheated so bad that they are now going to lose everything.  Mom, Dad, daughters are all professionally done.

Stupid on so many levels.

Unfortunately, I doubt they're done. This pathetic fiasco probably nets them a $$$$ deal for a show like the Kardashian thing. And stupid people will watch.

Totally agree with the underlined, though.....

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2019, 01:05:22 PM »
Doesn't this also highlight part of the problem. She has done nothing herself. Her contribution to her company/brand is taking pictures of herself hanging out with her famous and rich friends.

Her work is going out and partying and being seen. That is simply marketing her rich/famous lineage. Kind of like "royalty".

It is disgusting.

Forget, tSmith and Wchick et. al ... you're wrong and you showing yourself to be an out of touch old white people.

She did something.  She created a following that she is able to generate into seven figures a year. (Again it is now gone with the scandal.)  This is very hard.  Tens of thousands try, few pull it off.  She did.

Her niche is makeup and fashion on a budget.  This is very popular among teenage girls.  Old white guys don't understand this because they are out of touch. (again, I have a 13-year daughter that follows Jade and others like her, and we, read Mom, have spent money to buy clothes based in Jade's recommendations.)

Do you have the same amount of disgust for Lebron and his millions of social media followers?  For his TV produced shows.  Young teenage girls find LeBron as useless as you find Olivia Jade useless. 

Or how about young teenage boys that follow fortnite influencers on YouTube?

Welcome to 2019 old man.  Leave your values in the past for the anthropology classes to study.  The world is radically different from the days you ran home from school to watch re-runs of Gilligan's Island on WGN.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:06:59 PM by Rick Majerus' Towel »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2019, 01:06:06 PM »
Wate 'til da chit hits da fan when politician's kidds r implicated. Sum of dem old geezers are chittin'der Depends, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2019, 01:10:08 PM »
Wate 'til da chit hits da fan when politician's kidds r implicated. Sum of dem old geezers are chittin'der Depends, hey?

Just read that the tax-exempt foundation that funnels the money to the coaches listed USC coaches and the biggest recipient. Number three was UCLA.  Both schools were implicated.

Number 2 is NYU.  So far no one associated with NYU has been named.

Stay tuned.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #141 on: March 14, 2019, 01:26:33 PM »
Forget, tSmith and Wchick et. al ... you're wrong and you showing yourself to be an out of touch old white people.

She did something.  She created a following that she is able to generate into seven figures a year. (Again it is now gone with the scandal.)  This is very hard.  Tens of thousands try, few pull it off.  She did.

Her niche is makeup and fashion on a budget.  This is very popular among teenage girls.  Old white guys don't understand this because they are out of touch. (again, I have a 13-year daughter that follows Jade and others like her, and we, read Mom, have spent money to buy clothes based in Jade's recommendations.)

Do you have the same amount of disgust for Lebron and his millions of social media followers?  For his TV produced shows.  Young teenage girls find LeBron as useless as you find Olivia Jade useless. 

Welcome to 2019 old man.  Leave your values in the past for the anthropology classes to study.  The world is radically different from the days you ran home from school to watch re-runs of Gilligan's Island on WGN.

But you asked "Isn't this impressive enough to get into USC or any other elite school?"

And the answer to that is...obviously not without cheating.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2019, 01:45:24 PM »

But you asked "Isn't this impressive enough to get into USC or any other elite school?"

And the answer to that is...obviously not without cheating.

They did not try

burger

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 14, 2019, 01:52:41 PM »
The guy that was the head of this thing......

Says he has records for 800 families that he has "helped" previously.....

Do you give that guy a deal for a "reduced" sentence.....That is what he obviously jockeying for.....

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2019, 02:03:38 PM »

It is disgusting.

It's not just the kids of the rich and famous, all kinds of people post videos of themselves out on YouTube to become "celebrities" and they are able to get a gullible public (mainly kids and evangelicals) to subscribe and make them rich.  The brothers of Will Grier (QB at West Virginia) are apparently YouTube celebrities earning millions. There are evangelical individuals and couples (e.g. the family that faked a pregnancy by claiming they had a positive pregnancy test from toilet water) and the guy who went nuts over Starbucks cups make millions. It's the Kardashian effect - famous for nothing and there are enough idiots in the world who are willing to watch them do nothing to make them rich and famous.

Children of celebrities have a springboard to fame as their parents are able to have their famous friends promote them via social media and get them in magazines that idiot tweens and teens will subscribe and buy what their new heroes tell them to buy. Social media is the new frontier, it used to be clothing lines or boutiques (e.g. Ralph Lauren's daughter's candy store) or sex tapes.

USC and UCLA are attractive schools for people like this Olivia Jane kid because they're in LA and thus close access to Hollywood and have famous film schools.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2019, 03:03:01 PM »

Yeah well, you know, that's just like...Uh Your opinion man.

I am definitely in tune with the current younger generation. If Olivia was not from a famous family, she would be a nobody. No social media footprint, no nothing. You are apparently totally unaware of how this type of content is generated, who is involved, and who is doing all the work.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2019, 03:20:54 PM »

I am definitely in tune with the current younger generation. If Olivia was not from a famous family, she would be a nobody. No social media footprint, no nothing. You are apparently totally unaware of how this type of content is generated, who is involved, and who is doing all the work.

Oh, I see.  Any kid can get a million dollars in sponsors if they are from a famous family.  It's like bending over and picking up a quarter on the sidewalk for them.

Got it.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2019, 03:26:38 PM »
The guy that was the head of this thing......

Says he has records for 800 families that he has "helped" previously.....

Do you give that guy a deal for a "reduced" sentence.....That is what he obviously jockeying for.....

I'd be shocked if that isn't exactly what he's working for. If he has decent lawyers, he already has a plea deal with the prosecutors offering cooperation in exchange for a reduced sentence recommendation. In the end, the sentence is up to the judge, but recommendations from prosecutors (usually) carry a lot of weight.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2019, 03:36:17 PM »

Actually that is not completely accurate. You would be surprised how many influencers have no celebrity family background.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2019, 03:46:44 PM »
Actually that is not completely accurate. You would be surprised how many influencers have no celebrity family background.

That is true.  I have a friend who was in the photography business with her own personal website, etc.  She was doing a blog that no one was really paying attention to, but one day posted something that caught on with a local news station and ended up "going viral" to the point where it was shown on the Today Show and she was interviewed on Ellen.  This was about three years ago, and since then she has developed a pretty decent following.  She told me last year that she received nearly $200,000 in cash and product and furnished most of their new house by just agreeing to photograph and mention the products.  Nearly a million Instagram followers and a quarter million subscribers to her Facebook page.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback