Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lineup changes  (Read 6836 times)

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
Re: Lineup changes
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2019, 12:19:19 PM »
I too argued for Howland, and I have concluded we're better off with Wojo. Will you also acknowledge that, in hindsight, Howland would not have been better for MU than Wojo?

Howland: 77-54 (.588) in 4 seasons; 0 NCAA; 1 NIT; projected as a 6 seed on Bracketology.
Wojo:      96-67 (.589) in 5 seasons; 1 NCAA; 1 NIT; projected as a 5 seed on Bracketology.

Virtually identical resumes, even though Howland brought 19 years of previous head coaching experience, while this is Wojo's first HC gig. Given the near-identical results, I'll take the young guy who is still learning every day.

I don't know.  Wojo was working with a bigger budget and at a school that has a much better basketball history/reputation.  One can make the case that a "push" between the two, considering Mississippi State's starting point, is a win for Mississippi State and Howland.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2019, 12:20:36 PM »

Honestly what is wrong with his Xs and Os? This team has generally done well out of timeouts and out of bounds plays.  It's a team that needs a better ball handling guard.  Wojo knew this.  He didn't get Grimes and Chartouny has been a big disappointment.

I agree.  It's the in-game adjustments that are an area for improvement, in my opinion.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2019, 01:03:39 PM »
Lineup changes are not what is needed.  This team has enough offensive weapons to make a team pay for a particular defensive approach, but that requires the team to adjust.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2019, 01:21:42 PM »
I don't know.  Wojo was working with a bigger budget and at a school that has a much better basketball history/reputation.  One can make the case that a "push" between the two, considering Mississippi State's starting point, is a win for Mississippi State and Howland.

Yeah, but except for this season, the BE has been better than the SEC. Two #1 seeds last year, more bids in both '16 and '17 even though it's a smaller conference, etc.

I'd say a push makes it a push....

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2019, 02:25:42 PM »
Yeah, but except for this season, the BE has been better than the SEC. Two #1 seeds last year, more bids in both '16 and '17 even though it's a smaller conference, etc.

I'd say a push makes it a push....

We have to stop.  This is actually turning into a civil discussion on a difference of opinion on Scoop.  Everyone knows we just can't have that!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2019, 03:01:07 PM »
Sam NEEDS to have the ball more in his hands in the last 5 minutes...I have told people as far back as last year after the season that I hoped next year, if the game is tight in the last 5 minutes, that Sam has the ball more then Markus. I also agree with the Sam handling the ball more..Joey too..give Markus some help with the ball handling duties...also pulls their bigs out to the perimeter.

So, two bigs won't work in today's game, is what everyone THINKS...What do we think Duke who starts 6'10" Marques Bolden with Zion Williamson, or UNC who starts 6'9" Luke Maye along side of 6'10" Garrison Brooks, or Michigan State who starts Nick Ward(when healthy), and Kenny Goins, or heck how about UW who starts Ethan Happ and Nate Reuvers?? Think they feel like two bigs together doesn't work?? I said in SMALL stretches...
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 03:05:26 PM »

Howland is working at a school and conference that has easier academic standards, warmer weather, warmer coeds, etc.  Schools of that size use revenues from football and other sports to cover off on costs that MU's basketball revenues / expenses have to.  You want a weight room, MU basketball is paying for that...at a SEC school, the basketball program isn't but has the opportunity to use a state of the art weight training facility that the football revenues covered.

Let's look at it from both sides.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2019, 03:06:46 PM »
In today's game, I seriously cannot believe that anyone is suggesting we play Ed and Theo together. That would be a complete disaster.

I'm okay with starting Ed/giving him more minutes.

Definitely okay with more JC/BB over JH as well

+ infinity
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2019, 03:47:06 PM »
Sam NEEDS to have the ball more in his hands in the last 5 minutes...I have told people as far back as last year after the season that I hoped next year, if the game is tight in the last 5 minutes, that Sam has the ball more then Markus. I also agree with the Sam handling the ball more..Joey too..give Markus some help with the ball handling duties...also pulls their bigs out to the perimeter.

So, two bigs won't work in today's game, is what everyone THINKS...What do we think Duke who starts 6'10" Marques Bolden with Zion Williamson, or UNC who starts 6'9" Luke Maye along side of 6'10" Garrison Brooks, or Michigan State who starts Nick Ward(when healthy), and Kenny Goins, or heck how about UW who starts Ethan Happ and Nate Reuvers?? Think they feel like two bigs together doesn't work?? I said in SMALL stretches...

Goins, Ruevers, and Maye can all make a 3.  All can handle the ball a bit.  Reuvers and Maye are also very good post players.

Even Zion has hit a handful of threes.  Plus,  Zion can dribble drive and finish with a freakish combination of strength & athleticism.

Now compare that to John and Morrow.   Neither can faceup and shoot.  Neither can handle the ball.  Post moves, limited. It would be an offensive disaster.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2019, 04:02:09 PM »
From an offensive spacing perspective, it would be as bad or worse than Gardner and Otule.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2019, 04:40:32 PM »
From an offensive spacing perspective, it would be as bad or worse than Gardner and Otule.

Gardner at least could play a little 10-15 FT out.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2019, 04:53:49 PM »

No one said two big men together can’t work. Just that our two big men together won’t work
No Finish Line

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2019, 05:01:09 PM »
No one said two big men together can’t work. Just that our two big men together won’t work

Agreed. If one of the bigs is as mobile and versatile as Zion, or plays away from the hoop like Happ, a second big can be great. But when both can only score within 3 feet of the hoop, it would create a constant logjam.

Ed and Theo are both solid at what they do, but they would be a disaster on the court together.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2019, 10:01:16 AM »

Yup.  Our two bigs are same type of offensive player.  If one had range on his shot, perhaps.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2019, 10:33:12 AM »

Exactly.  Keep in mind that Sam at 6'8" and Joey at 6'9" work well together with either Ed at 6'7" or Theo at 6'9".  And often Baily at 6'8" plays well with any combination.  We are blessed with a long and tall group of Warriors.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2019, 11:52:52 AM »
Exactly.  Keep in mind that Sam at 6'8" and Joey at 6'9" work well together with either Ed at 6'7" or Theo at 6'9".  And often Baily at 6'8" plays well with any combination.  We are blessed with a long and tall group of Warriors.
All that height and so few post touches. I seriously don’t get why that’s not a staple of our offense
No Finish Line

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2019, 12:11:08 PM »
I would like to see Baily start instead of Joey and have Sacar at point and Markus off the ball.  I think th first makes a better defensive team and we don't lose anything on offense.  Second move should free Markus up for more shots.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2019, 12:27:12 PM »
I would like to see Baily start instead of Joey and have Sacar at point and Markus off the ball.  I think th first makes a better defensive team and we don't lose anything on offense.  Second move should free Markus up for more shots.

I like the idea of Joey off the bench.  A fresh Joey would matchup against either a backup or tired starter.  That might give him an edge that boosts his scoring.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2019, 12:43:54 PM »

We don't lose anything on offense....assuming Bailey can play like he did last game every game and that Joey doesn't play like he did last game every game.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.