Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 3 straight losses  (Read 7107 times)

StillWarriors

• All American
Re: 3 straight losses
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2019, 04:13:42 PM »
I honestly think the solution is for this team to run more...fast breaking, you don't need to think, you just react. And an open floor fits this teams skills better then a slow down half court style. The TO's would be less, Joey and Sam sniping on transition 3's.. deadly. I have often wondered why they haven't played faster this year...They haven't played at the tempo they did last year, I know that. I thought there were at least a few occasions they could have and should have run against Creighton and for whatever reason didn't. Run, run, run..open up the floor, I promise you the TO's will go way down.

I'm sure there are stats on this, but it seems to me that we have had a ridiculous amount of turnovers this year whenever we tried to push the ball up the court off of a rebound or steal. It jumps out at me as being a problem earlier in the year moreso than lately, but that may be because we stopped pushing it due to the TO issues. It seemed guys would get too excited trying to push it and throw a pass away or get it stolen off the dribble. I can remember Chartouny and Joey having the biggest issues, but several others as well.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2019, 04:44:14 PM »
  too much dribbling and why don't we know where our teammates are or are supposed to be this late in the season? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2019, 05:13:19 PM »
I honestly think the solution is for this team to run more...fast breaking, you don't need to think, you just react. And an open floor fits this teams skills better then a slow down half court style. The TO's would be less, Joey and Sam sniping on transition 3's.. deadly. I have often wondered why they haven't played faster this year...They haven't played at the tempo they did last year, I know that. I thought there were at least a few occasions they could have and should have run against Creighton and for whatever reason didn't. Run, run, run..open up the floor, I promise you the TO's will go way down.
I guess that the clueless coach has yet to think of that. And you do have to admit that the Hausers are not too fleet of foot.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2019, 05:46:07 PM »

I blame the Turnover Drinking game the friend was talked into, it was the Corn Syrup talking and not rational

Hoping all is better now....Don't do the drinking game!!! #TurnoverCity
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2019, 07:47:56 PM »

Where does talent winning the game fit into this strategy?

Class71

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2019, 08:12:10 PM »
Marcus is our leading scorer and he deserves credit. He also is our leading TO artist with almost 28% of the team's total for the season. In the last 3 games everyone is turning the ball over more while Marcus managed to increase his share to 31% of the teams total.

I would say we know what the problem is. Marcus is an issue but the team is also going in a negative direction on TO's.  So does Wojo focus on the problem? 
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2019, 08:13:08 PM »
While we are crapting the bed........

Bucky killed iowa and will leap frog us in the rankings and finish with a higher seed in the tourney.    Awesome

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2019, 08:17:41 PM »
Marcus is our leading scorer and he deserves credit. He also is our leading TO artist with almost 28% of the team's total for the season. In the last 3 games everyone is turning the ball over more while Marcus managed to increase his share to 31% of the teams total.

I would say we know what the problem is. Marcus is an issue but the team is also going in a negative direction on TO's.  So does Wojo focus on the problem? 

*Markus
*Markus
*Markus

Why is this so hard?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2019, 08:19:59 PM »

Bucky killed iowa and will leap frog us in the rankings and finish with a higher seed in the tourney.    Awesome

Same Iowa team that lost to Rutgers by double digits in Iowa just the other day...that Iowa team? 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2019, 08:42:58 PM »

*Markus
*Markus
*Markus

Why is this so hard?
71 has never ever called him Markus.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2019, 10:09:33 PM »

You know who F%cky didn't kill?

Marquette, among others.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2019, 10:18:42 PM »

Who cares?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2019, 11:42:55 PM »
He's a badgers troll. Just look at his posting history

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2019, 09:05:25 AM »

Porky agrees, at least in theory, and has been extremely frustrated about this team's nonexistent transition game.  Not having GE available this season hasn't helped, but Porky doesn't have a lot of confidence in most of our players' ability to finish with authority off a fast break.  Don't even want to ponder how many transition dunks this team has embarrassingly bounced off the rim and up to the arena ceiling!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:06:57 AM by PorkysButthole »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2019, 09:48:31 AM »

guru, I love the idea of playing fast. Every team I have coached, that's what I've wanted my players to do. Keeps the D on its heels, creates easy scoring chances. So I'm with you here ... in theory.

To run, however, a team needs a few things. We have some of those things but lack many others.

1. Need to play good D. By and large we do this.

2. Need to rebound. We're third in the league in defensive rebounding percentage.

3. Need to have players who can catch the ball on the run and then know what to do with it. Theo and Morrow (especially Theo) can beat many opposing bigs down the floor, but neither has great hands or ball skills. Joey has skills but seems to be lacking confidence now.

4. Need to have team speed. We're lacking, especially when the Hausers are on the floor. The Hausers, especially Sam, are better athletes than some believe, but they are not fast. Even Markus and Sacar don't have big-time, break-away speed like many of the quick guards out there do.

5. Need to have good on-the-fly decision-makers who aren't turnover-prone. Ugh.

So if our lineup includes the Hausers (not fast), Theo/Morrow (few ball skills) and Markus (turnover-prone), we fall short in a lot of areas necessary to consistently push the ball. Cain also is weak with the ball, and Sacar is only OK. BB has not been around long enough for me to assess, but he hasn't screamed "great fast-break player" at me yet. Also, one major reason we're a good defensive rebounding team is that all five players, including Sacar and Markus, get to the boards pretty well. To get fast-breaks, you need to have a couple of players leaking out much of the time; if we try that, we'll likely get fewer rebounds.

Oh, and how many times do we almost get a steal that looks like it will lead to an easy bucket ... only to fumble the ball and/or give it right back? I can remember many such occurrences.

I like the way you're thinking here, guru, but we don't have the ideal roster to be a "running team." Next year, with Koby and Greg (and Symir?) figures to offer more opportunities for it.

That being said, we probably can run at least a little more than we do. We do occasionally get Markus and Sam wide open for transition 3s, and those are often big momentum buckets. Would love to get Sacar, Bailey and Cain more breakaway dunks, too ... as long as they make 'em!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:04:11 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2019, 09:54:39 AM »

You don't think Wojo is painfully aware of the problem? This team has been turning over all season. It will not change now. A point guard will not magically appear in NYC next week. JC unfortunately is a complete bust. We just have to hope we can keep the turns closer to a bakers dozen.

feedback