Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Free Cain  (Read 9739 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Free Cain
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 08:27:43 PM »
My thoughts exactly.  I'm always amused by fans who aren't at practice every day thinking they know more than the coaches, whose job it is to win, as to who should play.

Wojo (and every coach for that matter) is going to put out the lineup he thinks will get him the W in that particular game.  I remember Crean starting Chris Grimm against Bucky and people wondering what the hell he was doing. Grimm shut down Alondo Tucker. If Cain has earned minutes in Wojo's eyes he'd get them.

Coaches aren't infallible. Dan Devine thought Rusty Lisch was better than Joe Montana for awhile. I think Lloyd Carr felt the same way about Drew Henson vs Tom Brady.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 10:10:33 PM »
Coaches aren't infallible. Dan Devine thought Rusty Lisch was better than Joe Montana for awhile. I think Lloyd Carr felt the same way about Drew Henson vs Tom Brady.

I never said Wojo was infallible, Lenny. Indeed, I said that what we were doing wasn't working and I probably would have tried something different if I were him.

Over the long haul, however, I'll trust the guy who sees these guys in practice every day, who knows them, who has to deal with them psychologically. And, again, who has led us to a 23-6 record.

By and large, I think Wojo has done an excellent job of deciding whom to play. Not a perfect job, because nobody is infallible. but an excellent job.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2019, 10:39:48 PM »
I never said Wojo was infallible, Lenny. Indeed, I said that what we were doing wasn't working and I probably would have tried something different if I were him.

Over the long haul, however, I'll trust the guy who sees these guys in practice every day, who knows them, who has to deal with them psychologically. And, again, who has led us to a 23-6 record.

By and large, I think Wojo has done an excellent job of deciding whom to play. Not a perfect job, because nobody is infallible. but an excellent job.

You and Billy Chico didn't say Wojo was infallible. But you both said that because he's at practice every day and has had a good season you'll back his decisions. Fine, feel free. I'm just pointing out that there have instances of other (more?) successful coaches who go to practice every day making egregious errors in evaluating their own players. I'm not saying that's what's happening here (I don't think it is), just that dismissing it out of hand as "amusing" (per Billy Chico) is unfair.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2019, 11:13:07 PM »
Leave Cain on the bench, he is too athletic.  When he plays he makes some of our players look slow.  We like slow, a quick athletic player screws everything up.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2019, 06:43:47 AM »
Leave Cain on the bench, he is too athletic.  When he plays he makes some of our players look slow.  We like slow, a quick athletic player screws everything up.

Marquette plays better fast. Teams want to clog up the offense and limit possessions.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Charlotte Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2019, 07:11:18 AM »
Haven’t you watched this year?  You’re allowed to turn it over as many times as you want provided your name is not Cain.  If it is, you get benched after your first TO. 

We’ve had these TO spouts all year round.  I am pissed for Cain.  I assume I’m missing something like effort in practice or something.  I don’t know.  But especially when he was a serviceable Freshman last year to seeing all his minutes taken by two Freshman this year.  I don’t get it.

I think if Cain played with more confidence, you might have something semi-credible, however, every time he's in the other team runs plays right at him.   His defense has a little ways to go - combined with his propensity to turn it over.....

Norm

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2019, 09:29:05 AM »
I think if Cain played with more confidence, you might have something semi-credible, however, every time he's in the other team runs plays right at him.   His defense has a little ways to go - combined with his propensity to turn it over.....

Really? What games did the other team go right after Cain on offense? The guy he covers usually does not end up shooting the ball in the very limited minutes he gets. Once in awhile yes, but you make it sound like teams change their plan to attack him - that’s not happening.

He does need more confidence, hopefully his accurate shooting in the shots he’s taken in conference play can help build that confidence up.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2019, 09:31:49 AM »
I'm just pointing out that there have instances of other (more?) successful coaches who go to practice every day making egregious errors in evaluating their own players.

I certainly agree with that. I don't think Wojo has been guilty of that -- I actually think his choice of who plays when and for how many minutes has been one of his strengths -- but it's impossible to argue with your statement that it happens sometimes.

burger

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2019, 09:43:49 AM »
If we go small to eliminate this hard double team on the center/Howard pick and roll......

You put Joey at the 5 for the 3 point shot and a close pass from Howard after drawing out the hard double......

You can play Cain and Bailey......Rebound.....Play hard defense....and just put a hand in the defenders face on 3's especially with both in the 6'8" range......

Only shoot when totally uncontested......

That is all we need......

Sacar and JC could be sprinkled in.....But for rebounding......I want 6'8"

Then with Sam as the 5th.....You have 4 6'8" guys and Howard.....

You want to eliminate the "hard hedge/double team" defense teams are using against us.......This will destroy it.....

This is WOJO's biggest moment of this coaching career........How he adapts to being "coached"......

We have better talent and flexibility than these teams.......USE IT!

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2019, 09:56:45 AM »

Marquette plays better fast. Teams want to clog up the offense and limit possessions.

Totally agree with this. I'm admittedly a complete simpleton when it comes to identifying and offering solutions, if only it were as easy as many fans think. I have just noticed that the team gets into their rhythm by pushing the ball quickly and setting up a transition mismatch/etc. Once we pass that point and have to set up an offense, we can be stifled. There are myriad factors that go into that... Athleticism is only one factor.

I also think that it's pretty clear that if everyone but Markus has an off offensive night, we will likely lose.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2019, 11:41:53 AM »
If we go small to eliminate this hard double team on the center/Howard pick and roll......

You put Joey at the 5 for the 3 point shot and a close pass from Howard after drawing out the hard double......

You can play Cain and Bailey......Rebound.....Play hard defense....and just put a hand in the defenders face on 3's especially with both in the 6'8" range......

Only shoot when totally uncontested......

That is all we need......

Sacar and JC could be sprinkled in.....But for rebounding......I want 6'8"

Then with Sam as the 5th.....You have 4 6'8" guys and Howard.....

You want to eliminate the "hard hedge/double team" defense teams are using against us.......This will destroy it.....

This is WOJO's biggest moment of this coaching career........How he adapts to being "coached"......

We have better talent and flexibility than these teams.......USE IT!

You do know that Sacar has been better for most of the conference season than three of the players mentioned, right? That while Joey was on a milk carton, Sacar made it possible for us to beat Nova on NMD, yes?

Sacar is averaging 30+ mpg. He's one of the best perimeter defenders in the conference. He's not gonna be just "sprinkled in," like JCS might be. You might want him to be, but it's not going to happen.

Overall, though, I do like some of your strategy points, even if you're a little overly dramatic.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2019, 06:35:58 PM »
When does he announce his transfer?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Norm

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2019, 07:22:22 PM »
When does he announce his transfer?

Can’t even give it 24 hours, huh?

Not sure he’ll leave with his buddy Greg playing next year.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2019, 07:30:43 PM »
Can’t even give it 24 hours, huh?

Not sure he’ll leave with his buddy Greg playing next year.

I fully believe Cain to transfer. Why would he stay? I at least respect him for not taking the mid season stupidity transfer so many due.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2019, 07:32:12 PM »
No matter.  Cain is nothing but a garbage time player.  Has not shown anything with his minutes

Norm

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2019, 07:51:47 PM »
What minutes? He barely played in BE.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2019, 07:55:05 PM »
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cain transfer and if he does I wouldn’t be surprised if it was to a smaller conference
No Finish Line

nyg

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2019, 07:55:52 PM »
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cain transfer and if he does I wouldn’t be surprised if it was to a smaller conference

Like the University of Detroit. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2019, 10:00:43 PM »
While anything is possible, I would be surprised if Cain transfers. I hope if he does, they consider using a redshirt on him. I see the potential there but the game is too fast for him right now. I really wanted to redshirt him at the beginning of this season. Greg doesn't get hurt and I think they might have.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2019, 10:18:56 AM »
He wont be leaving, gotta redshirt him next season let him get stronger and get his game better

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2019, 10:21:44 AM »
He wont be leaving, gotta redshirt him next season let him get stronger and get his game better

How many guys red shirt their junior year not due to transfer or injury? No one.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2019, 10:23:40 AM »
Should have been redshirted this year. But I think hes gone. Freshman are playing over him, where in the lineup would he be in his jr and senior year

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2019, 10:32:20 AM »
Should have been redshirted this year. But I think hes gone. Freshman are playing over him, where in the lineup would he be in his jr and senior year

Definitely. But, hard do to when you already have two guys red shirting due to injury. That's on Wojo. He has burned a scholarship for two years on Ike Eke.

If Cain was going to be red shirted, it had to happen this year. Upper class-men don't red shirt, unless they are hurt or transferring in.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2019, 10:49:59 PM »
Jamal will get an opportunity next year to contribute and he will make the most of it.

He did not have a well defined role this year and I think the coaching staff will work hard to identify a proper use for his talents.

He needs to gain size and strength this summer . I’d like to see him north of 200 pounds
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2019, 07:13:55 AM »
I watch enough Horizon League basketball to say that Cain would be an impact player at that level.  Similar to Cohen at UWGB.  If that's the role he wants, then there are a number of great options for him close to home with Detroit & Oakland. 

It does seem that the coaching staff is moving on with Bailey with those minutes.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow