[Today at 08:39:42 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:53:13 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Ranking Big East Centers by The Equalizer
[June 07, 2024, 05:10:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blue Jay Way  (Read 16831 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: Blue Jay Way
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2019, 07:17:38 PM »

He played ten minutes.  Took no shots.  Had one rebound.  One assist.  One turnover. 

He's a non-entity.  Sure he "values the basketball," but he doesn't create anything either.  Do you understand that in a pick-and-roll offense that having a PG that doesn't do anything offensively is pretty much useless?  Why do you think that even when he is in the game, as soon as he brings it across the line he gives it up to Markus?

Look, this is what this team is.  Markus is going to be the PG.  They are going to run him off picks and get him either open or down the lane.  Sand Knit is right that he has to get the ball out of his hand faster on double teams.  And this isn't unique to Markus.  The ball stops too much with a lot of guys. 

Playing Jamal Cain or Joseph Chartouny isn't going to stop that.
Chartouney playing more PG would’ve allowed Markus to play off the ball which would’ve gotten him more open looks. Wojo needed someone to “value the ball”. Clearly the lineup he went with couldn’t
No Finish Line

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2019, 07:26:15 PM »
Chartouney playing more PG would’ve allowed Markus to play off the ball which would’ve gotten him more open looks. Wojo needed someone to “value the ball”. Clearly the lineup he went with couldn’t

How is playing Chartouny at point guard going to magically result in Markus getting open looks?  Does he stop becoming the focus of the defense?  Are defenders going to blitz the pick and roll and double the ball with Chartouny at the point?  No.  Of course not.  This isn't a set offense that runs a bunch of plays for a two-guard.

Markus is more of a scoring threat with the ball in his hands.  He shot over 50% and scored more than half their points.  And despite all that usage, he had 6 of the teams 22 turnovers.  He wasn't the problem today.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2019, 07:27:54 PM »

Do you know why they can't cut down on turnovers?  Because Markus Howard isn't a PG and Joseph Chartouny is over his head.  You run Chartouny at the point and he isn't going to see those same double teams.  You know why?  He isn't a threat.  He's not going to shoot the ball if someone goes under the pick.  He's not going to drive the lane and pick out an open shooter.  Who would leave their guy to double Chartouny?

The ball has to move better.  Stop dribbling into double teams and into traps.  Not just Howard, but Sam, Joey and Sacar did that today.  And everything stalls.

You are 100% correct...it's games like these where they REALLY miss Rowsey.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2019, 07:28:39 PM »

How is playing Chartouny at point guard going to magically result in Markus getting open looks?  Does he stop becoming the focus of the defense?  Are defenders going to blitz the pick and roll and double the ball with Chartouny at the point?  No.  Of course not.

Markus is more of a scoring threat with the ball in his hands.  He shot over 50% and scored more than half their points.  And despite all that usage, he had 6 of the teams 22 turnovers.
It’s much easier to get open looks when the ball isn’t in your hands. JC also probably would’ve taken Joeys minutes which today would have been a good thing. That not only would’ve eliminated many of the TOs but we would’ve matched up defensively as well. To point to his stat line in 10 minutes of play as a basis for not playing him is nonsense
No Finish Line

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2019, 07:29:25 PM »

How is playing Chartouny at point guard going to magically result in Markus getting open looks?  Does he stop becoming the focus of the defense?  Are defenders going to blitz the pick and roll and double the ball with Chartouny at the point?  No.  Of course not.  This isn't a set offense that runs a bunch of plays for a two-guard.

Markus is more of a scoring threat with the ball in his hands.  He shot over 50% and scored more than half their points.  And despite all that usage, he had 6 of the teams 22 turnovers.  He wasn't the problem today.

This.

How 'bout any other Warrior not throwing/dribbling/gacking away the basketball over and over and over again. Obviously, the other 9 Warriors who played touched the ball enough to turn it over 16 times.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2019, 08:19:02 PM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401083241

Box score.   The numbers do tell the story.    Turnovers, 22-13.   Outrebounded.  26 FT's attempted to 12.   (Yes, I know that number is skewed by fouling late)  10-25 shooting for anyone not named Markus.  3 free throws for anyone not named Markus.   Cain and Heldt combined to play 7 minutes without a single stat.   3 Offensive rebounds for MU, 10 for Creighton. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2019, 08:32:11 PM »
Some analysis provide courtesy of the Creighton Board:

Re: At Marquette Game Thread
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:31 pm

Trifecta wrote:
I don't know what to make of Marquette in the tournament. I could see them getting hot from 3 and making a Sweet Sixteen. But I could also see them getting bounced in the first round. The 4 forwards description is not too far off. They really could use another guard. Both of the Hauser brothers are glorified stretch-4s. Theo John is not an offensive threat. Sacar Amin doesn't seem particularly skilled offensively. Howard is literally the only guy that can create.

it's going to come down to matchups for them, I think. They really do have a nice set of players, but if they hit a team that can press them with some long, athletic guards they might struggle (checked and they have 2 losses to SJU this year.. that isn't surprising given what I saw today).

That said, more traditionally configured teams can struggle with them with the forwards who can step out and hit shots.

Got to give Mac and the team a ton of credit today.

and Martin with some love from the Marquette board

"I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge Krampelj made everyone his bitch."
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2019, 08:41:27 PM »
Some analysis provide courtesy of the Creighton Board:

Re: At Marquette Game Thread
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:31 pm

Trifecta wrote:
I don't know what to make of Marquette in the tournament. I could see them getting hot from 3 and making a Sweet Sixteen. But I could also see them getting bounced in the first round. The 4 forwards description is not too far off. They really could use another guard. Both of the Hauser brothers are glorified stretch-4s. Theo John is not an offensive threat. Sacar Amin doesn't seem particularly skilled offensively. Howard is literally the only guy that can create.

it's going to come down to matchups for them, I think. They really do have a nice set of players, but if they hit a team that can press them with some long, athletic guards they might struggle (checked and they have 2 losses to SJU this year.. that isn't surprising given what I saw today).

That said, more traditionally configured teams can struggle with them with the forwards who can step out and hit shots.

Got to give Mac and the team a ton of credit today.

and Martin with some love from the Marquette board

"I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge Krampelj made everyone his bitch."

What part of it is inaccurate?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2019, 08:53:29 PM »
The trials of conference play, everyone gets to see you twice and when you are the top, everyone gunning for you.  Creighton's defense was very good, they did a great job on Markus in terms of denial.  That will be the pattern to play against MU the rest of the year.  Hausers have to knock down a few shots to keep them honest.  Thought Sacar had some opportunities today that he was taking the last few games, but not as much today.

Too timid.  Seton Hall is the game that has had me worried for weeks, I didn't think today would be a loss, but easily could see at Seton Hall.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2019, 08:56:06 PM »
The trials of conference play, everyone gets to see you twice and when you are the top, everyone gunning for you.  Creighton's defense was very good, they did a great job on Markus in terms of denial.  That will be the pattern to play against MU the rest of the year.  Hausers have to knock down a few shots to keep them honest.  Thought Sacar had some opportunities today that he was taking the last few games, but not as much today.

Too timid.  Seton Hall is the game that has had me worried for weeks, I didn't think today would be a loss, but easily could see at Seton Hall.
Yeah, I’ve had that SHU game circled for a long time.  Hopefully our road Warriors will come to the fore.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2019, 08:56:14 PM »
It’s much easier to get open looks when the ball isn’t in your hands. JC also probably would’ve taken Joeys minutes which today would have been a good thing. That not only would’ve eliminated many of the TOs but we would’ve matched up defensively as well. To point to his stat line in 10 minutes of play as a basis for not playing him is nonsense

I used to think this way earlier in the season, but I really don’t think this is accurate anymore- I have been very surprised with how much wojo has played chartouney and Markus together in the last few games.

It seems to me that Markus has a much easier time creating his shot and getting a good one when the ball is in his hands more than when it isn’t. We’ve seen that all season. When he runs around off the ball trying to get an open look two things have happened for the most part
1- we typically waste a majority of the clock first
2- he usually doesn’t get a catch and shoot (like he did a lot last yr w Rowsey handling it) and instead he tries to create with much less time under more pressure in a part of the court w more congestion

It seems obvious that this team is much better w the ball in Markus hands. The team is much better w Markus having some space w ball in his hand. This means either more screens to get Markus loose or Markus picking up the extra defender and getting it out quicker.
Perhaps going inside a bit more to collapse the defense and keep their bigs honest so they can’t keep doubling him beyond the 3p line and he has more room on the perimeter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2019, 09:02:04 PM »
I used to think this way earlier in the season, but I really don’t think this is accurate anymore- I have been very surprised with how much wojo has played chartouney and Markus together in the last few games.

It seems to me that Markus has a much easier time creating his shot and getting a good one when the ball is in his hands more than when it isn’t. We’ve seen that all season. When he runs around off the ball trying to get an open look two things have happened for the most part
1- we typically waste a majority of the clock first
2- he usually doesn’t get a catch and shoot (like he did a lot last yr w Rowsey handling it) and instead he tries to create with much less time under more pressure in a part of the court w more congestion

It seems obvious that this team is much better w the ball in Markus hands. The team is much better w Markus having some space w ball in his hand. This means either more screens to get Markus loose or Markus picking up the extra defender and getting it out quicker.
Perhaps going inside a bit more to collapse the defense and keep their bigs honest so they can’t keep doubling him beyond the 3p line and he has more room on the perimeter

Yeah exactly.  And the bolded is what I see is the biggest problem.  Teams are throwing a ton of length at Markus.  And Creighton especially just absolutely blitzed the pick and roll, forcing Markus to either split the double or pass.  And this is where his height is a problem.  So everything stops.  The motion goes away. 

When Marquette's offense is humming, the ball is really moving.  Today it wasn't.  Creighton got everything clogged up. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2019, 09:11:11 PM »
Worried about Wojo. I know we don't see or hear everything in the "in the huddle" segments, but McDermott was communicating with his players, do this, do that. Wojo was telling them (twice, of course) how much time was left (as if they couldn't read the clock). Wouldn't you think that somewhere in the course of 40 minutes there would have been some sort of answer to "What happens when they double Markus?" I know I deal with losses as well as Guru, but Jesus, it does seem to me that there were coaching opportunities today that just didn't happen.

I've been a supporter of his, like what he has been doing for the program, but do not see anything positive happening in the X's and O's, in-game adjustments. It was clearly obvious what McDermott's strategy vis a vis Markus was, yet nothing changed. He got his ass out-coached today.

One bad day a worrier shouldn’t make, but hopefully a warrior will make.

Listen, how many games has this squad looked to be in big trouble only to come back strong and pull away later in the game, making it seem like a no doubter?

I get it, you say the slow starts early and then again in the second half are on the coach. From a glass half full mind I see a coach that has had a much more laissez-faire attitude towards his guys this yr than he has in the past, and that has helped them stay calm and composed and use their skill to pull away late. This has been one of wojos biggest improvements this yr imo.

He did it again today telling them to forget everything that happened earlier in the game and play for the last 7,30. He was extremely calm late in the game, this is a huge difference from the past. Sam came out and hit a huge 3 right away and it looked like it would work again, but it just didn’t work today. It won’t always work, because you know, all Marquette’s reach equilibrium.

I would’ve liked to see more Ed and some Jamal today w Joey and Sam not at their best, and I agree w another poster that said this was one of his worst games substitution and adjustment wise- feed Sam and Joey in the post to try to get them going, feed Sam or Theo in the post, more screens etc
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:20:51 PM by DoctorV »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2019, 09:17:13 PM »
One bad day a worrier shouldn’t make, but hopefully a warrior will make.

Listen, how many games has this squad looked to be in big trouble only to come back strong and pull away later in the game, making it seem like a no doubter?

I get it, you say the slow starts early and then again in the second half are on the coach. From a glass half full mind I see a coach that has had a much more laissez-faire attitude towards his guys this yr than he has in the past, and that has helped them stay calm and composed and use their skill to pull away less. This has been one of wojos biggest improvements this yr imo.

He did it again today telling them to forget everything that happened earlier in the game and play for the last 7,30. He was extremely calm late in the game, this is a huge difference from the past. Sam came out and hit a huge 3 right away and it looked like it would work again, but it just didn’t work today. It won’t always work, because you know, all Marquette’s reach equilibrium.

I would’ve liked to see more Ed and some Jamal today w Joey and Sam not at their best, and I agree w another poster that said this was one of his worst games substitution and adjustment wise- feed Sam and Joey in the post to try to get them going, feed Sam or Theo in the post, more screens etc

You answered it yourself, we only see small parts of the timeouts so why are you asking the question when you answered it for everyone?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2019, 09:18:38 PM »

Yeah exactly.  And the bolded is what I see is the biggest problem.  Teams are throwing a ton of length at Markus.  And Creighton especially just absolutely blitzed the pick and roll, forcing Markus to either split the double or pass.  And this is where his height is a problem.  So everything stops.  The motion goes away. 

When Marquette's offense is humming, the ball is really moving.  Today it wasn't.  Creighton got everything clogged up.

Unfortunately I think that Markus lack of height makes it extremely hard for him to first off see where to make the quick pass and then to execute it in a split second. He’s had a scorers mentality his entire life so his in traffic passing skills are not that precise yet

Gives him a skill to stick around Marquette and get better at for one more season while he breaks every scoring record, wins POY and wins a ship

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2019, 09:27:13 PM »
Unfortunately I think that Markus lack of height makes it extremely hard for him to first off see where to make the quick pass and then to execute it in a split second. He’s had a scorers mentality his entire life so his in traffic passing skills are not that precise yet

Gives him a skill to stick around Marquette and get better at for one more season
while he breaks every scoring record, wins POY and wins a ship
You have cited the most important reason for Markus to stick around another year. If he can both hone those passing skills and have them become second nature, his future prospects will increase in a material way.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2019, 01:18:39 AM »
Pure speculation here but.you wonder if some of these guys just went "oh its Creighton and it's at 2pm at home" and so.they just went out and got crap faced the night before and were sluggish because of it

jimmybutlerfanatic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2019, 02:01:00 AM »
This team got their revenge on the Hauser family for the questionable shot last time.

We should've lost to this team 2x.

Much better we get a lower seed, I'd personally like to see us at 7 -- 10.

Less disappointing when we lose to higher seed. Much more exciting and better story line in March when you beat higher seeds.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2019, 05:09:40 AM »
Pure speculation here but.you wonder if some of these guys just went "oh its Creighton and it's at 2pm at home" and so.they just went out and got crap faced the night before and were sluggish because of it

This is so moronic

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2019, 06:37:44 AM »
Yeah, I’ve had that SHU game circled for a long time.  Hopefully our road Warriors will come to the fore.

I'll be at the game!

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2019, 07:03:21 AM »

You saw it, easy fix.  Play like its a press because it is.  Markus needs a wing man and then find the open man.  Wala.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2019, 07:19:06 AM »
This team got their revenge on the Hauser family for the questionable shot last time.

We should've lost to this team 2x.

Less disappointing when we lose to higher seed. Much more exciting and better story line in March when you beat higher seeds.

Hahah. It amazes me that people that think like this, and the getting crapfaced the night before, still exist

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2019, 07:21:56 AM »

People only love an underdog when they win.  They have a better chance at a Sweet 16 or further with a higher seed.  Wouldn't you rather have that outcome?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2019, 07:27:56 AM »
We have gone away from the pick and pop with Sam and Markus, and I’m not sure if it’s a defensive adjustment or an issue with Markus not giving the ball up. That used to be a great play to get Sam open.

Teams double Markus off the screen and he puts his head down and dribbles away from the screen. Is it height that isn’t allowing him to make that pass? Or is he trying too much to find his shot on that play?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2019, 07:42:57 AM »
We have gone away from the pick and pop with Sam and Markus, and I’m not sure if it’s a defensive adjustment or an issue with Markus not giving the ball up. That used to be a great play to get Sam open.

Teams double Markus off the screen and he puts his head down and dribbles away from the screen. Is it height that isn’t allowing him to make that pass? Or is he trying too much to find his shot on that play?
This is why he needed to play off the ball more yesterday which gets back to my point that JC needed more minutes. In no way am I saying JC is the answer to our problems, or playing him more in every matchup is appropriate, but yesterday I think it would have been the right move
No Finish Line