collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Le'Veon to GB; do we have a shot and/or take it??  (Read 1764 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Le'Veon to GB; do we have a shot and/or take it??
« on: February 26, 2019, 05:47:20 AM »
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26046817/picking-best-free-agent-offers-leveon-bell-one-take

i realize we already have an NFL thread, but this one has gotta stand alone because of it's ramifications-

first off, with the exception of being in an income tax paying state, GB's offer ranks right up there with the big dogs

does le'veon want to make all that he can or win?  it appears that texas could offer him both with GB maybe a tick lower b/c of state income taxes and if we play any of our games in income tax-free states. 

-we could always offer the difference too
   -do other teams give him the same chance to win it all as GB?  playing with rodgers could be a career maker

question-are the odds makers already factoring in the "what-if" scenarios with certain teams who seem to be more apt to making the signing of the big L reality?

i haven't compared the odds of GB winning the division, championship and the super bowl from end of 2018/19 season to present, but it might be a hedge worthy of checking out

with the exception of playing in a small town, if a player could think of it as a business/career decision knowing he ain't gonna be making GB his permanent home, should be looked at as a temporary stop.  not uncommon with other careers

does he bring the locker room attitude GB can tolerate after shunning pittsburgh for a season?

i don't really have an opinion yet.  my knee-jerk reaction was, he's out of our league, but espn doesn't seem to think so. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Le'Veon to GB; do we have a shot and/or take it??
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 06:34:37 AM »
Bell would be fine in GB but if we've learned anything in the modern salary cap era....running backs are dime a dozen and you definitely don't tie up major cap space on an aging veteran
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 08:19:43 AM »
I would rather trade for Antonio Brown than sign a running back who would be sitting behind Aaron Jones.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 08:20:47 AM »
I would rather trade for Antonio Brown than sign a running back who would be sitting behind Aaron Jones.

Come on man.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 11:41:33 AM »
I would rather spend that money on my O-Line.  A good O-Line will open up the holes for younger, cheaper running backs that are pretty plentiful.  And they'll protect our #1 asset, the QB.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 12:42:26 PM »
steelers went from 13-3 to 9-6-1.

yes an offensive line is not only important to free up any running game, but also to protect a $20 some million dollar QB. 

could le'veon be the last piece to get rodgers and the packers the super bowls they should while rodgers is still able to take in solids?

no disrespect to aaron jones, i like him.  maybe new coach can get le'veon type numbers out of him, excellent!  but ya won't know until ya know and time is very important right now

Goose

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 04:16:54 PM »
rocket
Great question. As a diehard Packer fan, I truthfully am good either way. A very important offseason for the boys IMO.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 05:11:41 PM »
I would rather spend that money on my O-Line.  A good O-Line will open up the holes for younger, cheaper running backs that are pretty plentiful.  And they'll protect our #1 asset, the QB.

Agree! The O-Line should be the highest paid position IMHO, but we know why it's not.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 05:12:53 PM »
Are the Packers really one "piece" away from a Super Bowl?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 07:03:24 PM »
Are the Packers really one "piece" away from a Super Bowl?

ya got me there lenny-maybe a couple of years ago they were "a piece" away.  i should have put it in better perspective-another big play player away.  matthews is about done, their o-line is broken, cobb may not be re-signed, etc.  so they are a few pieces away.  hopefully gutekunst et.al. can put something together so as not to waste another year of rodgers football life

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 07:50:32 PM »
Please God no. They are not one piece away and that piece, if we were, is not a running back. What they really need is to restock the WR position and try to figure out how to continue patchworking the defense at Safety and OLB. Resign Wilkerson for the DL.

If they're going to make a big splash, go for OBJ.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 11:30:18 PM »

100% this. The game is won on the OL and DL, in that order. An elite OL makes an average QB look like an MVP, or an MVP QB look like the GOAT.