collapse

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[Today at 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Iowa's Gary Dolphin Suspended For Rest Of The Year  (Read 22792 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Iowa's Gary Dolphin Suspended For Rest Of The Year
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2019, 08:02:16 AM »
No problem as long as they're acknowledged as such. Making up stuff and saying it's fact because if it were it would drive home a good point? Not a fan.

In this conversation, no one presented the story as fact. I acknowledged that I didn't know if the story was true or not. I have no idea if the professor presented it as fact or a parable because it happened 10 years ago. But you are right Lenny, if the professor presented it as fact, that would be bad.

I don't know. If there are true stories that bear out his point I suppose I do. But when it comes to economics I'm leery of guys who make up stories and tell them as facts to make a point.

We are not talking about economics here. We are talking about whether or not a radio announcer should be suspended for unintentionally making an offensive comment. I say we are accountable for our actions if we didn't intend to cause harm. I gave the parable of the Chevy Nova and I also gave a true story of being accountable for a car accident even if we didn't intend to cause the accident as ways to illustrate this point. What about you? What do you think of Mr. Dolphin's situation?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2019, 08:05:09 AM »
Is this racist?

To some yes. To others no. Reasonable people will disagree.
TAMU

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2019, 08:28:29 AM »
To some yes. To others no. Reasonable people will disagree.

Respectfully, TAMU, I think your response illustrates my belief that some confuse "racist" with "offensive."  In my opinion, it either is racist or it is not.  I don't think racism gets to be in the eye of the beholder.  On the other hand, it absolutely is offensive to some, but not to others.  Reasonable people will disagree.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2019, 08:30:20 AM »
Ever the victim.

Pointing out the hypocrisy doesn’t make one a victim.  Reasonable question that people cannot seem to answer, so their responses become “ever the victim”, or worse...racist / genderist / ageist comments tied to the race, gender, age of the person making the comments....the irony and hypocrisy so thick and totally disregarded by those that make the comments.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 08:35:15 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2019, 08:31:25 AM »
Walk around your neighborhood in Chicago, let us know how it goes.  Because I am sure you are right, you clearly know what is and isn't racist much better than black people do.

What if he walks around at 2:00am in Chicago on his way to a Subway restaurant.....
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2019, 08:34:03 AM »
No one disputes this. But just because that's what he meant, doesn't mean it was appropriate for the reasons stated earlier.

No one speaks for their race.

The same is true for gender, too....right?  So ridiculous comments like #believeALLwomen should never be embraced, it’s a bumper sticker saying but somehow became more than that.....ALL....literally ALL.....just want to make sure there is consistency here because as I have pointed out how little there is (and labeled a victim for pointing it out)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2019, 08:34:47 AM »
Respectfully, TAMU, I think your response illustrates my belief that some confuse "racist" with "offensive."  In my opinion, it either is racist or it is not.  I don't think racism gets to be in the eye of the beholder.  On the other hand, it absolutely is offensive to some, but not to others.  Reasonable people will disagree.

My God, a rational response and common sense!!!! 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2019, 08:42:04 AM »
The same is true for gender, too....right?  So ridiculous comments like #believeALLwomen should never be embraced, it’s a bumper sticker saying but somehow became more than that.....ALL....literally ALL.....just want to make sure there is consistency here because as I have pointed out how little there is (and labeled a victim for pointing it out)

Of course. The problem is you seem to be the type of guy who always points out the minority of cases where discrimination/harrassment is shown to be made up instead of being concerned about the majority of cases where it is a serious problem. That is why people label you a victim.

What if he walks around at 2:00am in Chicago on his way to a Subway restaurant.....

Case in point...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2019, 08:50:12 AM »
This whole thread is driving some people ApeSh!t  it appears. 

Someone somewhere will always be offended by something.  Today more than ever.  Some things rise to the level of near universal offensive nature, while others do not....but all too often now we treat them equal in nature.  Sorry, I disagree....reasonable people can do that.

Good day

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2019, 09:02:02 AM »

To me, racist is just a specific type of offensive. All racist things are offensive, but not all offensive things are racist.

I don't think you can make racism into a binary. It is a spectrum. Some things are more (or less) racist than others. Otherwise who gets to decide what is racist? Because I think I am a reasonable person. I also think my grandfather was a reasonable person. We would have very different opinions on what was and wasn't racist.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2019, 09:07:35 AM »
My God, a rational response and common sense!!!!

Cheeks, I think I have tried to give a reasonable and common sense argument without flaming or insulting anyone.  I believe that we should be accountable for our actions even if we did not intend to harm anyone with our actions. I have given the Chevy Nova parable and the fact that we hold someone accountable for a car accident even if they didn't intend to cause the accident to illustrate my point. I have asked for your thoughts a couple of times. Do you agree that we are accountable for our actions regardless of intent? Disagree? See it differently?
TAMU

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2019, 09:19:15 AM »
Pointing out the hypocrisy doesn’t make one a victim.  Reasonable question that people cannot seem to answer, so their responses become “ever the victim”, or worse...racist / genderist / ageist comments tied to the race, gender, age of the person making the comments....the irony and hypocrisy so thick and totally disregarded by those that make the comments.
Still playing the victim.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2019, 09:23:40 AM »
Comparing a black man to a monkey? I think most would agree that falls on the spectrum of racism. Now that doesn't make Dolphin a racist, just a person who said something racist. Everyone has said, done, or thought racist things at some point in their life. Unfortunately for Dolphin, he made a mistake in a very public way.

In my view, he compared him to a powerful, mythological creature that has never existed.  He would have been better off saying Godzilla or the Jolly Green Giant.

I'm old, and white, but that is my opinion.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2019, 09:26:34 AM »
Of course. The problem is you seem to be the type of guy who always points out the minority of cases where discrimination/harrassment is shown to be made up instead of being concerned about the majority of cases where it is a serious problem. That is why people label you a victim.

Case in point...

Jussie Smullet is the new 'Duke Lacrosse,' i.e. the rare false allegation used by some as an excuse to dismiss all allegations.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2019, 09:41:14 AM »
Jussie Smullet is the new 'Duke Lacrosse,' i.e. the rare false allegation used by some as an excuse to dismiss all allegations.

Duke LAX wasn't even a false allegation. It could have been but we don't know. Duke LAX was an example of gross negligence and misconduct by a prosecutor.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2019, 09:43:39 AM »
In my view, he compared him to a powerful, mythological creature that has never existed.  He would have been better off saying Godzilla or the Jolly Green Giant.

I'm old, and white, but that is my opinion.

I think that is a reasonable interpretation. I think it is also a reasonable interpretation that he compared him to the world's most famous gorilla.
TAMU

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2019, 09:58:27 AM »
Duke LAX wasn't even a false allegation. It could have been but we don't know. Duke LAX was an example of gross negligence and misconduct by a prosecutor.

I suggest you watch this ESPN 30 for 30 if you haven't. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vogue.com/article/fantastic-lies-espn-30-for-30-duke-lacrosse-case/amp
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:01:30 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2019, 10:13:51 AM »
I suggest you watch this ESPN 30 for 30 if you haven't. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vogue.com/article/fantastic-lies-espn-30-for-30-duke-lacrosse-case/amp

I have. Mike Nifong is a terrible person who was justly disbarred, lost his job, and went to prison (for a day). That doesn't mean that something terrible didn't happen at that house.
TAMU

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2019, 10:24:33 AM »
I have. Mike Nifong is a terrible person who was justly disbarred, lost his job, and went to prison (for a day). That doesn't mean that something terrible didn't happen at that house.

What is your definition of "terrible"? If your comment is about a crime then you didn't watch very well then. Not one piece of evidence or testimony supported the crime as it was charged and the accuser recanted her testimony.

Is it a sad story? Yes, all the way around.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2019, 10:30:54 AM »
What is your definition of "terrible"? If your comment is about a crime then you didn't watch very well then. Not one piece of evidence or testimony supported the crime as it was charged and the accuser recanted her testimony.

Is it a sad story? Yes, all the way around.

Mike Nifong was the prosecutor. He was the terrible person.
TAMU

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2019, 10:47:22 AM »

From Africa.

Who was put in chains and taken to America.

Who was obsessed with a white women 

Who was considered a beast.

Have I missed any stereotypes here that the movie presented.

Oh..... who was captured and put in chains by white men to make them rich.

To Keefe, though, that is showing Kong as a majestic hero.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:49:28 AM by Jockey »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2019, 10:57:11 AM »
From Africa.

Skull Island is supposed to be off the coast of Indonesia, which makes it part of Asia or Oceania, depending on your preference.  So maybe Yao Ming or Harry Froling should be offended by being called King Kong?

The point is well considered that even if the comment was innocent, Dolphin should know better.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2019, 11:01:16 AM »
Skull Island is supposed to be off the coast of Indonesia, which makes it part of Asia or Oceania, depending on your preference.  So maybe Yao Ming or Harry Froling should be offended by being called King Kong?

The point is well considered that even if the comment was innocent, Dolphin should know better.

Thank you for the correction.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2019, 01:51:31 PM »

Case in point...

Because people’s lives were ruined.  FakeHoaxCrines has a long list already.  And with media going to town on these things, you damn well right I will point them out.  We have the media and half of society wanting outcomes to justify their thought processes, when they turn out to be hoaxes or untrue, you damn well right I will and of the media had an ounce of accountability they would report the same way the fraud as they do the work up to conviction that they pass to the American people.

There are actually people that want to let the actor off with a warning, this is how much DS is going on these days.

I’m sorry, but for the same reason I say go after the big fish who cheat taxpayers, go after small ones too.  Same for people that are truly communizing crimes, I would say those that pull these hoaxes should get double punishment because of what it does to legit cases. 

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2019, 02:26:55 PM »
To me, racist is just a specific type of offensive. All racist things are offensive, but not all offensive things are racist.

I don't think you can make racism into a binary. It is a spectrum. Some things are more (or less) racist than others. Otherwise who gets to decide what is racist? Because I think I am a reasonable person. I also think my grandfather was a reasonable person. We would have very different opinions on what was and wasn't racist.

+1

I (sincerely) have found this thread enlightening.  So how is this ...

King Kong is offensive to many.  And, as a professional communicator (a good Pakuni term), Dolphin should have known it could be offensive to many and avoided it.

But to punish him as a racist is too much.  His intent was not to be racist.  He should be called out and embarrassed for being a poor communicator (his job!) but not banned like the local president of the KKK.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.