[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What was the biggest game of the year so far?

(N) Louisville
(H) K-State
(H) Wisconsin
(H) Buffalo
(A) Creighton
(H-NMD) Villanova
(Wades) Our next game
One of the losses

Author Topic: What was the biggest game of the year so far?  (Read 2983 times)

LoudMouth

• All American
What was the biggest game of the year so far?
« on: February 22, 2019, 11:25:59 AM »
Which game stands out as the most important? Net purposes? Momentum? Proving to ourselves we can win?

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: What was the biggest game of the year so far?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 11:28:30 AM »
"Ville.  Up to that point our two marquee games were a extremely disappointing loss to a team that it turn out isn't great, and a game that had possibly the worst 10 minute stretch in the Wojo era.  Went on to win our remaining 3 big non-con games and haven't really looked back since.

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 11:30:08 AM »
Kansas. There was no point in watching anymore after that debacle. I assume they have been trash since, yes?
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 11:30:27 AM »
At Providence.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 11:32:01 AM »
"Ville.  Up to that point our two marquee games were a extremely disappointing loss to a team that it turn out isn't great, and a game that had possibly the worst 10 minute stretch in the Wojo era.  Went on to win our remaining 3 big non-con games and haven't really looked back since.

Yeah, I think this is spot on. At a point where the team was still searching for an identity, they made a big statement to define who they would be the rest of the year. The win was great to have, but the competitive energy they brought to that game was even bigger, in my opinion. That game really seemed like a turning point.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 11:35:51 AM »
I said K-State. It was the first ranked win and big for the psyche. It helped both the fans and team realize the home court advantage we have, started the Curse of 12, and was the first cheat code game for Markus. It also propelled us into the national spotlight. Easy to overlook because it was relatively comfortable, but it also showed how we could win in different ways.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 11:38:21 AM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 11:53:05 AM »
Voted UW for the emotion aspect but honestly it's probably vile just because that was getting over the hump of beating marquee teams
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 12:02:05 PM »

I agree. Up until that game we were just beating up on buy games and not looking great against high majors. While, at the time we didn’t realize how good Louisville was, it was big to get a win against a high major.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 12:04:07 PM »
I also went with Louisville. Starting 0-3 in the meaningful non-conference games would have been a huge hole to climb out of. Also is our best win on the season so far resume-wise.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 12:05:18 PM »
I voted Nova because of the race for the conference title and the big-gameness of it, but after further review, I think Kansas was the biggest game.  Had MU won against Kansas, we'd (I use "we" because We Are Marquette) be 23-3 and would've gotten to the Top 10 far sooner, and probably safely in the 2-seed now.  So I want to change my vote to the Kansas game.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 12:17:56 PM »
Its Creighton and its not even close. We were 0-2 on the road with losses (ass kickings) against @ I4 and @ St. Johns. Down by double digits late in the second half and barring the miracle shot by Sam and heroics by Howard they would have been 0-3 and no confidence at all on the road. Then they go to Georgetown without Howard for their next road game.

I fully believe that was the turning point in the season.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 12:30:50 PM »
Kansas. There was no point in watching anymore after that debacle. I assume they have been trash since, yes?

Now that was funny.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 12:49:53 PM »
At Providence.
Wrong! Shoot around before Providence game. Stop looking too far ahead
No Finish Line

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 12:56:11 PM »
At Georgetown. IMO, team seemed to turn a corner there and started believing in themselves as more than just The Markus Howard Show.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 12:59:47 PM »
Its Creighton and its not even close. We were 0-2 on the road with losses (ass kickings) against @ I4 and @ St. Johns. Down by double digits late in the second half and barring the miracle shot by Sam and heroics by Howard they would have been 0-3 and no confidence at all on the road. Then they go to Georgetown without Howard for their next road game.

I agree with this. Also it represents the fairy dust element to our season..we've won a couple of close games that "coulda woulda shoulda" gone to our opponents (st.Johns at home exception)...Creighton game "out-of-this-world" ending tops them all. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 01:13:20 PM »
I selected "Next game", but the real answer is Indiana.

We were a different team after that.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 01:24:04 PM »

Yes, this one.  I think the players and staff felt this was an impossible moment that might propel us in upcoming games.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 01:27:44 PM »
At Georgetown. IMO, team seemed to turn a corner there and started believing in themselves as more than just The Markus Howard Show.

With you on this one as well.  I thought this was the most impactful to the team in terms of confidence.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 02:20:43 PM »

Yep, oh-fer since, dammit!

I said Louisville before we even played that game, so I'm stickin' with it.

Although HowardsWorld says I have to choose Creighton, and nothing else is close, so there's that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 02:30:06 PM »

My choice too, and for the same reason. That win totally changed the team's confidence, and proved to them that they can do things that might seem impossible.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 03:46:06 PM »
Creighton and Georgetown for all of the reasons stated thus far. 

Before I read the thread, I was going to say Georgetown, but, final answer:  Creighton.

But I am in Wades' corner on the primacy of the next game, always.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 03:51:41 PM »
Voted Louisville but I think Creighton and Georgetown were almost equally important.

Louisville - beat a quality team despite not hitting our groove. Didn't play all that well, turned the season around before UW, KSU, Buffalo. Got our first positive result against a good team.

Creighton - Impossible win. Start of a winning streak.

Georgetown - Showed the guys we could win in different ways. Our identity had truly changed.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 03:55:17 PM »
Indiana

Needed the ass whooping
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 03:56:53 PM »
Mark me down as another Georgetown vote.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2019, 04:16:56 PM »
Indiana

Needed the ass whooping

What he said.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 04:55:50 PM »

Creighton showed the team had no quit. They overcame a great shooting team and finished in an almost unbelievable way.  It was definitely Creighton!