[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Trap Game Tomorrow  (Read 9218 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Trap Game Tomorrow
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 04:18:04 PM »
Marquette is favored by 4.  Providence has the best defense in the Big East per KenPom.  They just whooped Saint John's by 19 points at home.  It's not like we are playing a nobody here.

It's first vs. last in the conference with 2nd coming up as your next game.  It's the definition of a trap game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2019, 04:24:49 PM »
They are two games out of third place.  They are only in last because teams 3-10 are all bunched together.

A trap game is when you play a crappy opponent (usually at home) before a big game. Providence is not a crappy opponent.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 04:29:29 PM »
They are two games out of third place.  They are only in last because teams 3-10 are all bunched together.

A trap game is when you play a crappy opponent (usually at home) before a big game. Providence is not a crappy opponent.

A trap game is a game you should win (like we should win at Providence) but can definitely lose by overlooking your opponent (like we could tomorrow at Providence with at Nova coming up next on the schedule).

And I guess we'd define "crappy opponent" differently.  When you're in 1st place in a major conference and you're playing the last place team in the last month of the season (so it's not like one team is 4-1 and the other is 2-3 early on) you're playing a "crappy opponent."  They don't get much more crappy than Providence in the BE this year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2019, 04:35:41 PM »
I just have trouble calling the best defense in the conference a crappy team.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2019, 06:47:23 PM »
I consider Cooley & Company one of our most important rivals. The games are always hard fought.

AJ Reeves is back for this game for Providence. He was injured the first time around.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2019, 06:53:52 PM »
PC is 89 on Pomeroy and are at home. We had trouble with them at home ......they just killed a team that beat us twice.

They aren't a crappy team and they are more then capable of beating us even if we are ready to play.

All it takes is an off shooting night.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2019, 07:26:05 PM »

They might not be crappy, but they aren't very good...Yes, they rolled SJU at home, but this was also a team that got rolled AT HOME by Xavier the game  before SJU.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2019, 07:37:58 PM »
PC is 89 on Pomeroy and are at home. We had trouble with them at home ......they just killed a team that beat us twice.

They aren't a crappy team and they are more then capable of beating us even if we are ready to play.

All it takes is an off shooting night.

If you're a top 10 team trying to make a run at a BE title you beat the 89th ranked KenPom team no matter where the game is.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2019, 08:47:21 PM »
If you're a top 10 team trying to make a run at a BE title you beat the 89th ranked KenPom team no matter where the game is.

+1000....this is a game MU should, and is SUPPOSED to win...regardless of what anyone thinks, that is just the facts. It would be incredibly maddening and disappointing if MU lost this game.

I mean..you can look at all the #'s you want and there isn't a single one that says PC COULD win this game. Yes, they could..anything can happen, but the odds are against it...I mean PC can't shoot, and they can't score, and I don't care how good you are defensively, if you can't shoot, it's really tough to win games.

They are dead last in the BE in scoring offense at 71.5

8th in FT % at .690
10th in FG% at .420
7th in rebounding 35.4
9th in D reb % at .710

I just don't see it...this isn't a game where if MU doesn't play their best they have no shot of winning..this is a game where MU could play average and STILL likely win the game.

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2019, 09:07:14 PM »
That was a trap game today.  Y'all worried about Providence tomorrow and we go and slip up to Butler the night before. SMH

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2019, 09:19:18 PM »
The problem is limiting the turnovers is easier said than done.
The live ball turnovers and tipped passes on the offensive end are mind boggling.
I thought Providence played really tough defense against us and we had only 6 turnovers. The next game we had 19 turnovers against DePaul who just seem to lay back on defense and let us throw the ball away. The DePaul game was mind boggling to me.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2019, 10:12:38 PM »
Best part wuz da mf'er called time out while goin' on da court, hey?

Doc,

While I agree that is priceless the best part of the sequence is when Fulce is cleaning eyeball meat out of his fingernails!

Watch from the 2:20 mark in the ESPN clip and you'll see Jumpin' Joe getting Xavier corneal matter out of his nails...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqVGMLBOqnY

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2019, 01:05:47 AM »
The brother coming in the court was crazy. Thought a full out brawl was about to happen. Thankfully security got to him and none of the players got involved. One of the crazier MU game memories.

Love the poster who has him as his scoopname pic.

Funny quote from jerel:
"I just saw him come out onto the floor," he said. "And I thought about it and I was like, 'Man, I don't think he's supposed to be out here.'"

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=290172507

That was a nice ball club. Butler as the 7th man. Can you imagine if Theo was on that team. Can you imagine if Morrow was on that team?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2019, 02:32:02 AM »
Near toss-up game, hope we can pull it out. If not, not the end of the world. Depends on what we see.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2019, 08:03:29 AM »
Near toss-up game, hope we can pull it out. If not, not the end of the world. Depends on what we see.

This is how I feel. Would be thrilled with a win today but not going to let a loss ruin my weekend. Important game though as they’d have the chance to move up in the rankings and also avoid a possible 2 game losing streak on Wednesday.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2019, 08:22:37 AM »
This is how I feel. Would be thrilled with a win today but not going to let a loss ruin my weekend. Important game though as they’d have the chance to move up in the rankings and also avoid a possible 2 game losing streak on Wednesday.

All of the above.

Big game. We're the better team, but it's always tough to win on the road, which is why we're only 3-point favorites.

Mrs. 82 and I are getting together with a few fellow alums to watch the game at a sports bar, and we hope to leave the establishment happy. And hopefully that happiness will be because of the score of the game, and not only because of the number of beverages in our bellies.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2019, 08:29:02 AM »
The word “overlooked” is often used when discussing trap games.
If MU were to lose this game today, how would one know if MU “overlooked” PC? Strictly because of the loss?
Are there exit interviews?
Do the players tell the media that all they were thinking about was Nova?
Seems very convenient.
Also, if MU wins today, if heard that they “avoided a potential trap game.”
Odd to me.
MU loss—-overlooked PC, classic trap game.
MU win—-avoided a potential trap game.
Talk about shifting goalposts.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 08:32:41 AM by We R Final Four »

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2019, 08:31:17 AM »
Will the stupid floor be slippery again? I just checked and the providence bruins (hockey) played a home game last night. That would really piss me off. That game was so cheap and tainted that one year. Providence “traveled” (fell down) about 6 times and the refs gave them the ball back each time en route to a 15 point second half comeback.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 08:36:38 AM by AirPunch »

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2019, 11:05:00 AM »
One of the Fox analysts just called it a trap game so it must be. Close the thread.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2019, 11:16:19 AM »
One of the Fox analysts just called it a trap game so it must be. Close the thread.

It’s literally the definition of it. Very obvious. First place team vs. last place team in the conference with the 2nd place team on deck for the first place team. Definition of a trap game.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2019, 11:26:49 AM »
That would be Donny Marshall.  ;)
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2019, 01:14:16 PM »
Turned into a trap shooting contest.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2019, 01:20:02 PM »
Turned into a trap shooting contest.

Fact. Locked in.

blikemike2

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2019, 01:45:33 PM »
When are people on this board going to start believing in this team?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2019, 01:47:54 PM »
So, I just heard it again.
“Marquette just avoided a potential trap game with that win.”
It was a trap game....by definition.
It’s strange how the definition of a trap game changes from pregame to postgame.
It. Was. A. Trap game.
Because we won, does that now mean that it never was a trap game? Odd how that changes.
Because we won is awesome, but point still stands that it was trap game.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 01:59:57 PM by We R Final Four »

feedback