[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Marquette 2-Seed Rooting Guide  (Read 9586 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Marquette 2-Seed Rooting Guide
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 12:13:56 PM »
One positive then to not being a 2 seed is the likelihood of being the strongest 3 seed which means we would avoid Duke,Kentucky,North Carolina, Gonzaga, virginia and michigan state. If we are are a 3 i would hope that the 2 would be Tennesee, Houston or Michigan. Since everyone is so close this year the difference between a 2 an 3 may be minimal

Agreed, best case scenario to me would be getting the top 3 seed or bottom 2 seed with Houston (or Michigan) in the opposite slot as the likely S16 opponent, and Gonzaga as the 1

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 12:34:28 PM »
Villanova is really all that stands in our way. I fully believe we win the 3 after so we could be entering the BET at 27-4 or 26-5 with a loss to nova. From there if we win the tournament at 29-5 or 30-4 either way they will get a 2 seed. No team in the history of the Big East that won the tournament and conference has ever been given less than a 2 seed.  Keep in mind all the teams ahead of us unless they win there tournament will lose another game and that includes michigan, michigan st and purdue all of which are around our seed. Tennessee is going to falter a few more times as well.

I tend to agree that in this scenario there is no way MU is off the 2 line. Besides the solid overall record at 30-4 or 29-5, Marquette would’ve won both regular season and conference ships, and in past yrs the committee has really valued that.

In this case MU would also have over 10 Q1 wins and would be in the top 3-4 in this category I believe, adding to the strong resume. This is more the profile of a 1 seed than a 2 seed tbh, so MU would be solidly on the two line (likely one of the top 2 two seeds) w an outside shot at the final 1 seed depending on what others do.

I understand that the BE is weaker than in the past at the top, but it’s also very balanced with most/all teams around the top 100 and many of them in top 75. Let’s say Zags (who might currently be overall 1 seed at the moment) don’t win conf tourney and finish 30-3 and Marquette wins out and finishes 30-4 with a ton more Q1 wins and a sweep of both reg season and conf tournaments in a substantially better conference, why wouldn’t MUs resume be better? You could play this game with a lot of the current 1-2 seed line teams, esp since many of them will have added additional loss(es).

Now the hard part that would get the eyerolls- I know I may be in the minority here but in the above scenario with Marquette sweeping reg and conf tourney titles and getting a 2 seed, a potential loss in the 2v7 or 2v10 game pre sweet 16 would still make this year a complete success imo.

I know it’s horrible to even think about, I know it would suck arse, but I also know the NCAA tournament is amazing and crape happens. That nightmarish scenario aside the season would be one of the best in program history and that’s why this ride has been so awesome.

All that said, the only game that truly matters *at this point* is Wednesday night in a brutally hard place to play versus the defending champ.

We are Marquette

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 12:49:05 PM »
Marquette will be damn close to the 1 line if they win out.  A lot of wood still to chop to get there, though.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2019, 04:04:09 PM »
Conspiracy me says we end up in Duke's bracket no matter what.

Conspiracy Kentucky fan says the same thing about MU.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 04:17:57 PM »
Conspiracy Kentucky fan says the same thing about MU.

Markus goes for a triple double against them in the elite 8?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Carl

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2019, 04:24:48 PM »

Now the hard part that would get the eyerolls- I know I may be in the minority here but in the above scenario with Marquette sweeping reg and conf tourney titles and getting a 2 seed, a potential loss in the 2v7 or 2v10 game pre sweet 16 would still make this year a complete success imo.

I know it’s horrible to even think about, I know it would suck arse, but I also know the NCAA tournament is amazing and crape happens. That nightmarish scenario aside the season would be one of the best in program history and that’s why this ride has been so awesome.

Couldn't agree more.  This season has been a blast and this team is so damn fun to watch.  A deep tourney run would be icing on the cake but once we lock up the reg season BE title, there will be nothing this team could do that would make me consider the season a disappointment.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2019, 03:25:05 AM »
Root against UNC UK LSU and Virginia Tech today?
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2019, 07:28:09 AM »
Root against UNC UK LSU and Virginia Tech today?

I would say so. You could cheer for Virginia Tech over Duke if you think its possible that Duke will have an end of season collapse without Zion, but I'm not seeing it so cheering against VT is probably safer.

You can also cheer for Indiana, Ohio State, and Buffalo for good measure.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2019, 07:35:06 AM »
I would say so. You could cheer for Virginia Tech over Duke if you think its possible that Duke will have an end of season collapse without Zion, but I'm not seeing it so cheering against VT is probably safer.

You can also cheer for Indiana, Ohio State, and Buffalo for good measure.

Figure even if duke loses to them and UNC and we won out they'd still be ahead so probably not worth it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2019, 07:39:43 AM »
At this point,  I want Kentucky to stay ahead of Tennessee.  Marquette isn't catching Kentucky,  and I want Marquette to go to Des Moines.  Kentucky going to Columbus makes the path to Des Moines much easier.   

muguru

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2019, 11:36:36 AM »
At this point,  I want Kentucky to stay ahead of Tennessee.  Marquette isn't catching Kentucky,  and I want Marquette to go to Des Moines.  Kentucky going to Columbus makes the path to Des Moines much easier.

As much as I want the #2 seed...the most important thing to me right now is playing in Des Moines. If it's a #3 seed in Des Moines vs a #2 seed in Hartford...I think that's about the only scenario where I'd be okay with a #3 instead of a #2.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2019, 11:43:39 AM »
As much as I want the #2 seed...the most important thing to me right now is playing in Des Moines. If it's a #3 seed in Des Moines vs a #2 seed in Hartford...I think that's about the only scenario where I'd be okay with a #3 instead of a #2.

Why is this so important to you? Do you have family there you can crash with or something? Wouldn't a competitor care about opponent/path to the championship rather than personal expedience vis a vis travel?

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2019, 12:00:39 PM »
Why is this so important to you? Do you have family there you can crash with or something? Wouldn't a competitor care about opponent/path to the championship rather than personal expedience vis a vis travel?

I think you are reading too much into guru's comment, EFR. 

Des Moines is the best for Marquette in terms of proximity, which would hopefully mean more fan support.  Recall that for MU's Final Four run, we played in Indianapolis and the Twin Cities for our first four games, and had good attendance at both locations. 

However, I will say that it is tough to think of a scenario in which we could end up at a 2-seed in Hartford at this point of the season, so he presents a bit of a counterfactual. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2019, 12:14:06 PM »
Yeah,  I don't think there's any amount of fan support that could be as close to valuable as playing lower seeds. We're not that important. Give me the higher seed over Des Moines every day.

Plus,  if I understand the process correctly, getting a higher seed increases our chances of going to Des Moines
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2019, 12:26:07 PM »
Yeah,  I don't think there's any amount of fan support that could be as close to valuable as playing lower seeds. We're not that important. Give me the higher seed over Des Moines every day.

Plus,  if I understand the process correctly, getting a higher seed increases our chances of going to Des Moines

7-1 record in away/neutral games since Thanksgiving is also pretty reassuring.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUfanatic45

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2019, 12:31:56 PM »
2 seeds would obviously be amazing.

But honestly I just wanna keep our 3 seed.

TT/Purdue/LSU/Houston doing us no favors. With Kansas lurking.

Those teams all have a lot of cream puff games left. A few challenges.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2019, 02:19:42 PM »
I think you are reading too much into guru's comment, EFR. 

Des Moines is the best for Marquette in terms of proximity, which would hopefully mean more fan support.  Recall that for MU's Final Four run, we played in Indianapolis and the Twin Cities for our first four games, and had good attendance at both locations. 

However, I will say that it is tough to think of a scenario in which we could end up at a 2-seed in Hartford at this point of the season, so he presents a bit of a counterfactual.

You're exactly right...I'm not going to any games, but I want them to have as big of an advantage as possible(this is the competitor in me :)). They would draw nicely in Des Moines I suspect. As far as the Hartford comment, I made that in regards to seeing the Selection committee had MU going to Hartford currently. That of course was as a 3 seed. I just through the #2 analogy in there to emphasize how I'd rather see them be a 3 closer to home, if that's how it worked out.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2019, 02:21:00 PM »
I really do wonder how seriously(if at all) MU would be considered for a 1 seed if they win out. Let's hope we have the chance to find out.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2019, 02:40:05 PM »

Its an interesting question, especially when only talking about the difference of a seed line.  There is a reason that home court carries a statistical advantage--a portion of that at least is the fan/crowd.  I'm not sure that Des Moines is that advantageous to us versus being in Chicago or Madison (if they were to ever host), but being in decent driving distance will certainly help with the crowd. 

But, yes, I agree with this--the main point is that no matter what, the higher we are seeded, the better the chances of playing in Des Moines anyway.  That's why I said guru presented a counterfactual in proposing a hypothetical choice between being a 2 seed in Hartford vs. a 3 seed in Des Moines.  No realistic way for the first to happen, so it is a false choice.  The second one, though, is possible and may be the intersection of the most likely and advantageous outcomes for us.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2019, 02:50:47 PM »
I really do wonder how seriously(if at all) MU would be considered for a 1 seed if they win out. Let's hope we have the chance to find out.

Its possible but still highly unlikely. The Big East is just to down this year even with a what would be 30-4 record. I do think we get a 2 seed in this scenario. This year there seems to be 12 teams that you could legit make a argument deserve to be on a 1 or 2 line. This just means you are going to see matchups that normally wouldn't occur until the final four happen in the elite 8 or maybe even the sweet 16.  I could honestly see Purdue if they fall to a 4 seed knock out any of the 1 seeds same with Nova.

MUfanatic45

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2019, 03:00:25 PM »
Its possible but still highly unlikely. The Big East is just to down this year even with a what would be 30-4 record. I do think we get a 2 seed in this scenario. This year there seems to be 12 teams that you could legit make a argument deserve to be on a 1 or 2 line. This just means you are going to see matchups that normally wouldn't occur until the final four happen in the elite 8 or maybe even the sweet 16.  I could honestly see Purdue if they fall to a 4 seed knock out any of the 1 seeds same with Nova.

Agreed that there is more strength in the top 6 lines while the bubble is baaaaaaaaaad.

I struggle to see Purdue winning against the projected one seeds tho. They are winning games, but barely against mostly average competition lately. They can't play at Mackey for the tourney. Edwards is a poor mans Markus. I'd love to face them.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2019, 08:45:53 PM »
With VT upsetting Duke, I'm cheering real hard for FSU next Tuesday. I don't think VT is close to passing us but that's the kind of win that can make up some ground. The loss also opens the door for a late season Duke collapse. Not counting on it by any means but if they have a WTF loss like home vs Wake or Miami all of the sudden they could be passable.
TAMU

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2019, 09:52:37 PM »
With VT upsetting Duke, I'm cheering real hard for FSU next Tuesday. I don't think VT is close to passing us but that's the kind of win that can make up some ground. The loss also opens the door for a late season Duke collapse. Not counting on it by any means but if they have a WTF loss like home vs Wake or Miami all of the sudden they could be passable.

Not worried about VaTech.  But I do think we should start including Duke in Ye Olde 2-Seed Rooting Guide until Zion is 100% back.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2019, 10:15:26 PM »
Not worried about VaTech.  But I do think we should start including Duke in Ye Olde 2-Seed Rooting Guide until Zion is 100% back.

I would be shocked if Zion came back this year. Either way they wont be falling off the 1 line with how much the NCAA loves Duke.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2019, 11:00:41 PM »
Arkansas almost did us a huge favor. Had a 15 point lead in the 2nd half. Couldn't hold them off
TAMU

feedback