'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: On the bright side  (Read 2536 times)

muguru

• All American
On the bright side
« on: March 03, 2019, 07:44:40 PM »
Look, as you all know I can NEVER find good in a loss...EVER. Especially after a horsesh*t performance like today...However, if there is ONE silver lining in all of this...at least it didn't cost them an NCAA bid. I guess that's something. Doesn't make it suck any less really, but I guess a positive.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: On the bright side
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 07:45:46 PM »
Trendin' in da rong direction, in March, is neva a good thang man, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 07:49:29 PM »
Said something similar to my wife on the way back to the car after the game. At least laying an egg now doesn't end their season. Would rather have it today than three weeks from today.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 07:52:11 PM »
Yep. Slumping now is better than slumping in 2-3 weeks.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 07:53:39 PM »
Delusional. Sucky Bball is sucky Bball.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 07:54:04 PM »
Tomorrow on March 4th MU is...

1. A top 15-20 team.
2. A lock for the tournament.
3. 23-6 record with a chance at a Big East title.

I’ll take that every single year. Overall, the season is a success in my eyes even if MU loses out. Easy to forget how brutal the last few years have been.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 07:54:28 PM »
Wear's da guarantee? Logically, dis makes know scents, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 08:01:53 PM »
Tomorrow on March 4th MU is...

1. A top 15-20 team.
2. A lock for the tournament.
3. 23-6 record with a chance at a Big East title.

I’ll take that every single year. Overall, the season is a success in my eyes even if MU loses out. Easy to forget how brutal the last few years have been.

The whole even if mu loses out its a success????????????

The kind of money we are spending on wojo and the program.  Former elite team etc.  we really cant be just happy with a tourney bid every few years.   Might as well pretend in the NIT tourney yearly if we are ok with teams that are one and done in march. 

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 08:02:46 PM »
If wojo doesnt produce a sweet 16 this year or next it should be next man up to quote him

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 08:08:56 PM »
Seriously?   23-6 and it is S-16 in the next two years or bust?   It is more likely that Duke poaches him than he gets fired.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 08:44:02 PM »
Seriously?   23-6 and it is S-16 in the next two years or bust?   It is more likely that Duke poaches him than he gets fired.

Sure - if we don't get there this year or next (assuming Markus stays) I'd say we can open the conversation back up.

But we're in good shape to get there this year or next. But results matter, not potential!
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

muguru

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 08:45:20 PM »
Sure - if we don't get there this year or next (assuming Markus stays) I'd say we can open the conversation back up.

But we're in good shape to get there this year or next. But results matter, not potential!

+1000 It's about the results.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 08:50:25 PM »
If wojo doesnt produce a sweet 16 this year or next it should be next man up to quote him

An extra ice cube in the drink usually does wonders.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

1SE

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 09:00:50 PM »
+1000 It's about the results.

Yes, the reason this season has been exciting is because it has portended a nice tourney run.

And it still does. Let's hope that happens.

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 09:34:08 PM »
On the real bright side Marquette has only given up 70 points 4x in the last 13 games, 6x in the 16 conf games.

The defense has stayed strong despite the b2b losses and that’ll play in March if it stays that way.

Of course the offense has had its issues, but I’ll take my chances in one and done games with having the defense be solid and needing to improvise to score enough to win

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 09:43:47 PM »
Were any of you at the conference tourney in 2003 when they they were a one seed that looked awful getting beat in the first round?  I was, and it sucked.  But it worked out ok.  Losses in Match aren’t always disasters. 

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 09:53:09 PM »
we really cant be just happy with a tourney bid every few years.   Might as well pretend in the NIT tourney yearly if we are ok with teams that are one and done in march.

With respect, I never said anything about being happy about a tourney bid every few years. Quite frankly, I too was puzzled at the bizarre euphoria surrounding last year’s NIT “run.” That was deeply concerning to me. However, I’m happy MU is a top 20 team heading into the final week of the season. Couldn’t have drawn it up any better. NCAA success is largely a crapshoot, although I think we’ll be a tough match up for teams who have never played against us. Despite the loss today, I’ve really enjoyed watching this team and my expectations have already been met. Of course I’m hoping for more success.