Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: When Chones Went Pro; Al>Krzyzewski  (Read 12029 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
When Chones Went Pro; Al>Krzyzewski
« on: February 21, 2019, 11:19:28 PM »
Jim Chones went Pro in the middle of the season , February 1972.  We were undefeated, 21-0 at the time. MU had gone 49-1 with Chones.   What was even more remarkable was that Al unambiguously told him to go to the Nets.

Al > Krzyzewski

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: When Chones Went Pro; Al>Krzyzewski
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 11:26:15 PM »
+1!!!!

It is time Coach K show the same type of leadership.

Leaving 21-0 Warriors got his mom a house
May 5, 1992

https://journaltimes.com/news/local/leaving---warriors-got-his-mom-a-house/article_aa0f3f94-f232-5bd5-91cb-e55fff7114eb.html

t's almost commonplace now, but nearly two decades ago, Jim Chones did something almost unthinkable.

Chones, who was then attending Marquette University, decided to leave school and join the New York Nets of the American Basketball Association. He thus became one of the first players - Spencer Haywood of Detroit was the first - to pass up his remaining college eligibility for the pros.

Not only that, Chones did something that has never been done. He left before Marquette had completed its season.

Chones' decision was a controversial one to say the least. At the time, on Feb. 17, 1972, Marquette had a 21-0 record and was the second-ranked team in the country, only behind the Bill Walton-led UCLA Bruins.

Chones, then a junior and averaging 20.5 points, opted to turn pro for family and personal reasons.

It was an offer too good to refuse. It was an offer Marquette Coach Al McGuire encouraged Chones to accept. McGuire said he even tried to land Chones a pro contract sooner.

"I haven't told this story, but I started working on this after his sophomore season," McGuire said. "I knew the merger between the NBA and ABA was going to happen pretty soon and when it did, the (monetary) numbers would decrease.

[continue reading at the link above]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 11:29:12 PM by Rick Majerus' Towel »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 11:40:20 PM »
Sorry, but I don't think the situations are the same. I also don't think anyone here knows what conversations have or haven't been had by Coach K and Zion.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 11:58:21 PM »
Jim Chones went Pro in the middle of the season , February 1972.  We were undefeated, 21-0 at the time. MU had gone 49-1 with Chones.   What was even more remarkable was that Al unambiguously told him to go to the Nets.

Al > Krzyzewski

For a good guy like Al, it wasn’t that remarkable...Al looked in his icebox and it was full; he looked in Jim’s and it was empty.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 06:08:08 AM »
I did not remember the 49-1 record with Chones at MU. Thanks

...I do remember following Chones teams at Racine Saint Cates...senior year they had a great record 26-0 and during his entire HS tenure I think they only lost once or twice.....that works out to something like 120-3, for Jims Wisconsin combined HS and college career

Does Chones boast the best all time WI win % record for the teams he played on there?

Someone must know this trivia teaser. ie combine a players HS team record with his college team record ...

My guess is nationally, Lew Alcindor is no 1 here...79-2 at NY Power Memorial and 88-2 at UCLA .....167-4 combined total
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 06:13:16 AM »

...I do remember following Chones teams at Racine Saint Cates...senior year they had a great record 26-0 and during his entire HS tenure I think they only lost once or twice.....that works out to something like 120-3, for Jims Wisconsin combined HS and college career

Does Chones boast the best all time WI win % record for the teams he played on there?

Someone must know this trivia teaser. ie combine a players HS team record with his college team record ...

My guess is nationally, Lew Alcindor is no 1 here...79-2 at NY Power Memorial and 88-2 at UCLA .....167-4 combined total
I know Joey isn’t 1st, but he’s gotta be way up there.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 06:36:01 AM »
Bobby Hurley ---115-5 Saint Anthony's HS NJ, 143-26 Duke
combined 258-31
Oscar Robertson 91-3 Crispus Attucks HS 79-9 Univ Cincinnati
combined 170-12
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 06:52:36 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 06:39:37 AM »
Lol
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 07:25:44 AM »
Eye 'member it tadey like it wuz yesterdey. Right afta beetin' Jacksonville at da Mecca. Woke up ta Jim Irwin at 620 WTMJ bustin' da news on the mornin' sports report.
Any y'all 'member da NCAA declarin' Lackey ineligible for the Tourney? Sum weird chit happened only heer back in da dey, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 08:06:50 AM »
So you made a thread without actually knowing what K said to Zion? Let's say K is saying he could be costing himself millions and zions saying 'coach before I go pro I want to lead us to the Final four'.

Maigh Eo for Sam

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 08:09:54 AM »
SI did a piece in the season preview that was titled The Big One who Stayed, or something like it. We knew tempting offers among ABA and NBA teams were out there. Many of us young pups who saw the 70-71 team  play knew that this one might be the best MU team ever with Chones in the middle, the Black Swan and new comer Larry McNeil on the wings. They played like champs too until...well you know what went down Feb 22. 
Chones was poor; Al knew from his modest roots what to do.
We all understood why but hated that the slimy ABA and rigid NCAA rules did not let him finish the season.
By the way, Maurice Lucas was a freshmen that year. NCAA rules back then banned freshmen from varsity play. If Luke had been available even after all this...the mind boggles.
But we all knew MU had arrived and the story was not over.       

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 08:40:59 AM »
Would it have been better if Chones did what Howard Porter did? Yeah it would've been discovered and revoked but at least we'd have seen what the end result of that team would've been
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 09:10:53 AM »
Would it have been better if Chones did what Howard Porter did? Yeah it would've been discovered and revoked but at least we'd have seen what the end result of that team would've been
The Geezer was one heck of a player.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 09:53:09 AM »
Had Chones stayed one more year, our frontline would of been Chones, McNeil & Lucas.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 10:00:24 AM »
Had Chones stayed one more year, our frontline would of been Chones, McNeil & Lucas.
No one would have touched us.
                       ---Al McGuire

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 10:45:00 AM »
Was chones drafted? Or signed as a free agent?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 11:26:24 AM »

C'mon man, no yo history. #22 was signed write afta the Warriors beet da Dolphins. Eye went ta bed, Chones wuz a Warrior. Woke up, he gone. No draft, just got signed out from under us during da season. Crazy chit, butt da ABA wuz in a desparate situation. Goin' forward da Cavs drafted him, fore witch he eventually played, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 11:33:31 AM »
He was drafted by the Nets, but the ABA drafts were kind of strange.  They were held in secret with the other clubs not even knowing who was drafted.  They also had a number of supplemental rounds.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 04:58:07 PM »

Al > Krzyzewski

You brought back that sinking feeling! It was even worse when Lucas left!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 06:43:09 PM »

C'mon man, no yo history. #22 was signed write afta the Warriors beet da Dolphins. Eye went ta bed, Chones wuz a Warrior. Woke up, he gone. No draft, just got signed out from under us during da season. Crazy chit, butt da ABA wuz in a desparate situation. Goin' forward da Cavs drafted him, fore witch he eventually played, hey?
I got to know Roy Boe,the front man owner of the Nets at that time, later in his Life. I met Boe because he was trying to raise money for a couple of minor league hockey teams he owned.

Boe was a typical entrepreneur whose appetite for sports teams was bigger than his pocket book. He had control of the Islanders and Nets at the same time but couldn't afford both.  He truly was a desperate man.

He thought Chones would help the Nets franchise stay afloat long enough for them to merge with NBA.  I think Chones ended up getting the best of the deal , as he got his bonus money from Boe and, as pointed out above ,ended up in the NBA anyway.

Al did a great job for Chones.
                       ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 06:56:46 PM »

Actually, Lew had a much better record than that.

Freshmen were not eligible to play varsity ball, and the UCLA freshman team was also undefeated - including a drubbing of the #1 team in the country, the Wooden coached UCLA varsity. Lew had 30+ points and 20+ rebounds in that game.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 07:12:27 PM »

Freshmen were not eligible to play varsity ball, and the UCLA freshman team was also undefeated - including a drubbing of the #1 team in the country, the Wooden coached UCLA varsity. Lew had 30+ points and 20+ rebounds in that game.
It would be interesting to see how Lew/Kareem would have done in this era. I think he still would be the greatest player.
                       ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 07:17:35 PM »

Nope, not at UCLA at least.

They were 88-2 with Alcindor, which on a pct basis is worse than 49-1
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 07:43:32 PM »
Nope, not at UCLA at least.

They were 88-2 with Alcindor, which on a pct basis is worse than 49-1
If Chones would have stayed, there could have possibly been a Marquette UCLA final matching two undefeated teams.
                       ---Al McGuire

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 08:49:34 PM »
If Chones would have stayed, there could have possibly been a Marquette UCLA final matching two undefeated teams.

Yep.  Chones vs. Walton The dream college match-up that never happened.

"The 1972–73 UCLA Bruins men's basketball team won another National Championship for UCLA by beating the Memphis State Tigers, 87–66 in the Final Four and winning their seventh consecutive title. In the NCAA Championship Game, Bill Walton made 21 of 22 field goal attempts and scored 44 points."

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 09:12:24 PM »
The Nets of the ABA had the first draft pick lock up. Back then both the NBA and ABA had their own drafts. So each team that drafted Chones would have fight against each other for him. The Nets offered an immediate contract with above market money, if Chones would sign early.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2019, 09:14:27 PM »

I was two years old living in Central America at the time, so I never got to experience him, but I spent two years as Executive Producer of Marquette Basketball TV network and Jim was our analyst for the broadcasts....Coach Al did a bunch of games, too.  Mr. Chones was great, I love his daughter Kareeda...classy family through and through.

As a kid I do remember him playing for the Lakers.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 09:26:50 PM »
I was two years old living in Central America at the time, so I never got to experience him, but I spent two years as Executive Producer of Marquette Basketball TV network and Jim was our analyst for the broadcasts....Coach Al did a bunch of games, too.  Mr. Chones was great, I love his daughter Kareeda...classy family through and through.

As a kid I do remember him playing for the Lakers.
Thats nice, but what the heck does that have to do with what you responded to?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2019, 09:38:18 PM »
Growing up in MKE, I knew of #22 throughout his high school career. But, got to meet him up close and personal during freshman orientation in August 1969 in the lobby of the Varsity Theater. I approached this tall, skinny kid, wearing a green Michigan State windbreaker, standing there alone. Later, he, I, Sugar, #45, John Cary, and Kurt Spychalla were all classmates in John Pick's English class together.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2019, 09:39:11 PM »

Nothing, but the Cheekmeister is a serial name dropper. No opening (however small or even imagined) is ignored.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2019, 09:41:21 PM »
Gotta admit its kinda fun ta do dis name droppin' chit, hey?  ;D
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2019, 09:45:24 PM »
Gotta admit its kinda fun ta do dis name droppin' chit, hey?  ;D
Like Dizzy Dean said " It aint braggin if you can back it up"
                       ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2019, 09:46:48 PM »

Let’s see

1). Never got to see him play, but that UCLA vs MU matchup sounds like it would be great

2). Though I didn’t get to see him play, I did have the honor of working with him for two years....great dude....great family.

I didn’t realize that was hard....I see posts about people coaching their HS teams, etc, all seem to be ok even if occasionally they end up in a thread that doesn’t seem to have linkage....but here I spoke mostly about Chones.  Oh well.  Cheers
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:12:38 AM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2019, 09:48:16 PM »
Growing up in MKE, I knew of #22 throughout his high school career. But, got to meet him up close and personal during freshman orientation in August 1969 in the lobby of the Varsity Theater. I approached this tall, skinny kid, wearing a green Michigan State windbreaker, standing there alone. Later, he, I, Sugar, #45, John Cary, and Kurt Spychalla were all classmates in John Pick's English class together.

Thanks for sharing, and I’m glad you did....some may question if your response was appropriate to the thread, but I found it to be nice and appreciated.  Gracias

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2019, 09:49:23 PM »
Like Dizzy Dean said " It aint braggin if you can back it up"

Yup, some peeps don’t get that but tiz okie dokiez in myzz bookz

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2019, 06:39:34 AM »
Eye 'member it tadey like it wuz yesterdey. Right afta beetin' Jacksonville at da Mecca. Woke up ta Jim Irwin at 620 WTMJ bustin' da news on the mornin' sports report.
Any y'all 'member da NCAA declarin' Lackey ineligible for the Tourney? Sum weird chit happened only heer back in da dey, aina?

yes to this-i remember it seeming as though it was MU & al against everyone else.  the refs & the ncaa.  were we victims, hell no,  it played right into our push back and our resolve.  many examples showing this, but the most emblematic one was al showing the big middle finger to the ncaa in 1970, boycotting their tourney, opting for the nit and winning the mofo by destroying massachusetts, utah, lsu and st johnnies
    i forgot about this one-

"# In March of 1968, McGuire refused to appear on Adolph Rupp's TV show before the NCAA Tournament, instigating a persistent feud with the bombastic Baron of the Bluegrass. McGuire thought was Rupp was too stubbornly Old South in ways that hindered social progress … racist, in other words. Playing on their home floor, Rupp's Kentucky Wildcats bombed Marquette out of the tournament, but the Warriors avenged the loss in Madison, Wis., one year later."

and this one-

"   In 1971, one of the best teams in Marquette history went 26-0 in the regular season, only to lose to Ohio State in the regional semifinals in Athens, Ga. In his next-to-last game as a Warrior, All-America guard Dean Meminger fouled out for the only time in his college career. The Warriors put the game officials on their all-opponent team at the season-ending banquet."

and this one-

"# In March of 1974, Marquette stormed through the NCAA tournament and reached the Final Four for the first time in school history. In the title game, an overheated McGuire drew two technical fouls from "television ref" Irv Brown as North Carolina State pulled away to a 12-point victory. He later blamed himself for losing the game."

i've got this iconic picture hanging in my office-a black n white of al walking past rick and raymond with looks on their faces that told ya all ya needed to know

i just remember we always seemed to be pushing back.  we were an independent & catholic.  if al would have done today, what he did in 1968 with kentucky/adolff hitl...rupp, he would have been looked upon as the white mlk and rightly so.

al was his own man
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2019, 06:44:55 AM »
Nothing, but the Cheekmeister is a serial name dropper. No opening (however small or even imagined) is ignored.

i sure am glad all of these threads are otherwise lock step and then someone comes in here and just ruins your guys day

little boxes on the hillside-little boxes all the same.... ::)

great stories 4ever and cheeks!  always good to hear that any one of us have had brushes with some of these stories that humanize them and bring 'em closer to reality
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 06:46:38 AM by rocket surgeon »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2019, 07:34:51 AM »

great stories 4ever and cheeks!  always good to hear that any one of us have had brushes with some of these stories that humanize them and bring 'em closer to reality

This was a thread about a defining moment in Marquette history. A poor black player was encouraged by his white coach to go pro during what was very possibly a championship season. 4ever's recollections of those times and some of the characters give added color to that moment. Chico using that moment to remind everyone for the umpteenth time that he knew and worked with Al (and Jim ) 25 years later is beside the point, A look at me moment, if you will.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2019, 08:06:04 AM »
This was a thread about a defining moment in Marquette history. A poor black player was encouraged by his white coach to go pro during what was very possibly a championship season. 4ever's recollections of those times and some of the characters give added color to that moment. Chico using that moment to remind everyone for the umpteenth time that he knew and worked with Al (and Jim ) 25 years later is beside the point, A look at me moment, if you will.
This reminds me of the time I met the Dalai Lama...well actually his brother, who  lived in Bloomington, IN (no joke).He told me to use the ignore function

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2019, 08:27:56 AM »
I am with 4ever. I remember that day like it was yesterday. Truthfully, I had so much trust in Al that I fully supported it. Big time disappointing, but still feel a watershed moment in MU ball history.

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2019, 09:07:12 AM »
The full story of Jimmy leaving MU appears in Chapter 10 (Dunkirk) of the Centennial Edition of my book "You Can Call Me Al: The Colorful Journey of College Basketball's Original Flower Child, Al McGuire." For more information about that book and my second book "Goin' Uptown: Marquette's March to Madness and Return to the Final Four," check out my website (www.jdmpress.net). I will also be blogging on that site for the balance of the season and postseason.

Go Warriors!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2019, 10:13:17 AM »
The full story of Jimmy leaving MU appears in Chapter 10 (Dunkirk) of the Centennial Edition of my book "You Can Call Me Al: The Colorful Journey of College Basketball's Original Flower Child, Al McGuire." For more information about that book and my second book "Goin' Uptown: Marquette's March to Madness and Return to the Final Four," check out my website (www.jdmpress.net). I will also be blogging on that site for the balance of the season and postseason.

Go Warriors!

Read your book several times.  Strongly endorse the purchase

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2019, 10:18:08 AM »

Did you hear MU82 coaches a girl’s basketball team.....did you know that?  Some will say 2X umpteenth time....know what...who cares.  Good for him.  If it bothered me, I’d put him on ignore.

Actually I’m guessing 0% of people here had a chance to work with Jim for two years, so I thought I would share what a wonderful guy he was.  Didn’t realize that was so far off the beaten path, especially for the newbies here that didn’t know it.....we have guys in the last few days asking who George Thompson is for example.  Easiest solution Lenny is put me on ignore.  Super easy

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2019, 10:19:06 AM »
I was a freshman, and actually wrote a very short letter to the Chicago Tribune sports section supporting Al - which they printed!
I did not keep a copy, though.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2019, 10:19:54 AM »
I was a freshman, and actually wrote a very short letter to the Chicago Tribune sports section supporting Al - which they printed!
I did not keep a copy, though.

You can buy old copies of newspapers if you know the date

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2019, 10:46:26 AM »
So, I had a couple of credits to blow my senior year at MU. Took Nader's "Individual and Dual Sports" class. It covered tennis, bowling, and golf. Several basketball players were enrolled as well. My 4 person bowling team consisted of both George "Sugar" Frazier and Maurice Lucas and we bowled twice weekly at the Y on 9th and Wis. Truth be told, Sugar sucked major ass bowling and didn't have a fookin' clue. Don't know if he ever scored 100. Luke, on the other hand, was a natural athlete. After rollin' somethin' like a 164, he told me that was first game of bowling he ever participated in. I think the pins just fell down from fear as he stared at them. Anyway, enjoyed getting to know both and we had a hoot doing it.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2019, 10:54:17 AM »

Go Warriors!

i read, "you can call me al" a few times!  another great book!  thanks for alerting me of the other-can i get it on kindle or amazon read?  regardless, gonna go get it somehow!  thanks joe! can never get enough of these

here we go again, another self-aggrandizing post changing the subject... ;)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2019, 11:00:08 AM »
So, I had a couple of credits to blow my senior year at MU. Took Nader's "Individual and Dual Sports" class. It covered tennis, bowling, and golf. Several basketball players were enrolled as well. My 4 person bowling team consisted of both George "Sugar" Frazier and Maurice Lucas and we bowled twice weekly at the Y on 9th and Wis. Truth be told, Sugar sucked major ass bowling and didn't have a fookin' clue. Don't know if he ever scored 100. Luke, on the other hand, was a natural athlete. After rollin' somethin' like a 164, he told me that was first game of bowling he ever participated in. I think the pins just fell down from fear as he stared at them. Anyway, enjoyed getting to know both and we had a hoot doing it.

LOL.  That's awesome. 

Not bowling, but another sport related where MU players involved.  Trevor Powell and Charles Luter and I played volleyball freshman year on what now stands the AMU. Vack in the day they would have outdoor football and volleyball games that were semi organized early in the school year.  Tony Smith was a great vball player, but those two not so much.  That said, I would just keep setting them and their sure size pretty much scared the opposition even if they connected forcefully about 10% of the time.  All it took was one or two decent hits and the oppo wanted no part of the net. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2019, 11:00:40 AM »
Sorry, but I don't think the situations are the same. I also don't think anyone here knows what conversations have or haven't been had by Coach K and Zion.
Situations are not the same.  I'm guessing it made more sense financially to hang around then than it does now.

That said...examples like this are why I love Al.  We don't know what Coach K has said to Zion...we do know what he said to guys that left early in the past.  He has obviously changed his tune, as it was best for him to do so, but he was a sh1t head about guys leaving early long after he saw Al handle it the right way.   

I asked Al if he thought players should be paid...his answer was predictable. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2019, 11:16:42 AM »
Situations are not the same.  I'm guessing it made more sense financially to hang around then than it does now.

That said...examples like this are why I love Al.  We don't know what Coach K has said to Zion...we do know what he said to guys that left early in the past.  He has obviously changed his tune, as it was best for him to do so, but he was a sh1t head about guys leaving early long after he saw Al handle it the right way.   

I asked Al if he thought players should be paid...his answer was predictable.

Al was in a time mostly before Title IX, he came in at the very beginning of it....with that reality now fully in play it complicates things significantly. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2019, 01:21:16 PM »
yes to this-i remember it seeming as though it was MU & al against everyone else.  the refs & the ncaa.  were we victims, hell no,  it played right into our push back and our resolve.  many examples showing this, but the most emblematic one was al showing the big middle finger to the ncaa in 1970, boycotting their tourney, opting for the nit and winning the mofo by destroying massachusetts, utah, lsu and st johnnies
    i forgot about this one-

"# In March of 1968, McGuire refused to appear on Adolph Rupp's TV show before the NCAA Tournament, instigating a persistent feud with the bombastic Baron of the Bluegrass. McGuire thought was Rupp was too stubbornly Old South in ways that hindered social progress … racist, in other words. Playing on their home floor, Rupp's Kentucky Wildcats bombed Marquette out of the tournament, but the Warriors avenged the loss in Madison, Wis., one year later."

and this one-

"   In 1971, one of the best teams in Marquette history went 26-0 in the regular season, only to lose to Ohio State in the regional semifinals in Athens, Ga. In his next-to-last game as a Warrior, All-America guard Dean Meminger fouled out for the only time in his college career. The Warriors put the game officials on their all-opponent team at the season-ending banquet."

and this one-

"# In March of 1974, Marquette stormed through the NCAA tournament and reached the Final Four for the first time in school history. In the title game, an overheated McGuire drew two technical fouls from "television ref" Irv Brown as North Carolina State pulled away to a 12-point victory. He later blamed himself for losing the game."

i've got this iconic picture hanging in my office-a black n white of al walking past rick and raymond with looks on their faces that told ya all ya needed to know

i just remember we always seemed to be pushing back.  we were an independent & catholic.  if al would have done today, what he did in 1968 with kentucky/adolff hitl...rupp, he would have been looked upon as the white mlk and rightly so.

al was his own man

Vital just spoke about Irv Brown, apparently he died in past few days.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2019, 02:12:27 PM »
Did you hear MU82 coaches a girl’s basketball team.....did you know that?  Some will say 2X umpteenth time....know what...who cares.  Good for him.  If it bothered me, I’d put him on ignore.

Actually I’m guessing 0% of people here had a chance to work with Jim for two years, so I thought I would share what a wonderful guy he was.  Didn’t realize that was so far off the beaten path, especially for the newbies here that didn’t know it.....we have guys in the last few days asking who George Thompson is for example.  Easiest solution Lenny is put me on ignore.  Super easy

Has Mike been braggin' on all the famous girls he's coached? Must have missed that.

I would never put any Warrior fan on ignore - it's not my way. And sometimes you bring insights and information to Scoop that I find worthwhile and valuable.

But the name dropping and lack of awareness about it I think is annoying. Sorry.

warriorjoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2019, 02:25:14 PM »
Rocket:

The Centennial Edition of "Goin' Uptown: Marquette's March to Madness and Return to the Final Four," the only book about MU's 2003 Final Four, is available at the Spirit Shop and on my website (www.jdmpress.net).

The Centennial Edition of "You Can Call Me Al" is in the final editing stages and I hope that it gets printed in the next month. It includes a photo page of every MU basketball coach as well as photos from Al's funeral. The added Introduction covers the beginnings of the basketball program in 1916-17 season all the way through Eddie Hickey's time at MU. The rest of the book is Al's first and complete biography.

The website includes the forewords for both books (Bobby Knight did the foreword for Al's book; the late Rick Majerus did the foreword for "Goin' Uptown."), photos, comments, newspaper reviews, my blog which will cover the rest of the year and my biography.

Go Warriors!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2019, 02:53:39 PM »

But the name dropping and lack of awareness about it I think is annoying. Sorry.

Sorry, but I just share stories...it is part of my life, part of my every day world.  Is what it is.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2019, 03:16:42 PM »
Sorry, but I just share stories...it is part of my life, part of my every day world.  Is what it is.

keep 'em coming jam-man  as i've said, it's always good to see our MU people doing well.  us "unwashed" love to hear this stuff.  actually, it humanizes them a little.  btw, the pic you sent me of you walking down the red carpet with kobe and charles at the espys was an "i'm not worthy" moment. kinda like the episode in the league where the "fear boner" evolved...i guess we could call this the "peer boner"  ey ey eyn'a? ;D

hey w'joe-sent ya a pm

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2019, 11:49:34 PM »
Enjoy your stories . Keep them coming. Having traveled in similar circles I find them spot on. 
                       ---Al McGuire

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2019, 06:23:51 AM »
Enjoy your stories . Keep them coming. Having traveled in similar circles I find them spot on.
This is the best post ever! 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2019, 10:40:18 AM »

Hermaloop!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2019, 10:45:19 AM »

Thanks.  And yes, they are....not sure why they wouldn’t be as they are simply life stories of what happened.  It is a crazy industry of sports, that is for sure.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2019, 12:26:23 PM »

Jim Chones sat behind me in Micro Economics with Mr. Chung.  This was no easy class. It was even more difficult with the heavy Asian accent.  A number of times I got the tap on the shoulder "Let me see your homework" which I gladly handed over.  Too bad he had to waste a year playing on the freshman team.

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2019, 04:23:08 AM »
Clones got some kind of loan his junior year and lived in the Catholic Knights Tower on Wells.  A nun MU librarian lived there at the time and helped him find his dog that got loose.

MU62

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2019, 04:48:47 AM »
Imagine a front wall of Chones, McNeil and Lucas!  It would have been nice. 

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2019, 09:36:50 PM »

Unstoppable
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2019, 11:39:23 AM »
In case you haven't read this from Dodds site, more than 10 years ago, but some great comments from Chones.  He addresses if there were inducements to come play at MU, the game in South Carolina, the ABA, why he went to MU, etc.

https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Article/Celebrating-Alumni-Jim-Chones-104334451/

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2019, 03:23:25 PM »

Speaking of the late (great) Maurice Lucas (he died of bladder cancer in 2010).

In game two of the 1977 NBA finals, he had one of the great moments in NBA history when he fought Darryl Dawkins.

This video shows Dawkins body slamming Bobby Gross to the ground and the ref unbelievably called it a jump ball.  Gross then gave Dawkins the finger (goes by fast) and then all hell broke loose.  Mo Lucas jumped in to fight with the 6' 11' 300 pound Dawkins.  Portland was down 0-2 in the series at the time.  After Lucas took on Dawkins, he was a non-factor and Portland won the 1977 series.  Bill Walton was the MVP, it should have been Lucas.

Side note, I feel this board does not give Lucas enough love.  He was not just an MU great, he is one of the great players in the history of all basketball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izyLLQ-jduQ

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2019, 03:32:28 PM »
I agree that Lucas is overlooked. Probably because he was only here two years. But one of the best overall all time? That’s a little much.

BTW that fight with Dawkins was late in game 2 of the series. They ended up losing that game then winning four straight.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2019, 03:39:45 PM »
Luke Walton is named after #20
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2019, 08:19:24 PM »
Luke Walton is named after #20
Lucas on the Mt Rushmore of MU Basketball
                       ---Al McGuire

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2019, 01:53:36 PM »
I agree that Lucas is overlooked. Probably because he was only here two years. But one of the best overall all time? That’s a little much.

BTW that fight with Dawkins was late in game 2 of the series. They ended up losing that game then winning four straight.

Al said it was Lucas that caused him to coin the term "Aircraft Carrier" and it was Lucas that was the prototype enforcer/power forward in the 1970s/1980s.

His #20 was retired by the Trailblazers and he was named to the all-time ABA team. 

He was an important player than transcended his stats and wins.  And it is a travesty every time we talk about the greatest MU players of all time that his name is not immediately mentioned. George Thompson is the other player that also does not get his due.

(Lucas played all forty minutes of the 1974 national championship game scoring 21 points and 13 rebounds.)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2019, 02:04:19 PM »
He was an important player than transcended his stats and wins.  And it is a travesty every time we talk about the greatest MU players of all time that his name is not immediately mentioned. George Thompson is the other player that also does not get his due.

I agree 100% on your thoughts about Lucas.  I don’t get the perception of slights though.  I feel like Lucas is talked about in a positive way on here frequently.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2019, 08:09:21 PM »
Lucas on the Mt Rushmore of MU Basketball

If Lucas had not left in 1974, we probably would have been a strong contender for a repeat appearance in the NatChamp game. He was THAT good. Our starting line-up would have been Bo, Lucas, Earl Tatum, Butch Lee and Lloyd Walton. Lucas would have given us the inside presence to kick butt.

At one point, Marquette was prepared to go to court to get Luke back. After about a month, Lucas said "forget it" and went pro.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2019, 09:28:01 PM »
If Lucas had not left in 1974, we probably would have been a strong contender for a repeat appearance in the NatChamp game. He was THAT good. Our starting line-up would have been Bo, Lucas, Earl Tatum, Butch Lee and Lloyd Walton. Lucas would have given us the inside presence to kick butt.

At one point, Marquette was prepared to go to court to get Luke back. After about a month, Lucas said "forget it" and went pro.

Al didn't think he was ready, didn't think Lucas was that good.  Lucas was ready

http://archive.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/106646423.html

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2019, 09:34:43 PM »
Al didn't think he was ready, didn't think Lucas was that good.  Lucas was ready

http://archive.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/106646423.html

Al was wrong.

feedback