Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Crean and the Teddy Bear Technical  (Read 5070 times)

Sheriff

• Starter
Crean and the Teddy Bear Technical
« on: February 21, 2019, 09:11:45 AM »
Georgia loses on technical free throw after fan throws a stuffed animal on the court with 0.05 left in the game.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/look-georgia-loses-to-mississippi-state-after-fan-tosses-stuffed-animal-onto-court/

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Crean and the Teddy Bear Technical
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 09:13:24 AM »
Already posted
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 09:29:55 AM »
Where?

fjm

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 09:32:15 AM »
Where?

I posted it, probably wrongly, in the “other opponents not doing so well” thread.

Which of course then got side tracked cause people are silly and say dumb things.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 09:33:53 AM »
FWIW, I don't like the T.

Let Crean warn the crowd, as he did. Don't let it decide the game. Heck, do we even know for sure that a Mississippi State fan didn't throw it? And it was a Teddy Bear, not a freakin' rock (though that really isn't the point).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 09:37:52 AM »
Agree

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 09:39:25 AM »
FWIW, I don't like the T.

Let Crean warn the crowd, as he did. Don't let it decide the game. Heck, do we even know for sure that a Mississippi State fan didn't throw it? And it was a Teddy Bear, not a freakin' rock (though that really isn't the point).

Crean did this and post game he said that he thought that would be enough. Still got the T.

And to be correct, they didn’t lose the game because of the T. MSU missed the first FT and then the T was called. So he had one more FT coming w .5 seconds left without the T.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 09:42:14 AM »
Probably bedder dan gettin' clocked in da coconut bye a plant. Weird chit seams ta always happen ta dis schmuck, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 09:52:50 AM »
How many more FT's did Weatherspoon get? Wasn't it just one extra added, which he missed intentionally anyway? If so, I guess it took some pressure of the 2nd FT after missing the first, but the guy hits 82% he was probably gonna make that 2nd FT regardless.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 09:57:49 AM »
How many more FT's did Weatherspoon get? Wasn't it just one extra added, which he missed intentionally anyway? If so, I guess it took some pressure of the 2nd FT after missing the first, but the guy hits 82% he was probably gonna make that 2nd FT regardless.

Yes, game was tied with 1 more FT coming anyway. Technical basically gave him an extra attempt in case he missed the second one.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 09:58:34 AM »
I appreciate those correcting my mistake.

I still think the T was unnecessary, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 10:10:01 AM »
Actually, the article I posted from CBS Sports is misleading as it says "Georgia lost to Mississippi State over a technical foul assessed to the home team. The reason? A stuffed animal was thrown onto the floor"

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 10:20:22 AM »
The stuffed animal was thrown and in the air while he was shooting.  Its a tech every day of the week.  That little bitch tan tommycan cry all he wants, maybe if he wasnt such a crap show and didnt throw his team under the bus during a 11 game conference losing streak the fans would be a little less unruly.  Making a real good first impression this season in Georgia.
This charletons career is nearing its end.  I give the prick 4 more years and his career in the P6 is over.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 10:23:34 AM »
Dumb move by the fans.   Deserved to be a tech.  UGA probably loses anyway.   Very little to do with Crean. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 10:31:41 AM »
Benny's strongly considering scalping a ticket outside the MU section and stopping by the NCAA souvenir stand in Minneapolis to pick up some opposing team swag.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 10:37:34 AM »
Never liked the rule. Imagine a badger fan threw something from the student section during our game. It would of been incredibly stupid.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 10:38:28 AM »
Joani needs to lay out his clothes for him.  He has Brew’s MU blazer and his too long IU red tie on in that still picture. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2019, 10:57:36 AM »
Never liked the rule. Imagine a badger fan threw something from the student section during our game. It would of been incredibly stupid.

not to mention someone has got to notice someone making a throwing motion toward floor and suddenly there appears to be a stuffed animal or whatever sliding across the floor.  i would hope this could be at least taken care of "internally"  or
   turn him over to the cub fans
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2019, 11:00:54 AM »
Ripe for mischief by opposing fans.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 11:05:59 AM »
not to mention someone has got to notice someone making a throwing motion toward floor and suddenly there appears to be a stuffed animal or whatever sliding across the floor.  i would hope this could be at least taken care of "internally"  or
   turn him over to the cub fans

The bartman incident wouldn't even be a close comparison to what would happen if a badger fan pulled that crap in a 1point game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 11:09:03 AM »
MU-UNC, at the MECCA, 1986.    Hard fought game, MU had a lead which it ultimately lost.    UNC player is shooting FT's in the last minute and objects (pennies, IIRC) flew out of the student section towards the Tar Heel players.     At the game, not proud. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 01:23:54 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 12:06:40 PM »
MU-UNC, at the MECCA, 1986.    Hard fought game, MU had a lead which it ultimately lost.    UNC player is shooting FT's in the last minute and objects (pennies, IIRC) flew out of the student section towards the Tar Hell players.     At the game, not proud.

Nah, just sum kidd addin' his 2 scents, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 12:21:42 PM »
Ripe for mischief by opposing fans.

This. If refs are going to indiscriminately T the home team for whatever happens at their arena, opposing fans have no reason not to toss

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 12:32:11 PM »
I tossed a salad or two at the old Bradley.  Never got a tech for it tho.
NH

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2019, 12:34:52 PM »
There’s also discretion that should be used by the ref regarding the situation and whether or not THAT call should have been made right THEN.

I mean issuing a crowd warning would have been fine at that point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2019, 01:55:28 PM »
Not mentioned, what kind of creep brings a teddy bear to a UGA basketball game?  Did he rip it out of his kid's hands and toss it or was it his date? 

Creepy

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2019, 01:57:49 PM »
There’s also discretion that should be used by the ref regarding the situation and whether or not THAT call should have been made right THEN.

I mean issuing a crowd warning would have been fine at that point.

How many referees do u think actually like or can tolerate Tom Crean?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2019, 01:59:02 PM »
Not mentioned, what kind of creep brings a teddy bear to a UGA basketball game?  Did he rip it out of his kid's hands and toss it or was it his date? 

Creepy

Maybe it was crean's kid throwing the bear??

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 02:04:20 PM »
Maybe it was crean's kid throwing the bear??

Maybe it was Crean's bear?  That's why he got so pissed.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2019, 02:14:51 PM »

Creepy

Maybe they thought they were attending an ice skating competition.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2019, 02:32:42 PM »
It was a stuffed Georgia Bulldog.  Could've bought it at the team store with the intention of bringing it home to a child or something but got so heated he (or she) threw it on the court.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2019, 05:24:59 PM »
MU-UNC, at the MECCA, 1986.    Hard fought game, MU had a lead which it ultimately lost.    UNC player is shooting FT's in the last minute and objects (pennies, IIRC) flew out of the student section towards the Tar Heel players.     At the game, not proud.

and in the first half a fan (probably a student) had a whistle and was blowing it, leading Majerus to address the crowd. That was the first time I'd heard of Marquette and Rick's class act stuck with me.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2019, 05:29:30 PM »
The stuffed animal was thrown and in the air while he was shooting.  Its a tech every day of the week.  That little bitch tan tommycan cry all he wants, maybe if he wasnt such a crap show and didnt throw his team under the bus during a 11 game conference losing streak the fans would be a little less unruly.  Making a real good first impression this season in Georgia.
This charletons career is nearing its end.  I give the prick 4 more years and his career in the P6 is over.
Even if you are correct on 4 more years, he should have by then salted away plenty of sheckels. Isn't Indiana still paying him? And he can always earn money hanging out with the Harbaughs.

I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2019, 05:30:42 PM »

Yeah, getting the #2 player in the nation, the highest ranked Georgia kid to stay home in years, along with 2 four star kids (#68 and #95 nationally), sure is a sign that his career is on a downward spiral. SMH.

And even if he is gone four more years I'd say he has $16 million reasons (just from this contract) not to cry about it
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2019, 06:12:58 PM »
Crean sucks*

*No Google translator needed, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2019, 06:12:34 AM »
Yeah, getting the #2 player in the nation, the highest ranked Georgia kid to stay home in years, along with 2 four star kids (#68 and #95 nationally), sure is a sign that his career is on a downward spiral. SMH.

And even if he is gone four more years I'd say he has $16 million reasons (just from this contract) not to cry about it

Tom Crean never crys, he just rolls up his sleeves and works harder.  $16 million doesnt not make him a total jack ass and a social moron.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2019, 09:18:30 AM »
Probably bedder dan gettin' clocked in da coconut bye a plant. Weird chit seams ta always happen ta dis schmuck, aina?
Crean sucks*

*No Google translator needed, aina?
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2019, 09:53:27 AM »
I tossed a salad or two at the old Bradley.  Never got a tech for it tho.
NH

I tossed my cookies at the Arena once.  In the men's room. During the 59-60 season.  I think.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

feedback