[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

NIL Future by PointWarrior
[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Changing the College BBall Schedule - Bring on May Madness!  (Read 8401 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Changing the College BBall Schedule - Bring on May Madness!
« on: February 19, 2019, 06:55:03 AM »
Bring on May Madness
Erik Buchinger - February 11, 2019
http://deceptivespeed.com/fixing-the-college-basketball-schedule/

College basketball overlaps with the NFL and college football far too much, and it shouldn’t be that way. Every weekend is dominated by football from Labor Day through the first week of February. America loves football. It’s what we do. Instead of trying to fight it by doing the same thing year after year, college basketball should make a drastic change to its schedule.

College basketball starts in early November and ends in early April. A five-month season essentially turns into a one-month season because it spent the majority of its time competing with a superior product.

Start the college basketball regular season on the first Thursday after New Years. College basketball did a great job opening the season with a bang this year with the Champions Classic involving some of the top programs in the country. Do that exact same thing to create some buzz right out of the gate.

The first month of the season should be dedicated to the non-conference portion of the schedule. Die hards hoops junkies will be watching the Big Ten-ACC Challenge and other exciting non-conference events, but by the time we get to life post-Super Bowl, we’ll be ready to roll with conference play.

But what about our beloved March Madness? To hell with your March Madness. It’s May Madness now.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

tower912

• All American
Re: Changing the College BBall Schedule - Bring on May Madness!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 06:57:27 AM »
I would rather they switch the Super Bowl to Saturday.   If we are just talking  random ideas to start a conversation.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 07:00:20 AM »
I would rather they switch the Super Bowl to Saturday.   If we are just talking  random ideas to start a conversation.

So then we are into June Madness?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 07:04:52 AM »
So then we are into June Madness?

By playing the Super Bowl a day earlier?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 07:10:56 AM »
Misread, I thought he meant to start the college bball season the day after the Superbowl

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 07:11:33 AM »
If it ain’t broke....

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 07:22:17 AM »
Why compete with the NBA playoffs?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 07:27:17 AM »

This plus NHL playoffs. Plus every school that isn't on quarters will have finals and graduations to deal with. I'd be pissed if it was between seeing my school in the final four or even elite 8 vs attending my graduation. I could see an argument moving the start back one month but not more than that.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 07:39:27 AM »
This plus NHL playoffs. Plus every school that isn't on quarters will have finals and graduations to deal with. I'd be pissed if it was between seeing my school in the final four or even elite 8 vs attending my graduation. I could see an argument moving the start back one month but not more than that.

But you're ok with your college football team's bowl game conflicting with winter finals and December graduation?

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 07:41:53 AM »

This plus NHL playoffs.

But it is ok to compete with the last few weeks of the college football season, the entire bowl season, the national championship, the end of the NFL season and some of the NFL playoffs?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 07:44:09 AM »
But it is ok to compete with the last few weeks of the college football season, the entire bowl season, the national championship, the end of the NFL season and some of the NFL playoffs?

The Tournament doesn’t compete with anything. And that’s where college basketball makes its coin. Why have the most valuable part of the season compete with multiple other sports for the sake of a less valuable part?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 07:50:12 AM »
But you're ok with your college football team's bowl game conflicting with winter finals and December graduation?

Literally couldn't give 2 crapes about CFB. Also haven't a decent amount of schools gotten rid of December graduation and just tell people they'll walk in spring?

Also doesn't bowl season start the week after most finals let out?
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 07:57:19 AM »
Seriously, though, don't change it.  It is part of the marking of the changing of the season.   And for me, all football is something that fills time between baseball and college basketball season.  Something I watch when nothing else is on and there isn't anywhere I have to be.   Waiting an extra 6-8 weeks would be torture.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 07:59:40 AM »

So compete with 40 meaningless college football bowl games and then a couple hours on Saturday and Sunday vs. competing with games every night throughout the entire week.  Tough choice.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

SqueallyDRyan

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 08:21:00 AM »
College football does nothing to distract me from college hoops. Keep it the way it is.
It's not the size of your Diener; its how you use it

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 08:28:23 AM »
They are already going up against opening day in baseball this year during the Sweet 16 games with MLB starting a few days earlier this year. Not sure how that is going to affect the viewers but it will. Opening day for baseball is very important across the country. As someone who is a die hard baseball fan this is almost like a National Holiday for me.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 08:31:09 AM by HowardsWorld »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 08:32:26 AM »
This is beyond dumb and ignores the realities of the tv sports schedule where all the money comes from.

So what if preseason college b-ball games overlap with college bowl games....a giant yawn.  College basketball owns March....owns it.  In May the would go up against NBA playoffs, baseball is underway, NHL playoffs, PGA in full swing.  Silly by any stretch.

Most college bowl games start after finals, so that is a red herring.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 08:37:07 AM »

1. I don't give a rat's behind about college football
2. A college football bowl game is a single game, not a tournament
3. I think 99% of graduations and finals are completed before all but the first day of bowl games (there's a specific delay between the end of the season and bowl games to allow for finals/graduation)
4. December graduation is a lot smaller than spring graduation
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 08:37:52 AM »
This is beyond dumb and ignores the realities of the tv sports schedule where all the money comes from.

So what if preseason college b-ball games overlap with college bowl games....a giant yawn.  College basketball owns March....owns it.  In May the would go up against NBA playoffs, baseball is underway, NHL playoffs, PGA in full swing.  Silly by any stretch.

Exactly. I love college basketball and am not really a fan of the NBA. I feel there is a giant divide when it comes to college basketball vs NBA. You like one or the other not both. But I am a realist and if they think March Madness could go up against the NBA playoffs they are going to get smoked. In terms of advertisement dollars there is no chance a company spends the kind of money on commercials they do in march if they are competing with the NBA playoffs.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 08:42:00 AM by HowardsWorld »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 08:45:15 AM »
Zero percent chance of happening.

Might as well have posted an article headlined, "Unicorns should replace humans as college basketball players," and asked us to discuss it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 08:54:06 AM »
Exactly. I love college basketball and am not really a fan of the NBA. I feel there is a giant divide when it comes to college basketball vs NBA. You like one or the other not both. But I am a realist and if they think March Madness could go up against the NBA playoffs they are going to get smoked. In terms of advertisement dollars there is no chance a company spends the kind of money on commercials they do in march if they are competing with the NBA playoffs.

The divide is real.  We have done plenty of customer overlays during the years of ncaa b-ball fans vs nba, the overlap isn’t very strong.....significantly smaller than college football and nfl overlap.  NBA and ncaa hoops is just a different game played on same court, and a large percentage of fans of one aren’t hopped up over the other.  However, as you state, the college fan will pay attention mildly to the NBA come playoff time....they don’t during reg season.  No need to split their viewing priorities...this is just a very bad idea all the way around.  NEVER going to happen. NEVER.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 08:59:28 AM »
Yeah, pretty weak argument.  There is minimal overlap since college football is essentially over in early December with the conference championship games.  Then it's a bunch of meaningless bowl games until the few that actually draw a national audience for a few days around New Years.

As for the NFL, sure it owns January...for a few hours on Saturdays and Sundays for the handful of teams that are still playing.  And it's popularity is declining. 

College hoops slots in perfectly as it starts at the end of baseball season, ramps up as the football is ending and then finishes before the NBA and NHL playoffs and the Masters and just as MLB starts up again.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 09:03:13 AM »

So, go to 96 teams and add another week to the tournament?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 09:08:35 AM »
So, go to 96 teams and add another week to the tournament?

I don’t mind expansion, but get rid of NIT if you do that.  Most will be against this idea....that’s fine.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 09:10:51 AM »
So compete with 40 meaningless college football bowl games and then a couple hours on Saturday and Sunday vs. competing with games every night throughout the entire week.  Tough choice.

Except those meaningless bowl games will get better TV rating than this weekend's Duke/UNC game.