[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Which would you prefer?

BET - closing the season on a tear the best path to NCAA success!
48 (30.2%)
Regular Season - Gotta respect the body of work.
110 (69.2%)
Neither - Either is a banner from silly season that distracts from the real prize.
1 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 159

Author Topic: BET or Regular Season Championship?  (Read 6676 times)

HowardsWorld

• All American
Re: BET or Regular Season Championship?
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 09:24:14 AM »
The only team I can think of that went on a solid run after winning their tournament was 2011 Uconn. They didn't look like they would make it out of the 1st weekend let alone win the whole thing prior to winning the BET tournament.. After running through the BET they received a 3 seed and went on to win the title. Other than that I can't recall a team that wasn't already a top team go on a run like that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 09:45:13 AM »
Not that Nova's loss last night really changes anything as we probably still need to beat them to win the regular season title but, if you had to chose, what would you value more - a regular season crown or winning the BET?

For me it's all about what better predicts NCAA success. Going back to 05-06 (because who cares about the BE pre-Marquette) there have been 8 years in which the regular season champ and BET champ were different.

06 BET Syracuse (5 seed, lost 1st round), RSC Nova (1 seed, lost in EE), UConn (1 seed, lost in EE)

08 BET Pitt (4 seed, lost 2nd round), RSC Gtown (2 seed, lost 2nd round)

10 BET WV (2 seed, lost FF), RSC Cuse (1 seed, lost SS)

11 BET UConn (3 seed, National Champs), RSC Pitt (1 seed, lost 2nd round)

12 BET Louisville (4 seed, lost FF), RSC Cuse (1 seed, lost EE)

14 BET Prov (11 seed, lost 1st round), RSC Nova (2 seed, lost 2nd round)

16 BET Hall (6 seed, lost 1st round), RSC Nova (2 seed, national champs).

2010-2012 BET champs had good runs. RSCs that didn't win BET all under-performed to seed expect 2016 Nova. Gotta say slight edge to BET - better to come in hot!

2018 BET Villanova (1seed) - NCAA Champion, RSC Champ Xavier (1 seed) lost in 2nd round

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 09:52:38 AM »
I think Marquette can win both. I really don't see anyone outside of Marquette or Nova winning the tournament. I know many are high on St. Johns but if I had to be honest I would say that win yesterday for them was more lucky than it was skill. Nova got complacent when they got up by 19. When St. Johns got it close Booth looked like he never shot a basketball before. Not that I think St. Johns isn't a good team but Nova hadn't lost a game up 19 in 5 years, yesterday was just the perfect storm.

Not saying the Johnnies can’t win the BET but I’d say it’s a hell of a lot harder when you only really have 7 guys playing significant minutes.  Those guys are going to have to wear out at some point during the week.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 10:31:24 AM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 10:34:26 AM »

No half measures, 'eh?

Just making sure we aren't aiming too low.   ;D
Have some patience, FFS.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2019, 10:37:49 AM »
I've seen MU win the conference regular season. I haven't seen them win the BET. So I want to see them win the BET.

That’s where I’m at.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 11:01:06 AM »
The only team I can think of that went on a solid run after winning their tournament was 2011 Uconn. They didn't look like they would make it out of the 1st weekend let alone win the whole thing prior to winning the BET tournament.. After running through the BET they received a 3 seed and went on to win the title. Other than that I can't recall a team that wasn't already a top team go on a run like that.

Louisville won the big east tournament in 2013 and then won the national championship. Yeah, I know it’s vacated but they still won the games
Bring back FFP!!!

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2019, 11:43:54 AM »
How can you all possibly say regular season and the "body of work" is superior to a BET Championship but then in the same sentence say you'd prefer the NCAA Championship? Completely illogical.
It is clearly:

NCAA Championship > BET Championship > Regular Season Champs

No argument.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 12:33:09 PM »
How can you all possibly say regular season and the "body of work" is superior to a BET Championship but then in the same sentence say you'd prefer the NCAA Championship? Completely illogical.
It is clearly:

NCAA Championship > BET Championship > Regular Season Champs

No argument.
Fixed if for you

NCAA Championship > Regular Season Champs   > BET Championship

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 12:34:07 PM »
BET. It's a no brainer and anyone who says or votes otherwise is wrong.

Did I mention I'm going to my first BET this year? That may have swayed my vote.  ;D

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 12:40:36 PM »
BET. It's a no brainer and anyone who says or votes otherwise is wrong.

Did I mention I'm going to my first BET this year? That may have swayed my vote.  ;D

FIFY  ;)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2019, 12:46:22 PM »
Ive always been about the regular season title. It’s far more difficult to be really good for 18 games rather than as few as 3.

That said, I would really like to see 1 BE tourney title. Would just be fun to see us win on Saturday night at MSG in prime time.

For personal enjoyment I’d definitely be ok seeing the BE tourney title instead this year, but it’s not the better accomplishment
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2019, 12:47:47 PM »
Fixed if for you

NCAA Championship > Regular Season Champs   > BET Championship

Did you read my post? I said no argument!

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2019, 09:13:59 PM »
Went with the BET assuming that we'll be seeded either #1 or #2. I agree that the regular season represents a bigger body of work but I  want to see them do well (let's face it, for a change) on the big MSG stage.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2019, 10:00:57 PM »
If we were in the habit of winning conference titles on a regular basis, a la Villanova, I think I would be more interested in a regular season title.  The regular season crown would show that the team was top flight and looked good going into the NCAAs.  So we crap out in NYC....in the long run that doesn't matter.

But we're not.  We've been in this league for 15 years and have a single conference regular season crown (that we shared 3-ways), but have lots of good near-the-top seasons.  Weve had good NCAA runs.

But we have exactly ONE appearance in the Big East tournament semifinals (in 2008...coincidentally the last time I was there). I want to see us play on Saturday in NYC and bring home a trophy.  Do that, and I'm ok with finishing a game behind Nova in the standings and/or exiting early (but not too early) in the NCAAs.  Get some hardware!

Old timers can correct me if I'm wrong, but Marquette has NEVER won a conference tournament in the Great Midwest, CUSA, or BE?  We gotta get one!

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2019, 10:11:58 PM »
Old timers can correct me if I'm wrong, but Marquette has NEVER won a conference tournament in the Great Midwest, CUSA, or BE?  We gotta get one!

Marquette won the 1997 Conference USA tournament as the 5 seed. I believe that’s the only one.

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2019, 10:41:03 PM »
Marquette won the 1997 Conference USA tournament as the 5 seed. I believe that’s the only one.

I didn't watch that so it might as well not have happened. Win the damn tournament!
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2019, 11:01:52 PM »

I was there, pretty amazing in St Louis....a great run for four days, but a few days later Austin Croshere and Providence put the wood to us 81-59 in the NCAA tournament.  Deanne got kicked out of the game, he got into CM Newton’s face and that earned him a suspension if I recall.

Got to spend some time Faisal Abraham’s dad who was super cool.  RIP.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2019, 11:23:56 PM »
Win the regular season, have fun in NYC and then be ready for what really matters!

And seriously, how can the winner of the BEAST NOT be on the 2 line?
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

1SE

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2019, 01:35:31 AM »
If we were in the habit of winning conference titles on a regular basis, a la Villanova, I think I would be more interested in a regular season title.  The regular season crown would show that the team was top flight and looked good going into the NCAAs.  So we crap out in NYC....in the long run that doesn't matter.

But we're not.  We've been in this league for 15 years and have a single conference regular season crown (that we shared 3-ways), but have lots of good near-the-top seasons.  Weve had good NCAA runs.

But we have exactly ONE appearance in the Big East tournament semifinals (in 2008...coincidentally the last time I was there). I want to see us play on Saturday in NYC and bring home a trophy.  Do that, and I'm ok with finishing a game behind Nova in the standings and/or exiting early (but not too early) in the NCAAs.  Get some hardware!

Interesting take but I would take an extra win in the NCAA over a BET title any day. Only one tournament that matters.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2019, 02:07:45 AM »
Interesting take but I would take an extra win in the NCAA over a BET title any day. Only one tournament that matters.

If you can only have one, either a Big East Tournament title or a second round game in the NCAA tourney (but no Sweet 16) which do you pick? I think 5 years down the road, few would remember the team that won a single NCAA game, but everyone would remember the first BET title.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2019, 05:52:23 AM »

Fake News

We made it in 2008 (lost to Pitt) and 2010 (Lost to Georgetown)

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2019, 06:15:28 AM »
Fake News

We made it in 2008 (lost to Pitt) and 2010 (Lost to Georgetown)

Fine...TWO in fifteen years.  And not a single appearance on Saturday night.  That’s what I want!

1SE

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2019, 06:27:08 AM »
If you can only have one, either a Big East Tournament title or a second round game in the NCAA tourney (but no Sweet 16) which do you pick? I think 5 years down the road, few would remember the team that won a single NCAA game, but everyone would remember the first BET title.

Can’t win the second game if you don’t win the first.

But there’s something to the point - but I think it depends on the seed. If we lose in the second round as a 2 or 3 seed I think we’ll remember it for a long time(and FIRE WOJO!!!). If we win the BET and then lost in the second round as a 10 seed I think you’re right, we’d remember the BET title.

We might also remember the BET title just because it would be the first. You always remember the first. If it was like our 5th or 6th it might just get lost in the sands of time.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

feedback