[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UCLA  (Read 49455 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: UCLA
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2019, 10:14:49 AM »
  do we really live in this sexually charged of a world where no one can control themselves and almost worse, no one can see the wrong in it until it has escalated to the levels it has?

ok, back to UCLA-john wooden should help them out a little, unless he isn't thoroughly disgusted with the direction his school has taken
don't...don't don't don't don't

nyg

• All American
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2019, 10:17:29 AM »
Not just the priests, the next big thing to come out...

https://nypost.com/2019/02/16/inside-the-horrifying-unspoken-world-of-sexually-abusive-nuns/

Sorry, but what does the Roman Catholic Church and pedophilia have in common with the coaching vacancy at UCLA.  Really?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #202 on: February 17, 2019, 10:19:29 AM »
Sorry, but what does the Roman Catholic Church and pedophilia have in common with the coaching vacancy at UCLA.  Really?

It doesn’t, I was responding to MULTIPLE posts about the subject already in this thread.  I agree, shouldn’t be in this thread, but was in there before I responded to them.  Guilty of responding.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #203 on: February 17, 2019, 10:27:51 AM »
  do we really live in this sexually charged of a world where no one can control themselves and almost worse, no one can see the wrong in it until it has escalated to the levels it has?

No we don't. But that doesn't stop people from using it as an excuse. So the next time you hear someone dismiss an allegation because "boys will be boys" or "look at how she was dressed or acting, what did she think was going to happen?" call BS on them. I have seen some nice pairs of legs in mini skirts before, never a pair so good that I lost all control and had to have sex with that person that second. It's an insulting insinuation really that as men we has so little control over ourselves.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #204 on: February 17, 2019, 10:29:39 AM »
It doesn’t, I was responding to MULTIPLE posts about the subject already in this thread.  I agree, shouldn’t be in this thread, but was in there before I responded to them.  Guilty of responding.

Yeah, I get it, especially the "multiple posts aspect", but this place has been going rather insane with off topic, thread derailing issues in the past six months.  Social issues, blowhard mouthing off, you name it, we've seen it.  Many posters have requested over and over again to please stop and it just continues.  Don't want to be any sort of "mod guy", but when I start reading about arguments over the UCLA coaching vacancy, which was great and then see child molesting and cover ups, just don't get it.  Maybe someday it will stop and the threads will return to their respective topics like they used to be many years ago. And as I post, it continues.......

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2019, 10:32:12 AM »
I saw this thread jumped to 9 pages long and figured Wojo resigned and is moving to Westwood....

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2019, 10:39:26 AM »
or it's just an online.persona who gets a kick out.of getting under.peoples skins.

He's the ultimate edgelord. Putting all his personae on ignore and scrolling past all the posts without responding was the best decision I ever made.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #207 on: February 17, 2019, 10:41:41 AM »
Yeah, I get it, especially the "multiple posts aspect", but this place has been going rather insane with off topic, thread derailing issues in the past six months.  Social issues, blowhard mouthing off, you name it, we've seen it.  Many posters have requested over and over again to please stop and it just continues.  Don't want to be any sort of "mod guy", but when I start reading about arguments over the UCLA coaching vacancy, which was great and then see child molesting and cover ups, just don't get it.  Maybe someday it will stop and the threads will return to their respective topics like they used to be many years ago. And as I post, it continues.......

Last six months? You must be new here.

I understand why it is annoying but personally, I view each thread as a conversation. Sometimes conversations jump on and off topic. You ever had one of those conversations where you just stop and try to remember how you got from point A to point Z in a conversation?

Definitely agree we can go without the blowhard mouthing off, I'm certain I'm guilty of it
TAMU

nyg

• All American
« Reply #208 on: February 17, 2019, 10:51:31 AM »

I understand why it is annoying but personally, I view each thread as a conversation. Sometimes conversations jump on and off topic. You ever had one of those conversations where you just stop and try to remember how you got from point A to point Z in a conversation?

Definitely agree we can go without the blowhard mouthing off, I'm certain I'm guilty of it

Yes, I am new, just joined a month ago. 

Sometimes conversations jump?  Just look at almost every thread, it comes down to a Chicos/Ners conversation to social issues to anything not relevant to the topic. Most posters want to read about the subject topic, not the jump topic.  When I saw the child molesting subject, I felt it was required to jump in and advise I really don't want to read about it here and I really hope others felt the same. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #209 on: February 17, 2019, 12:39:01 PM »

well stated tamu.   i'll bet you can go thru almost every thread that zigs and zags on, off and around the original subject matter. i believe the board as a whole can regulate itself pretty good.  weird how some can get so worked up about it-just skip it, change the channel and move on. 

don't...don't don't don't don't

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #210 on: February 17, 2019, 01:25:50 PM »
This whole string demostrates why the board is better without Chicos, just sayin
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #211 on: February 17, 2019, 01:54:56 PM »
Three options.   1.   Roll your eyes extensively hoping for that one occasional nugget worth reading.   2.   The ignore function.   3.   Sit back and do your own internal countdown until he implodes again and gets banned.    Again.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #212 on: February 17, 2019, 01:55:49 PM »
This whole string demostrates why the board is better without Chicos, just sayin

I agree he can derail threads, but in my opinion folks derail more threads talking about Chicos than he derails threads himself.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #213 on: February 17, 2019, 02:16:53 PM »
I agree he can derail threads, but in my opinion folks derail more threads talking about Chicos than he derails threads himself.

THIS

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #214 on: February 17, 2019, 02:47:59 PM »

+2
TAMU

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #215 on: February 17, 2019, 04:04:42 PM »

SandKnit has a special thing for me for many years.  I'm just glad he is better healthwise now, and I sincerely mean that.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #216 on: February 17, 2019, 04:05:55 PM »
Superbar, hey?
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #217 on: February 17, 2019, 07:05:51 PM »
I don't know the statistics on the kid-diddling exploits of non-Catholic clergy, but there sure have been tons of abuses -- sexual and otherwise -- perpetrated by leaders of other Christian faiths. Some d-bag Jewish clergy over the years, too.

There is nothing quite as evil as a person who is in a position of authority and trust -- not to mention a person who regularly judges others because they aren't godly enough -- being a d-bag himself (or herself, if applicable).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #218 on: February 17, 2019, 08:33:41 PM »

+3
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #219 on: February 17, 2019, 09:00:16 PM »
I don't know the statistics on the kid-diddling exploits of non-Catholic clergy, but there sure have been tons of abuses -- sexual and otherwise -- perpetrated by leaders of other Christian faiths. Some d-bag Jewish clergy over the years, too.

There is nothing quite as evil as a person who is in a position of authority and trust -- not to mention a person who regularly judges others because they aren't godly enough -- being a d-bag himself (or herself, if applicable).

New York Times has an eye opening article today about the Catholic clergy.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #220 on: February 17, 2019, 09:19:08 PM »
ND sucks

MU82

• All American
« Reply #221 on: February 17, 2019, 09:22:32 PM »
New York Times has an eye opening article today about the Catholic clergy.

Yep.

But again, it's not just the Catholics. A few folks have suggested that letting priests get frisky would somehow solve these problems but there are massive abuses taking place even by clergy who already are allowed to get frisky.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #222 on: February 18, 2019, 09:04:35 AM »
Getting a little bit back on topic, the UCLA opening doesn't necessarily concern me (I think Hoiberg gets it).  However, aside from Duke in a few years, one place that I could see Wojo leaving for is Maryland.  Turgeon is good (and clearly a good recruiter), but his teams definitely underperform come tourney time.  He's gotten them as far as the S16 only once in his 8 years at MD.  If they don't go far this year, and next year brings more of the same, I think his job is on the line . 

I get it, College Park is not Baltimore, but it's close.  MD pays well and has a good fanbase.  And whether we like it or not, I think there's more of an allure to coaching in the Big 10 or ACC than in the Big East.  If MU makes a good run this year and (hopefully) next, Wojo will clearly be high on a lot of lists.  It's a nice problem to have, but I'm not so sure Duke is the only realistic suitor.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #223 on: February 18, 2019, 09:11:03 AM »
Getting a little bit back on topic, the UCLA opening doesn't necessarily concern me (I think Hoiberg gets it).  However, aside from Duke in a few years, one place that I could see Wojo leaving for is Maryland.  Turgeon is good (and clearly a good recruiter), but his teams definitely underperform come tourney time.  He's gotten them as far as the S16 only once in his 8 years at MD.  If they don't go far this year, and next year brings more of the same, I think his job is on the line . 

I get it, College Park is not Baltimore, but it's close.  MD pays well and has a good fanbase.  And whether we like it or not, I think there's more of an allure to coaching in the Big 10 or ACC than in the Big East.  If MU makes a good run this year and (hopefully) next, Wojo will clearly be high on a lot of lists.  It's a nice problem to have, but I'm not so sure Duke is the only realistic suitor.

This certainly is realistic, SI.

However, none of us can know what Wojo is thinking in these scenarios. There are guys like Wright and Few who ain't going anywhere despite being at schools that could be seen as "lesser" than those in the ACC, BT or B12. Maybe Wojo fancies himself as the next Jay Wright, content to build and maintain a national powerhouse at a great basketball school outside the P5. Or maybe he's looking for the first opportunity to jump to a job like Duke, Maryland, or any of several other "big-time" jobs. Or it could be somewhere between those extremes.

I guess it's "fun" to speculate, though.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #224 on: February 18, 2019, 09:15:26 AM »
For giggles I went to Duke board and they also had Brad Stevens high on list.  Some had Wojo, some had other Duke coaching tree including Capel.