Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A Win. Trust in the bench  (Read 6729 times)

MULaw14

• Walk-On
Re: A Win. Trust in the bench
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 10:18:31 PM »
Honestly not as worried about Joey as some here have mentioned lately... he’s a freshman, downturns are bound to happen.

Obviously not mentioned here by myself, but I remember being plenty vocal in the stands at how terrible Sam’s post game was last year (one of his few weaknesses at the time IMO). Watching his back down mid-range game tonight, and the majority of this season, goes to show how much can change over one offseason. Theo’s defense is another prime example.

Joey is going to evolve into an all-around great inside out player when it’s all said and done. I look forward to the game (and Scoop comments) when he finally captures that swagger and never looks back.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 10:20:19 PM »
Long time reader, innagural post.

Best ball movement I’ve seen all year. By far.

Theo’s weak-side help / shot blocking is just as fun to watch as Markus. Wow.

Loved the WAM chants filling the arena at the end.

You could tell Ed wanted a big night playing back home. He delivered.

A 2 seed might still be in play if we sweep @Nova and a BEast Tournament final appearance happens.

Rest up, get Sam an eye patch. See you in 8 days, Butler.
Right on Law14....right on.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 10:22:17 PM »
There were actually some DePaul fans that thought the refs were screwing the Blue Demons.  Warriors in total control throughout.  What is latest on Sam Hauser? 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 10:37:45 PM »
Nice W.

DePaul is pretty good. Reed is man, and they have some other very nice senior pieces. Too bad they didn’t play a little better in non con.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2019, 05:16:28 AM »
I had predicted this as (one of) our WTF? losses.

Very glad it wasn't.

Respect to DePaul for improving.
Still waiting for one of those.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2019, 06:14:11 AM »
With competent officiating this is easily a 30+ point W. Feels good to womp a team on the road. Proud of our boys tonight.

+1.  This crew was widely inconsistent.  Wojo was about ready to pop a buttton 3-4 times. Teams are muscling Markus and the Hausers and they are busy calling feather touches on the bigs. 

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2019, 06:38:04 AM »
Now I’m hoping we don’t have any.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2019, 08:37:17 AM »

St. John's at home?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2019, 08:59:46 AM »
When was the last time we had more blocked shots than turnovers?  If we only turn the ball over 6 times per, we're not going to lose very many games.

Also, was watching at a bar that had a live band so the game was muted.  What was the deal with that review in the first half after that mix up between Theo and (Gage?)?  The only replays they showed only had the start of it in frame.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:01:50 AM by Its DJOver »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2019, 09:04:21 AM »
trying to  erase Dickie's commentary out of my memory, but he was praising the DePaul player and saying Theo was pushing him around...uh OK? Maybe that is why Theo gets called for so many touch fouls. Dickie has an influence.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2019, 09:17:56 AM »
When was the last time we had more blocked shots than turnovers?  If we only turn the ball over 6 times per, we're not going to lose very many games.

Also, was watching at a bar that had a live band so the game was muted.  What was the deal with that review in the first half after that mix up between Theo and (Gage?)? The only replays they showed only had the start of it in frame.

That happened RIGHT in front of us.  My limited view (haven't seen any replay) is that the DePaul guy on the ground (Gage?) tried to grab and impede Theo as he was about to head down the court on defense so it wouldn't be a 5 on 4.  Theo clearly took pretty serious offense but, as usual, calmed himself in a nanosecond as the ref called the foul on the DePaul player.  I think they went to the monitor simply to see if Theo crushed his skull in retaliation.  Out on Cermak away from the court, that punk would have been a dead man.

DePaul was incredibly physical all night.  Our guys did a fine job of maintaining composure.  The only way they beat us is by turning it into a brawl.  Frankly, the officials let way too much go on the DePaul end.  I'm told (away from us so couldn't see) Sammy got hit like 3 times before they finally injured him.  Inexcusable.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:26:50 AM by jsglow »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2019, 09:26:37 AM »
Another observation.  For a top 5-6 POY candidate, Markus gets very few calls.  He got absolutely mugged on a few possessions and the refs kept the whistles in their pockets.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2019, 09:27:20 AM »
That happened RIGHT in front of us.  My limited view (haven't seen any replay) is that the DePaul guy on the ground (Gage?) tried to grab and impede Theo as he was about to head down the court on offense so it wouldn't be a 5 on 4.  Theo clearly took pretty serious offense but, as usual, calmed himself in a nanosecond as the ref called the foul on the DePaul player.  I think they went to the monitor simply to see if Theo crushed his skull in retaliation.  Out on Cermak away from the court, that punk would have been a dead man.

Glow and I were behind one of the baskets. A couple of guys in DePaul sweatshirts behind us were acting like first-class a-holes.
A minute or two into the game, one of them shouted at Theo, "Just foul out again already! " Theo shot him a look that would have made that guy pee his pants if the two of them were standing out on Cermak Avenue.

Glow family have a history of Cermak brawls?

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2019, 09:28:29 AM »
I noticed 3 times when Wojo was screaming at Bailey for being out of position as they got into their sets. Even for a freshman, you'd hope to have that cut way down by mid-February.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 09:29:20 AM »
Another observation.  For a top 5-6 POY candidate, Markus gets very few calls.  He got absolutely mugged on a few possessions and the refs kept the whistles in their pockets.

Another area of his game that he can improve on.  He needs to 'force' the whistle.  When you're five foot nuthin' it'll always be a challenge.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2019, 09:30:33 AM »
Glow family have a history of Cermak brawls?

Ha! Nope, but I'm taking Theo and Ed with me.  I do the yappin', they do the enforcin'.   :)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 09:33:51 AM »
I noticed 3 times when Wojo was screaming at Bailey for being out of position as they got into their sets. Even for a freshman, you'd hope to have that cut way down by mid-February.

Yep.  There was a point in the second half when Brendan and Cain were in the game together.  Brendan was playing in the 'Joey/Sam' spot but went to his 'traditional' assignment where Cain properly was.  Neither Wojo nor Markus were pleased at all and both let him know vociferously.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2019, 10:07:46 AM »
Ha! Nope, but I'm taking Theo and Ed with me.  I do the yappin', they do the enforcin'.   :)

I'd take Ed in a heartbeat. Dude is from Englewood, he doesn't need to do any talking.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2019, 10:36:11 AM »
St. John's at home?

I'd rate that more as simply "losing one we should have won" vs. a "WTF loss."

To me, the latter implies an inexplicable loss to a team considered much worse -- kind of like Nova falling to Furman or Michigan just losing yesterday to Penn State. After seeing each of those scores, I literally said, "What the ----?!?!?"

We should have beaten St. John's at home, but I don't think too many were absolutely shocked that we lost.

Semantics, I know. Others may disagree.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2019, 10:38:42 AM »
That happened RIGHT in front of us.  My limited view (haven't seen any replay) is that the DePaul guy on the ground (Gage?) tried to grab and impede Theo as he was about to head down the court on defense so it wouldn't be a 5 on 4.  Theo clearly took pretty serious offense but, as usual, calmed himself in a nanosecond as the ref called the foul on the DePaul player.  I think they went to the monitor simply to see if Theo crushed his skull in retaliation.  Out on Cermak away from the court, that punk would have been a dead man.

DePaul was incredibly physical all night.  Our guys did a fine job of maintaining composure.  The only way they beat us is by turning it into a brawl.  Frankly, the officials let way too much go on the DePaul end.  I'm told (away from us so couldn't see) Sammy got hit like 3 times before they finally injured him.  Inexcusable.

I was on your side of the court as well. I was impressed with theo's composure. That said, when Gage tried to step up to Theo, it made it clear that Theo is much, much bigger.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.