[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: DePaul trap  (Read 5021 times)

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
DePaul trap
« on: February 12, 2019, 01:12:05 PM »
Since we joined the Big East no team has deviled us more than lowly DePaul. We have had more stinking losses to them than anyone else.

I fear the outcome of today's game.

warriorchick

• All American
Re: DePaul trap
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 01:15:22 PM »
kitten.
Have some patience, FFS.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 01:18:23 PM »
Weve lost to Depaul more than Villanova?

leever

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 01:27:23 PM »
Since we joined the Big East no team has deviled us more than lowly DePaul. We have had more stinking losses to them than anyone else.

I fear the outcome of today's game.
fake news

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 01:38:07 PM »
I think I know what Crash is saying here.

It's not that we've lost more to DePaul than to others, it's that we've lost to cruddy DePaul teams we're better than more than we've lost to other cruddy teams. And some of the losses, such as last year's, were absolutely devastating in terms of how they affected our season.

I'm not a big "worrier" about stuff I can't control, but I admit this is one that scares me. Unlike some of the gawdawful DePaul teams we've lost to in recent seasons, this one isn't bad.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 01:51:09 PM »
I think I know what Crash is saying here.

It's not that we've lost more to DePaul than to others, it's that we've lost to cruddy DePaul teams we're better than more than we've lost to other cruddy teams. And some of the losses, such as last year's, were absolutely devastating in terms of how they affected our season.

I'm not a big "worrier" about stuff I can't control, but I admit this is one that scares me. Unlike some of the gawdawful DePaul teams we've lost to in recent seasons, this one isn't bad.

This is the best DePaul team in years and for that matter best team MU has had in 5 years.  MU played horrible in the first game with Sacar going 0-9 from the field,
but Theo had a great game.  They are very long and with Cain guarding Markus it will make it tougher for him.  It would be nice for change to get an early lead, or better start.  Get them early, then Strus will throw up some wild shots.  Paul Reed is improving, this is an ultimate trap game after Saturday.  Hard to get up every
night, lets see what they are made of!  Then they take a few days off to rest, and get ready for Butler.  Like to see the Hauser boys break out.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 02:05:04 PM »
looked back about 4 years...DePaul has a total of 15 BE regular season wins with 6 as their banner year. 3 of those 15 wins against MU.  They are better this year and its a road game. I think the Warriors better play well.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 02:09:28 PM »
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 02:09:38 PM »
This is the best DePaul team in years and for that matter best team MU has had in 5 years.  MU played horrible in the first game with Sacar going 0-9 from the field,
but Theo had a great game.  They are very long and with Cain guarding Markus it will make it tougher for him.  It would be nice for change to get an early lead, or better start.  Get them early, then Strus will throw up some wild shots.  Paul Reed is improving, this is an ultimate trap game after Saturday.  Hard to get up every
night, lets see what they are made of!  Then they take a few days off to rest, and get ready for Butler.  Like to see the Hauser boys break out.

Agree with all of this except for the "hard to get up" part (and I don't mean that in a sexual way).

You're a college athlete. You live for the games you get to play. You clobber each other for 2 hours in practice every day. The games are a joy. The fans are there to see you -- whether at home and they're cheering for you or on the road and they are getting on you. They can help psych you up in the 1% of the time that you should need any additional psyching up.

At the pro level, where you play 82 games plus exhibitions plus the postseason, I can maybe see being uninspired every so often. Plus, it's their job. For kids, it's a passion and a joy.

If any college kid tries to throw that out there -- unless he/she has some extenuating circumstance like a death in the family or an illness -- I'd say it's just an excuse, and a lame one at that.

Heck, if the Hausers aren't motivated to go after the last game (and Joey after the last 3 games), I'll really be worried about 'em. They were both very good last time against DePaul, and I expect nothing less tonight.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:11:17 PM by MU82 »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 02:15:52 PM »
Agree with all of this except for the "hard to get up" part (and I don't mean that in a sexual way).

You're a college athlete. You live for the games you get to play. You clobber each other for 2 hours in practice every day. The games are a joy. The fans are there to see you -- whether at home and they're cheering for you or on the road and they are getting on you. They can help psych you up in the 1% of the time that you should need any additional psyching up.

At the pro level, where you play 82 games plus exhibitions plus the postseason, I can maybe see being uninspired every so often. Plus, it's their job. For kids, it's a passion and a joy.

If any college kid tries to throw that out there -- unless he/she has some extenuating circumstance like a death in the family or an illness -- I'd say it's just an excuse, and a lame one at that.

Heck, if the Hausers aren't motivated to go after the last game (and Joey after the last 3 games), I'll really be worried about 'em. They were both very good last time against DePaul, and I expect nothing less tonight.

...like making their open shots. We struggle when their cold.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 02:17:00 PM »

I agree what you are saying but I felt MU was very lethargic in the first half against St. Johns.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 02:18:36 PM »
No trap here.  It's a road game vs. a very good conference rival that has beaten some very good teams so far.  One could even argue that DePaul is still a bubble team.  A loss at DePaul would be disappointing but not catastrophic.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 02:26:48 PM »
I hate to agree with Keefe.....  all road games are a challenge.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 02:50:06 PM »

That's the key for me - the fact that it's a road game. Doesn't matter if it's DePaul, Creighton, X, PC or any of the other teams below us. They all have the potential to be a trap, especially when you are a ranked team.

At #10 and a projected 3 seed, we would be the best win of the season for any of them.

That said, if we just play our game, we come home with the W.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 04:20:12 PM »

Also agree and depending on expectations every game is important. No win tonight and our path to a first place finish in conference regular season is considerably diminished.

DePaul is tied for 3rd and needs the win. We need it to chase 'Nova.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 05:25:56 PM »
I think that there are different definitions of “trap game” in this thread.
Because you may lose a game to a team below you in the standings or you are favored to win does not in itself make it a trap game.
A trap game is one which can be easily overlooked as a win, because the upcoming game following the “trap” game is a bigger, more important game, etc....hence the trap.
I maybe incorrect in my understanding.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 05:32:06 PM »
I agree with that definition of a trap game. I think that St. John’s at home before Villanova was more of a trap game that away at DePaul.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 05:54:09 PM »
Seth Davis agrees:

“Marquette (-3½) at DePaul, 8 p.m. This is a trap game if ever there was one. The Golden Eagles are coming off an emotional week, losing to St. John’s and beating Villanova at home in games that were each decided by a single point. During the first meeting in Milwaukee on Jan. 23, DePaul was unable to overcome a 4-of-17 shooting performance from leading scorer Max Strus and lost by 10. In winning its last two games against Providence and at Xavier, DePaul has done a better job taking care of the ball. I say the Blue Demons take advantage of the opportunity and pull off the home upset. The pick: DePaul”
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 05:59:35 PM »
DePaul is stronger this year so we will be ready. Not a trap game. St Johns wasn't a trap either cause they beat the snot out of uson New Years in their rinky dink gym. Look for St Johns to win handily tonight vs Butler. Our game is on YES in NYC, btw.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 10:37:39 PM »
I disagree with Seth Davis about this being a trap game and agree with those who thought St. John's was more of a trap game. At least in the classic definition of "trap game."

It's all moot, as our Warriors beat DePaul 283-3.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 10:41:37 PM »
Seth Davis really doesn't like Marquette

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 10:43:58 PM »
I disagree with Seth Davis about this being a trap game and agree with those who thought St. John's was more of a trap game. At least in the classic definition of "trap game."

It's all moot, as our Warriors beat DePaul 283-3.

Yeah this wasn’t a trap game.

The one road game in between 3 home games. 8 days off after the game.

Not really the type of game you just over look.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 10:45:52 PM »

That said, if we just play our game, we come home with the W.

Lather, rinse, repeat.....

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 10:46:50 PM »
Seth Davis agrees:

“Marquette (-3½) at DePaul, 8 p.m. This is a trap game if ever there was one. The Golden Eagles are coming off an emotional week, losing to St. John’s and beating Villanova at home in games that were each decided by a single point. During the first meeting in Milwaukee on Jan. 23, DePaul was unable to overcome a 4-of-17 shooting performance from leading scorer Max Strus and lost by 10. In winning its last two games against Providence and at Xavier, DePaul has done a better job taking care of the ball. I say the Blue Demons take advantage of the opportunity and pull off the home upset. The pick: DePaul”

This aged well.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 10:53:18 PM »

Yeah this wasn’t a trap game.

The one road game in between 3 home games. 8 days off after the game.

Not really the type of game you just over look.

Yep. A trap game implies that a team is looking past an opponent to the following opponent.

Implying that @ DePaul is a trap because MU was looking forward to facing Butler 8 days later ... not very impressed that Seth Davis didn't even have the grasp of that.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 10:56:23 PM »
Um, no

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 08:34:48 AM »
Never a doubt.
Have some patience, FFS.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2019, 09:01:01 AM »
Yep. A trap game implies that a team is looking past an opponent to the following opponent.

Implying that @ DePaul is a trap because MU was looking forward to facing Butler 8 days later ... not very impressed that Seth Davis didn't even have the grasp of that.

I think it also implies taking an opponent for granted following a win over much tougher team. 

Sort of like our Providence game a couple of years ago after beating #1 Villanova.

Huge program win over Villanova followed by a road game against a lightly regarded opponent you already beat? Maybe MU wasn't fully looking ahead to Butler, but it's not difficult to understand Davis' logic here.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2019, 09:14:28 AM »

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree....
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2019, 09:34:20 AM »
I think it also implies taking an opponent for granted following a win over much tougher team. 

Sort of like our Providence game a couple of years ago after beating #1 Villanova.

Huge program win over Villanova followed by a road game against a lightly regarded opponent you already beat? Maybe MU wasn't fully looking ahead to Butler, but it's not difficult to understand Davis' logic here.
A let down game is different than a trap game
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2019, 10:13:18 AM »
A let down game is different than a trap game

This.  Trap game = game before a big game
Letdown game = game after a big game

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2019, 10:28:36 AM »

Huh?

Who said anything about horticulture?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2019, 12:07:17 PM »

It better not be a Red Delicious....