[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Kenpom Rating System  (Read 1478 times)

KipsBayEagle

Kenpom Rating System
« on: February 10, 2019, 05:25:29 PM »
https://kenpom.com

We currently sit at 29, the school in front of us is Wofford.  Why are the Kenpom ratings still a thing? 

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Kenpom Rating System
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 05:28:26 PM »

We currently sit at 29, the school in front of us is Wofford.  Why are the Kenpom ratings still a thing?

Wofford actually isn't too bad.
That 14-10 Texas, with losses to Radford, Okie State and Georgia, is sitting in the top 25 is a travesty.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 05:29:57 PM »
Wofford actually isn't too bad.
That 14-10 Texas, with losses to Radford, Okie State and Georgia, is sitting in the top 25 is a travesty.

You mean that 14-10 Texas, with wins over North Carolina, Purdue, Kansas, and K-State? They just have a weird resume.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 05:59:59 PM »
kenpomnomatta
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 08:05:04 PM »

IMHO KenPom is the most accurate system. Not perfect but no system is. Wofford is a very solid team this season though probably a little overranked. Their only four losses this season are North Carolina (home but might as well be on the road) and Oklahoma/Kansas/Mississippi State all on the road.

Do you have a suggestion for a better system than KenPom?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 10:23:47 PM »
My biggest question about Kenpom is are the rankings updating today based on results from our games in November? For example, Kenpom had us beating Nova by 2, we won by 1, so there’s very little movement for MU based on that result.

What about our game with Louisville? Louisville is coming off a not great season and going through a coaching change, and there’s very little to base them off of in November. I don’t know what Kenpom had it going into the season, but I’d guess he had MU about a 5 point favorite. We won in OT so we get dinged because we didn’t beat Louisville by as much as his algorithm predicted, but since then, in the 3 months of basketball played between then and now, Louisville has proven to be much better than what they were believed to be. But we played them in November so to Kenpom we underachieved?

And also when it’s looked at for NCAA Tournament purposes, it should no longer be about predictive measures and should be based on actual results. The selection process should be about rewarding what had been done up until that point, not predicting what an algorithm would suggest should happen moving forward. You earn a postseason berth/seed based on what you actually achieved over the course of a season.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 10:26:18 PM »
Is KenPom more "accurate" than the media and coaches (SIDs) polls?

Maybe so. I don't know. Just askin'.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 10:44:19 PM »
Is KenPom more "accurate" than the media and coaches (SIDs) polls?

Maybe so. I don't know. Just askin'.

Picking a bracket with KenPom’s rankings beats a chalk bracket basically every year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 10:52:19 PM »
My biggest question about Kenpom is are the rankings updating today based on results from our games in November? For example, Kenpom had us beating Nova by 2, we won by 1, so there’s very little movement for MU based on that result.

What about our game with Louisville? Louisville is coming off a not great season and going through a coaching change, and there’s very little to base them off of in November. I don’t know what Kenpom had it going into the season, but I’d guess he had MU about a 5 point favorite. We won in OT so we get dinged because we didn’t beat Louisville by as much as his algorithm predicted, but since then, in the 3 months of basketball played between then and now, Louisville has proven to be much better than what they were believed to be. But we played them in November so to Kenpom we underachieved?

And also when it’s looked at for NCAA Tournament purposes, it should no longer be about predictive measures and should be based on actual results. The selection process should be about rewarding what had been done up until that point, not predicting what an algorithm would suggest should happen moving forward. You earn a postseason berth/seed based on what you actually achieved over the course of a season.

Yes, the "prediction" gets updated as the season goes on. Our win over Louisville as only gotten better.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback