[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Taxes  (Read 19812 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Taxes
« Reply #175 on: February 18, 2019, 08:05:54 PM »
When a limited pie of funds is available, it matters.  Turn a blind eye to one side doing it means more and more will do it and it isn't fair to those that truly are in need and playing by the rules.  Go after the big fish hardest, but you cannot ignore the others.  Why do we continue to punish rule followers, especially the disadvantaged rule followers? Makes no sense.  It's as if we are telling them they are fools for following the rules, because if you don't follow it we won't do anything about it.  That's what we should be teaching and enforcing?

Go after those that are the bigger bang for the buck, so to speak. Not to mention you can't get blood from a turnip.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 08:31:15 PM by jesmu84 »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2019, 08:57:52 PM »
Go after those that are the bigger bang for the buck, so to speak. Not to mention you can't get blood from a turnip.

I get what you are saying, but it can be both.  The store my wife returned to work for....$19M in theft last year.  It was less than $5M only a few years earlier, that is due to a change in the laws here where anything under a certain value ($950) is no longer punished as a felony. So guess what happened...."small" crime has exploded and there is now a push to clamp down.  Want to know who is hit hardest?  Small business owners that don't have the big pockets as the retail giants.  If you let the small stuff go unpunished, you are begging for it to become a way of life and part of every day action.  Shoplifting up more than 40% in some stores, on average up 20%.  Not good. Means prices go up for everyone. Same concept, if you ignore the smaller crimes they will eventually cause great harm and hurt the average person more than the rich guy. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2019, 10:21:15 PM »
chicos: Champion of the overdog.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2019, 10:38:22 PM »
I get what you are saying, but it can be both.  The store my wife returned to work for....$19M in theft last year.  It was less than $5M only a few years earlier, that is due to a change in the laws here where anything under a certain value ($950) is no longer punished as a felony. So guess what happened...."small" crime has exploded and there is now a push to clamp down.  Want to know who is hit hardest?  Small business owners that don't have the big pockets as the retail giants.  If you let the small stuff go unpunished, you are begging for it to become a way of life and part of every day action.  Shoplifting up more than 40% in some stores, on average up 20%.  Not good. Means prices go up for everyone. Same concept, if you ignore the smaller crimes they will eventually cause great harm and hurt the average person more than the rich guy.

First of all, it is not referred to as "theft", as stores can not keep track of what is stolen or lost inventory. It is referred to as "Shrinkage". Most shrinkage is lost due to poor inventory tracking not theft.

Second, it isn't usually referenced as a total $ amount, as the stores targets will be gauged as a % of total sales/inventory. The goal is to keep shrinkage below a certain % of sales threshold.

If they are seeing a 300% increase in shrinkage in a couple years, someone needs to lose their job. My first target would be the transport company/vendors. The second would be the employees themselves.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2019, 10:54:01 PM »
First of all, it is not referred to as "theft", as stores can not keep track of what is stolen or lost inventory. It is referred to as "Shrinkage". Most shrinkage is lost due to poor inventory tracking not theft.

Second, it isn't usually referenced as a total $ amount, as the stores targets will be gauged as a % of total sales/inventory. The goal is to keep shrinkage below a certain % of sales threshold.

If they are seeing a 300% increase in shrinkage in a couple years, someone needs to lose their job. My first target would be the transport company/vendors. The second would be the employees themselves.

No, at her store they use real words, not fake crap.  They call it theft because that is what it is.  Their security people call it what it is...theft.  Sure, management uses words like shrinkage, but everyone smirks because they know what it is.  They have countless video of people brazenly walking up, grabbing $500 to $600 worth of stuff and walking right on out.  They know the police won’t do a damn thing about it and they have trained the employees to just let it go.  Sad.  But this is what we have said is okie dokie now.

Who gets hit....the little shop owner.   https://lompocrecord.com/news/local/shoplifters-taking-toll-on-local-economy-after-prop/article_95398fe0-111a-5698-8df4-c593ded67833.html

The worst part, it isn’t cumulative.  Steal $949 today...do it again tomorrow, still no felony.  Amazing.

https://www.yourcentralvalley.com/news/stores-fight-shoplifting-post-prop-47/1406126717

This is what happens if you let smaller crimes go unpunished...no different than welfare cheating, insurance scams, etc.  The poor that are doing it right are made to be fools.  Sad.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #180 on: February 18, 2019, 10:55:29 PM »
chicos: Champion of the overdog.

I was hoping you would weave in a totally unrelated story about why games were moved from North Carolina to Greenville....this seemed like the perfect thread for you.

MU82, champion of crime over people doing things the right way.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #181 on: February 18, 2019, 11:05:45 PM »
I was hoping you would weave in a totally unrelated story about why games were moved from North Carolina to Greenville....this seemed like the perfect thread for you.

MU82, champion of crime over people doing things the right way.

The subject of that tournament came up in another thread and my post was complete related and relevant.

But sure ... lie again.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #182 on: February 18, 2019, 11:16:08 PM »
The subject of that tournament came up in another thread and my post was complete related and relevant.

But sure ... lie again.

Yes, the tournament...no one said why are the games in South Carolina, no one asked why they were moved, but got to weave in your item and sprinkle in the added opinion on what it did to the state as if fact...you know...the same stuff you bellyache others do. 

But sure...lie again.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:26:33 PM by Cheeks »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #183 on: February 18, 2019, 11:31:03 PM »
Yes, the tournament...no one said why are the games in South Carolina, no one asked why they were moved, but You got to sprinkle in not on,y why,  it the added opinion on what it did to the state as if fact...you know...the same stuff you bellyache others do. 

But sure...lie again.

Have you ever wondered why you are one of the least popular Scoopers?

Do you wonder why you have gotten banned multiple times?

Do you wonder why few took you seriously a couple years back when you opened your heart and said you'd be a good boy if Scoop just took you back?

I'm guessing you think all of that is because you are the noble truth-teller, the permanently aggrieved, the misunderstood and the picked-on ... and it's the rest of us who are bad. After all, Jesus, Gandhi, MLK and Ners were misunderstood, too.

I'm done sparring verbally with you in public like this because our Scoop brothers and sisters don't need to be punished like this, so you can have the last word if you want. I suppose you can always PM me and spew hatred and lies, like you did last month, but I'll probably ignore that, too.

Anyway, I'll just hang up and wait for you to be banned again.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #184 on: February 19, 2019, 12:12:09 AM »
Have a good day and go back to your PMs and tell me who PMd who first?  That’s right....you sent me one first....screenshots available if you wish.  Not sure why you bothered to send me that initial PM, but yes you were the first to do so.

I have no doubt unpopular with some, popular with others,  I have news for you, you fit the same mold. 

Now, how about you and I focus on cheering for Marquette basketball.....deal?   I think we both bring some good conversation there. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2019, 05:29:49 AM »
No, at her store they use real words, not fake crap.  They call it theft because that is what it is.  Their security people call it what it is...theft.  Sure, management uses words like shrinkage, but everyone smirks because they know what it is.  They have countless video of people brazenly walking up, grabbing $500 to $600 worth of stuff and walking right on out.  They know the police won’t do a damn thing about it and they have trained the employees to just let it go.  Sad.  But this is what we have said is okie dokie now.

Who gets hit....the little shop owner.   https://lompocrecord.com/news/local/shoplifters-taking-toll-on-local-economy-after-prop/article_95398fe0-111a-5698-8df4-c593ded67833.html

The worst part, it isn’t cumulative.  Steal $949 today...do it again tomorrow, still no felony.  Amazing.

https://www.yourcentralvalley.com/news/stores-fight-shoplifting-post-prop-47/1406126717

This is what happens if you let smaller crimes go unpunished...no different than welfare cheating, insurance scams, etc.  The poor that are doing it right are made to be fools.  Sad.

Dang dude. I just sincerely can't understand the perspective of someone who lived through the financial crisis of the late 2000s and watched as some of the most wealthy/powerful committed white collar crime to the Nth degree that brought a nation to its knees (while little of them ended up being punished) and want to focus their attention on things like petty theft.

Sure, they're both crimes and neither are "the right thing to do."

But I just don't understand it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2019, 08:40:16 AM »
It seems that we already achieved all this thread could have hoped for when we established "Taxes suck, and Americans are, on average, dumb."

Why are people still talking?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2019, 09:30:31 AM »
I'm done sparring verbally with you in public like this because our Scoop brothers and sisters don't need to be punished...

Promise?  If so, thank you.  Wades, you want in on this?  Anyone else (you know who you are)?  Do it for the children.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #188 on: February 19, 2019, 02:42:10 PM »
Dang dude. I just sincerely can't understand the perspective of someone who lived through the financial crisis of the late 2000s and watched as some of the most wealthy/powerful committed white collar crime to the Nth degree that brought a nation to its knees (while little of them ended up being punished) and want to focus their attention on things like petty theft.

Sure, they're both crimes and neither are "the right thing to do."

But I just don't understand it.

Why don't you understand it?  Why can you not go after both?  How are they NOT the right thing to do?  If you are bilking the govt' out of $10K a year, and the next guy is, and the next the next guy...it adds up.  The pie is limited, that cannot stand.  For the same reason the aholes in the financial crisis cannot stand, but we've seen a lot of people protected there by both sides.  Makes me sick, but so does jerk off that is taking that $10K so that Mrs. Honest poor citizen doesn't get hers because of his actions.

I just don't understand how you can turn a blind eye to that.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #189 on: February 19, 2019, 04:42:05 PM »
Why don't you understand it?  Why can you not go after both?  How are they NOT the right thing to do?  If you are bilking the govt' out of $10K a year, and the next guy is, and the next the next guy...it adds up.  The pie is limited, that cannot stand.  For the same reason the aholes in the financial crisis cannot stand, but we've seen a lot of people protected there by both sides.  Makes me sick, but so does jerk off that is taking that $10K so that Mrs. Honest poor citizen doesn't get hers because of his actions.

I never said turn a blind eye. I said start with the big fish and work from there.

I also believe that if the top was punished severely, it would have a downstream effect.

If you started at the bottom, I don't think the top changes anything.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #190 on: February 19, 2019, 04:45:24 PM »
Does McDonald's still do their tax day hamburger and cheeseburger deal? Had to skip lunch today and that is starting to sound real good right now.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #191 on: February 19, 2019, 04:52:32 PM »

Well, the IRS staff has been cut by a third over the last 8 years, thus less agents to investigate, prosecute, and collect.

Oh, and which income group is targeted the most?  Low income folks making under $20,000 a year.

https://www.propublica.org/article/earned-income-tax-credit-irs-audit-working-poor

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #192 on: February 19, 2019, 06:40:57 PM »
Well, the IRS staff has been cut by a third over the last 8 years, thus less agents to investigate, prosecute, and collect.

Oh, and which income group is targeted the most?  Low income folks making under $20,000 a year.

https://www.propublica.org/article/earned-income-tax-credit-irs-audit-working-poor

Please stop the lies. The article is about the EITC.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #193 on: February 19, 2019, 06:43:51 PM »
I never said turn a blind eye. I said start with the big fish and work from there.

I also believe that if the top was punished severely, it would have a downstream effect.

If you started at the bottom, I don't think the top changes anything.

I think we can multi-task and do both, I have great confidence in our government.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #194 on: February 19, 2019, 06:51:51 PM »

This isn't just about taxes, I'm talking fraud across other programs.  SS, welfare, WIC, food stamps, etc....many of these programs for the poor we should not let the poor be taken advantage of by people that are abusing the system.

In 2016 we made $78 BILLION dollars in welfare payments annually that are improper.  That includes fraud and a host of other issues, including simple errors.  $78 Billion.  That is money earmarked for the poor and disadvantaged and that amount is going to people improperly.  That's just welfare.  The exercise can be done with other areas.  Pew has the number at Medicaid fraud / error payments at $136 Billion in 2015. 

It feels like some people here view this as an attack on the poor.....I don't know why.  I view it as a way to preserve the money FOR THE POOR, so the poor and disadvantaged that are supposed to get the proper payments actually do.  Not sure why there is a disconnect on this by some.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #195 on: February 19, 2019, 10:37:24 PM »
Ban des guys!!!!!!!!!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #196 on: February 20, 2019, 06:54:53 AM »
This isn't just about taxes, I'm talking fraud across other programs.  SS, welfare, WIC, food stamps, etc....many of these programs for the poor we should not let the poor be taken advantage of by people that are abusing the system.

In 2016 we made $78 BILLION dollars in welfare payments annually that are improper.  That includes fraud and a host of other issues, including simple errors.  $78 Billion.  That is money earmarked for the poor and disadvantaged and that amount is going to people improperly.  That's just welfare.  The exercise can be done with other areas.  Pew has the number at Medicaid fraud / error payments at $136 Billion in 2015. 

It feels like some people here view this as an attack on the poor.....I don't know why.  I view it as a way to preserve the money FOR THE POOR, so the poor and disadvantaged that are supposed to get the proper payments actually do.  Not sure why there is a disconnect on this by some.

My bad about posting an article about taxes, in the thread named Taxes 🤔🤔🤔🤔

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #197 on: February 20, 2019, 08:48:09 AM »
It's so great to have the old gang back.