[Today at 09:40:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Does St. John’s only play well against Marquette?  (Read 5204 times)

cheese ball chaser

• All American
Does St. John’s only play well against Marquette?
« on: February 08, 2019, 01:20:11 PM »
St. John’s is currently sitting at 5-5 in conference, 47 KenPom, 39 NET and 48 in T-rank. I haven’t watched much St. John’s basketball this year but it seems like they play REALLY well against us less so against other teams.

T-Rank provides a game-by-game rating called G-Score (http://adamcwisports.blogspot.com/2015/11/introducing-g-score.html). For those not familiar, it goes from 0 (bad) to 100 (perfect) and essentially indicates how well a team played in a given game given offensive and defensive efficiencies.

Looking at St. John’s G-Score trend, they have played 8 games with a G-Score over 90: http://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=St.+John%27s. 3 of those games are against bad/average opponents: Loyola MD (141 KenPom), Rutgers (95 KenPom) and St. Francis (NY) (245 KenPom), and they won all three.
  • The remaining 5 are against Marquette (W,W), Creighton (W,W) and Nova (L).
  • Excluding the bad/average opponents, their two best games of the season are at home against Marquette (98 G-score) and @ Creighton (98 G-score)
  • Their next best two games are @ Marquette (96 G-score) and at home against Creighton (94 G-score)
Obviously there’s some noise here and G-score isn’t a perfect metric, but we can see that St. John’s is also capable of playing well against other opponents given the sweep of Creighton and playing well @ Nova (even though they lost).

Marquette played their worst game of the season at Indiana (19 G-Score) but their next two worse losses are against St. John’s. Both are their only other 2 sub-60 G-score losses. St. John's is such a strange team. How do you lose to DePaul and home and sweep MU and Creighton?  ?-(

fjm

• All American
Re: Does St. John’s only play well against Marquette?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 01:46:13 PM »
Hausers went 3-14 from 3.

Make one more, and we win.

3-14.

Howard went 1-9 from two point range.

Make one more and we win.

losses Happen. Sadly though SJU has our number. But I don’t see us having a ton of 1-9 from 2 for Howard it many more 21% shooting from 3 combined from the Hauser brothers.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 01:47:17 PM »
Matchups.  Their tall/long, quick guards and wings cause matchup headaches for MU (and apparently Creighton).  It's why matchups in the NCAA tourney are more important than seeds.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 01:50:50 PM »
Hausers went 3-14 from 3.

Make one more, and we win.

3-14.

Howard went 1-9 from two point range.

Make one more and we win.

losses Happen. Sadly though SJU has our number. But I don’t see us having a ton of 1-9 from 2 for Howard it many more 21% shooting from 3 combined from the Hauser brothers.

Most of those Hauser shots wede uncontested too. Sometimes it just doesn't drop
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 01:58:46 PM »
Most of those Hauser shots wede uncontested too. Sometimes it just doesn't drop

Yep. We missed a ton of wide open looks. It wasn't about SJU playing so well - it was a great shooting team having a really off night. It happens.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 02:11:00 PM »
Matchups.  Their tall/long, quick guards and wings cause matchup headaches for MU (and apparently Creighton).  It's why matchups in the NCAA tourney are more important than seeds.

I somewhat agree with this...however, since SJU is ONLY 5-5 in the BE, with 4 of those wins coming vs MU and Creighton..The fact that they have tall/long, quick guards and wings", hasn't bothered the other teams...which one could IMPLY that that means they also have tall/long, quick wings etc to match up with SJU there. However, if that is the case...MU hasn't had a problem against anyone else's long/tall quick wings(and presumably they have the long/tall quick wings to match SJU). It's really weird. I honestly think that some of it with MU is mental...SJU is in their heads now.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 02:13:38 PM »
Of course Duke smokes those clowns by 30. I get its Duke but still. Where were st johns "tall quick guys"

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 02:15:10 PM »
Of course Duke smokes those clowns by 30. I get its Duke but still. Where were st johns "tall quick guys"

They were dealing with taller and quicker Blue Devils.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 02:20:47 PM »

Duke was lucky - they caught SJU looking ahead to us.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 02:27:37 PM »
SJU is more athletic at all 5 positions - hence MU has to hit a decent percentage on 3-pointers to win.

They will beat us when we don't shoot well.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 02:37:42 PM »
My belief is that Ponds knows he is better and Howard when he wants to be.
He comes in with a chip on his shoulder, because Howard gets so much press.
The last three matchups he has out played Howard.

Same thing worries me about Villanova. They may be tired about hearing announcers say MU is the better team. They are going to be very motivated tomorrow.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 02:39:08 PM »
Everyone likes to focus on offense and I guess thats fine.  We also had one of our worst defensive halfs of the entite season in the first half.  We came out soft and got buried by a good team.  Toughened up in the second half and out pkayed them, unfirtunately the hole was too deep.  Offense fluctuates, defense shouldnt.  I said it before we played 2017 defense in the first half
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 03:00:40 PM »

Same thing worries me about Villanova. They may be tired about hearing announcers say MU is the better team. They are going to be very motivated tomorrow.

I haven't heard anyone say this

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 04:16:56 PM »
Literally every single game there are people saying the opponent has a chip on their shoulder to beat a top ten team. It's a must win for the opponent so there gonna play harder. The teams tired of hearing about Marquette so they will be focused and motivated. Oh they just lost so now there gonna be extra tough against marquette. Literally every game. Does it ever play in our favor jesus.. how about Marquette just lost so now they will have more motivation to beat nova so it will be harder for nova? Not that I really buy this kind of crap anyways. Tired of hearing this stuff

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 04:25:20 PM »
MU should bee da teem comin' out tomarra reddy ta kick major ass, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 05:27:41 PM »
I somewhat agree with this...however, since SJU is ONLY 5-5 in the BE, with 4 of those wins coming vs MU and Creighton..The fact that they have tall/long, quick guards and wings", hasn't bothered the other teams...which one could IMPLY that that means they also have tall/long, quick wings etc to match up with SJU there. However, if that is the case...MU hasn't had a problem against anyone else's long/tall quick wings(and presumably they have the long/tall quick wings to match SJU). It's really weird. I honestly think that some of it with MU is mental...SJU is in their heads now.

"only" 5-5, but one of those losses was due to an egregious officiating error that the conference admitted to (Seton Hall) and one without Ponds.  They also played pretty damn well at G-town. Maybe they're just a pretty good team.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 05:38:43 PM »
"only" 5-5, but one of those losses was due to an egregious officiating error that the conference admitted to (Seton Hall) and one without Ponds.  They also played pretty damn well at G-town. Maybe they're just a pretty good team.

I agree with this. Everybody likes to make fun of Mullin but I've always felt they've been pretty solid (despite the really crapty non-con)

burger

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 06:03:21 PM »
We need to go small vs. St. John's at least at some point.....

Hauser....Hauser.....Bailey......Howard.....Anim.....

Let them try match us at the 5.....

We can cover the 5 at the 3 point line.....

First off the bench is Chartonney.......

This is where we miss Cain and Elliott.....

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 06:32:23 PM »
Prior to this game, we were 6-0 in games decided by 5 or fewer points. We've had good luck in close games. Eventually, we were going to lose one of them.

SJU is a really good team. Shamorie Ponds is one of the 20 or so best players in college basketball. SJU can beat anyone. I think this conversation only exists under the assumption that we are way better than them. Their numerical ratings make them look worse than they are because they played a bad OOC schedule and the Big East is sort of down this year. They are a dangerous team.

This most recent game against them was pretty close to a coin flip going in, and it came down to a single point. We're not going to win every game like that... We have had our fair share of incredible fortune thus far.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 06:55:25 PM »
Prior to this game, we were 6-0 in games decided by 5 or fewer points. We've had good luck in close games. Eventually, we were going to lose one of them.

SJU is a really good team. Shamorie Ponds is one of the 20 or so best players in college basketball. SJU can beat anyone. I think this conversation only exists under the assumption that we are way better than them. Their numerical ratings make them look worse than they are because they played a bad OOC schedule and the Big East is sort of down this year. They are a dangerous team.

This most recent game against them was pretty close to a coin flip going in, and it came down to a single point. We're not going to win every game like that... We have had our fair share of incredible fortune thus far.

How good are they...really?? This is the same SJU team that lost AT home to DePaul...stop and think about that for a minute..Yes it was without Ponds, but if they were THAT good, that is still a game they should have won(It was DePaul!). I mean...MU won AT Georgetown without Markus, right??

As far as the close games..You are right, so how about actually stepping on a teams throat early and taking all the wind out of their sails, instead of constantly starting slow like this MU team has done?? ...That's why they fond themselves in all these close games.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 07:27:33 PM »
How good are they...really?? This is the same SJU team that lost AT home to DePaul...stop and think about that for a minute..Yes it was without Ponds, but if they were THAT good, that is still a game they should have won(It was DePaul!). I mean...MU won AT Georgetown without Markus, right??

As far as the close games..You are right, so how about actually stepping on a teams throat early and taking all the wind out of their sails, instead of constantly starting slow like this MU team has done?? ...That's why they fond themselves in all these close games.

Most people can see the logical fallacy in making generalizations based on the extremes. You answered your own question with this post.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 08:46:45 PM »
I haven't heard anyone say this
I watch most of the Big East games on TV. When they discuss the conference standings at least one of the commentators says he thinks MU is better than Villanova.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 10:31:38 PM »
I watch most of the Big East games on TV. When they discuss the conference standings at least one of the commentators says he thinks MU is better than Villanova.
Does that have an impact on the outcome of the game somehow. Please ..

Norm

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 02:03:49 AM »

Ponds has scored 98 points against MU in the last 3 games we've played them. He has 149 in all 6 games he's played us. The guy is a legit MU killer.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2019, 07:52:36 PM »
Embarrassing
Embarrassing is this psycho tirade you’re on. Man someone is in your head baaaaad
No Finish Line

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2019, 07:58:44 PM »
Deep, deep in your head. Acting like a stalker. Go for a walk.
No Finish Line

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2019, 10:06:31 PM »
Embarrassing is this psycho tirade you’re on. Man someone is in your head baaaaad

Shyte! I missed the entire psycho tirade and now it's gone. If anybody still has it and wants to PM it to me, that would be fun!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2019, 11:03:12 PM »
Shyte! I missed the entire psycho tirade and now it's gone. If anybody still has it and wants to PM it to me, that would be fun!!!

Ditto

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 11:13:19 PM »

The stuff of legends.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2019, 07:54:07 AM »
It was one pathetic display of paper thin skin. I’ll give dude credit if he continues to post here because I wouldn’t out of total shame
No Finish Line

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2019, 07:58:16 AM »
Wait what. Include me in on the PM train!

feedback