[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

20 seconds left, down 1, with the ball, do you call a TO?

Yes
56 (55.4%)
No
45 (44.6%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Author Topic: End of Game Situation  (Read 6390 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: End of Game Situation
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2019, 03:33:30 PM »
No he wasn't.  There was a screen shot in another thread showing him 30 feet from the basket with his defender at the foul line as Markus prepared to shoot with 6.2 seconds left.

Nobody mentions Joey fumbling another rebound with 3 seconds left leading to the final foul.
That’s what leads me to believe that Wojo did a poor job drawing up the final play. If Sam was part of the plan for the final shot it wouldn’t make sense he would be standing where he was

As far as Joey; that was definitely salt in the wound. Although as others have said he was definitely hit in the head as he went to secure it
No Finish Line

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2019, 03:34:28 PM »
No he wasn't.  There was a screen shot in another thread showing him 30 feet from the basket with his defender at the foul line as Markus prepared to shoot with 6.2 seconds left.

Nobody mentions Joey fumbling another rebound with 3 seconds left leading to the final foul.

Yeah. The number of people presenting information as fact when evidence shows the exact opposite is quite concerning.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2019, 03:39:12 PM »
I typed it wrong.  Sam's defender was at the 3 point line and closing toward Sam as Markus dribbled left toward the top of the key.  There was nobody with a better look.  I will amend my last post.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2019, 03:42:58 PM »

I guess I anticipate Sam stepping into a shot.  Maybe he was farther out than I thought.   I thought it was closer to 25 feet, which he could step into about 22 feet to meet the pass. But if Tower is right, 30 feet is a lot different.

Sorry for the error.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2019, 03:46:04 PM »
Without getting into the specifics of the play we ran after the TO...I voted "no" for two reasons: First, as MU82 and others have said, this is a veteran team that we should be able to trust to come up with a decent shot. Second, we had been scoring pretty well down the stretch and the guys were finally beginning to look confident on the offensive end.

I would only call a TO if it was an inexperienced team or if the tables were turned on the comeback (ie, if we had been way ahead and SJU had come back). The TO would be to call a play of course, but mostly to settle the guys and try to instill some confidence.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2019, 03:53:24 PM »
I just rewatched it.  Sam was next the Al logo.  SJU looked like they were in a 2-3, but that was more due to Marquette's alignment.  When Markus started his dribble to the wing, Sam's defender dropped to the foul line.  When Markus went back to the top of the key, Sam's defender came back out and had his heels on the 3 point line waiting to close on Sam near the logo if Markus had passed to Sam.
  When Markus got to the top, Joey broke from the corner. By the time the fly by happened and Markus shot, Joey was under the basket, got both hands on the ball with 3 seconds left and lost it when he got bumped.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 05:12:44 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2019, 04:06:20 PM »
I voted no.  I think your best chance to score is to rush after the made FT and not let the opponent set up a specific defense or get whatever defensive personnel they wanted to have on the floor.  Personal preference.  I wasn't bothered by the TO particularly.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2019, 04:09:51 PM »
Sacar had an open look and had just hit the same shot

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2019, 04:38:35 PM »
Sacar had an open look and had just hit the same shot

Eh, it wasn't the same shot. He was posted up between the corner and the elbow. It was close to the corner but not quite there. Its not the shot I would have wanted in that situation though probably better than the shot we got.

Honestly, St. John's played really good defense other than Heron biffing on Markus' fake. The bad decision by Markus wasn't the decision not to pass, the bad decision was not to take the contact and get to the foul line. Split second decision and most shooters' instinct is to let the defender fly by and take the shot. Its an understandable mistake but a mistake nonetheless.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2019, 04:47:29 PM »
I just rewatched it.  Sam was next the Al logo.  SJU looked like they were in a 2-3, but that was more due to Marquette's alignment.  When Markus started his dribble to the wing, Sam's defender dropped to the foul line.  Went Markus went back to the top of the key, Sam's defender came back out and had his heels heels on the 3 point line waiting to close on Sam near the logo if Markus had passed to Sam.
  When Markus got to the top, Joey broke from the corner. By the time the fly by happened and Markus shot, Joey was under the basket, got both hands on the ball with 3 seconds left and lost it when he got bumped.

Yep.  I rewatched, too.  Sam drifted higher than I thought.  Tower is right, I was wrong.   

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2019, 05:10:59 PM »
Nova calls a TO when we're scrambling back.  Our D gets set and has a great last stand.  We didn't call one, and Markus gets his pocket picked (less about the D setting up, and more just a great reactionary play IMO).

If what you do works, you're a genius, if it doesn't, you're an idiot.  Ah the life of a basketball coach.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2019, 06:32:02 PM »
Thought the title of this thread was applicable to today's game as well.

Didn't like the 4-low Markus iso. Al would have said: "They let their sweat dry."

Why not just run the offense and see what develops?