[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Is Frank Kaminsky A Bust?  (Read 5848 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Is Frank Kaminsky A Bust?
« on: February 03, 2019, 02:51:16 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Kaminsky

A lottery pick and now in year 3. Not starting (never really started) and now regularly getting zero minutes in most games.

What say you?
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

MUEng92

• All American
Re: Is Frank Kaminsky A Bust?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 02:56:27 PM »
Frank Kaminsky still plays basketball?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 03:02:48 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Kaminsky

A lottery pick and now in year 3. Not starting (never really started) and now regularly getting zero minutes in most games.

What say you?

I say no.  Although he was a lottery pick, he was drafted by Michael Jordan.  Once Jordan's pick was announced, everyone's expectations for that player immediately dropped.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 03:21:19 PM »
I’d say he is because of Charlotte turning down a crazy trade offer from Boston to draft him. I think it was 4 first rounders.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 04:22:43 PM »
With the exception of Michael Finley, Devin Harris and maybe Wes Matthews, Sr., every Badger ever to play in the NBA has been a bust.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 04:38:07 PM »
With the exception of Michael Finley, Devin Harris and maybe Wes Matthews, Sr., every Badger ever to play in the NBA has been a bust.

Jon Leuer has put together a decent career for a second round pick. But yeah.  Not overwhelming success.

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 09:10:43 PM »
Yes, bust!!

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 10:30:28 PM »
Who?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 04:52:07 AM »
He’s what everyone besides blind Badger homers knew he would be. He’s slow and doesn’t do anything particularly special, and he’s a minus defender.  He averaged 10-11 on mediocre to bad teams, and now that the Hornets have become decent with some key pieces, of course he’s not getting run. I think the most interesting is how putrid his rebounding numbers are for a 4/5.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 07:10:53 PM »
He's not a bust... he was overhyped and drafted too high.  In reality, unathletic guys with good range but slow release who really don't have any dominant skills are late first rounders or 2nd rounders.  That's where he goes in a normal draft. 

Not saying he shouldn't be getting paid to play the game.  Probably he'll be out of NBA soon and find a place where he fits better. 

Dekker is the one who amazes me.  I don't think he could dominate a good pickup game.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 07:59:37 PM »
Frank is definitely a bust but not as big of a bust as Sam Dekker
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 08:37:10 PM »
Not at all.

Is he a Badger? Yes. No accounting for taste.

A bust? No. He was three-star talent and his coaches in college got five-star performance from him. Enough that he was able to become a high draft choice of an NBA team, make millions of dollars and get a vocational school education.

I have trouble believing that's a bust.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 09:26:10 PM »
Personally, I always thought he was more of a boob than a bust. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 11:03:43 PM »
Charlotte exercised their option for a fourth year. So life is pretty good for Frank. Will find out shortly if he gets traded.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article225486465.html
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 11:13:44 PM »
Frank is definitely a bust but not as big of a bust as Sam Dekker

But I'm still happy Dekker made the league. If he hadn't, we would never have had the infamous face dribbling video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puARRlTGkls

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 12:15:33 AM »
To some teams these guys are "valuable" because they're just happy to be there, not moaning about playing time, and their salary slot fits well for trades.  That's why Dekker's been on 4 teams already.  I'm sure the GM's that received him knew nothing more than his cap value. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 05:06:18 AM »

what's a boob?  i mean as a basketball player or person?  just trying to get a visual here, that's all.  usually i'm more of a leg and a$$ guy but i do appreciate me a good rack every now and then.  sometimes, ya get the whole she-bang with one person, but frank...? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 08:22:34 AM »
But I'm still happy Dekker made the league. If he hadn't, we would never have had the infamous face dribbling video.

I could watch that video of DeKKKer all day!

Charlotte exercised their option for a fourth year. So life is pretty good for Frank. Will find out shortly if he gets traded.

They exercised that option for this season back in 2017. After this season, Kaminsky will become a restricted free agent; Charlotte can then either give him a qualifying offer of $4.9 million, match any offer sheet he signs with another team or agree to a new deal. It is generally believed they will not give him a qualifying offer and he will go elsewhere.

As for the "bust" subject in the OP ...

Even though Kaminsky is 7 feet tall, when the Hornets play him it is said they are "undersized" on the court. He's one of those big men who tends to play smaller than he is because he is poor at defending a fellow big man, is not an especially good rebounder and he rarely blocks shots. But when the Hornets tried to play him at the 4, he couldn't stay with anybody quicker ... and most are quicker. The Hornets thought he would develop into a big-time 3-point shooter whose offensive skill would outweigh his defensive liabilities -- kind of a Dirk Lite. However, he has made 35% of his 3s in only one of his 4 seasons, and his shortcomings have led to the Hornets giving up on him.

As it turns out, either of the two players the Hornets supposedly also were considering with that pick -- Justise Winslow or Devin Booker -- would have been better choices.

If the Hornets had convinced themselves they absolutely had to have a big, they also could have drafted Myles Turner, who went 2 picks later to the Pacers. Turner is a far better defensive player and, surprisingly, has been a better 3-point shooter in the NBA than Kaminsky.

So it's hard to defend Kaminsky from the "bust" tag ... and it's impossible to defend Jordan & Co. for not taking 4 draft picks from the Celtics, who were trying to trade up to draft Winslow.

Ainge is considered a genius, and it's hard to argue with most of his results, but he would have badly overpaid for Winslow and that trade could have made it difficult if not impossible to build the roster he now has.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 02:12:34 PM »

Speaking of boob ... see the first 10 seconds of the Dekker video

They're outstanding!
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 02:36:52 PM »

Speaking of boob ... see the first 10 seconds of the Dekker video

They're outstanding!

I bet you've got a lot of nice ties, Ty...

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2019, 02:38:05 PM »
I could watch that video of DeKKKer all day!

They exercised that option for this season back in 2017. After this season, Kaminsky will become a restricted free agent; Charlotte can then either give him a qualifying offer of $4.9 million, match any offer sheet he signs with another team or agree to a new deal. It is generally believed they will not give him a qualifying offer and he will go elsewhere.

As for the "bust" subject in the OP ...

Even though Kaminsky is 7 feet tall, when the Hornets play him it is said they are "undersized" on the court. He's one of those big men who tends to play smaller than he is because he is poor at defending a fellow big man, is not an especially good rebounder and he rarely blocks shots. But when the Hornets tried to play him at the 4, he couldn't stay with anybody quicker ... and most are quicker. The Hornets thought he would develop into a big-time 3-point shooter whose offensive skill would outweigh his defensive liabilities -- kind of a Dirk Lite. However, he has made 35% of his 3s in only one of his 4 seasons, and his shortcomings have led to the Hornets giving up on him.

As it turns out, either of the two players the Hornets supposedly also were considering with that pick -- Justise Winslow or Devin Booker -- would have been better choices.

If the Hornets had convinced themselves they absolutely had to have a big, they also could have drafted Myles Turner, who went 2 picks later to the Pacers. Turner is a far better defensive player and, surprisingly, has been a better 3-point shooter in the NBA than Kaminsky.

So it's hard to defend Kaminsky from the "bust" tag ... and it's impossible to defend Jordan & Co. for not taking 4 draft picks from the Celtics, who were trying to trade up to draft Winslow.

Ainge is considered a genius, and it's hard to argue with most of his results, but he would have badly overpaid for Winslow and that trade could have made it difficult if not impossible to build the roster he now has.

Totally forgot about that! As a Heat fan I like Winslow, good versatile utility guy, steadily improving, but that would have been WAY too much to pay for him.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 04:36:10 PM »

Maybe more of a Dirk ULTRA, EXTRA, SUPER, YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME Lite.

Or maybe just Jack Sikma Lite.

Seems he is falling short of both....

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 06:50:12 PM »
maybe this wrecked him a little bit...the ole fall off the floor routine-wtf i guess

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/wisconsins-pregame-tradition-at-minnesota-is-the-whitest-thing-ever

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 06:11:11 PM »
maybe this wrecked him a little bit...the ole fall off the floor routine-wtf i guess

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstoolu/wisconsins-pregame-tradition-at-minnesota-is-the-whitest-thing-ever

Bo taught his players every imaginable form of flopping.....

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 09:37:03 PM »

Bo taught his players every imaginable form of flopping.....

bo says, either go diving off the cliff for loose balls or get punched in them by davison ;D