Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Commonalities in the 3 losses  (Read 8414 times)

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
Re: Commonalities in the 3 losses
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2019, 08:22:09 AM »
Agree.

And if anyone wants another common factor in the two bad losses: IU was our first true road game all season, and SJU was our first true road game in 6 weeks. The good news is that this team has adapted and had some nice road wins of late. We have proven we can start slow and come back (@Creighton and @X), win a tight back and forth (@GTown) and win going away (@ Butler).

We got this.

Correct.  I think we're maybe reaching for commonalities that aren't really there.  I think it's as simple as IU and SJU were the toughest road games we've had all season, and they were also the first two we played. 

I think the guys have gotten better playing on the road, but honestly X, Creighton, GTown, and Butler just aren't good teams. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2019, 08:38:52 AM »

Correct.  I think we're maybe reaching for commonalities that aren't really there.  I think it's as simple as IU and SJU were the toughest road games we've had all season, and they were also the first two we played. 

I think the guys have gotten better playing on the road, but honestly X, Creighton, GTown, and Butler just aren't good teams.

Agree with that...but frankly SJU really isn't any better. They are right in the middle of them in the standings at 4-5, and have already lost to two of the teams that we've beaten away from the Forvm (GTown at home and Butler at Hinkle).

I know Ponds is a handful, but I still believe our loss last month was an aberration....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2019, 03:16:26 PM »

I still believe our loss last month was an aberration....

I don't think it was an aberration at all. It's college basketball. Not easy to win on the road.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2019, 03:16:33 PM »
Matt for FTs. And I known I'm one of the only ones that thinks this, but Ed is only 6-7, I don't see why he can't play along side Theo as a true PF.  I trust Wojo to make the right moves and with StJs roster the way it is, I don't think it'll happen against them, but I certainly think there are situations where it would work.

Ed maybe 6-7 but offensively hus range is layup n closer
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 09:28:05 AM »
I don't think it was an aberration at all. It's college basketball. Not easy to win on the road.
The last three years (this season and the previous 2) for whatever reason, the SJU-MU games have not been competitive, with the home team winning easily each time.  Hopefully the the trend continues tomorrow.  But I agree with the opening post that St. John's fits a type, athletic with big quick guards, that seems like will give us trouble.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2019, 09:41:53 AM »

I wasn't referring simply to the fact that we lost on the road. You're right - it happens. I was referring to the fact that SJU manhandled us, and the resulting overemphasis (IMHO) by many here of playing style similarities between SJU and IU.

In any event, I stand by my primary point: The most significant commonality between the IU and SJU games was the first road game [of the season/in six weeks] factor.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2019, 10:20:43 AM »

I wasn't referring simply to the fact that we lost on the road. You're right - it happens. I was referring to the fact that SJU manhandled us, and the resulting overemphasis (IMHO) by many here of playing style similarities between SJU and IU.

In any event, I stand by my primary point: The most significant commonality between the IU and SJU games was the first road game [of the season/in six weeks] factor.

Ah ... got it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2019, 07:07:12 AM »
MU has lost 3 times.    What happened in the 3 losses that was common?
1.   Not at Fiserv.    Hey, MU has bounced back and has played well on the road since the SJU game.
2.  The other teams were faster than MU.   
3.  IU and SJU both spread MU out with some 5-out looks that made it next to impossible to help.   
4.  Markus did not have good games.   Long defenders and lots of them. 
5.  Turnovers.    The other team forced turnovers.   MU wasn't able to recover from the rut and go on a run of hitting shots. 

Kansas, to me, feels like an outlier.    MU won the first half, played as bad as they could have possible played for 10 minutes, and then played them even for the last 10 minutes, but couldn't get the big stop or big hoop to make it interesting.   IU and SJU were just beat downs. 

MU has an opportunity to avenge the SJU loss.   I will be curious to see what adjustments Wojo makes and if SJU can get out of their tailspin.   

Going forward, fear the speedy 5 out teams with an abundance of big guards who pressure the ballhandlers.    Which teams fit that criteria?
2, 3, 4, 5 apply.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2019, 07:18:18 AM »
2, 3, 4, 5 apply.

We only had 9 turnovers to their 10. Points off turnovers maybe after how dreadful we were in that category in the first half, but we valued the ball fine considering how much speed and length StJ had.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2019, 07:18:56 AM »
If we play St. John’s again...

I would like to see more of the smaller line up. Cain would be a possibility.

I thought their speed is more of the problem then the length. More posting and paint touches. Our shots appeared rushed.

I would also like to see more of a 1 3 1 on our defense or different match up zones

Running 2 people at ponds was effective when they did it.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2019, 07:45:13 AM »
If we play St. John’s again...

I would like to see more of the smaller line up. Cain would be a possibility.

I thought their speed is more of the problem then the length. More posting and paint touches. Our shots appeared rushed.

I would also like to see more of a 1 3 1 on our defense or different match up zones

Running 2 people at ponds was effective when they did it.

I'd like MU's chances if we match up again.  In the 2nd half it finally felt like we matched STJ's intensity and the results were pretty good, other than Ponds they seemed pretty lost.  If we understand that and play that way for more than 15 minutes I think MU wins comfortably.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2019, 07:55:26 AM »
We only had 9 turnovers to their 10. Points off turnovers maybe after how dreadful we were in that category in the first half, but we valued the ball fine considering how much speed and length StJ had.

You make a valid point.   The impact of Clark picking Sam clean and going down to hit a pull up 3 and the impact of the stolen inbounds pass leading to an uncontested lay up on the other end while the team stood and watched had a more emotional impact on me and made me not think of the actual number.   

Sam, Joey, and Markus combining to go 11-36 impacted the game more. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 07:57:34 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2019, 08:00:47 AM »
You make a valid point.   The impact of Clark picking Sam clean and going down to hit a pull up 3 and the impact of the stolen inbounds pass leading to an uncontested lay up on the other end while the team stood and watched had a more emotional impact on me and made me not think of the actual number.   

The fact that when Markus picked Ponds clean in the first half, we had a 2 on 1 and got nothing out of it didn't help.  I don't know what the points off TOs was, but I doubt we won that.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2019, 08:02:53 AM »
At one point, it was 10-0 for SJU.   I don't know the final tally.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2019, 08:22:33 AM »

Clark went scoreless, so it had to be someone else.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2019, 08:25:18 AM »
Clark went scoreless, so it had to be someone else.

Figueroa.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2019, 08:30:59 AM »
Doh, and thank you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2019, 09:12:45 AM »
At one point, it was 10-0 for SJU.   I don't know the final tally.

At one point it was 17-0. I also don't know the final tally.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback