[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Famous Depaul Alumni  (Read 79234 times)

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: Famous Depaul Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2014, 08:24:47 AM »
The band "Chicago" is Depaul alumni.

I believe it was the band Chicago's manager that ran the Demon Dogs hit dog stand under the El tracks. The band used to be called Chicago Transit Authority until the CTA objected.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2014, 08:40:18 AM »
Given that he just passed away in 2013, I'm giving Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek his own post. Rest in Peace.

http://www.depauliaonline.com/mobile/arts-life/ray-manzarek-depaul-alum-dies-at-74-1.3044821

We Are Marquette

chr31ter

• Walk-On
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2014, 12:43:30 PM »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2014, 12:19:57 PM »
Bump. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

ATVSandKARATE

• Scholarship Player
  • Deflections!
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2014, 12:28:19 PM »
Not to mention the time he illegally plowed under a working airport in the middle of the night so he could create a garden for his wife.  Thank god nobody had to divert that night.
How was it illegal? It was essentially used as a private airport for politicians? And I used to work there. It was turned into a public beach that is now a concert venue.
I have been thinking about you a lot since last weekend. A whole lot.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2014, 12:38:47 PM »
How was it illegal? It was essentially used as a private airport for politicians? And I used to work there. It was turned into a public beach that is now a concert venue.

Not sure if it was "illegal," but it was against FAA regulations to destroy the runways without advance notice. 

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2014, 12:44:16 PM »

I've seen Umphreys McGee there. The band that others in this thread said wasn't famous. What a joke.
Bring back FFP!!!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2014, 01:08:39 PM »
Yondu from Guardians of the Galaxy

Did he get his blue skin color from the Blue Demon?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2014, 01:17:32 PM »
John C. Reily Played one in Boogie Nights.

Last year my wife saw John C, his wife, and their two kids pass through the security line at JFK Airport.  John C. and his two sons were dressed in identical safari-type outfits while sporting Panama Jack hats. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2014, 03:21:50 PM »

Not sure if it was "illegal," but it was against FAA regulations to destroy the runways without advance notice. 

Hmmmm....don't tell Saddam that. I would hate to get cited by the FAA for f ucking up his runways with BLU 107s... We forgot to tell him we were coming...

Death on call

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2014, 03:39:35 PM »
Daley was a brutal mayor.  His priority was always to make money for his family and friends and all other efforts to build some type of legacy.  He peddled influence and entered into many bad deals for the city to benefit a small group of his cronies.  Changed zoning requirement demanding 'decorative fencing' for any commercial or vacant site.  Guess who owned the fencing companies in the city that benefited?  Privatized parking meters and other city assets in long term leases and then spent the money faster then planned.  Was over budget his entire career and left Emmanuel with a deficit in excess of $1 Billion.  Guess which law firm took Daley in after he retired?  Yes, the same one who he gave no-bid city business to over his run as mayor.  When his nephews got into obvious trouble, whether criminal or otherwise, he lost his memory as to whether he was involved helping the police not properly investigate a beating given by a nephew or allowing another nephew to handle investments for a city based pension or overspending on every city project ever proposed.  His legacy was to be the Olympics.  Thank goodness he could not get that approved or the city would have never recovered.  

He was a nice guy, not too smart, with a great name to be mayor in Chicago.

314warrior

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »
Hmmmm....don't tell Saddam that. I would hate to get cited by the FAA for f ucking up his runways with BLU 107s... We forgot to tell him we were coming...

The FAA doesn't have authority over airports outside of the United States.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2014, 03:47:58 PM »
The FAA doesn't have authority over airports outside of the United States.

<sigh>

ATVSandKARATE

• Scholarship Player
  • Deflections!
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2014, 04:15:52 PM »
 Changed zoning requirement demanding 'decorative fencing' for any commercial or vacant site.  
He did this in response to several rapes that happened in vacant lots. There was no law stating where the fences had to come from.
Privatized parking meters and other city assets in long term leases and then spent the money faster then planned. 
Used this to make payroll during the recession. I thought it was a better move than laying off thousands of city employees.
Guess which law firm took Daley in after he retired? 
That would be the one that his brother built up.

ATVSandKARATE

• Scholarship Player
  • Deflections!
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2014, 04:17:58 PM »
Is Drake Diener famous enough to be on this list?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2014, 04:45:32 PM »

Violation of federal regulations, you have to notify the FAA if any runways will be inoperable so they can post an airmans notice.  Also a federal crime to destroy federally regulated property.

Like I said it was a good thing that a non-commercial flight didn't have to divert that night or the next day.....could have killed someone
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2014, 05:02:10 PM »
Is Drake Diener famous enough to be on this list?
Only as Travis's not-so-famous cousin.  But by his own merit?  No.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2014, 05:29:27 PM »
He did this in response to several rapes that happened in vacant lots. There was no law stating where the fences had to come from.  Used this to make payroll during the recession. I thought it was a better move than laying off thousands of city employees.That would be the one that his brother built up.

Who knew that Richie Daley's publicist was a Scooper?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 05:34:05 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2014, 05:41:14 PM »
Who knew that Richie Daley's publicist was a Scooper?

Meigs was still the best: closing the airport out of "safety/security concerns" for the lakefront post-9/11 actually relaxed airspace restrictions over the Loop.

314warrior

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2014, 06:16:13 PM »
<sigh>
My sense of humor has been described as "please stop" and "you're ruining dinner"

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2014, 07:31:50 PM »
He did this in response to several rapes that happened in vacant lots. There was no law stating where the fences had to come from.  Used this to make payroll during the recession. I thought it was a better move than laying off thousands of city employees.That would be the one that his brother built up.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, you have really gulped down the Daley Kool-Aid.  You're flat out factually wrong on every point you make. 

1. The privatization efforts happened two years before the recession but Daley had the money wasted just in time for the recession.  Make payroll?  For whom?  You must have forgotten when Daley said he would accept a pay raise (from $192,000) even as he’s laying off 625 city workers and eliminating 1,000 vacant jobs to help cover a $116-million budget deficit.  I also forgot to mention that the privatization of the parking meters went to a a company where yet another Daley nephew worked.

2.  The idea that the ORNAMENTAL FENCES was to prevent rapes and that Daley used that as the reason is wrong.  Did you just make that one up?  THis had absolutely nothing to do with public safety.  See below.

3.  Law firm his brother built up?  I assume you're talking about his brother William who was a partner at Mayer Brown & Platt (now just Mayer Brown) for a total of 4 years.  Did you mean Mike Daley?  He is at Daley & George.   Did you know that Mayor Richard Daley went to Katten Muchin....the firm I mentioned.  No connection to the Mayor except for all the city business they received from Daley.

------------------------------------

This is from the Chicago Tribune on the fences:

Jacquelyn Heard, the mayor's press secretary, said Daley is often approached by residents and community leaders requesting a new fence or thanking him for one that has been erected.

"The mayor basically adopted the use of ornamental iron to improve the look of the city," she said. "It defines space, offers elegance, protects landscaping and provides security."

The mayor's fence initiative was part of a larger "urban streetscaping" effort that included vintage-style lights, flowers in street medians and thousands of new trees.

Since the Daley edict, the city and other Daley-controlled agencies--the Park District, school board, Chicago Housing Authority and Chicago Transit Authority-- have spent millions on ornamental iron fences. Nearly all the work has gone to one politically connected firm, G.F. Structures.

Under its current fence contracts, G.F. Structures has been paid $10.5 million by the city since 1997, and nearly another $3 million from the parks and schools.

The Tribune reported that G.F. Structures was allowed to change its prices immediately after it won the city's fence contract--in effect, circumventing the bidding process. The same thing happened after it won the fence contract at the Park District.

The result was that G.F. Structures was allowed to supply fencing that was more expensive than originally specified in the contract. Daley has called for a full audit of G.F. Structures to examine the alleged billing improprieties and an overhaul of the city's Purchasing Department to ensure stricter controls.

The fencing push began in earnest on the Near West Side at a time when the city was gussying up in anticipation of the 1996 Democratic National Convention.

Here is another story from the NY TImes: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE1DF1F3BF931A25750C0A9669D8B63

l

chr31ter

• Walk-On
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2014, 10:46:16 PM »
Only as Travis's not-so-famous cousin.  But by his own merit?  No.
But he's got his own Wikipedia page.  Did you know he was the 2014 Italian League Most Valuable Player?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_Diener

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2014, 07:55:43 AM »
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, you have really gulped down the Daley Kool-Aid.  You're flat out factually wrong on every point you make. 

1. The privatization efforts happened two years before the recession but Daley had the money wasted just in time for the recession.  Make payroll?  For whom?  You must have forgotten when Daley said he would accept a pay raise (from $192,000) even as he’s laying off 625 city workers and eliminating 1,000 vacant jobs to help cover a $116-million budget deficit.  I also forgot to mention that the privatization of the parking meters went to a a company where yet another Daley nephew worked.

2.  The idea that the ORNAMENTAL FENCES was to prevent rapes and that Daley used that as the reason is wrong.  Did you just make that one up?  THis had absolutely nothing to do with public safety.  See below.

3.  Law firm his brother built up?  I assume you're talking about his brother William who was a partner at Mayer Brown & Platt (now just Mayer Brown) for a total of 4 years.  Did you mean Mike Daley?  He is at Daley & George.   Did you know that Mayor Richard Daley went to Katten Muchin....the firm I mentioned.  No connection to the Mayor except for all the city business they received from Daley.

------------------------------------

This is from the Chicago Tribune on the fences:

Jacquelyn Heard, the mayor's press secretary, said Daley is often approached by residents and community leaders requesting a new fence or thanking him for one that has been erected.

"The mayor basically adopted the use of ornamental iron to improve the look of the city," she said. "It defines space, offers elegance, protects landscaping and provides security."

The mayor's fence initiative was part of a larger "urban streetscaping" effort that included vintage-style lights, flowers in street medians and thousands of new trees.

Since the Daley edict, the city and other Daley-controlled agencies--the Park District, school board, Chicago Housing Authority and Chicago Transit Authority-- have spent millions on ornamental iron fences. Nearly all the work has gone to one politically connected firm, G.F. Structures.

Under its current fence contracts, G.F. Structures has been paid $10.5 million by the city since 1997, and nearly another $3 million from the parks and schools.

The Tribune reported that G.F. Structures was allowed to change its prices immediately after it won the city's fence contract--in effect, circumventing the bidding process. The same thing happened after it won the fence contract at the Park District.

The result was that G.F. Structures was allowed to supply fencing that was more expensive than originally specified in the contract. Daley has called for a full audit of G.F. Structures to examine the alleged billing improprieties and an overhaul of the city's Purchasing Department to ensure stricter controls.

The fencing push began in earnest on the Near West Side at a time when the city was gussying up in anticipation of the 1996 Democratic National Convention.

Here is another story from the NY TImes: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE1DF1F3BF931A25750C0A9669D8B63

l

Absolutely nailed it on every point.  The only worse mayor was his father, who had the same agenda and famously said in response to a question about steering insurance business to one of his sons:  "If a man can't put his arms around his sons and help them, then what's the world coming to?"  Brilliant in deflecting his corruption through an inarguable sentiment.  Read American Pharaoh for a true understanding of the permanent damage he did to Chicago, particularly through his public housing plan which ensured that Chicago would be among the most segregated cities in the nation for decades.  Somehow the city has overcome the 50 year Daley run--it saddens me to think how much better it could have been...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2014, 08:03:13 AM »
I was a fan of Daley. (Besides the parking meter debacle) Dude was a character. Parents liked him to. My parents hate Rahm because they are both teachers anand are not a fan of the charter school movement.

Although, if you get a chance, check out Maggie Daley park, not even completely finished but it's beautiful.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2014, 08:07:17 AM »
It's not like Chicago developed the "Chicago Way" reputation it has out of nowhere. They are all just products of the environment they cut their teeth in.