Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

How many?

8 (3.5%)
35 (15.2%)
136 (59.1%)
49 (21.3%)
2 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 229

Author Topic: Big East Bids  (Read 15448 times)

HowardsWorld

• All American
Re: Big East Bids
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 11:15:41 AM »
2 is really hard to imagine. The one Scooper saying that always complains that no one tells him who in the Big East will convincingly get in, yet he can't say who will take those 2-3 spots if we don't get them. 3 isn't impossible, but it probably only happens with numerous bid thieves. Utah State, Toledo, ETSU, and St Mary's getting autobids.

I don't feel like taking the time to look outside the conference. If I had to wager on it I would bet Seton Hall gets in and thats it. Everyone is high on St.Johns for some reason. I bet they lose there next 3 and are looking in barring some miraculous turnaround.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 11:16:45 AM »
I don't feel like taking the time to look outside the conference. If I had to wager on it I would bet Seton Hall gets in and thats it. Everyone is high on St.Johns for some reason. I bet they lose there next 3 and are looking in barring some miraculous turnaround. I am also banking on Marqutte not slipping up to anyone outside Nova which most likely will not happen.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 11:17:14 AM »
I don't feel like taking the time to look outside the conference. If I had to wager on it I would bet Seton Hall gets in and thats it. Everyone is high on St.Johns for some reason. I bet they lose there next 3 and are looking in barring some miraculous turnaround.

Not to be a prick, but in other words, you have no idea what you're talking about.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2019, 11:19:14 AM »
Not to be a prick, but in other words, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'll still be here on selection sunday to either admit I was wrong or not.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2019, 11:20:18 AM »
I'll still be here on selection sunday to either admit I was wrong or not.

I would love to take you up on your wager of 3 teams.  You get 3 and under, I get 4 and over.  Let me know.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 11:22:50 AM »
I don't feel like taking the time to look outside the conference.

But without that context how can anyone take your opinion seriously? It's like saying you aren't speeding when your speedometer is broken. Until you drive by the cop with a radar gun, you really don't know.

To keep those teams out, you need 35 teams that are more deserving. And if you're right about St John's, then Creighton is likely right back in the NCAA mix.

This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum, and without the proper context, your argument rings pretty hollow.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2019, 01:46:27 PM »
But without that context how can anyone take your opinion seriously? It's like saying you aren't speeding when your speedometer is broken. Until you drive by the cop with a radar gun, you really don't know.

To keep those teams out, you need 35 teams that are more deserving. And if you're right about St John's, then Creighton is likely right back in the NCAA mix.

This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum, and without the proper context, your argument rings pretty hollow.

To be fair, shooting your mouth off on a message board to say, which 1 of 8 teams will get in, is not making as taxing a demand as asking someone to choose 30 from 300 (or whatever) to prove the opposite.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2019, 01:55:46 PM »
To be fair, shooting your mouth off on a message board to say, which 1 of 8 teams will get in, is not making as taxing a demand as asking someone to choose 30 from 300 (or whatever) to prove the opposite.

First, I think if you're going to make a claim as bold as saying the league will have it's fewest ever bids, I think it's fair to ask for some justification.

And you can already pencil in minimum at large bids of 7 in the Big 10, 7 in the ACC, 6 in the Big 12, 5 in the SEC, & 1 from the Big East. That's 26/36 at large bids, so it's really just sussing out 10 teams that will edge SHU, SJU, and Butler.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2019, 02:21:12 PM »
2 only is not impossible...certainly if MU goes 17-1 and Nova 16-2, and everyone else cannibalizes to sub-500....I think its possible...just because we see that now: (MU/NOVA on top and everyone else 3-4/2-4), doesn't mean it will stay that way.
Even if you assume nova and MU stay on top, and even if you assume everyone else is about even(they're not), someone will rise, someone fall.

i think whoever is #3 will have a good enough record to qualify even if its Depaul or Providence or whoever.

#4 may or may not qualify (depending on who) but I would think between 4/5 in the BE will be a team with a good enough resume to make it....maybe pushing the bubble, but make it.

Certainly if the unlikely happens and Nova and MU continue to "win-out" and everyone else beats each other into sub-500 territory, that will be very very interesting.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2019, 02:27:05 PM »

St. John's: The bubble looks soft enough that 10-8 should be enough despite the wretched non-conference. They are favored in 8/11 conference games, though 2 are toss-ups (50 & 51%).

Also, St. John's non-con gets a little less wretched next weekend. Even if they lose @ Duke, it should be a bump to their NET ranking.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2019, 02:29:57 PM »
I don't think you can look at just Conference standings and automatically say that whomever finishes 3rd gets a bid.  Last year, we were one game out of third, and were at best the 5th team out.  Last year, the 2nd place Pac 12, 12-6 conference record USC team did not get a bid, but the 8th place Pac 12, 8-10 ASU team did.  Outside the top 2, SH has the best non-conference wins, so even if they don't finish 3rd, they could still get a bid.  Winning Sunday would go a long way in helping their cause.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2019, 03:00:34 PM »
I don't think you can look at just Conference standings and automatically say that whomever finishes 3rd gets a bid.  Last year, we were one game out of third, and were at best the 5th team out.  Last year, the 2nd place Pac 12, 12-6 conference record USC team did not get a bid, but the 8th place Pac 12, 8-10 ASU team did.  Outside the top 2, SH has the best non-conference wins, so even if they don't finish 3rd, they could still get a bid.  Winning Sunday would go a long way in helping their cause.

True but lets just say the 3rd place team goes 11-7 (I think it will be 12 but lets just say)...now its certainly possible that 3rd place could have 10,9 or even 8 wins....but in those cases we're getting into the cannibalism argument I posed earlier...where I admit we "could" have only 2 teams in).

So say its 11-7 and its Depaul. They have no good non-con wins...but they already have wins @SH,vSH,@SJ  the other 8 wins lets say come from the bottom not top of BE and home if possible:  vGT,@GT,vPR,@PR,vCR,@CR,vSJ,vBT

DePaul would then be 19-10, 3rd in the BE, some decent road wins (@SH,@SJ, etc...)  a satisfying Q2 and maybe some Q1 depending on SH and SJ (which would be <=11-7 themselves).

Lots of hypotheticals but I think even the worst BE#3 at 11-7 gets in.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2019, 03:09:28 PM »
True but lets just say the 3rd place team goes 11-7 (I think it will be 12 but lets just say)...now its certainly possible that 3rd place could have 10,9 or even 8 wins....but in those cases we're getting into the cannibalism argument I posed earlier...where I admit we "could" have only 2 teams in).

So say its 11-7 and its Depaul. They have no good non-con wins...but they already have wins @SH,vSH,@SJ  the other 8 wins lets say come from the bottom not top of BE and home if possible:  vGT,@GT,vPR,@PR,vCR,@CR,vSJ,vBT

DePaul would then be 19-10, 3rd in the BE, some decent road wins (@SH,@SJ, etc...)  a satisfying Q2 and maybe some Q1 depending on SH and SJ (which would be <=11-7 themselves).

Lots of hypotheticals but I think even the worst BE#3 at 11-7 gets in.

I mean, there are way too many hypothetical's at this point, all I was trying to say is that if the conference only gets 4 bids (which is what I voted for), it should not be a forgone conclusion that those 4 teams finish 1,2,3,4 in the standings. 

Edit: Especially since I think all 10 teams could win the BET.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:14:46 PM by Its DJOver »
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2019, 02:39:06 AM »
I mean, there are way too many hypothetical's at this point, all I was trying to say is that if the conference only gets 4 bids (which is what I voted for), it should not be a forgone conclusion that those 4 teams finish 1,2,3,4 in the standings. 

Edit: Especially since I think all 10 teams could win the BET.

I think it's interesting to think about which teams get in at 9-9. Us and Nova I'd say are the only locks at that record. Hall and Butler are probably bubble teams at 9-9.

I think there's a decent chance 9-9 will be T4 in the final standings.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2019, 02:40:54 AM »
It's frustrating that this year 9-9 or even 8-10 could get some serious consideration whereas we were out at 9-9 last year and three years ago at 8-10.

Maigh Eo for Sam

1SE

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2019, 02:47:27 AM »
It's frustrating that this year 9-9 or even 8-10 could get some serious consideration whereas we were out at 9-9 last year and three years ago at 8-10.

To be fair, if 9-9 hadn't included that DePaul loss last year we might have sneaked in.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2019, 02:49:31 AM »
To be fair, if 9-9 hadn't included that DePaul loss last year we might have sneaked in.

Fair point. What a different perspective everybody would have on Wojo and the process of "rebuilding"
Maigh Eo for Sam

1SE

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2019, 02:53:24 AM »
Fair point. What a different perspective everybody would have on Wojo and the process of "rebuilding"

I'd say it was the worst loss of the Wojo era in terms of what it meant for the rebuild progression.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2019, 03:06:37 AM »
I'd say it was the worst loss of the Wojo era in terms of what it meant for the rebuild progression.

Agreed, actually really frustrating that two depaul losses are the difference between Wojo's rebuild being "bad season, NIT , NCAA, NCAA" vs bad season, no Postseason, NCAA NIT.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2019, 03:13:42 AM »
Agreed, actually really frustrating that two depaul losses are the difference between Wojo's rebuild being "bad season, NIT , NCAA, NCAA" vs bad season, no Postseason, NCAA NIT.

That Billy Garrett three point play was still BS though.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2019, 06:51:35 AM »
I think it's interesting to think about which teams get in at 9-9. Us and Nova I'd say are the only locks at that record. Hall and Butler are probably bubble teams at 9-9.

I don't think Nova is a lock at 9-9, but I also don't see any way they go from 6-0 to 9-9.

I think MU and Seton Hall are locks at 9-9. Butler is probably on the bubble. Creighton, St John's, and Villanova are likely in at 10-8, definitely at 11-7. Everyone else needs 11-7 or better.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2019, 01:24:31 PM »
four: MU, Hall, Nova, SJU

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2019, 01:27:48 PM »

I think I would put PC in there instead of St. Johns. THey're still pretty young, but talented and should be getting healthy rather soon.

Not looking forward to playing them at the Dunk or for the next couple of years for that matter.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2019, 09:48:19 AM »

Looking pretty prescient

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2019, 10:07:50 AM »
Looking pretty prescient

Agreed!   When I saw this, I thought you were talking about a post from the past couple days and thought "Well yeah, duh..."  Then realized it was nearly a month ago.

feedback