[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Ranking Wojo's Freshmen Recruits  (Read 8733 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Ranking Wojo's Freshmen Recruits
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 01:38:13 PM »
I like his toughness as well but hes along way from the best.  Maybe the OP is 8years old,  but even then he has to remember DG?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2019, 01:51:13 PM »
I like his toughness as well but hes along way from the best.  Maybe the OP is 8years old,  but even then he has to remember DG?

Davante didn’t really do the things people typically associate with a “Big Man”.

I think Youssoupha Mboa should be the most offended. Name me one other center playing the top of a 1-3-1 zone.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2019, 02:03:51 PM »

No, I'm well over 40. I said "potentially" for a reason. He would have to continue developing. Will obviously never have Davante's offensive game however.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2019, 02:41:13 PM »
I think Bailey will be an impact player if not next season certainly his junior season. JFB did not look like the player he is when he first came here.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2019, 03:00:34 PM »
No, I'm well over 40. I said "potentially" for a reason. He would have to continue developing. Will obviously never have Davante's offensive game however.

Jim mcilvaine or amal mccaskil just to give u a start

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2019, 03:05:36 PM »

Well to be fair, Mac did graduate 25 years ago now and his sophomore year was 27 years ago. So really he shouldn't be in consideration.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2019, 03:19:11 PM »
my point on theo is he's a pretty damn good player at a position that is difficult to fill.  comparing him historically is one thing...comparing him to others currently in the BEAST (especially those that are sophomores) is another thing and shows the difficulty of recruiting his position.  his blocks per game are considerably higher than anyone else in the league.  his reb% is solid...and he likely gives up a little on defensive rebounding in order to get the blocks.  was interesting to hear mcdermott say in the huddle against MU that they should look to kick off the drive and not even bother challenging that beast...

i'd take a bunch of theo's at the 5 position...a 4yr kid who continues to develop.  serviceable from day one, pretty dang effective in year two, and here/improving for years 3/4.   ensure we have a 4 that can shoot, and continue this 4-out offense that is fun for kids to play in and has to help with recruiting.  allows you to recruit and run an offense that is pretty favorable to guys like joey and hank. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2019, 03:23:59 PM »
Wojo has had fourteen players who were on the roster as freshmen.  I am including Sandy Cohen since he had to be "re-recruited" when he started. Here is how I rank them based on their impact to date:

1. Markus Howard - potential BE player of the year and all-american candidate
2. Sam Hauser - would have been #1 pre-season
3. Sacar Anim - will be passed up on this list eventually but a solid two year starter and good defensive player
4. Henry Ellenson - BE rookie of the year and first team all BE
5. Joey Hauser - will be higher on this list next year, maybe even #1 before leaving MU
6. Theo John - potentially the best big man in 25 years and will also move up when all is said and done
7. Matt Heldt - solid but unspectacular big man
8. Haanif Cheatham - looked like he was going to be a key player after his freshman year
9. Sandy Cohen - looked better when the talent around him wasn't very good.
10. Greg Elliott - solid defensive player who hopefully can overcome his injury set backs
11. Jamal Cain - looked like a huge upside player after his freshman year but has struggled
12. Brendan Bailey - has potential that he has flashed at times
13. Traci Carter - point guard who couldn't score and had turnover issues
14. Ike Eke - hopefully we will get to see him play someday
I think on the basis of including Sandy you would need to include Nick Noskowiak since he signed a letter of intent with Wojo but ultimately had a personal collapse and did not matriculate. I would actually rate him 14th, because he worked hard while he was a commit to help recruit Henry and Haanif . So he did have an impact on the program.

I would rate Henry number 3.  We had a marriage of convenience  with him. Henry was an exceptional college basketball player and we got back to 20 wins during his one year rental which was very important to the program.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2019, 03:24:18 PM »
my point on theo is he's a pretty damn good player at a position that is difficult to fill.  comparing him historically is one thing...comparing him to others currently in the BEAST (especially those that are sophomores) is another thing and shows the difficulty of recruiting his position.  his blocks per game are considerably higher than anyone else in the league.  his reb% is solid...and he likely gives up a little on defensive rebounding in order to get the blocks.  was interesting to hear mcdermott say in the huddle against MU that they should look to kick off the drive and not even bother challenging that beast...

i'd take a bunch of theo's at the 5 position...a 4yr kid who continues to develop.  serviceable from day one, pretty dang effective in year two, and here/improving for years 3/4.   ensure we have a 4 that can shoot, and continue this 4-out offense that is fun for kids to play in and has to help with recruiting.  allows you to recruit and run an offense that is pretty favorable to guys like joey and hank.

After years of wishing that we could even get a good big man, much less a few of them, I think we are pretty lucky. Theo and Ed have been pretty damn good so far this year.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2019, 03:31:05 PM »

McIlvaine left 25 years ago so that was my starting point. John could be better than McCaskill when all is said and done. Again, this is why I used "potential." It's not like Marquette has been blessed with a lot of quality big men over the past 25 years.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2019, 03:47:38 PM »
After years of wishing that we could even get a good big man, much less a few of them, I think we are pretty lucky. Theo and Ed have been pretty damn good so far this year.

They have been a nice duo.  Combined stats:

33.7 mpg

12.1 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 2.8 bpg, 57.7% eFG, 60.5% ft (No matta)

I'm glad to have both. It makes the 5.8 fouls per game manageable.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2019, 04:08:00 PM »
Based on college contribution to date:

1. Markus
2. Sam
3. Henry
4. Joey (will eventually pass Henry, probably on par with Sam)

Big Gap
5. Sacar
6. Theo

Smaller gap
Everyone else

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2019, 04:09:48 PM »
Based on college contribution to date:

1. Markus
2. Sam
3. Henry
4. Joey (will eventually pass Henry, probably on par with Sam)

Big Gap
5. Sacar
6. Theo

Smaller gap
Everyone else

Agree 100%.

Also agree with Mom and Goose.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2019, 04:47:43 PM »
Well to be fair, Mac did graduate 25 years ago now and his sophomore year was 27 years ago. So really he shouldn't be in consideration.

Spring 1994 for Mac
Shortly after 1994 tournament run defeating Kentucky to go to Sweet 16 in Florida

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2019, 05:56:17 PM »
Spring 1994 for Mac
Shortly after 1994 tournament run defeating Kentucky to go to Sweet 16 in Florida

I have edited the original post.  It now reads "potentially the best big man in 24 years, nine months"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2019, 08:28:51 PM »
I don't think it is a stretch to say that John could be the best rim protector since Jimmy Mac. It's still early in his career so I need to see him do it with consistency, but he's putting up defensive numbers not seen since the Racine Rejector.

Best big man of the 25 years? I wouldn't say he's close yet. He has the defense but his offense and rebounding have a long ways to go. The best two I have seen in that time period are Robert Jackson and Henry Ellenson. Davante definitely above John at this point as well. Even Fischer and Merritt are on that list. There are others who may qualify but it depends on what you define as a big man. Was Novak a big man? Was Jae Crowder? Lazar Hayward? They all spent time playing the 5 for Marquette but I would say all of them are forwards. Even Joey Hauser could be considered a big man and I think we will be remembering him for a long time.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2019, 08:58:31 PM »
Nun of 'em could cary da Bike of #22, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2019, 09:12:52 PM »
Nun of 'em could cary da Bike of #22, aina?
Yah, Jimmy is the gold standard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2019, 10:18:05 PM »
Best big man of the 25 years? I wouldn't say he's close yet. He has the defense but his offense and rebounding have a long ways to go. The best two I have seen in that time period are Robert Jackson and Henry Ellenson. Davante definitely above John at this point as well. Even Fischer and Merritt are on that list.

John is already a better defender than anyone on that list. Not just shot blocking, but his ability to hold position & move in space. I also think in many ways he is like a point guard on defense in that his presence makes his teammates better. They know they have a dominating help defender in the post.

I also think the comment on his rebounding is misleading. Our three returning starters are all posting career highs in defensive rebounding percentage & as a team we are by far a better rebounding team than any under Wojo. Theo takes offensive rebounders out of plays, which often allows easier defensive rebounding opportunities for the other guys on the court, especially Markus & Sacar.

His impact on the defensive end is as pronounced on anyone save maybe Ellenson on the offensive end.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2019, 10:55:15 PM »
John is already a better defender than anyone on that list. Not just shot blocking, but his ability to hold position & move in space. I also think in many ways he is like a point guard on defense in that his presence makes his teammates better. They know they have a dominating help defender in the post.

I also think the comment on his rebounding is misleading. Our three returning starters are all posting career highs in defensive rebounding percentage & as a team we are by far a better rebounding team than any under Wojo. Theo takes offensive rebounders out of plays, which often allows easier defensive rebounding opportunities for the other guys on the court, especially Markus & Sacar.

His impact on the defensive end is as pronounced on anyone save maybe Ellenson on the offensive end.

You might be right about the defense.....but his offense is very far behind all of them and his rebounding is below everyone except maybe Davante. He also has had more trouble staying on the court than all the others.

None of this is a dis on Theo. I just see a few others who as seniors were significantly better than Theo is as a sophomore. He's got plenty of time to catch them.
TAMU

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2019, 10:02:20 AM »

I have edited the original post.  It now reads "potentially the best big man in 24 years, nine months"

HA!
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Holly Ellenson is my Mom

• Walk-On
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2019, 01:33:19 PM »
My Henry is absolutely number 1.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2019, 01:36:26 PM »

He did get us access to Wally., that can't be discounted.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2019, 01:37:57 PM »

Your Henry? Are we talking to Mr. or Mrs. Ellenson?
TAMU

Holly Ellenson is my Mom

• Walk-On
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2019, 01:40:23 PM »
Your Henry? Are we talking to Mr. or Mrs. Ellenson?

I havent commented in a while, and last time I was on my name was Holly Ellenson after she trashed MU....then I realized I changed my name and panicked and tried to delete the message.

feedback