'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: DePaul  (Read 5325 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
DePaul
« on: January 21, 2019, 11:01:03 AM »
Another interesting roster. While they don't have a true aircraft carrier on the roster, they have a ton of size and length. When Devin Gage goes to the bench, they can throw out a lineup that is 6'6", 6'6", 6'9", 6'9", 6'9". What's worse is all five of those players are mobile so any ball screen that we run they will be able to switch on with little to no defensive dropoff. Markus has struggled at times against opponents with long wingspans (see St. John's). He's going to need to pick his spots wisely (or hope for a friendly home whistle).

With Jalen Coleman-Lands out, DePaul only runs a 7.5 man rotation, with the 7th and .5 player combining to average only 3 points a game. People have noted that DePaul has trouble closing out games, this is one of the reasons why. Keep them moving on defense to wear them down and the shots will become easier the later the game goes. Also, any sort of foul trouble could be devastating for DePaul. They've managed to avoid it in the Big East so far with only 2 foul outs total in conference play.

Also with JCL out, DePaul only features two three point shooters. The other 5.5 men in their rotation have combined for a total of 14 3PMs. Strus has 51 and Cain 33 both with 37% accuracy. Stick to those two and you can sag off the others to clog the lane. John will have a lot of rejection opportunities if he can stay healthy. This is a game where it would be nice to get Georgetown Bailey. I think he could really help on Cain.

Everyone knows about Cain and Strus, but it has been the emergence of their big men that have allowed them to win 3 of their last 4. Paul Reed is averaging 16 points and 9.8 rebounds with 58.7% shooting in Big East play. Femi Olujobi is averaging 16.3 points and 5.3 rebounds with 72.6% shooting over the same stretch. Neither can shoot it with much accuracy but they are a efficient scorers. Olujobi a traditional back to the basket big man while Reed is a lot more mobile. Gotta find a way to keep them closer to their non-conference averages than their conference averages.

All this being said, I still expect to win by 10 or so points. I don't think it will be the blowout we hope for against DePaul and I also think it will make us more uncomfortable than we would like. This is the best DePaul team in over a decade. Too bad they are going to lose their top 3 players to graduation. They seem close to breaking out of the basement but that's a lot of production to make up for.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
Re: DePaul
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:12:59 PM »
DePaul has not figured out how to win yet.    The talent isn't bad.   And you better make hay now, because there is a lot more talent coming next year.     For now, it appears that they are just waiting for something bad to happen at the end.    Of course, I would like MU to win 120-0.   Since that isn't going to happen.......    Don't get beat early, put them away in the last 8 minutes like against Providence.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 12:15:39 PM »
I certainly won’t complain about winning, but I would love to win wire to wire, going away just one time.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 12:21:12 PM »
I certainly won’t complain about winning, but I would love to win wire to wire, going away just one time.

If this team had done that more against the cupcakes, specifically UTEP, there would not be NET complaints right now.    Just doesn't seem to be the style  this year. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 12:21:41 PM »
DePaul will be a headache for MU.   We need to control tempo and offensive rebounds. DePaul is second in Big East in offensive rebounding.  Those second chance points have been huge in their wins.  When a shot goes up, they all crash the boards.   If you look st our last game vs PC, we got killed on the offensive glass, especially first half.   We shoot and some of our guys are running the other way to set up the defense instead of going for the rebound.

Wednesday will be a tough game.   We need to bring it.  Hope we ge a big, loud crowd too. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:30:29 PM by Daniel »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 12:35:26 PM »

I have learned that I don't need to stress just because Marquette is behind by double digits in the first 3/4s of a game.

Repetition is the key to adult learning.   ;D
Have some patience, FFS.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 12:51:25 PM »
DePaul will be a headache for MU.   We need to control temp and offensive rebounds.

The key to winning is not just the temp, but where the cold drafts are coming from. Keep them isolated to the visitor bench.
DePaul will be too chilly to be effective.

#ColdservForum

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 01:12:34 PM »
DePaul's best team since the Conference USA days. First weeknight home game since North Dakota for Marquette. Crowd will not be in that neighborhood as we are getting use to these pack houses with Buffalo, Xavier, Seton Hall & Providence. Heck, Southern even had a nice sized crowd. It will not be the case this Wednesday.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 01:13:41 PM »

Just 2 weeks ago vs. Xavier, never trailed, opened a double-digit lead fairly early, led by 20 midway through the second half, cruised to never-in-doubt win, Marotta got in at the end.

Kinda like that?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 01:21:14 PM »
Just 2 weeks ago vs. Xavier, never trailed, opened a double-digit lead fairly early, led by 20 midway through the second half, cruised to never-in-doubt win, Marotta got in at the end.

Kinda like that?

Easy to forget about that one.  Sloppy game.  Did not feel like the margin was 18.   
But I recognize that NET doesn't take style points into account, and I'll take any win at all over DePaul.  They give us fits even when they're bad.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 01:26:59 PM »
Easy to forget about that one.  Sloppy game.  Did not feel like the margin was 18.   
But I recognize that NET doesn't take style points into account, and I'll take any win at all over DePaul.  They give us fits even when they're bad.

I think there have been times in the past when we took DePaul too lightly.  I'm guessing that won't happen this week.  I'm expecting that the standard will be a full 40 minutes of basketball.  I'm confident our guys understand that the first half yesterday wasn't nearly good enough and that we put ourselves in jeopardy.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 03:08:12 PM »
DePaul's best team since the Conference USA days. First weeknight home game since North Dakota for Marquette. Crowd will not be in that neighborhood as we are getting use to these pack houses with Buffalo, Xavier, Seton Hall & Providence. Heck, Southern even had a nice sized crowd. It will not be the case this Wednesday.

Wilson Chandlers sophomore year was a better team than this one in my opinion
Maigh Eo for Sam

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 08:56:24 PM »

I'm sure you are in the know, but if secondary is an indication my tix sold early and for decent money. Especially compared to cupcakes

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 09:40:10 PM »
Do they still have Rooster Boy on the roster?

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 09:49:47 PM »
This guy, he's a hoot :o
Please MU don't give him a reason to do his thing, watched a few DePaul games, yikes, but hey do what you got to do young man, college is the time to do it

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-depaul-pantelis-xidias-dancing-bench-20180220-story.html

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 10:15:01 PM »
If this team had done that more against the cupcakes, specifically UTEP, there would not be NET complaints right now.    Just doesn't seem to be the style  this year.

Not for nothing but style points don't appear to be a thing in the NET, it's not a predictive model like Sagrin and KenPom where MU is definitely hurt by non-blow outs. Current NET has MU at 21 which makes sense right now as we're probably over ranked compared to our actual resume
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 10:34:46 PM »
Not for nothing but style points don't appear to be a thing in the NET, it's not a predictive model like Sagrin and KenPom where MU is definitely hurt by non-blow outs. Current NET has MU at 21 which makes sense right now as we're probably over ranked compared to our actual resume
Who behind MU has a better resume?

1SE

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 03:51:14 AM »
Another interesting roster. While they don't have a true aircraft carrier on the roster, they have a ton of size and length. When Devin Gage goes to the bench, they can throw out a lineup that is 6'6", 6'6", 6'9", 6'9", 6'9". What's worse is all five of those players are mobile so any ball screen that we run they will be able to switch on with little to no defensive dropoff. Markus has struggled at times against opponents with long wingspans (see St. John's). He's going to need to pick his spots wisely (or hope for a friendly home whistle).

With Jalen Coleman-Lands out, DePaul only runs a 7.5 man rotation, with the 7th and .5 player combining to average only 3 points a game. People have noted that DePaul has trouble closing out games, this is one of the reasons why. Keep them moving on defense to wear them down and the shots will become easier the later the game goes. Also, any sort of foul trouble could be devastating for DePaul. They've managed to avoid it in the Big East so far with only 2 foul outs total in conference play.

Also with JCL out, DePaul only features two three point shooters. The other 5.5 men in their rotation have combined for a total of 14 3PMs. Strus has 51 and Cain 33 both with 37% accuracy. Stick to those two and you can sag off the others to clog the lane. John will have a lot of rejection opportunities if he can stay healthy. This is a game where it would be nice to get Georgetown Bailey. I think he could really help on Cain.

Everyone knows about Cain and Strus, but it has been the emergence of their big men that have allowed them to win 3 of their last 4. Paul Reed is averaging 16 points and 9.8 rebounds with 58.7% shooting in Big East play. Femi Olujobi is averaging 16.3 points and 5.3 rebounds with 72.6% shooting over the same stretch. Neither can shoot it with much accuracy but they are a efficient scorers. Olujobi a traditional back to the basket big man while Reed is a lot more mobile. Gotta find a way to keep them closer to their non-conference averages than their conference averages.

All this being said, I still expect to win by 10 or so points. I don't think it will be the blowout we hope for against DePaul and I also think it will make us more uncomfortable than we would like. This is the best DePaul team in over a decade. Too bad they are going to lose their top 3 players to graduation. They seem close to breaking out of the basement but that's a lot of production to make up for.

May need Matt ready to step up in this one?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 04:55:55 AM »
I have learned that I don't need to stress just because Marquette is behind by double digits in the first 3/4s of a game.

Repetition is the key to adult learning.   ;D

First MU class, Accounting 101, 1961, Fr. Zigler S.J., "Repetition is the mother of learning" , according to him, a Jesuit thing.

Seems MR does exaxtly that, over, and over, and over, ad infinitum.

Room510

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 07:13:01 AM »
There seems to be a correlation between DePaul's recent improvement, both on the court and in recruiting, and the hiring of these two assistants in 2017

https://depauliaonline.com/37024/sports/new-testimony-in-ncaa-trial-hits-another-depaul-mens-basketball-coach/

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 07:33:32 AM »

When you say resume, I think results. Bracket Matrix consensus has us at 14, the second 4-seed. No losses outside Q1, 7-3 against Q1/2 teams, I'm curious who behind us has a better resume.

I understand the close margins of victory and blowout losses have us rated lower in advanced metrics, and justifiably so, but if you're just lining up wins and losses, 21 seems more likely too low than too high.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 07:35:42 AM »

Kinda like that?

Or the Kansas State game

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2019, 01:43:12 PM »
Biggest game of the season.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2019, 01:56:41 PM »
Biggest game of the season.

And it's gonna be a tough game.

DePaul has the ability to switch everything and not lose a beat defensively, and hits the glass hard. Throw in what will probably be a smaller, midweek crowd and this strikes me as a potential WTF loss.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2019, 04:57:41 PM »
Well, DePaul can't catch a break. Their top recruit next year Markese Jacobs tore his ACL.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 05:09:38 PM »
Well, DePaul can't catch a break. Their top recruit next year Markese Jacobs tore his ACL.
Hopefully the young man has a healthy recovery.

In the meantime because DePaul is on the quarter system, Carte'Are Gordon will be eligible in mid Novemeber. Coach Leitao says Gordon may only miss 4 or 5 games.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire