[Today at 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Scottie Pippen Says Zion Williamson Should "Shut It Down" And End Duke Career  (Read 19749 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
I believe the maximum insurance contract is $5 million.  A Nerlens Noel knee injury at Kentucky or a Joel Embiid type foot injury can cost him orders of magnitude more than this.

Bill Rafferty said he could be the first NBA player with $1 billion in career earnings. 

So, if you are thinking this is unfair.  Zion should drop out now and send Duke $40k for the remaining tuition and room and board and go earn his billions.

It is almost unfair if he stays and gets hurt.  Is Duke going to cover the millions he loses?  Are they going to cover Tre Jones lost wages?

Through ncaa it is $5 mil for b-ball, $10 mil for football.  However, you can go to private market and get higher coverage as some have done in the past....Jamarcus Russell is one example.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MarquetteDano

• All American
I hope he does and we can further stop the nonsense of one and dones.  Don’t even bother recruiting them, because enough will do the same that the elite teams will be reduced to nothing.

Absolutely fine by me to end this nonsense.  Then we can get back to college sports played by people who want to play college sports.  Bring it on.

Agree completely. Better for everyone. More scholarships for individuals who will actually rely on their degree later in life.

Galway Eagle

• All American
I hope he does and we can further stop the nonsense of one and dones.  Don’t even bother recruiting them, because enough will do the same that the elite teams will be reduced to nothing.

Absolutely fine by me to end this nonsense.  Then we can get back to college sports played by people who want to play college sports.  Bring it on.

They won't be reduced to nothing, you'll just have the next tier of kids, the ones we usually get, that will be the new Blue blood recruits. It'll make for greater parity but the elite teams will still corner the market on top talent.
Maigh Eo for Sam

martyconlonontherun

• All American
I believe the maximum insurance contract is $5 million.  A Nerlens Noel knee injury at Kentucky or a Joel Embiid type foot injury can cost him orders of magnitude more than this.

Bill Rafferty said he could be the first NBA player with $1 billion in career earnings. 

So, if you are thinking this is unfair.  Zion should drop out now and send Duke $40k for the remaining tuition and room and board and go earn his billions.

It is almost unfair if he stays and gets hurt.  Is Duke going to cover the millions he loses?  Are they going to cover Tre Jones lost wages?
I agree with your point but that isn't a fair comparison. If you are looking at worst case scenario where he injuries his knee in the next game he plays, the max he would make in the NBA is $20m contract guarantee as the number 1 pick.
You also have to factor in:
1. He could still get injured training, pick-up games, and scooter accidents (where he will lie about it) since he won't be in bubble wrap for the next 3 months
2. His draft stock will take a hit so his max earning will go down.

I am a Marquette fan but the current structure of one and dones make the "purity" of college basketball puke worthy. If you are good enough to play pro ball let them play. Keep amateur sport for the college students who actually need to pass more than one semester.

wadesworld

• All American
There’s literally nothing that says Zion is considering this or doesn’t want to be in college.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Through ncaa it is $5 mil for b-ball, $10 mil for football.  However, you can go to private market and get higher coverage as some have done in the past....Jamarcus Russell is one example.

How much you think an additional $10 million is insurance would cost?  A few hundred thousand dollars.  Maybe several hundred thousand dollars.

The only way he comes up with that kind of money is an agent buys it for him.  Then he is in serious violation of NCAA rules. 

Duke would be ruled ineligible.  Wait, this is Duke, nothing would happen to them.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 06:51:48 AM by Rick Majerus' Towel »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

cheebs09

• All American
Really?  So all these years when every game that was sold out or people viewed without Zion was a lie?  When he is gone next year no one will be watching Zion?  Lol

If you, me, and 3 other members of this board played for Duke, I bet their viewership goes down. They get eye balls because they are good. And they are good because of their players (and coach who is handsomely compensated).

Not A Serious Person

• All American
I agree with your point but that isn't a fair comparison. If you are looking at worst case scenario where he injuries his knee in the next game he plays, the max he would make in the NBA is $20m contract guarantee as the number 1 pick.
You also have to factor in:
1. He could still get injured training, pick-up games, and scooter accidents (where he will lie about it) since he won't be in bubble wrap for the next 3 months
2. His draft stock will take a hit so his max earning will go down.

I am a Marquette fan but the current structure of one and dones make the "purity" of college basketball puke worthy. If you are good enough to play pro ball let them play. Keep amateur sport for the college students who actually need to pass more than one semester.

Yes, he could get in an accident like Jay Williams.

The risk of major injury living ones life is significantly smaller than injury going 100% in a close game against UNC.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
There’s literally nothing that says Zion is considering this or doesn’t want to be in college.

I'm in favor of finding ways to provide players a more fair compensation for what they do, but Zion does seem like one of those kids that really loves to play. I have no doubt he'll be gone to the NBA as soon as he can, but he doesn't strike me as one of those guys that would want to just pump weights and work out for 6 months when there are competitive games still being played that he could be a part of. He'll be at Duke one year, but he does seem to be really enjoying the year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BallBoy

• All American
Who cares.

Duke and the NCAA are making so much money off Zion, while he can’t.

If it’s allowed, (I’m honestly not sure what the rule is) let him quit school completely, aight a shoe deal and make some money off commercials before he even gets to the NBA.

Zion is also getting to market his skills free of charge and gets attention from the best nutrionist, trainers, tutors, and medical staff at no cost. He gives up one year of DLeague pay which is next to nothing for that. The school makes the money which in reality is who people watch. I did not start or stop watching Marquette because we got Markus and I will continue regardless of the team members.

MU82

• All American
It wouldn't bother me in the least from an ethics standpoint if Zion or any other big-name certain NBA star would do what Pippen is advocating, and I wouldn't blame him for leaving.

More than ever, folks believe that college should be a means to an end: getting a career, preferably a good-paying one. Using Duke just as they are using him ... I don't blame him one iota.

But if Zion loves playing college ball, loves his teammates, loves the coaches, loves the competition, loves the DUKE on the jersey, and maybe even gets a thing or two out of a couple of the classes he takes, it's of course A-OK that he stays and plays.

Those who think Duke doesn't sell one more jersey because of Zion ... I dispute that. So every kid who talks dad into buying a Zion jersey was going to want a Duke jersey anyway? Probably not. This guy has caught the imagination of a lot of casual college hoops fans.

If I loved, loved, loved playing basketball at Duke, I'd finish the season. If I only liked it and really wanted to protect my pro career, I'd have zero problems saying, "Thanks for the memories but I'm out."

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
It wouldn't bother me in the least from an ethics standpoint if Zion or any other big-name certain NBA star would do what Pippen is advocating, and I wouldn't blame him for leaving.

More than ever, folks believe that college should be a means to an end: getting a career, preferably a good-paying one. Using Duke just as they are using him ... I don't blame him one iota.

But if Zion loves playing college ball, loves his teammates, loves the coaches, loves the competition, loves the DUKE on the jersey, and maybe even gets a thing or two out of a couple of the classes he takes, it's of course A-OK that he stays and plays.

Those who think Duke doesn't sell one more jersey because of Zion ... I dispute that. So every kid who talks dad into buying a Zion jersey was going to want a Duke jersey anyway? Probably not. This guy has caught the imagination of a lot of casual college hoops fans.

If I loved, loved, loved playing basketball at Duke, I'd finish the season. If I only liked it and really wanted to protect my pro career, I'd have zero problems saying, "Thanks for the memories but I'm out."

To be fair Jabari Parker wore no1 at Duke and Kyrie Irving did as well so maybe it would have sold fairly well.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
To be fair Jabari Parker wore no1 at Duke and Kyrie Irving did as well so maybe it would have sold fairly well.

Yep. But the notion that not a single Duke jersey is being sold because of Zion is silly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
The financial interests of Zion vs the financial interests of Duke....

The argument over whether Zion "owes" Duke (or its fans) anything....

All static.

What about commitment to being part of a TEAM? I don't care about the 1-year vs 4-year part, because his teammates knew he was likely a one-and-done. But Zion's teammates do have a reasonable expectation that he wouldn't bail on them in the middle of a season where they have a very real shot at a Championship. And the DWade argument isn't applicable to the argument over finishing the season, because he played his heart out until the season was over.

There's more to life than money. If he is a good person, he will be a good teammate.

GGGG

• All American
Hope he shuts it down, then maybe the NCAA and NBA will end this farce by requiring kids to go to college who dont want to be in college

The NBA isn't going to care either way.

CTWarrior

• All American
From a financial perspective, there’s zero benefit in continuing to pretend he’s a Duke student. He should go not because of injury risk (any decent agent would have secured an enormous insurance policy for him) but to stick it to the ultimate hypocrites at Duke. Anyone who really believes people are tuning in to Duke games just to watch the school, and not Zion, irretrievably lack common sense and should be forced into a prolonged dinner with four Duke alumni as punishment.

If Williamson leaves the team, there will not be a difference of even one ticket sold at Duke home games.  People do buy tickets to see Duke.  The ratings for Duke games will change marginally (Zion's friends and family).  People do tune in to see Duke.

Williamson is using Duke to build his brand.  Could be a bad business decision for him to stop playing. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Zion is also getting to market his skills free of charge and gets attention from the best nutrionist, trainers, tutors, and medical staff at no cost. He gives up one year of DLeague pay which is next to nothing for that. The school makes the money which in reality is who people watch. I did not start or stop watching Marquette because we got Markus and I will continue regardless of the team members.

Markus Howard may not have specific value to you but having a Markus Howard level player does have value. 

Winning matters.  If it didn't,  DePaul would have just as much fan support, and attendance levels, as Marquette does.

Quality of competition matters, too.  That's why the Big East has a TV contract and the WIAC doesn't.   WIAC schools have just as many as, or more students than, BE schools.   But the name on the front of the jersey means less when you have D-3 quality players instead of D-1.

CTWarrior

• All American
Markus Howard may not have specific value to you but having a Markus Howard level player does have value. 

Winning matters.  If it didn't,  DePaul would have just as much fan support, and attendance levels, as Marquette does.

Quality of competition matters, too.  That's why the Big East has a TV contract and the WIAC doesn't.   WIAC schools have just as many as, or more students than, BE schools.   But the name on the front of the jersey means less when you have D-3 quality players instead of D-1.
I agree with much of what you are saying.  I expect the value of any individual performer is inversely proportional to how good the school has been over time.  A school like Duke is maxed out because they expect to compete for ACC and national titles year in and year out regardless of whether or not Zion Williamson attends.  If he were to attend Marquette, I'm sure he would move the dial in attendance and ratings a small percentage.  If he were to attend a school like East Tennessee State, I'm sure he would move the dial a great deal.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

WarriorDad

• All American
Yep. But the notion that not a single Duke jersey is being sold because of Zion is silly.

Fans buy #1 jerseys of their team to denote their fandom as the best, or number 1, too. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Pakuni

• All American
I agree with much of what you are saying.  I expect the value of any individual performer is inversely proportional to how good the school has been over time.  A school like Duke is maxed out because they expect to compete for ACC and national titles year in and year out regardless of whether or not Zion Williamson attends.  If he were to attend Marquette, I'm sure he would move the dial in attendance and ratings a small percentage.  If he were to attend a school like East Tennessee State, I'm sure he would move the dial a great deal.

Duke isn't Duke because they have the word "Duke" on their jerseys. Duke is Duke because it consistently brings in players like Zion Williamson. Stop landing players like Zion, and they'll no longer be maxed out.

WarriorDad

• All American

Winning does matter, but a team like Loyola won without any NBA future stars on their team.  One isn't required of the other.  Schools like Duke, Marquette, Villanova that put emphasis on basketball will have better players and more fans, because they win.  If Zion stops playing, Duke will still have good players and likely fans will still watch to see if they can absorb his loss. 

Zion didn't make Duke, Duke helped make Zion.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American

Zion is a continuation of the Duke brand.  His career at Duke will be short and fleeting.  But he will help provide future value just as past players did, like Christian Laettner, Grant Hill, Bobby Hurley, etc.

Players aren't the sole provider of value.  They're part of the equation,  along with things like conference affiliation,  having a star coach, and yes, even one's alumni status.

The name on the front is a huge part of one's rooting interest.  It's often the tipping point for fans choosing which team to support.  But it's folly to ignore the other factors.

College athletes have such fleeting careers that it is hard to calculate their value in real time.  The athletes enter college with little value attached to their names, and shortly after establishing their value they are gone.  Much of their value is in the future support of the program.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:49:05 AM by Lazar's Headband »

Galway Eagle

• All American
Zion is a continuation of the Duke brand.  His career at Duke will be short and fleeting.  But he will help provide future value just as past players did, like Christian Laettner, Grant Hill, Bobby Hurley, etc.

Players aren't the sole provider of value.  They're part of the equation,  along with things like conference affiliation,  having a star coach, and yes, even one's alumni status.

The name on the front is a huge part of one's rooting interest.  It's often the tipping point for fans choosing which team to support.  But it's folly to ignore the other factors.

College athletes have such fleeting careers that is hard to calculate their value in real time.  The athletes enter college with little value attached to their names, and shortly after establishing their value they are gone.  Much of their value is in the future support of the program.

This. Especially the last paragraph.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
Zion didn't make Duke, Duke helped make Zion.

What? No. Duke did nothing to make Zion. The kid has been making ESPN highlights since he was a freshman in high school. He had more Twitter followers as a high schooler than most NBA players.

Galway Eagle

• All American
What? No. Duke did nothing to make Zion. The kid has been making ESPN highlights since he was a freshman in high school. He had more Twitter followers as a high schooler than most NBA players.

Duke did give Zion a well known platform to showcase himself as opposed to someone like charles bassey at WKU
Maigh Eo for Sam