[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: National Marquette Day  (Read 7700 times)

MU82

• All American
National Marquette Day
« on: January 16, 2019, 12:10:18 PM »
The previous Charlotte MU group leader fell off the face of the earth -- literally; just ask Kyrie Irving -- and I got volunteered to take over.

Had to scramble a bit for NMD because the place we had our game-watching event in past years changed management and demanded a minimum group spend, which we weren't gonna do. I just finalized accommodations with another joint.

Any of y'all in CLT or nearby who have questions, feel free to PM me. Hoping for our biggest turnout in years, given the buzz around this (Buzz-less) team.

Very psyched. We're gonna beat Nova and roll to the BEast title!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: National Marquette Day
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 12:27:55 PM »
Just gonna piggy back off this post and say if any alumni/study abroad students in Ireland are interested there will be a game watching party in Galway.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 12:37:04 PM »
Just gonna piggy back off this post and say if any alumni/study abroad students in Ireland are interested there will be a game watching party in Galway.

Maybe they need to rename it to International Marquette Day?

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 12:42:33 PM »
Does anyone know how you can get standing room tickets for the Fiserv. I have heard they do that for Bucks games but have no heard anything about Marqutte doing it

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 12:53:33 PM »
Maybe they need to rename it to International Marquette Day?

Why limit yourself?  Universal Marquette Day!

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 12:55:15 PM »
Why limit yourself?  Universal Marquette Day!

Multidimensional Marquette Day!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 12:56:58 PM »
The previous Charlotte MU group leader fell off the face of the earth -- literally; just ask Kyrie Irving -- and I got volunteered to take over.

Had to scramble a bit for NMD because the place we had our game-watching event in past years changed management and demanded a minimum group spend, which we weren't gonna do. I just finalized accommodations with another joint.

Any of y'all in CLT or nearby who have questions, feel free to PM me. Hoping for our biggest turnout in years, given the buzz around this (Buzz-less) team.

Thanks for stepping up 82.  We need more scoopers across the country taking active roles as alumni.  I can speak from family experience about what it's like to show up in a new town knowing absolutely nobody and having folks at an alumni function become one's first social network.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 01:02:36 PM »

Pretty sure eye kan getta bunch tagither and crash yo pardy, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 01:04:01 PM »
So here's the currently scheduled NMD game watching events world-wide.  If you live in one of these places, get your butt off your couch and go.  If your town isn't represented, get hold of Advancements and volunteer a little time so it is.  Sure, you've got too many friends already.   ::)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1vb069bg6SJAiVPLncqICitOlFpPy7iD8&ll=46.53445911970517%2C-73.76214064999999&z=3
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:09:04 PM by jsglow »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 01:07:18 PM »

I enjoyed my time at the helm of our local MU alumni association.  I also enjoyed the conclusion of my time at the helm.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 02:53:55 PM »
At my son's basketball game this past Saturday, I saw a young lady with a Marquette sweatshirt on.   I walked up and said hi and explained why and she directed me to her mother, MU law, 1998, who had no idea who MU was playing that day or THAT MU was playing that day.   Ah, well.    Just one more things to roll my eyes about. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 03:16:52 PM »
At my son's basketball game this past Saturday, I saw a young lady with a Marquette sweatshirt on.   I walked up and said hi and explained why and she directed me to her mother, MU law, 1998, who had no idea who MU was playing that day or THAT MU was playing that day.   Ah, well.    Just one more things to roll my eyes about.

I was in the Choir during my time at MU. Out of the 60 or so members there were only 6 of us who would go to the games and had any real interest in the team though that was starting to change by my Junior Year. Not everyone is into sports or college basketball. In fact I was not that much interested basketball until I came to MU though I followed Bill Bradley when he was at Princeton when I was in High School.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 03:19:49 PM by muwarrior69 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 03:19:03 PM »
I am on duty that day anyway.   So my enjoyment of National Marquette day is contingent upon the kindness of strangers.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 03:39:09 PM »
So here's the currently scheduled NMD game watching events world-wide.  If you live in one of these places, get your butt off your couch and go.  If your town isn't represented, get hold of Advancements and volunteer a little time so it is.  Sure, you've got too many friends already.   ::)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1vb069bg6SJAiVPLncqICitOlFpPy7iD8&ll=46.53445911970517%2C-73.76214064999999&z=3

Huh. I had no idea Commonwealth Tavern was a Marquette bar. That reminds me that I did actually watch a game there and won a gift card during trivia while the game was going. I imagine that it's no longer valid.

That said, I will be in MKE that day to enjoy it live!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 03:41:18 PM by JakeBarnes »
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 06:04:49 PM »
I am on duty that day anyway.   So my enjoyment of National Marquette day is contingent upon the kindness of strangers.

Well, if Nova gets hot and is on fire we know who to call to put the fire out.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 06:07:16 PM »
Out of my district.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 06:33:42 PM »
Says the guy who drives 52 hours to work every day. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 07:17:02 PM »
Doing one better, a bunch of us are flying to Milwaukee to attend the game in person
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 07:17:58 PM »

Probably ucked-fayed den, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 08:34:41 PM »
No more or less than usual.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 08:42:46 PM »
Doing one better, a bunch of us are flying to Milwaukee to attend the game in person

Let’s have beer Jamie. I’ll be at Buck Bradley’s.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 09:52:42 PM »
Let’s have beer Jamie. I’ll be at Buck Bradley’s.

Would love to if serious.  A bunch of us celebrating our 50th birthdays, a reunion
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2019, 07:53:57 AM »
Thanks for stepping up 82.  We need more scoopers across the country taking active roles as alumni.  I can speak from family experience about what it's like to show up in a new town knowing absolutely nobody and having folks at an alumni function become one's first social network.

When we moved to Charlotte in 2010, we didn't know anybody. That fall, I contacted the national Marquette alumni folks and asked if there was any Charlotte MU contact for game watching and the like. I was put in touch with the guy heading the group and those folks became our first friends in the area. I still hang out with several of them, and my wife and I have two MU couples friends. I am very happy to pay it forward.

I enjoyed my time at the helm of our local MU alumni association.  I also enjoyed the conclusion of my time at the helm.

Indeed. I'm willing to do this for the rest of the season, but I'll probably be encouraging somebody else to volunteer for next year and beyond. We'll see, though. Next season is going to be spectacular, with lots of excitement, so I want to make sure we're representin' here!

OK. Do it. (If you said what I think you did.)

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 08:04:51 AM »
Does anyone know the song they use before tip to pump up the crowd? It starts off something like Are you ready, and kinda repeats the same are you ready multiple times.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2019, 10:57:05 PM »
Does anyone know the song they use before tip to pump up the crowd? It starts off something like Are you ready, and kinda repeats the same are you ready multiple times.

We Ready- Archie Eversole

MU82

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2019, 11:26:57 PM »
Quite worried about the weather forecast, specifically the ability for Mrs. 82 and I to fly into Milwaukee on Saturday afternoon, not to mention my daughter flying in from Seattle.

As if unpaid air-traffic controllers and TSA agents aren't enough of a concern ...

EDIT: Oops ... this doesn't belong in NMD thread. NM!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:44:16 PM by MU82 »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2019, 11:34:14 PM »
Would love to if serious.  A bunch of us celebrating our 50th birthdays, a reunion

We’ll be on 2nd floor. Might a few fellow scoopers too.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2019, 11:49:44 PM »
Quite worried about the weather forecast, specifically the ability for Mrs. 82 and I to fly into Milwaukee on Saturday afternoon, not to mention my daughter flying in from Seattle.

As if unpaid air-traffic controllers and TSA agents aren't enough of a concern ...

EDIT: Oops ... this doesn't belong in NMD thread. NM!

TSA was so great when they were paid......ooops....this doesn't belong in NMD thread. NM!  Easy way to solve this.  At any rate, safe travels to you all.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2019, 11:51:17 PM »
We’ll be on 2nd floor. Might a few fellow scoopers too.

We will be in the lower bowl somewhere, not sure where just yet.  Details still being resolved.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2019, 11:53:54 PM »

I've promised beers on this board. Let me know. I'll prolly be at rumpus room, but can change venue

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2019, 04:53:01 AM »
We will be in the lower bowl somewhere, not sure where just yet.  Details still being resolved.

2nd floor at Bradley’s pregame

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2019, 09:59:03 AM »

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2019, 11:06:51 AM »
My crew will be at Buck Bradley’s on the 2nd floor as well. Sounds like there’ll be a scoop party.
Bring back FFP!!!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2019, 11:11:56 AM »
My crew will be at Buck Bradley’s on the 2nd floor as well. Sounds like there’ll be a scoop party.

It's called a beer summit

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2019, 04:45:09 PM »
We will probably be at Vagabond’s. Five lady Warriors in gold.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2019, 05:42:15 PM »

You know Cornbread Maxwell isn't gonna be there, right?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2019, 11:53:12 AM »
It's called a beer summit

Four people and 38 usernames will be represented!

source?

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2019, 05:01:39 PM »
Four people and 38 usernames will be represented!

Which user names can't make it?