'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Man do I love the Hausers  (Read 72694 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Man do I love the Hausers
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2019, 01:53:00 PM »
Purposely avoiding the HE/Joey discussion, I do think he will benefit from a summer in the weight room. But I'll bet it is a high priority item for Todd.

I agree. I think some of the sloppiness that can occur when he takes the ball inside might be mitigated by just getting stronger through the contact. Joey is still a hell of a player as is.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2019, 04:28:46 PM »
Henry’s post defense was serviceable, but he was a turnstile in space.

As most guys his size are.

Yet.....I'm not even sure how accurate that is.

I went back and looked at his synergy numbers from that season. There were 44 different times that Henry's assignment tried to take him in isolation. In those 44 attempts, Henry only surrendered 22 points for a points per possession of 0.5. That 0.5 number was in the 89th percentile of all Division One players. That would seem to indicate that he was actually pretty good at defending in space...but of course guarding against isolation and guarding in space aren't necessarily the same thing.

Defending against isolation plays was actually the strongest point of Henry's individual defense. He was average against spot up shooters (47th percentile) and average against post ups (43rd percentile). Where he struggled was where our entire team struggled that season, against pick and roll play guarding both the roll man (34th percentile) and the ball handler (6th percentile).

Now an interesting note about his isolation defense. When he would get isoed and his assignment took a jump shot, he was actually awful (26th percentile). But on isos where his man would drive to the hoop he was elite (98th percentile). So it's possible some of the Henry can't guard in space memories come from pick and roll plays and jump shots.

This is the hard thing about being a fan. We are very good at identifying problems with and good things about individual offense, team offense, and team defense. In my experience, fans (myself included) have trouble picking out those same things about individual defense. It is hard to pay attention to what each individual player is doing on defense because the reality is, if they are playing good defense their opponent won't even get a shot up so it doesn't seem memorable. We remember the big steals, blocks, and shot clock violations and we also remember when a player gets embarrassed or manhandled on the defensive end. We don't remember the fundamentally sound defense that forced an opponent to pass to someone else or shoot a contested a jumpshot.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:30:33 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2019, 04:43:51 PM »
Henry was a good rebounder on the defensive boards and was good defensively in the lane when he played center when Fischer was in foul trouble.  Otherwise, he reallly struggled on his heels and laterallly on defense when playing forward.  We all noted that on the MU boards during his one season. Loved Henry, but his D was rather lacking outside of those defensive boards.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2019, 06:54:29 PM »

I went back and looked at his synergy numbers from that season. There were 44 different times that Henry's assignment tried to take him in isolation. In those 44 attempts, Henry only surrendered 22 points for a points per possession of 0.5. That 0.5 number was in the 89th percentile of all Division One players. That would seem to indicate that he was actually pretty good at defending in space...but of course guarding against isolation and guarding in space aren't necessarily the same thing.

Defending against isolation plays was actually the strongest point of Henry's individual defense. He was average against spot up shooters (47th percentile) and average against post ups (43rd percentile). Where he struggled was where our entire team struggled that season, against pick and roll play guarding both the roll man (34th percentile) and the ball handler (6th percentile).

Now an interesting note about his isolation defense. When he would get isoed and his assignment took a jump shot, he was actually awful (26th percentile). But on isos where his man would drive to the hoop he was elite (98th percentile). So it's possible some of the Henry can't guard in space memories come from pick and roll plays and jump shots.

This is the hard thing about being a fan. We are very good at identifying problems with and good things about individual offense, team offense, and team defense. In my experience, fans (myself included) have trouble picking out those same things about individual defense. It is hard to pay attention to what each individual player is doing on defense because the reality is, if they are playing good defense their opponent won't even get a shot up so it doesn't seem memorable. We remember the big steals, blocks, and shot clock violations and we also remember when a player gets embarrassed or manhandled on the defensive end. We don't remember the fundamentally sound defense that forced an opponent to pass to someone else or shoot a contested a jumpshot.

This post is a good example of why we keep you on Scoop.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2019, 07:12:13 PM »
My BIL (a Tennessee grad) calls Marquette "A couple of albinos and Sideshow Bob".

Does your BIL drool a lot ?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2019, 07:21:37 PM »
Henry was a good rebounder on the defensive boards and was good defensively in the lane when he played center when Fischer was in foul trouble.  Otherwise, he reallly struggled on his heels and laterallly on defense when playing forward.  We all noted that on the MU boards during his one season. Loved Henry, but his D was rather lacking outside of those defensive boards.

Honestly, trust the eye test of scoopers as far as I can throw it...And since you can't throw theoretical objects...
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2019, 07:48:03 PM »
But on isos where his man would drive to the hoop he was elite (98th percentile). So it's possible some of the Henry can't guard in space memories come from pick and roll plays and jump shots.

One of the things Henry got really good at was forcing his man wide when defending the drive. It wasn't always a strength, but as the season went on he used his length better and forced drivers to try to go around him, which didn't work well because his 7+ foot wingspan would force them into awkward angles.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2019, 07:50:20 PM »

What is source of data out of curiosity?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2019, 08:17:08 PM »
What is source of data out of curiosity?

Synergy
TAMU

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2019, 08:43:26 PM »
Honestly, trust the eye test of scoopers as far as I can throw it...And since you can't throw theoretical objects...
[/quote Henry was a decent defender as a center...at forward, not really.  Those theoreticals are really biased by rebounds, blocks and steals.  Chartouneys #s from the past don’t look so good now. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2019, 08:47:40 PM »
Those theoreticals are really biased by rebounds, blocks and steals.

I'm pretty sure that's not how Synergy works at all.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2019, 09:34:20 PM »

This is incredible, TAMU. I honestly didn't even know that any of this data existed.

As for "what if Henry was on this team" ... he and Markus would have some interesting rock-paper-scissors contests to see who got the ball.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2019, 09:53:21 PM »
[/quote Henry was a decent defender as a center...at forward, not really.  Those theoreticals are really biased by rebounds, blocks and steals.  Chartouneys #s from the past don’t look so good now.

I'm not sure what happened here.

If you are saying my numbers are biased by steals, blocks and rebounds, no they are not. Synergy does not look at blocks, steals, or rebounds. There are stats such as d-rating which are biased to blocks, steals, and rebounds. That's one of the reasons I don't put a lot of stock in d-rating when judging individual defense. I also think eye tests are biased by blocks, steals and rebounds.

I'm not sure what you are saying about Chartouny. His defense has been fantastic for us. Its his offense that is the problem and that was always a question with with him.
TAMU

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2019, 10:13:17 PM »
I'm not sure what happened here.

If you are saying my numbers are biased by steals, blocks and rebounds, no they are not. Synergy does not look at blocks, steals, or rebounds. There are stats such as d-rating which are biased to blocks, steals, and rebounds. That's one of the reasons I don't put a lot of stock in d-rating when judging individual defense. I also think eye tests are biased by blocks, steals and rebounds.

I'm not sure what you are saying about Chartouny. His defense has been fantastic for us. Its his offense that is the problem and that was always a question with with him.
I was not addressing Synergy.  But, big problem with Synergy is that it measures what happens, not why it happened.  Guys are out of position or make mistakes that result in others being “blamed”.   No system will ever measure that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2019, 11:44:23 PM »
I was not addressing Synergy.  But, big problem with Synergy is that it measures what happens, not why it happened.  Guys are out of position or make mistakes that result in others being “blamed”.   No system will ever measure that.

This is true. But it goes both ways. There is just as much chance that other guys were out of position and Henry got "blamed" for other's mistakes. In fact, I know that happened a lot that season since our guards had very poor containment ability.

Services like synergy don't paint a perfect picture but over the course of a season, they can paint a pretty accurate one. In a single game, there is a small enough sample size that a few "flukes" (for lack of a better word) could drastically alter the accuracy of a tool like this. But over the course of an entire season? Not so much.

What's more likely? That with thousands of points of data, Henry got so many "flukes" with no regression to the mean, that it gave him the numbers of a very good defender when he was actually a very poor one? Or is it more likely that in a bad season, Scoopers' eye tests picked up on and remembered more bad moments than good moments, even if there were more good moments? It's not a bad thing, its just part of being a sports fan. We remember the very good, and we remember the bad. We don't remember the regular good.
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2019, 02:06:52 PM »
Winning plays at winning time.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2019, 03:05:03 PM »
AVERAGE(Sam, Joey) > AVERAGE(Henry, Wally)

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2019, 04:35:06 PM »
AVERAGE(Sam, Joey) > AVERAGE(Henry, Wally)

MIN, MAX, and MODE as well

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2019, 04:10:16 PM »
Bump........could we just pin this thread?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2019, 04:12:46 PM »
Sam and Joey would overwhelm the Ellenson brothers.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2019, 06:34:36 AM »
Nice write up from Dauster.

Also a nice discussion of the Big Ten mediocrity (that could probable apply to the BE also).

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2019/01/27/saturdays-things-to-know-the-big-12-rolls-kentuckys-back-justin-robinson-breaks-out/

MU82

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2019, 04:58:59 PM »
Still love the Hausers.

But that's two horrible games in a row for Joey, and 4 points and 3 turnovers combined from the Hausers against Nova -- and we still won.

If Markus had done anything close to that, the pitchforks and torches would have come out.

Hell, he had a bad turnover today and some Scoopers are willing to throw his 38 points into the toilet. Sometimes I wonder.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2019, 05:02:50 PM »
Still love the Hausers.

But that's two horrible games in a row for Joey, and 4 points and 3 turnovers combined from the Hausers against Nova -- and we still won.

If Markus had done anything close to that, the pitchforks and torches would have come out.

Hell, he had a bad turnover today and some Scoopers are willing to throw his 38 points into the toilet. Sometimes I wonder.

Co-sign!

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2019, 05:03:45 PM »
Yeah idk what the deal is. They both were abysmal this week. We need them to play well if we wanna make a run in March

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2019, 05:05:05 PM »
I agree. I think some of the sloppiness that can occur when he takes the ball inside might be mitigated by just getting stronger through the contact. Joey is still a hell of a player as is.
He has already been in the program. Has he not already been in the weight room the past year?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.